One thing I Dont Understand

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
RollingKISS1997
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

One thing I Dont Understand

Post by RollingKISS1997 »

People who think kiss is satanic....what a bunch of crap. In this video the song they reference is King of the Nighttime world which isn't even theirs :lol:

Gene and Paul have the right attitude about it.

Im only 23 so I never experienced this until people I go to Church with brought it up and I was shocked anyone actually believed this so I had to explain that Peter is super religious and you can always see Ace and Eric wearing Crosses and Paul and Gene talking baout how blessed they are and Gene saying God Bless at the end of all his interviews starting four or five years ago.

Fastcc
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Re: One thing I Dont Understand

Post by Fastcc »

That was a long time ago and people were much more conservative, as a whole, than they are today. In addition, the shock value that bands like KISS presented in their first years was pretty eye-opening for that period of time. The thing I remember from that era (as a high school kid) is the number of other bands who had far more satanic overtones than KISS - Black Sabbath, Aphrodite's Child and Bloodrock, just to name a few. But KISS was much more in the spotlihght in the late 70's and early 80's so they still bore the brunt of it. If only Marilyn Manson and Black Metal had been around then - THAT would have scared the hell out of the the religious groups for sure.
Pete2174
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Pete2174 »

All Hail MATMOK!
strutter78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by strutter78 »

Yep, I can’t tell you how big of a deal this was. In particular, the South, but make no mistake, these claims happened all over the country. Back in the day, I was yelled at about Kiss by teachers and family members about them worshiping the devil. Also, Ozzy was even more well known. Kids claimed he stuck a stick of dynamite up a goat’s ass onstage. The goat blew to pieces they said...It was a great time! You could make up any rumor and it couldn’t be proven wrong quickly like today. It was a totally different time like other’s have said. It’s not remotely like that. Plus rock music had only been around a few decades. They pushed the genre as far as it could go. The internet and phones changed things dramatically.
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

Old Andy remembers those times well----
KISSTRONAUT
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

They were never Satanic, but they were more popular than Jesus ;)
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FiveCardStud »

It’s pretty obvious why people thought they were satanic looking from the outside, I mean a guy dressed up as a bat spitting blood and calling himself the god of thunder was just absolutely foreign to Americans at the time.

What you have to remember is that the “SIOL”/“Flaming Youth” mentality that made KISS successful was kids rebelling against their parents. KISS were conscious of this and liked to play on it as it brought in new fans out of sheer interest. A good case study would be KISS turning into super KISS and attracted more parents to allow their kids to listen to them and see them, I wouldn’t of been surprised if there was discussions for Gene to drop the blood spitting for Dynasty.
txmikey
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by txmikey »

As much as it surely annoyed them to hear that kind of nonsense, there had to be some inner thinking on Gene and Paul's part that this sort of reputation could be GREAT for us.

People are always more curious and drawn to things they are told are dangerous. What the religious zealots who tried to demonize KISS, Ozzy, Priest, etc. were too dumb to grasp is that they were HELPING those artists get more attention and likely more fans.
punky
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by punky »

I remember them outside the shows at the two Creatures shows I saw. Hilarious then. Hilarious now.
Hi I'm Witz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

FiveCardStud wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:33 pm It’s pretty obvious why people thought they were satanic looking from the outside, I mean a guy dressed up as a bat spitting blood and calling himself the god of thunder was just absolutely foreign to Americans at the time.

What you have to remember is that the “SIOL”/“Flaming Youth” mentality that made KISS successful was kids rebelling against their parents. KISS were conscious of this and liked to play on it as it brought in new fans out of sheer interest. A good case study would be KISS turning into super KISS and attracted more parents to allow their kids to listen to them and see them, I wouldn’t of been surprised if there was discussions for Gene to drop the blood spitting for Dynasty.
Right. We were the kids of the WWII generation. Our parents listened to Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Andy Williams, etc. Or if you were from the South, chances are your parents grew up listening to The Grand Ole Opry with Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Patsy Cline, Hank Snow, June Carter and the Carter family, Johnny Cash, etc. The most controversial thing our parents had seen prior to the late 60's and 70's music was Elvis and The Beatles. So for something like KISS to come along, 4 guys in kabuki makeup, one looking demonic while breathing fire, spitting blood, and singing about robbing your virgin soul, I can TOTALLY see how that would've horrified parents at that time. I'm just thankful that mine were open minded enough to not allow KISS' image to spook them out of letting me listen to them.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Religion and Rock Music feed off eachother, to cater to their respective crowds. Its funny, because if you watch the ceremony where the mayor of Cadillac's proffering up the Key to the City to the band, you see all these World War One Vets and Church Ladies in KIϟϟ makeup looking on.
TT714
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by TT714 »

There was religious protests at one of the EOTR shows I went to..
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Growing up in Canada, we used to shake our heads in disbelief at people in the South and their way of thinking when it came to this. We still don't understand their thought process.
Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:52 pm Growing up in Canada, we used to shake our heads in disbelief at people in the South and their way of thinking when it came to this. We still don't understand their thought process.
What can I say? People down here love them some Jay-zus!!
Terry Zeppelin
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Terry Zeppelin »

One thing i don't understand...

Why she walks like a woman...but talks like a man

LOLA!!!
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:53 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:52 pm Growing up in Canada, we used to shake our heads in disbelief at people in the South and their way of thinking when it came to this. We still don't understand their thought process.
What can I say? People down here love them some Jay-zus!!
They do indeed. It's frightening.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

Gene, Paul and Ace didn't talk religious stuff before, but nowadays they seem to be more religious than ever. Aging...
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Someone here at the Faq (I forget who, apologies) posted this video a whiles back of two brothers who preached against rock and roll during this time, and they interviewed Gene backstage at a Creatures show (the audio is somewhere on youtube), and there's cool footage of the show itself.

The funny thing is, near the end the one guy described how the crowd is merely having a great time, like it's such a bad thing.....

KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

One day back in 3rd grade, i remember we had a police officer in as a guest-speaker. I guess he was there to tell us about the straight and narrow path of staying out of trouble. I only remember it because he called me up to stand in front of the class as a prime example of how not to be, what with my long-as-a-girl hair and my KISS shirt.

Probably a good thing the adults in the room couldn’t see my eyes thru my thick bangs, else i’d have been on my way back to the Principal’s office — again.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

I think it was great....still do. I was a card carrying Kid In Satan's Service
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

redinthesky wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:04 pm Someone here at the Faq (I forget who, apologies) posted this video a whiles back of two brothers who preached against rock and roll during this time, and they interviewed Gene backstage at a Creatures show (the audio is somewhere on youtube), and there's cool footage of the show itself.

The funny thing is, near the end the one guy described how the crowd is merely having a great time, like it's such a bad thing.....

I have their audio cassette about this topic. Great stuff. They were called The Peters Brothers.
Last edited by sugardaddy on Tue May 11, 2021 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

I like that channel’s focus on the 10th Anniversary tour. I wish he wouldn’t squish 4:3 footage into a 16:9 ratio, but good finds.

How about that, when Paul Stanley shows up late in the segment, he comes out quoting the Godfather of Soul! 😄
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

Tempting to just think 'oh, those americans' , but we had some of the same over here in the 80s. Metal had become very popular and along with that some of the more extreme bands (image, attitude) became a target for discussion, W.A.S.P. (which owes a lot to KISS) in particular.

Thing died out eventually, but right at that time it was quite big - mind you, we only had two tv-channels back then, so people really could not notice this which probably gave the discussion more weight than it deserved?

Also it coincided with the whole conservative wave (ideology) in the Western World (think Reagan/Thatcher/Kohl) so anything too excessive (unless it was how you made money) became something to look at as something problematic. Happy to say we've (and the rest of the western world) have moved on......
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

txmikey wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:35 pm What the religious zealots who tried to demonize KISS, Ozzy, Priest, etc. were too dumb to grasp is that they were HELPING those artists get more attention and likely more fans.
Believe me, the religious zealots realized they were helping to put those bands in the spotlight cause it helped keep themselves in the spotlight...

Something for folks to rally against and be scared of meant more people/money for the church.

Ultimately, both sides were about the money and putting butts in the seats... feeding off each other was the way to achieve that.
Sam

Post by Sam »

At least we got this guy out of all of it.

AceTattoo
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AceTattoo »

I remember these nuts being at the Creatures/Plasmatic show… it was winter…. They came by and handed us pamphlets telling us how Jesus would save us…. In front of them we lit them on fire to warm our hands. Lol ….

Reunion show in Ft. Wayne…. A group of Mennonites were protesting out side the arena…. One came up to with a photo of Ace… asked me what I thought God would say about this person…. I asked… “ is this a trick question?”…. He looks puzzled… I follow up with “ that is god”….. thought his head was going to explode…