I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
User avatar
SaintN'Sinner83
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 20666
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:00 pm
Location: Outta This World...while Inside the Vortex.

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

Sorry, but I don't get the need some have to tow the line...against their own interest as fans.

Gene and Paul's reasoning is bullshit. Period.
If they'd admitted their creative juices are low OR that they just didn't want to make music - at least that's respectably honest and valid.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by TheSpoiler »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 am Sorry, but I don't get the need some have to tow the line...against their own interest as fans.

Gene and Paul's reasoning is bullshit. Period.
If they'd admitted their creative juices are low OR that they just didn't want to make music - at least that's respectably honest and valid.
The real reason is likely Paul's voice. But you can't blame them for not coming out and saying "we're not doing another album because my voice is fucked", can you?
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10850
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by jannep17 »

Put the sex in my ex wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 am
jannep17 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:10 pm I'm fine with Monster being the last album.
They had a good run, with a majority of the albums being either great or good.
Im not fine with Monster being The last album. I wish it never existed... I didnt thought that KISS could sink so low and release something that is pure shit

But I dont want another album and the reason for that is probably the same reasons many others dont care for another album

1. Who wants a Monster part 2?

2. Tommy Thayer sucks

3. Pauls voice is gone

4. No outside writers

5. Paul as a producer is not the best choice
I don't think Monster is that bad. It's just not that good. It's a pale copy of a once great band.

I think HITS and CoS are worse than Monster. Bits of Crazy Nights goes there too.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:06 pm Bob, from what was posted about here, said the production on Monster wasn't good. Which isn't untrue.

But, we've not that much details on what exactly was said.

Saying he said anything else is "I want Ezrin to think the same as me so I'm gonna say so."
Unless you were told what he said.
User avatar
Sinisha
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 03, 2021 3:26 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Sinisha »

Let’s try to look at the record companies point of view. Why invest money into something that’s barely officially released,in a blink of an eye available for free on the internet? Maybe that’s the most important reason.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

Sinisha wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 am Let’s try to look at the record companies point of view. Why invest money into something that’s barely officially released,in a blink of an eye available for free on the internet? Maybe that’s the most important reason.
Granted, KISS are the bottom of the list priority wise at Universal - they and many other record companies are still releasing tons of albums.
User avatar
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:34 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by joma5477 »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 am Sorry, but I don't get the need some have to tow the line...against their own interest as fans.
Tow what line? Many of us don't care one way or the other. They certainly could do an album if they wanted to, they don't. The money aspect was the bottom reason I said why not. If it were lucrative, they'd likely do one despite the other reasons.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:13 am
SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 am Sorry, but I don't get the need some have to tow the line...against their own interest as fans.
Tow what line? Many of us don't care one way or the other. They certainly could do an album if they wanted to, they don't. The money aspect was the bottom reason I said why not. If it were lucrative, they'd likely do one despite the other reasons.
When a Soul Station album costs far more than a new KISS album would, it kind of shoots holes through the money excuse, especially when said SS album is a total bomb.
User avatar
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:34 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:16 am
joma5477 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:13 am
SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:28 am Sorry, but I don't get the need some have to tow the line...against their own interest as fans.
Tow what line? Many of us don't care one way or the other. They certainly could do an album if they wanted to, they don't. The money aspect was the bottom reason I said why not. If it were lucrative, they'd likely do one despite the other reasons.
When a Soul Station album costs far more than a new KISS album would, it kind of shoots holes through the money excuse, especially when said SS album is a total bomb.
It's not financially detrimental, but the point is there's not a financial incentive for them to do it. G&P are motivated by money. There's not enough money in an album that would convince them to do one. It would have to be for reasons other than money, which they clearly aren't interested in doing.
User avatar
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Much Too Soon »

They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
User avatar
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

KISS is a business venture. It's not music they love writing or doing at 70+ and they have nothing more to prove or anyone to impress.

The sole reason for Sonic Boom and Monster was to make money. I could even imagine Sonic Boom was a "why not?" project with them re-recording old songs anyways as a way to keep more of the royalties off them themselves.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
User avatar
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Much Too Soon »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
You have any documentation ....reputable sources? If something is up on YouTube and is copied is that tracked? ....Nope.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by TheSpoiler »

Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
You have any documentation ....reputable sources? If something is up on YouTube and is copied is that tracked? ....Nope.
Correct. It's torrenting etc that has reduced. People either stream or DL from something like YT or Invidious. THAT has run riot.
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10850
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by jannep17 »

Downloading?!?! Is that still a thing?
Who bothers when everything is on streaming. Spotify and Apple Music is stealing Kiss' money.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
You have any documentation ....reputable sources? If something is up on YouTube and is copied is that tracked? ....Nope.
There are numerous studies that make this same point.

Study Again Shows 'Pirates' Tend to Be The Biggest Buyers of Legal Content

https://www.vice.com/en/article/evkmz7/ ... al-content
User avatar
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:34 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
That's because you can just legally stream it now... Either with a fairly low cost subscription or free with commercials. Either way, the artist is making jack from it...
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:24 am
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
That's because you can just legally stream it now... Either with a fairly low cost subscription or free with commercials. Either way, the artist is making jack from it...
And yet, I can't keep up with all the amazing music still being released from newer and older bands. Seems like there is more now than in the 80's and 90's.
User avatar
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:34 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:41 am
And yet, I can't keep up with all the amazing music still being released from newer and older bands. Seems like there is more now than in the 80's and 90's.
There probably is. For people inspired to make music, it's probably easier than ever. For people that want to make money off music, it's not the ideal era...
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:24 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:41 am
And yet, I can't keep up with all the amazing music still being released from newer and older bands. Seems like there is more now than in the 80's and 90's.
There probably is. For people inspired to make music, it's probably easier than ever. For people that want to make money off music, it's not the ideal era...
Well it should be much less of a concern for musicians who are multi-millionaires. Many not not named Paul or Gene have no problem making new music, but yes - it is not good for newer artists. Having said that, it hasn't stopped them for making new music continually and to tour outside of the pandemic.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 pm Well it should be much less of a concern for musicians who are multi-millionaires. Many not not named Paul or Gene have no problem making new music, but yes - it is not good for newer artists. Having said that, it hasn't stopped them for making new music continually and to tour outside of the pandemic.
Image

Paul did, and you complained about it. Surprise.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:26 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 pm Well it should be much less of a concern for musicians who are multi-millionaires. Many not not named Paul or Gene have no problem making new music, but yes - it is not good for newer artists. Having said that, it hasn't stopped them for making new music continually and to tour outside of the pandemic.
Image

Paul did, and you complained about it. Surprise.

Well it's dogshit and something nobody asked for. If Paul wants to make a polka album next, are you gonna be a sunshine pumper about that too?
User avatar
aceeg
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3060
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:19 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by aceeg »

They should do it for the fans for themselves.
They could record for free on pro tools!
User avatar
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Much Too Soon »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
You have any documentation ....reputable sources? If something is up on YouTube and is copied is that tracked? ....Nope.
There are numerous studies that make this same point.

Study Again Shows 'Pirates' Tend to Be The Biggest Buyers of Legal Content

https://www.vice.com/en/article/evkmz7/ ... al-content
Ha Ha. A survey.....of 1000 people. Oh goody....that settles it :D
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:46 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
You have any documentation ....reputable sources? If something is up on YouTube and is copied is that tracked? ....Nope.
There are numerous studies that make this same point.

Study Again Shows 'Pirates' Tend to Be The Biggest Buyers of Legal Content

https://www.vice.com/en/article/evkmz7/ ... al-content
Ha Ha. A survey.....of 1000 people. Oh goody....that settles it :D
Google is your friend. Many studies have confirmed this since 2009 for fuck sake. I don't know why this is such a revelation to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/ ... more-music
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:11 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:26 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 pm Well it should be much less of a concern for musicians who are multi-millionaires. Many not not named Paul or Gene have no problem making new music, but yes - it is not good for newer artists. Having said that, it hasn't stopped them for making new music continually and to tour outside of the pandemic.
Image

Paul did, and you complained about it. Surprise.

Well it's dogshit and something nobody asked for. If Paul wants to make a polka album next, are you gonna be a sunshine pumper about that too?
Ah, HeyMan is setting out his stall early for a royally whiny weekend, with the words "dogshit" and "pathetic" ready to go with keyboard macros, and an unkind word for all. :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:18 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:11 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:26 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 pm Well it should be much less of a concern for musicians who are multi-millionaires. Many not not named Paul or Gene have no problem making new music, but yes - it is not good for newer artists. Having said that, it hasn't stopped them for making new music continually and to tour outside of the pandemic.
Image

Paul did, and you complained about it. Surprise.

Well it's dogshit and something nobody asked for. If Paul wants to make a polka album next, are you gonna be a sunshine pumper about that too?
Ah, HeyMan is setting out his stall early for a royally whiny weekend, with the words "dogshit" and "pathetic" ready to go with keyboard macros, and an unkind word for all. :lol: :lol:
Nope. Just stating reality, which apparently triggers you. Have a good night.
User avatar
KissCannibal
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:08 pm
Location: Central,Illinois

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by KissCannibal »

peterparker78 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:25 pm If as rumoured Paul really can't sing right, then he should rest his voice completely or risk destroying it forever. Thought for long time that Kiss were pretty much out of ideas, these days they are performing an updated version of their 1970s' show, the very thing which made them stand out and be successful in the first place. It's one reason many bands only last 3 - 4 albums of success, they run out of ideas & the saying "you have your entire life up that point to write your first album, maybe 6 months or less for the 'difficult' follow up" applies. Mind, it were easy we'd all do it....
"If as rumoured Paul really can't sing right"

It wouldn't matter if Paul Stanley was singing like it was 1992 right now. The album would still get bashed. :wink:
User avatar
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Much Too Soon »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:56 pm
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:46 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
You have any documentation ....reputable sources? If something is up on YouTube and is copied is that tracked? ....Nope.
There are numerous studies that make this same point.

Study Again Shows 'Pirates' Tend to Be The Biggest Buyers of Legal Content

https://www.vice.com/en/article/evkmz7/ ... al-content
Ha Ha. A survey.....of 1000 people. Oh goody....that settles it :D
Google is your friend. Many studies have confirmed this since 2009 for fuck sake. I don't know why this is such a revelation to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/ ... more-music
Great Einstein. Pirates pay pennies on the dollar for music because the industry KNOWS if prices increased to 70’s 80’s and 90’s era music....the stealers will go back to ONLY ....stealing.

Such a pathetic attempt on your part to mislead with the “are more likely to buy overall”.

He he he ...yes...for “fuck sake”... https://www.riaa.com/reports/the-true-c ... s-economy/

Here ya go Brainiac
0A04E665-7CB6-424B-BC22-DDAD29850654.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Much Too Soon on Fri May 14, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ftjr1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:00 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by ftjr1974 »

At this point in time, I don't see it happening for one reason and one reason only: Paul's vocals. He was straining on Sonic Boom and even worse on Monster and that was with technology. At first I thought he sounded great on Soul Station. But the more I listened, the more I realized that he didn't sound that good after all and the back up singers are what save that album for me anyways. So if Paul is struggling in Soul Station on subdued vocals with technology, no way in hell he can sing on a new Kiss record the way we expect him to sound on a Kiss album and still be respectable. Best hope is they find some old high quality demos with him on vocals, mix them well and pass them off as new Kiss songs on a new Kiss record.
User avatar
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Much Too Soon »

ftjr1974 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:31 pm At this point in time, I don't see it happening for one reason and one reason only: Paul's vocals. He was straining on Sonic Boom and even worse on Monster and that was with technology. At first I thought he sounded great on Soul Station. But the more I listened, the more I realized that he didn't sound that good after all and the back up singers are what save that album for me anyways. So if Paul is struggling in Soul Station on subdued vocals with technology, no way in hell he can sing on a new Kiss record the way we expect him to sound on a Kiss album and still be respectable. Best hope is they find some old high quality demos with him on vocals, mix them well and pass them off as new Kiss songs on a new Kiss record.
Yep. The dude is 70 🤷🏼‍♂️
User avatar
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1510
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by FiveCardStud »

Did no one hear how awesome he sounded on Fire and Water?
Or are we just pretending that didn’t happen to be anti Paul?

That vocal fucking rocks whatever magic they did that day can be done again
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:19 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:56 pm
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:46 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
You have any documentation ....reputable sources? If something is up on YouTube and is copied is that tracked? ....Nope.
There are numerous studies that make this same point.

Study Again Shows 'Pirates' Tend to Be The Biggest Buyers of Legal Content

https://www.vice.com/en/article/evkmz7/ ... al-content
Ha Ha. A survey.....of 1000 people. Oh goody....that settles it :D
Google is your friend. Many studies have confirmed this since 2009 for fuck sake. I don't know why this is such a revelation to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/ ... more-music
Great Einstein. Pirates pay pennies on the dollar for music because the industry KNOWS if prices increased to 70’s 80’s and 90’s era music....the stealers will go back to ONLY ....stealing.

Such a pathetic attempt on your part to mislead with the “are more likely to buy overall”.

He he he ...yes...for “fuck sake”... https://www.riaa.com/reports/the-true-c ... s-economy/

Here ya go Brainiac
0A04E665-7CB6-424B-BC22-DDAD29850654.jpeg
I am sorry that you are offended by every single study done on this for both music and movies.

No one is saying that piracy isn't a problem, but truth be told - the music industry/riaa made their bed here. They fucked up and continue to do so. The genie is never going back into the bottle.

However the people who are still buying music are those who may illegally download from time to time. I am not saying it is right, but millennials sure as shit are not buying music. It is the older generation that still value physical media, etc.
User avatar
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:34 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 pm
Well it should be much less of a concern for musicians who are multi-millionaires. Many not not named Paul or Gene have no problem making new music, but yes - it is not good for newer artists. Having said that, it hasn't stopped them for making new music continually and to tour outside of the pandemic.
Could they make an album, sure. Personally, I don't give a shit either way. Paul can't sing and I don't particularly want to hear another cosplay bro effort. The last two albums are the worst in the catalog. There's nothing to make me think a new album would be any better...so I'm of the fuck all opinion. I'm just saying from an outsider looking in...here are reasons they don't bother...
User avatar
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3682
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:37 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 pm
Well it should be much less of a concern for musicians who are multi-millionaires. Many not not named Paul or Gene have no problem making new music, but yes - it is not good for newer artists. Having said that, it hasn't stopped them for making new music continually and to tour outside of the pandemic.
Could they make an album, sure. Personally, I don't give a shit either way. Paul can't sing and I don't particularly want to hear another cosplay bro effort. The last two albums are the worst in the catalog. There's nothing to make me think a new album would be any better...so I'm of the fuck all opinion. I'm just saying from an outsider looking in...here are reasons they don't bother...
I don't disagree that Paul is a fucking mess and if he is just going to insist on producing again, then that is just a waste of everyone's time - but I just think their excuses are pathetic.
User avatar
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1510
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by FiveCardStud »

User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by TheSpoiler »

Double post
Last edited by TheSpoiler on Sat May 15, 2021 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:29 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:18 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:11 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:26 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:30 pm Well it should be much less of a concern for musicians who are multi-millionaires. Many not not named Paul or Gene have no problem making new music, but yes - it is not good for newer artists. Having said that, it hasn't stopped them for making new music continually and to tour outside of the pandemic.
Image

Paul did, and you complained about it. Surprise.

Well it's dogshit and something nobody asked for. If Paul wants to make a polka album next, are you gonna be a sunshine pumper about that too?
Ah, HeyMan is setting out his stall early for a royally whiny weekend, with the words "dogshit" and "pathetic" ready to go with keyboard macros, and an unkind word for all. :lol: :lol:
Nope. Just stating reality, which apparently triggers you. Have a good night.

Silly goose. You actually think you're important. :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:19 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:56 pm
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:46 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am
Grand Classic wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
I guess Paul didn't care about illegal downloading for SS.

Funny enough, illegal downloading is down incredibly from years past. It is far less of a problem. It has also been shown that people who illegally download, are more likely to buy music overall.
You have any documentation ....reputable sources? If something is up on YouTube and is copied is that tracked? ....Nope.
There are numerous studies that make this same point.

Study Again Shows 'Pirates' Tend to Be The Biggest Buyers of Legal Content

https://www.vice.com/en/article/evkmz7/ ... al-content
Ha Ha. A survey.....of 1000 people. Oh goody....that settles it :D
Google is your friend. Many studies have confirmed this since 2009 for fuck sake. I don't know why this is such a revelation to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/ ... more-music
Great Einstein. Pirates pay pennies on the dollar for music because the industry KNOWS if prices increased to 70’s 80’s and 90’s era music....the stealers will go back to ONLY ....stealing.

Such a pathetic attempt on your part to mislead with the “are more likely to buy overall”.

He he he ...yes...for “fuck sake”... https://www.riaa.com/reports/the-true-c ... s-economy/

Here ya go Brainiac
0A04E665-7CB6-424B-BC22-DDAD29850654.jpeg
Not to defend a fellow swede just because,

but Dee Snider can decide to not be on Spotify.

How much does Tidal give, with that one being "owned" by artists?

My guess - about the same.
User avatar
lord71
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3642
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:53 am
Location: Mars

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by lord71 »

CStomp1 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:39 pm
FiveCardStud wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:28 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:23 pm I think Gene is far more open to doing a new album over Paul, but Paul calls the shots there because he wants to be in control. So Gene just makes excuses in the media why they haven't done a new album.
I can’t see why Paul wouldn’t want to make another KISS album if he wants to be in the studio, I mean Paul has always been the most enthusiastic KISS member to be making new music (as seen in the lean years) so why break the habit of a lifetime?

Gene adheres to the time is money mantra more than anyone and he knows a new album wouldn’t do much for the pocket.

A Soul Station album does even less for the pocket, Paul likes money too. Maybe he was rebuffed by a Gene for a new album so went to do SS.

Yes Paul calls the shots but he can’t physically force Gene in the studio
Paul can't sing, and it has to be a major reason driving this. Forget whatever he was able to do with the SS record, I don't think he can handle KISS style music anymore. If he can't be the major vocal focal point in KISS, I don't see him doing it.

Not sure why the video of Gene in the studio for SB led you to your epiphany. Seeing that kind of footage makes me excited for a possible new album, although I don't see it happening again because of Paul's voice. Gene's not the issue here, in my opinion.
This. It's probably very frustrating for him to try to record vocals, since it's like putting small pieces together and fixing cracks all the time. - Compared how great he was at his peak in the eighties, probably during Crazy Nights.
User avatar
THUNDER GHOST
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by THUNDER GHOST »

Several random comments here ..

Paul cannot sing like he used to anymore . I think the answer would be to cobble together some songs where each guy sings a line and splits the lead vocals ala Shout It Out Loud. While it might not be easy they could definitely get some decent phrases out of Paul to mix in. Gene could pick up some of the slack too. A ballad or two with the Soul Station voice. Etc. ... And then also go back to unreleased songs like Sword And Stone and use the vocal track and re-record the music with modern sound. He could mix in some current day adlibs to make it sound not totally obvious. (Fans would dig it cuz they seem to like that song). That's an idea to actually make an album if they wanted to.

As for the reason they don't make a new album (Paul's voice aside)... I think it's more than just the "records don't sell and make money anymore" excuse.. I think it's more along the lines of "we sold our future publishing rights away for a lump sum to some Japanese guys (Hori ??) years ago" or "We owe the record company more albums at a reduced rate" so the reason they don't make money is that even if it went double platinum the record company would take all the cash. That is my suspicion on what is really happening. I don't have any knowledge of their contracts and am just speculating but it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe someone more in the know can chime in on their current contractual state. (?)

As for Genes Asshole record not selling, he tried to go Prodigy route and do all that ... I think if Gene came out with a "meat and potatoes heavy metal" record with 10 variations of Unholy, Hate, and God of Thunder ( not replicas but songs in that neighborhood etc) he could do quite well.

All speculating on my part but that's my take..
User avatar
Ratmir
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5274
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:23 am
Location: Uralsk, KZ

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Ratmir »

New artists are making music all the time and found the way to make money in the new market. Gene and Paul couldn’t adapt
User avatar
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4307
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

Ratmir wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:33 am New artists are making music all the time and found the way to make money in the new market. Gene and Paul couldn’t adapt
They found the way musicians make money in the new market - merch and touring
User avatar
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Kissoff »

FiveCardStud wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:09 pm I just watched this:



And it sort of gave me the epiphany that it really isn’t worth their time doing another album..

Gene is the type of guy who won’t do anything unless it makes money, albums still sold ok in 09 and 12 for them to justify doing it. After watching that video I can see why Gene really doesn’t have much interest in sitting in a studio. Just seems like a big waste of his time.

(I would love another album don’t shoot the messenger)


It’s Gene not Paul saying to not do another album, Paul did SS so he’s obviously happy to be in a studio, Gene has done nothing apart from that song for the vault and that was guaranteed money


I've often felt Gene and Paul somehow get enjoyment out of making the fans squirm, regardless of how, such as making us all fret andwonder if we're ever going to get anymorenew Kiss music. I swear sometimes Gene looks like he's holding a bass or guitar for the first time in his life.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by TheSpoiler »

Kissoff wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:38 am I've often felt Gene and Paul somehow get enjoyment out of making the fans squirm, regardless of how, such as making us all fret andwonder if we're ever going to get anymorenew Kiss music. I swear sometimes Gene looks like he's holding a bass or guitar for the first time in his life.
If you're genuinely fretting about whether there is going to be new Kiss music, it might be time to take a break. :idea:
User avatar
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Kissoff »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:00 am
Kissoff wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:38 am I've often felt Gene and Paul somehow get enjoyment out of making the fans squirm, regardless of how, such as making us all fret andwonder if we're ever going to get anymorenew Kiss music. I swear sometimes Gene looks like he's holding a bass or guitar for the first time in his life.
If you're genuinely fretting about whether there is going to be new Kiss music, it might be time to take a break. :idea:
How about disenguinely fretting, same rule?
User avatar
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 680
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Kissoff »

THUNDER GHOST wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:16 am Several random comments here ..

Paul cannot sing like he used to anymore . I think the answer would be to cobble together some songs where each guy sings a line and splits the lead vocals ala Shout It Out Loud. While it might not be easy they could definitely get some decent phrases out of Paul to mix in. Gene could pick up some of the slack too. A ballad or two with the Soul Station voice. Etc. ... And then also go back to unreleased songs like Sword And Stone and use the vocal track and re-record the music with modern sound. He could mix in some current day adlibs to make it sound not totally obvious. (Fans would dig it cuz they seem to like that song). That's an idea to actually make an album if they wanted to.

As for the reason they don't make a new album (Paul's voice aside)... I think it's more than just the "records don't sell and make money anymore" excuse.. I think it's more along the lines of "we sold our future publishing rights away for a lump sum to some Japanese guys (Hori ??) years ago" or "We owe the record company more albums at a reduced rate" so the reason they don't make money is that even if it went double platinum the record company would take all the cash. That is my suspicion on what is really happening. I don't have any knowledge of their contracts and am just speculating but it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe someone more in the know can chime in on their current contractual state. (?)

As for Genes Asshole record not selling, he tried to go Prodigy route and do all that ... I think if Gene came out with a "meat and potatoes heavy metal" record with 10 variations of Unholy, Hate, and God of Thunder ( not replicas but songs in that neighborhood etc) he could do quite well.

All speculating on my part but that's my take..
I think it's an excellent take.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4149
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by TheSpoiler »

Kissoff wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:18 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:00 am
Kissoff wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:38 am I've often felt Gene and Paul somehow get enjoyment out of making the fans squirm, regardless of how, such as making us all fret andwonder if we're ever going to get anymorenew Kiss music. I swear sometimes Gene looks like he's holding a bass or guitar for the first time in his life.
If you're genuinely fretting about whether there is going to be new Kiss music, it might be time to take a break. :idea:
How about disenguinely fretting, same rule?
If you are "disenguinely" fretting, its time to take a break from typing ;)
User avatar
highvoltage1969
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8369
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:38 am

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by highvoltage1969 »

Much Too Soon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:42 am They’re finished with giving away their product to people who steal.
This is not rocket science boys and girls. No money No songs No deal.
Things have moved on since the 00's, illegal downloading of music isn't the issue it once was especially since the vast majority of content is now available free through legitimate platforms like Spotify, Deezer and Youtube. You can argue these platforms don't pay the artists enough, and I would agree, but they're not giving their music away and people who use these sites aren't stealing in they way they used to through peer to peer lending software.
User avatar
Ace Fury
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: BURN BITCH BURN

Re: I get the “it’s not worth it” making an album argument

Post by Ace Fury »

Of all fans that would buy new records. Kiss fans are it. But a new record would mean expenses they might not want to fund. Extra writers possibly, studio time, engineer, artist or designer, pressing them, distribution.

I still think they should do a box set for each album like Led Zeppelin did. Super Deluxe, with a book for each record. Live show or demos second album. A few pieces of garbage swag. Fans would buy them all.
Post Reply