Tommy Thayer interview

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Lofton23rdSt
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Tommy Thayer interview

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

TheSpoiler

Re: Tommy Thayer interview

Post by TheSpoiler »

Thanks. Interesting and very candid interview from Tommy - he thinks Sonic Boom was too derivative and the mix on Monster wasn't good. He comes across as very likeable IMHO.
Admin
Yawn

Post by Admin »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:57 pm Thanks. Interesting and very candid interview from Tommy - he thinks Sonic Boom was too derivative and the mix on Monster wasn't good. He comes across as very likeable IMHO.
He is very likeable. Has some great stories. Glad to see him doing this sort of interview.
Red_Walrus
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Red_Walrus »

"Recording Without Love in Vancouver, BC was wonderful because of all the extracurricular activities Vancouver provided (laughs). Strip clubs with showers, tons of blow."

Always thought Tommy was pretty straight when it came to drugs, maybe he wasn't talking about for himself but it does seem out of place.
torgotheme
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by torgotheme »

Red_Walrus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:05 pm "Recording Without Love in Vancouver, BC was wonderful because of all the extracurricular activities Vancouver provided (laughs). Strip clubs with showers, tons of blow."

Always thought Tommy was pretty straight when it came to drugs, maybe he wasn't talking about for himself but it does seem out of place.
Blowing bubbles in his glass of milk maybe.
Where's Drago?
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Where's Drago? »

That was a terrific read. What a fellah. He gets it. He understands it. His comments about SB and Monster are absolutely on-point. I love the sound of SB and there's some terrific stuff on there, but Monster probably shaded it with better songs. I rarely play Monster, though, because it sounds horrible. I wish that could be fixed.

Anyway, great interview.
Tallbear13
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Tallbear13 »

Admin wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:57 pm Thanks. Interesting and very candid interview from Tommy - he thinks Sonic Boom was too derivative and the mix on Monster wasn't good. He comes across as very likeable IMHO.
He is very likeable. Has some great stories. Glad to see him doing this sort of interview.
The history he has with the band plus everytime I've met him always nice talking about music
Hope this is the first of many
rwgriffith
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by rwgriffith »

Very cool to read an interview with Tommy.
67Kiss
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by 67Kiss »

Good interview, he seems like a really nice guy.
wjs296
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by wjs296 »

Enjoyable read- Thanks for sharing!
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

Fix the Mix, then, please. How that happens with the same production team, i don’t know, but the album’s an earsore.
JJ Smalling II
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by JJ Smalling II »

So refreshing to hear him this open. Best Thayer interview by far.
KISSworld1972
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KISSworld1972 »

Cool interview. I totally agree with him about how he just didn't get 'You Wanted The Best' from the Psycho Circus album. Bottom of the barrel KISS tune for me.
scottbassist
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by scottbassist »

Admin wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm
Tommy is a good guy. Said some great, genuine things about Ace and Peter in interviews while Kiss were doing the Alive 35 Tour in 2009.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Tommy's cool -- I have always liked him!
Red_Walrus
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Red_Walrus »

Great interview, sad there aren't some secret plans for new music but that appears to be it.
KissRMe4life
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by KissRMe4life »

I was never a TT fan maybe because he always felt like a stand in member, and I admit that very little of what he plays really resonates with me, but he seems very level headed and accurate on his assessment of the past few kiss albums.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

Good read.
ftjr1974
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ftjr1974 »

The whole Psycho Circus thing is absolutely infuriating! Why wouldn't Gene play bass? Seriously do other bands pull this bullshit or is it mainly a Kiss thing? It's bad enough it was advertised as a full blown reunion album even though Ace and Peter barely played on it. So maddening still after all these years!!!!
RollingKISS1997
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by RollingKISS1997 »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:57 pm
Thanks. Interesting and very candid interview from Tommy - he thinks Sonic Boom was too derivative and the mix on Monster wasn't good. He comes across as very likeable IMHO.
Sonic Boom was derivative but I still love it.

Monster Mix was garbage but there was a handful great songs on there.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Cool to see him say that stuff about PC, SB and Monster, I agree with most of what he was saying.

The writer got a little carried away here: "Sonic Boom and Monster, which as time has worn on, have really aged so well and are settling in as KISS classics in their own right", :lol: OK settle down buddy.

Not sure I understand where Tommy's coming from about streaming versus buying records. He doesn't buy music, says it's a shame because he misses buying albums, like something's stopping him? :scratch: I'm buying more records than I ever have. Get on Discogs, Tommy! 8)
intheflesh
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by intheflesh »

when will he join onlyfans?
AceTattoo
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AceTattoo »

Red_Walrus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:05 pm "Recording Without Love in Vancouver, BC was wonderful because of all the extracurricular activities Vancouver provided (laughs). Strip clubs with showers, tons of blow."

He may be now... but that was the 80’s..... none of us that were there can be help accountable for anything that happened between 81-89..... :lol:
Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

ftjr1974 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:23 am The whole Psycho Circus thing is absolutely infuriating! Why wouldn't Gene play bass? Seriously do other bands pull this bullshit or is it mainly a Kiss thing? It's bad enough it was advertised as a full blown reunion album even though Ace and Peter barely played on it. So maddening still after all these years!!!!
Yeah I've never minded it when bands play instrumental "musical chairs." Paul takes a lead here. Ace plays bass there. Gene plays guitar here. That kind of stuff never bothered me because at least in those instances, they're keeping it "in the family" so to speak. It's when they went outside the band that it pissed me off. Especially when they don't credit them.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 am
ftjr1974 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:23 am The whole Psycho Circus thing is absolutely infuriating! Why wouldn't Gene play bass? Seriously do other bands pull this bullshit or is it mainly a Kiss thing? It's bad enough it was advertised as a full blown reunion album even though Ace and Peter barely played on it. So maddening still after all these years!!!!
Yeah I've never minded it when bands play instrumental "musical chairs." Paul takes a lead here. Ace plays bass there. Gene plays guitar here. That kind of stuff never bothered me because at least in those instances, they're keeping it "in the family" so to speak. It's when they went outside the band that it pissed me off. Especially when they don't credit them.
Same here. The Stones and Queen for example did the same thing. But bringing in uncredited outsiders is disappointing.
Sssnakester

Post by Sssnakester »

AceTattoo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:36 am

He may be now... but that was the 80’s..... none of us that were there can be help accountable for anything that happened between 81-89..... :lol:
True lol... there isn't enough nasal spray in the world to clear me up from those days.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

Sssnakester wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:00 am
AceTattoo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:36 am

True lol... there isn't enough nasal spray in the world to clear me up from those days.
:lol: :lol: 8)
ToddofThunder
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ToddofThunder »

Yeah, I thought that was a revealing quote about his past, too. But never mind the blow...what is this about strip clubs with showers?? Maybe I'm showing that I've never been to a strip club, but I never knew there were any that had SHOWERS! What the heck?? LOL
banks

Post by banks »

It's great to read a Tommy Thayer interview when he's not on a leash. I wonder if Paul will speak to him, however, after what Tommy said about the Monster mix.
Last edited by banks on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spacekace
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by spacekace »

intheflesh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 am when will he join onlyfans?
😳
banks

Post by banks »

Cool to read about a hit writer, Bill Champlin, playing and singing on songs Tommy co-wrote. I know he is a pal of Jeff's and they were together in Chicago, but still...
ypke

Post by ypke »

That was a cool read and some nice info on Kiss. And I really like that he gives his honest opninion on those albums (which I largely agree on too).
AllCanadianMan
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AllCanadianMan »

ToddofThunder wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Yeah, I thought that was a revealing quote about his past, too. But never mind the blow...what is this about strip clubs with showers?? Maybe I'm showing that I've never been to a strip club, but I never knew there were any that had SHOWERS! What the heck?? LOL
Lol it was a big thing in the strip clubs in BC during those days, awww the memories!!! 😎🤟
AllCanadianMan
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AllCanadianMan »

ToddofThunder wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Lol it was a big thing in the strip clubs in BC during those days, awww the memories!!! 😎🤟