Signatures/Serious Question

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Fartbone
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Signatures/Serious Question

Post by Fartbone »

So all of this shit storm for years here on the board about replacing members under that whole character thing of The spaceman, the cat, starchild, the demon. If the character is above and beyond any particular person, from the mouths of Paul and Gene themselves then why not sign autographs as The Demon, Starchild, Spaceman and The Cat.

Right?

Based on their logic.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Signatures/Serious Question

Post by Wichita77 »

James Bond has been played by several actors yet I wouldn't want an autograph from Sean Connery signed "James Bond 007".

Well, actually, if I still collected autographs that could be cool.

KISS saying someone else could replace them all is of course, BS, but it's not the character you get an autograph from, but the performer.
Nellcote71
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Nellcote71 »

Fartbone wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:21 pm So all of this shit storm for years here on the board about replacing members under that whole character thing of The spaceman, the cat, starchild, the demon. If the character is above and beyond any particular person, from the mouths of Paul and Gene themselves then why not sign autographs as The Demon, Starchild, Spaceman and The Cat.

Right?

Based on their logic.
I don’t think it’s wise to base ANY assumptions on the things these pathological liars say or imply (if u know what I mean)
scottbassist
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by scottbassist »

Fartbone wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:21 pm So all of this shit storm for years here on the board about replacing members under that whole character thing of The spaceman, the cat, starchild, the demon. If the character is above and beyond any particular person, from the mouths of Paul and Gene themselves then why not sign autographs as The Demon, Starchild, Spaceman and The Cat.

Right?

Based on their logic.

I agree. I mean, the 1978 solo albums weren’t/aren’t called “The Starchild,” “The Demon,” “The Spaceman” and “The Catman.” When Paul announced/announces band members in the middle of concerts, he didn’t shout “The Spaceman, lead guitar!!!” Paul shouted/shouts out, “Ace Frehley/Tommy Thayer, lead guitar!!!”
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Tito »

scottbassist wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Right?

Based on their logic.

I agree. I mean, the 1978 solo albums weren’t/aren’t called “The Starchild,” “The Demon,” “The Spaceman” and “The Catman.” When Paul announced/announces band members in the middle of concerts, he didn’t shout “The Spaceman, lead guitar!!!” Paul shouted/shouts out, “Ace Frehley/Tommy Thayer, lead guitar!!!”
In 1996 they didn't reunite with the Spaceman and Catman but Ace Frehley and Peter Criss. The reason for pushing the character bullshit in the last two decades is obvious.
johnsaidwhat
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by johnsaidwhat »

I'm removing my comment because I misunderstood the question
Last edited by johnsaidwhat on Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabresaxon
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by sabresaxon »

It has been funny watching the personas gain greater importance the last two decades.

As a kid it was just Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter to me and the notion of a Demon or Starchild etc was just how you awkwardly explained to your aunty this weird make-up band you liked that she didn’t get.
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by andreww1962 »

sabresaxon wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:21 am It has been funny watching the personas gain greater importance the last two decades.

As a kid it was just Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter to me and the notion of a Demon or Starchild etc was just how you awkwardly explained to your aunty this weird make-up band you liked that she didn’t get.
Good point. I don't think I ever heard those terms until the Phantom of the park came out and they referred to themselves as "demon", "starchily", etc.
Tito

Post by Tito »

andreww1962 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 am
sabresaxon wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:21 am It has been funny watching the personas gain greater importance the last two decades.

Good point. I don't think I ever heard those terms until the Phantom of the park came out and they referred to themselves as "demon", "starchily", etc.
The character names were for the comic books and the movie; the fantasy side of it, not the actual rock band.
sabresaxon
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by sabresaxon »

Tito wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 am

The character names were for the comic books and the movie; the fantasy side of it, not the actual rock band.
I didn’t read the comics or see the movie until after they unmasked. To me the imagery of the band during the original make-up era was more abstract and vague, and didn’t need to be overly defined by Dave from marketing, and label something that didnt need labelling.
Tito

Post by Tito »

sabresaxon wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:43 am

I didn’t read the comics or see the movie until after they unmasked. To me the imagery of the band during the original make-up era was more abstract and vague, and didn’t need to be overly defined by Dave from marketing, and label something that didnt need labelling.
Same here, agreed. It just feels really phony for them to bring that stuff back in a big way, as an obvious attempt at a justification for replacing band members.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

Tito wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:50 am
sabresaxon wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:43 am

Same here, agreed. It just feels really phony for them to bring that stuff back in a big way, as an obvious attempt at a justification for replacing band members.
That's all it is. They didn't want to go through the trouble of making new characters/makeup designs. To the nonchalant fan at the concert, they don't know who's under the makeup, just the cat, spaceman, demon and lover (whatever)
To Paul and Gene if it ain't broke, don't fix it
battra

Post by battra »

I don't think Tommy and Eric came in as Ace and Peter in order to save the trouble, but to save the ducats.

Look at this forum, this is the die hard Kiss fans...and the make up is FAR FAR FAR more important than I'd ever have assumed here.

So yes, what they're wearing on stage is of critical import. Of the die hard fans, we're what about 10% of the total? Half of us don't care, half of us don't like it, but the other 80% of the folks at the show can't wait to see the rockets shooting out of the guitar, Gene Simmons spitting blood, etc.

When this whole thing started, I was certain it would crash and burn.

Because who in their right mind would accept a band of phonies and cosplayers?

Turns out, lots.

(If you question my rationale, just note that Hot In The Shade and Revenge Tours were musically far, far, far superior to every tour since then.)
sabresaxon
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by sabresaxon »

More than anything, I'm actually impressed how lucky G+P got when it came to replacing A+P, and the circumstances in which both cases transpired so they could justify or 'justify' (depending on your view) E+T joining the band. Amazing, one step shy of A+P having died really.
metaldad

Post by metaldad »

Can you imagine the dope that spends 10 Grand on a guitar at a M&G looks down and sees The Demon instead of an actual autograph ?
:lol: