MAGIC...A Legitimate Complaint

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
alivecatman
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: MAGIC...A Legitimate Complaint

Post by alivecatman »

sadcorps wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:07 pm Heard through the grapevine that the book is over. Money is being consilidated to mass refund in February. Those of you that did preorder the deluxe package will get the poster and Phantom Book as a goodwill gesture in addition to your full refund.
Bold statement from a new comer.
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by LordThurisaz »

I do too. Cue the WWE crowd chanting, "Bullshit!"
pepperkitty
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by pepperkitty »

I would totally buy the Phantom book as a stand alone.
If it’s actually completed it would be a shame to not publish that.
And if it’s actually completed and file ready, send it off to the printer, get a few proof copies, do a update with that!
Approve the quality of the book and run it! He may a be able to get this accomplished by the end of January.
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

Sounds like the bulk of it is done. It'd be sad for it to have come this far and not be finished.
Doose
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Doose »

sadcorps wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:07 pm Heard through the grapevine that the book is over. Money is being consilidated to mass refund in February. Those of you that did preorder the deluxe package will get the poster and Phantom Book as a goodwill gesture in addition to your full refund.
A few thoughts:

1. If that were true, why not say that now and avoid the avalanche of discord, instead of having to hear it "through the grapevine?"
2. If that were true, why not just give refunds now as people ask for them?
3. If that were true, that would mean Ros is eating the royalty payments he supposedly made to all of the photographers for their photos
4. If it is true, chances are KISS' attorneys got ahold of Ros and set him straight forcing this outcome in exchange for not suing him

Or someone could just ask Ros directly.
LoveGuns

Post by LoveGuns »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:55 pm Sounds like the bulk of it is done. It'd be sad for it to have come this far and not be finished.
I dont know. Judging by the old quotes, it was stated it had 2 months left to finish it up and ready to ship in time for Christmas of...2015. So Im not so sure anymore
Fartbone

Post by Fartbone »

spaceace1977 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:01 am 15+ pages....
Almost there
kinetic74

Post by kinetic74 »

kisshall2 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:45 am Here is an easy fix for Ros and everyone. This is a Book in chronological order, correct? Stop where you are. Turn it into the publisher, and get people their book.

I am sure everyone would be happy to get the completed Phantoms book (he said it is finished.) and Magic at 400 or so pages, or whatever point he is to with Magic.

Seems like a simple solution.
I doubt he worked on it in chronological order. According to some accounts the only chapter finished (words AND hit res pic) is half of 1976... and none of Phantoms,
spaceace1977
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by spaceace1977 »

kinetic74 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:55 pm
kisshall2 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:45 am Here is an easy fix for Ros and everyone. This is a Book in chronological order, correct? Stop where you are. Turn it into the publisher, and get people their book.

I am sure everyone would be happy to get the completed Phantoms book (he said it is finished.) and Magic at 400 or so pages, or whatever point he is to with Magic.

I doubt he worked on it in chronological order. According to some accounts the only chapter finished (words AND hit res pic) is half of 1976... and none of Phantoms,
How exactly are these "accounts" known?
slipkid69
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by slipkid69 »

spaceace1977 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:57 pm

Kinetic74 likes to throw a lot of shit at the wall and see what sticks. At this point if you know something just spill it and give up the ghost. It’s over Johnny!
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Doose wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:59 pm
A few thoughts:

1. If that were true, why not say that now and avoid the avalanche of discord, instead of having to hear it "through the grapevine?"
3. If that were true, that would mean Ros is eating the royalty payments he supposedly made to all of the photographers for their photos
4. If it is true, chances are KISS' attorneys got ahold of Ros and set him straight forcing this outcome in exchange for not suing him

Hey, are you in the legal biz? :D

But seriously, I agree with all that. I also don't understand the need to "consolidate" people's money for a mass refund. If the money is there, one can just sit in front of the computer for a day and give refunds. About the Kiss thing, now, I've never published a book, but there have been many books on Kiss done by good people. How difficult is it to actually find out what you are allowed to publish and do, and are not allowed?
kinetic74

Post by kinetic74 »

slipkid69 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:10 pm

Kinetic74 likes to throw a lot of shit at the wall and see what sticks. At this point if you know something just spill it and give up the ghost. It’s over Johnny!
I’m sure it will all be revealed soon without me having to.

But if you read what I’m saying I’m telling you what is known and what I can say without saying too much.

I’m totally happy for you to not believe it. It doesn’t worry me one iota. It’s up to Ros to be honest about the real status of the book.
Metalion_SOS
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Metalion_SOS »

Whatever is going on, I'm out and will be asking for a refund come February. If this is indeed some scam then I hope he gets his comeuppance.
KISS#1

Post by KISS#1 »

kinetic74 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:29 pm
slipkid69 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:10 pm

I’m sure it will all be revealed soon without me having to.

But if you read what I’m saying I’m telling you what is known and what I can say without saying too much.

I’m totally happy for you to not believe it. It doesn’t worry me one iota. It’s up to Ros to be honest about the real status of the book.
Oh Boy!
shupey
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by shupey »

It is what it is I guess. Lost $ on Big John's book and now maybe this.... oh well. Will be thinking long and hard about future pre-order type of merch from non-official entities.
Destroyer72

Post by Destroyer72 »

redinthesky wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:14 pm
Destroyer72 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:34 am I'm to the point where if you're stupid enough to send some amateur 100+ dollars for some book scheme he's concocting in his head with no recourses and no experience.. And even doubly stupid to not care if you get your money back.. Then you deserve what you get which will be nothing but a lighter wallet. And he deserves to keep the money if imbeciles want to just hand it over without a fight. 🤷‍♂️🙄
I don't wanna laugh at someone's problems, but I have to admit, I did laugh at this comment on the FB page, you know there's trouble when someone throws this casual comment in there without it meaning to be humorous --

"Hopefully 2021 will be the year of release"

I've also said before, if the Phantom book part of the 'deluxe' deal was done and available to purchase on its own, heck I'd buy it.

That's is so damn ridiculous. Are they so obsessed with KISS that they lose all sense of reasoning and order? I mean it's like they just start drooling and shat themselves at the mention of a KISS book.

I love Sabbath.. I've bought some of their books. Just like I've bought some KISS books. But I keep my wits about me. I buy after it's released. I buy from reputable sources. So everything is crisp and clear.

I'm never going to toss my money to the wind over some dim wit's hair brained scheme.
Last edited by Destroyer72 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mot$$33
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mot$$33 »

Smells like some sort of mental illness.
Destroyer72

Post by Destroyer72 »

mot$$33 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:22 pm Smells like some sort of mental illness.
Bingo. Exactly what I think.
KISS#1

Post by KISS#1 »

Destroyer72 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:22 pm
Destroyer72 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:34 am I'm to the point where if you're stupid enough to send some amateur 100+ dollars for some book scheme he's concocting in his head with no recourses and no experience.. And even doubly stupid to not care if you get your money back.. Then you deserve what you get which will be nothing but a lighter wallet. And he deserves to keep the money if imbeciles want to just hand it over without a fight. 🤷‍♂️🙄
I don't wanna laugh at someone's problems, but I have to admit, I did laugh at this comment on the FB page, you know there's trouble when someone throws this casual comment in there without it meaning to be humorous --

I've also said before, if the Phantom book part of the 'deluxe' deal was done and available to purchase on its own, heck I'd buy it.

That's is so damn ridiculous. Are they so obsessed with KISS that they lose all sense of reasoning and order? I mean it's like they just start drooling and shat themselves at the mention of a KISS book.

I love Sabbath.. I've bought some of their books. Just like I've bought some KISS books. But I keep my wits about me. I buy after it's released. I buy from reputable sources. So everything is crisp and clear.

I'm never going to toss my money to the wind over some dim wit's hair brained scheme.
In Facebook someone asked Ros if he can still order the book. Of course Ros said "yes". This was eleven hours ago.
Destroyer72

Post by Destroyer72 »

KISS#1 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:36 pm
Destroyer72 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:22 pm

In Facebook someone asked Ros if he can still order the book. Of course Ros said "yes". This was eleven hours ago.
Omg... 🤦‍♂️
spaceace1977
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by spaceace1977 »

mot$$33 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:22 pm Smells like some sort of mental illness.
95% of KISS FANS
balish

Post by balish »

Why so many delays?
Here’s a hint, perhaps.

« The longer the con is, the harder it is to admit you’ve been scammed. »
Lofton23rdSt
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

spaceace1977 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:57 pm How exactly are these "accounts" known?
I don't know Ros, but once someone asked him about how much of the book is done and he said that he doesn't work on it in order, so he can't give a percentage.
Goodwilltowardsall
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Given the interest expressed this book, I wonder if someone else will take up the mantle?
mikeenc

Post by mikeenc »

I’ll be honest...I really, really wanted to see this book happen and a part of me would love to offer to help finish it as I have some graphic design experience, but I know I wouldn’t have the time between my day job and the graphic, audio, and video projects I work on already.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

mikeenc wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:52 pm I’ll be honest...I really, really wanted to see this book happen and a part of me would love to offer to help finish it as I have some graphic design experience, but I know I wouldn’t have the time between my day job and the graphic, audio, and video projects I work on already.
Don't tease us, Mike! :D
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

A few thoughts:

Not sure how a full refund would be possible though? It's clear a big chunk of the money from the sales has been eaten into. Photo license costs; production thus far, the salary of his graphic design guy, etc.
More likely purchasers will be getting back pennies on the dollar. Plus a Phantom book and poster of course.
slipkid69
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by slipkid69 »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:57 pm
A few thoughts:

Not sure how a full refund would be possible though? It's clear a big chunk of the money from the sales has been eaten into. Photo license costs; production thus far, the salary of his graphic design guy, etc.
More likely purchasers will be getting back pennies on the dollar. Plus a Phantom book and poster of course.
Well according to kinetic the Phantoms book isn’t even done.
KISS#1

Post by KISS#1 »

Author
MAGIC - KISS Kronicles 1973 to 1983
Thank you, My girls are fine and there's no Covid issue at this time. However, the last two months have been one problem after another but I try to keep my positivity strong and march forward.
misterhand80
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by misterhand80 »

If we read between the lines of what kinetic74 is telling us, I think we would best be served seeking answers from the chap Ros has (had?) doing the actual inDesign work. If I recall correctly, this designer had a falling out and bailed on the project, then was back in. Since he declared back in, I do not remember seeing or hearing his name come from Ros. Here is from the sale page:

Your book will be signed and numbered by the authors, Ros Radley and Scott Davis

Another route is if the poster artist has any insight?. I believe he posts here.

An 18"x24" folded poster of KISS painted by the amazing artist, Stef Martinez, exclusively for MAGIC!
mikeenc

Post by mikeenc »

CStomp1 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:57 pm
mikeenc wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:52 pm I’ll be honest...I really, really wanted to see this book happen and a part of me would love to offer to help finish it as I have some graphic design experience, but I know I wouldn’t have the time between my day job and the graphic, audio, and video projects I work on already.
Don't tease us, Mike! :D
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lofton23rdSt
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

I don't think he had problems with doing the graphic design, because that was in 2015 he said that.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

A few thoughts:

Radley has been spectacularly cagey and not forthcoming, so I'm not sure we can take his word -- at all -- that the Phantom book and poster actually exist.

Also, THREE Cease and Desist letters...
KissAlive35_09
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by KissAlive35_09 »

Should have seen it back in 2017...

September 4, 2017 ·

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - PLEASE READ:
Due to flood damage to my house and studio during Hurricane Harvey, I will not be able to finish the book until early 2018. Please accept my apologies and my gratitude for your continued patience and support for this project.
Tito

Post by Tito »

KISS#1 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:36 pm In Facebook someone asked Ros if he can still order the book. Of course Ros said "yes". This was eleven hours ago.
Still taking people's money, is he? I'm liking this less and less by the minute.
LoveGuns

Post by LoveGuns »

KissAlive35_09 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 pm Should have seen it back in 2017...

September 4, 2017 ·

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - PLEASE READ:
Due to flood damage to my house and studio during Hurricane Harvey, I will not be able to finish the book until early 2018. Please accept my apologies and my gratitude for your continued patience and support for this project.
Hmmmm
Doose

Post by Doose »

slipkid69 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:14 pm
A few thoughts:

Well according to kinetic the Phantoms book isn’t even done.
On the MAGIC website, it still says:

This preview is to show just a small portion of the work completed on this book. 400 pages are done so we still have another 150 to do. The bonus Phantom book is done. We hope to be at the finish line and ready to send all completed files to the printer by mid-October.
Doose

Post by Doose »

He hit the goal of $125,000 in August, but I never noticed he was soliciting a graphic designer just 2 months prior.

Facebook page. From June 22, 2018:

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS - DESIGNER WANTED
Scott Davis has decided to take a different path and will no longer be the designer for MAGIC - KISS KRONICLES 1973 TO 1983. That means I am looking for someone to take over as the designer for this book.
Below are the qualifications for this job:
1. You must have a passion for KISS, especially the original makeup era 1973 to 1983
2. You must have extensive knowledge of Adobe InDesign software.
3. You must be willing to collaborate with me on the design ideas.

If interested please contact me preferably by phone at ***-***-**** [number redacted]. If I don't answer please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can. You can also contact me via email at **************@gmail.com [email redacted].

If you have the right stuff then we can make MAGIC together 🙂

Thank you,
Ros Radley
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

Oh, yes... because we can trust anything Ros says. If it is done, I think the C&Ds would make it difficult to release.
Doose

Post by Doose »

December 28, 2016 ·
This Table of Contents design was posted way back in June 2015 but I like it so I want to post it again for those who may have missed it the first time. The final version will be basically the same with just a few alterations. Thanks again to Nils Brekke Svenson and Scott Davis for their help with this design.

Also, a quick reminder that I'm working hard to get the book completed by May 2017. I really appreciate everyone's patience and faith while I get this monster done right
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

spaceace1977 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:38 pm
95% of KISS FANS
Old Andy never pre—ordered‚ but it’s tru---- he does suffer from this....
kinetic74

Post by kinetic74 »

Doose wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:41 pm .
He hit the goal of $125,000 in August, but I never noticed he was soliciting a graphic designer just 2 months prior.

Facebook page. From June 22, 2018:

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS - DESIGNER WANTED
Scott Davis has decided to take a different path and will no longer be the designer for MAGIC - KISS KRONICLES 1973 TO 1983. That means I am looking for someone to take over as the designer for this book.
Below are the qualifications for this job:
1. You must have a passion for KISS, especially the original makeup era 1973 to 1983
2. You must have extensive knowledge of Adobe InDesign software.
3. You must be willing to collaborate with me on the design ideas.

If interested please contact me preferably by phone at ***-***-**** [number redacted]. If I don't answer please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can. You can also contact me via email at **************@gmail.com [email redacted].

If you have the right stuff then we can make MAGIC together 🙂

Thank you,
Ros Radley
Scott did return to the project. But he said he since left the last time I spoke to him. So who knows what Ros is doing design-wise?
andykiss78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andykiss78 »

I think this was a carefully crafted scam.

Also, with respect, I don't care what family tragedies,personal tragedies or the like may or may not have occurred...this is a BUSINESS transaction and there is NO excuse for not delivering on a product that was paid for.
misterhand80
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by misterhand80 »

andykiss78 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:44 am I think this was a carefully crafted scam.
Addicted to having the highest quality images and the rarest/unseen. Using our monies to fulfill said addiction. That's one possible scenario.
acesmiddlefinger

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

spaceace1977 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:38 pm
95% of KISS FANS
No sign of a smiley emoticon so I'm assuming the 95% of KISS fans comment was intended as a slur.

Let's not mistake Ros's excuses as a sign of mental illness. Granted his behaviour seems at worse puzzling but one needs a fair bit of intelligence to carry out this level of scam.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

LordThurisaz wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:42 pm Oh, yes... because we can trust anything Ros says. If it is done, I think the C&Ds would make it difficult to release.
So he actually had a C&D, and three of them no less? I wasn't sure. Were they from Kiss?

The comments under the 3 Sides video where they talk about the book are very interesting, lots of refund comments. Sure enough, one guy comments about being ripped off (refund request denied), and the guy replying to him said one of the things I have been saying but a fellow poster here kept giving me a weird hard time about, something as extremely common as this, reaching out to an avenue that is there to help you in this exact situation.

Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:55 pm Sounds like the bulk of it is done. It'd be sad for it to have come this far and not be finished.
"Why swim the channel just to get this far?
Halfway there, why would you turn around?"

- Eddie Vedder
tasmith72
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tasmith72 »

It really would've been a cool book.

I guess I'll be happy with a FREE Inside KMTPOTP book and poster, not to mention, $150 back in my bank account :)

So, no mention of the giant trading card set?!? :lol:
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

...and this guy is a schoolteacher... What a great role model for the kids...
Lofton23rdSt
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:47 am ...and this guy is a schoolteacher... What a great role model for the kids...
:lol: