How did you become a fan of Kiss?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

How did you become a fan of Kiss?

Post by ace_frehley »

Hey everyone, I am new here. I have been listening to Kiss for all of my life. My life goal is to see Kiss perform. It is sad to know that Kiss is on their last tour, and I am trying to see them when they come to California. I always liked the original KIss more, but I would always be willing to see them now. My dad turned me onto Kiss, and through all the bad things I have been through in life, listening to Kiss has gotten me through it. I have not made many friends who have listened or knew Kiss. It is sad to know that the music that is popular nowadays is rap and pop. I wish things could go back to the way they were, where rock and roll took over by storm. I recently went to Kiss mini golf, and the day that I came, I talked to the workers and they said Ace Frehley had came the day before. I was surprised and shocked. If I could have came one day earlier I could have met the famous Ace Frehley. If you can not tell by my username, my favorite member of Kiss is Ace :lol:. Its always nice to have memories to take you back to kiss, whether if it is books, movies, or more. I recently purchased a Budokan Les Paul and it is beautiful. I am still on the hunt of learning guitar. Although I hope it can go somewhere.

I always like to hear others stories about how they found out about KIss and what they love about them. I am currently in High School, and since the music genre has changed between the years, not many that I meet know who Kiss is. Not only that but they refer to them as ¨boomers¨ which is highly stupid. Kiss members have been getting old and I hate for those to disrespect them like that. I am happy to find this forum and join it to know that there are people like me here. If you have any stories or if you have seen them reply down below! I am always happy to read them. :-D 8) :-P
Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 10.14.27 PM.png

Yiggity
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: How did you become a fan of Kiss?

Post by Yiggity »

My older brother had Alive II and I couldn't stop looking at that gatefold.

Soylent Gene
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Soylent Gene »

THEY CAME TO ME IN A DREAM AND THREATENED TO ROB ME OF MY VIRGIN SOUL IF I DIDN'T SPEND ALL OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY ON KISS KRAP.

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

Soylent Gene wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:10 am
THEY CAME TO ME IN A DREAM AND THREATENED TO ROB ME OF MY VIRGIN SOUL IF I DIDN'T SPEND ALL OF MY HARD EARNED MONEY ON KISS KRAP.
Wow that seems pretty intense :lol: . So you got yourself into Kiss?

The Space Ace
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Space Ace »

I got into hard rock in high school (around ten years ago or so). I was mostly listening to bands like Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, the Rolling Stones, and Van Halen around that time, and I was also beginning to play guitar and was using that kind of music for inspiration. Since I was honestly pretty new to music in general (I played percussion in grade school band but I didn't really listen to music), I was still exploring other bands in rock. I found a few popular Kiss songs I liked and bought on iTunes but I never really looked deeper than that, probably because I knew a lot of people who said they sucked and I never heard Kiss on the radio. I eventually befriended a guy in high school whose uncle worked for Live Nation, and so he'd seen countless bands for free. One day we got to talking about our favorite music and he said I needed to see Kiss live; that they were the best band he had ever seen. I was like "No way man, they can't be that good." But he insisted. I had seen snippets of them before but, again, didn't really bother to look further.

So one night I was supposed to be writing an essay, but I didn't really want to. As a way of procrastinating, I started reading about Kiss and I thought I should watch a concert to see how good they were. I don't know what exactly I searched, but I went onto YouTube and found the first night of the Reunion Tour in Detroit and clicked on it. It was the greatest thing I had ever seen. I was just mesmerized by Ace. I wanted to be him. At that exact time I wasn't exactly happy, and I was ready to give up on the guitar already. But watching that changed everything. I immediately went out and bought Destroyer and my mind was blown. I then ended up collecting the first six albums plus Alive I and II over the next three months. I bought a Kiss guitar tab book and started learning all kinds of Kiss songs. I was hooked for life. I saw them in 2014 and it was the greatest night of my life. I'll never not be a Kiss fan.

Don't worry, I still got an A on the essay. Thanks, Ace.

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

The Space Ace wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:37 am
I got into hard rock in high school (around ten years ago or so). I was mostly listening to bands like Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, the Rolling Stones, and Van Halen around that time, and I was also beginning to play guitar and was using that kind of music for inspiration. Since I was honestly pretty new to music in general (I played percussion in grade school band but I didn't really listen to music), I was still exploring other bands in rock. I found a few popular Kiss songs I liked and bought on iTunes but I never really looked deeper than that, probably because I knew a lot of people who said they sucked and I never heard Kiss on the radio. I eventually befriended a guy in high school whose uncle worked for Live Nation, and so he'd seen countless bands for free. One day we got to talking about our favorite music and he said I needed to see Kiss live; that they were the best band he had ever seen. I was like "No way man, they can't be that good." But he insisted. I had seen snippets of them before but, again, didn't really bother to look further.

So one night I was supposed to be writing an essay, but I didn't really want to. As a way of procrastinating, I started reading about Kiss and I thought I should watch a concert to see how good they were. I don't know what exactly I searched, but I went onto YouTube and found the first night of the Reunion Tour in Detroit and clicked on it. It was the greatest thing I had ever seen. I was just mesmerized by Ace. I wanted to be him. At that exact time I wasn't exactly happy, and I was ready to give up on the guitar already. But watching that changed everything. I immediately went out and bought Destroyer and my mind was blown. I then ended up collecting the first six albums plus Alive I and II over the next three months. I bought a Kiss guitar tab book and started learning all kinds of Kiss songs. I was hooked for life. I saw them in 2014 and it was the greatest night of my life. I'll never not be a Kiss fan.

Thats so cool! Was it Tommy performing with them when you saw them?

Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

old Andy got the 45 of “Rock and Roll All Nite” in ’78 and---- BOOM--!! he’s been a KISS fanatic ever since....

Last edited by Andy Capp on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Space Ace
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Space Ace »

ace_frehley wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:42 am
The Space Ace wrote:

Yes, and I still think if I had the privilege of seeing the original lineup I would've enjoyed it even more than I did, but nonetheless they still put on a great show. I also forgot that around that time I sent an email to Tommy and he actually replied to me and gave me some words of encouragement on my guitar playing. I could've very well been his secretary or something, but that was huge for teenage me to get a response from someone who inspired me (Yes, even Tommy has inspired me, but so has everyone who has been in Kiss). But unfortunately I think I deleted that email by accident a long time ago. I really wish I still had it.

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

The Space Ace wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:57 am
ace_frehley wrote:
The Space Ace wrote:

Yes, and I still think if I had the privilege of seeing the original lineup I would've enjoyed it even more than I did, but nonetheless they still put on a great show. I also forgot that around that time I sent an email to Tommy and he actually replied to me and gave me some words of encouragement on my guitar playing. I could've very well been his secretary or something, but that was huge for teenage me to get a response from someone who inspired me (Yes, even Tommy has inspired me, but so has everyone who has been in Kiss). But unfortunately I think I deleted that email by accident a long time ago. I really wish I still had it.
That is so awesome! I cant believe Tommy replied haha. I plan on seeing them this year when they come to California, although I am not sure where I will be when it comes to money, although I am trying my best to make it happen. I grew up only listening to Ace in Kiss, but I feel like if I went to the upcoming show, it will still be fun to go because half of the original band is still there. I grew up playing guitar at a young age, although I slowly drifted away from it and I am currently trying to get back into it. I'm glad to know that the show will still be good even if Tommy is there. I hope you do great on your guitar playing in the future, and may even be like Ace :) !

You should try saving up for a Budokan Les Paul. I am not sure what type of guitar you play, but that is my recommendation. Ace played it most throughout his career and it always brings back memories. I found it looking for random items on websites. I'm not sure if it was Offerup or Ebay, but it was really cheap. and in perfect condition. The person said he bought it at a yard sale and didnt know whose signature was on the guitar (Ace) and he sold it without knowing how much it was worth. It was probably the best item I have ever bought, and it sounds great. Looking on websites can sometimes help you find the coolest things, even at the most random moments! 8)

Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

I became aware of them in 1999 or 2000 - I saw an article about them in a newspaper with some pics and became interested because of their image. But when I finally heard their music a couple of months after that’s when I became a fan.

Randell Stevens
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Randell Stevens »

First, welcome to the FAQ.

On to your question... My first recollection of them is when I got off the bus in the 3rd grade waaaaaaaayyyyyy back in 1989. My mom was watching something on TV. It was this....thing.... I wasn't sure. As I stood awestruck blood started to dribble out of its mouth. Then it was everywhere! Then to top it all off...it started playing music with 3 other things...glorious, pulsating, hard hitting, pure rock and roll. She was watching eXposed.....

I was ruined for life. Lol.

Do whatever you can to see them( legally of course). You won't regret it. I had to wait from that autumn day I was introduced to them , until 96 in The Pyramid. I consider it the greatest day of my life outside of seeing my kids born. Good luck!!!

The Space Ace
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Space Ace »

ace_frehley wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:15 am
The Space Ace wrote:
ace_frehley wrote:
The Space Ace wrote:

That is so awesome! I cant believe Tommy replied haha. I plan on seeing them this year when they come to California, although I am not sure where I will be when it comes to money, although I am trying my best to make it happen. I grew up only listening to Ace in Kiss, but I feel like if I went to the upcoming show, it will still be fun to go because half of the original band is still there. I grew up playing guitar at a young age, although I slowly drifted away from it and I am currently trying to get back into it. I'm glad to know that the show will still be good even if Tommy is there. I hope you do great on your guitar playing in the future, and may even be like Ace :) !

You should try saving up for a Budokan Les Paul. I am not sure what type of guitar you play, but that is my recommendation. Ace played it most throughout his career and it always brings back memories. I found it looking for random items on websites. I'm not sure if it was Offerup or Ebay, but it was really cheap. and in perfect condition. The person said he bought it at a yard sale and didnt know whose signature was on the guitar (Ace) and he sold it without knowing how much it was worth. It was probably the best item I have ever bought, and it sounds great. Looking on websites can sometimes help you find the coolest things, even at the most random moments! 8)
As much as I want one, the real Gibson Budokans are just really out of my price range, honestly, and I'm not even convinced that they're really worth the price tag. I did see an Epiphone Ace Frehley Signature model at a guitar show last year but I didn't have the cash for it. What I'm planning on doing is getting a Japanese Greco or Burny Budokan copy and just putting a Super Distortion in the bridge, or possibly building a custom replica from parts since I have some connections in that field. I might build a replica of Tommy's silver Les Paul as well.
That's awesome that you got one so cheap though. I look online from time to time but I never get lucky finding someone who doesn't know that they have.

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

The Space Ace wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:32 am
ace_frehley wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:15 am
The Space Ace wrote:
ace_frehley wrote:
The Space Ace wrote:

As much as I want one, the real Gibson Budokans are just really out of my price range, honestly, and I'm not even convinced that they're really worth the price tag. I did see an Epiphone Ace Frehley Signature model at a guitar show last year but I didn't have the cash for it. What I'm planning on doing is getting a Japanese Greco or Burny Budokan copy and just putting a Super Distortion in the bridge, or possibly building a custom replica from parts since I have some connections in that field. I might build a replica of Tommy's silver Les Paul as well.
That's awesome that you got one so cheap though. I look online from time to time but I never get lucky finding someone who doesn't know that they have.
Those are good choices haha. I guess I just got lucky, even though that's the only luck I have got. Honestly, mine was in pretty good condition and it sounds great although you have to take care of the guitar a lot, so it doesnt start to malfunction. I believe the guitar was around $1200 and I got it around 3-4 years ago. Ace played near my location in November of last year and I could have saw him, but I didn't have any money at the time. I was really looking forward to seeing him and I was going to get my pick guard signed by him if I could. So I am honestly just keeping an eye out if he has the chance to come to California at least because it was a huge bummer when I couldn't go.

At the same time you have to look out for phonies. My Budokan is official, although many things signed and made by Ace, that people are selling, usually duplicate the items so they can get more money out of you and keep the original. I almost fell for it when I saw a Budokan guitar case (even though I already have one) that was signed by Ace. I later found out that it was a print when the guy labelled it as ¨real¨. I do hope that you get the guitars you are going for, they are all good choices! Also the idea of building a replica is pretty smart, I never would have thought of that.

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

Randell Stevens wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:28 am
First, welcome to the FAQ.

On to your question... My first recollection of them is when I got off the bus in the 3rd grade waaaaaaaayyyyyy back in 1989. My mom was watching something on TV. It was this....thing.... I wasn't sure. As I stood awestruck blood started to dribble out of its mouth. Then it was everywhere! Then to top it all off...it started playing music with 3 other things...glorious, pulsating, hard hitting, pure rock and roll. She was watching eXposed.....

I was ruined for life. Lol.

Do whatever you can to see them( legally of course). You won't regret it. I had to wait from that autumn day I was introduced to them , until 96 in The Pyramid. I consider it the greatest day of my life outside of seeing my kids born. Good luck!!!
Thank you so much! I am really trying my best to get to them before their tour ends.

The doctor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The doctor »

Cool post ace_frehley!

I would probably blame Mr. Molly Meldrum for my fandom. He hosted an Australian TV music show called Countdown. Mr. Meldrum gave KISS airtime in the '70s and I was hooked!

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fPL89lUamA

Then KISSTERIA hit!
Molly.gif
Austour.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Where's Drago?
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Where's Drago? »

I saw the I Love It Loud video in the spring of 1983 and bought Lick It Up when it was released 6 months later.

jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Heard Alive! in my school's rec room. Sounded punky and raw so I liked it.

Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

Six year-old me found this...

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Another kid I knew named Dennis introduced me to the makeup era, which I thought was OK. It wasn't until my friend John introduced me to ASYLUM that I became a fan. I was very impressed by it, as I still am.

Car Wash Guy
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Car Wash Guy »

I discovered KISS in 1980 during the height of the hysteria leading up to the Australian tour that year.
I vividly remember 'that moment' walking past a storefront and seeing a Kiss mirror depicting the band in their Dynasty costumes. After that point I was swept into the hype of Kiss mania which gripped Australia in 1980.
Musically my favourite era of the band is actually the 1982-1992 period. Great memories from a great time.

Greasepaint74
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Greasepaint74 »

I was in the record dept. @ Sam Solomon if anyone remembers that store, was looking for a Hendrix album under H, saw Hotter than Hell under K. I had no clue who they were, but the front cover looked interesting, I bought it. The needle dropped on Got to Choose, that was it

Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

I became a fan in 1976. A friend of my sisters had an older brother. He was a fan and had their posters and albums in his room. I was fascinated by the imagery and asked my mom for a record. She obliged and came home one day with a copy of Destroyer. I put on Detroit Rock City and have been hooked ever since.

DeweyWarren
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by DeweyWarren »

Yiggity wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:52 pm
Same story for me. Except it was Alive 1. Funny thing is, I became the KISS freak and he's not really a fan

Mystogan
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Mystogan »

I'm 23 and about 12 years ago my Dad showed me Phantom Of The Park. I thought it was cheesy but I loved the songs especially "God Of Thunder" in the credits. Something about the visual of the band interested me in a way a band hadn't before. So slowly I listened to various songs on my MP3 player. I got Gene's book from the library and when I was reading it my Dad gave me some of his KISS CDs. When I played Psycho Circus for the first time I was in. It was a done deal after hearing the title track. I thought this is my band and I went from there and grew way obsessed. They were the first band to ever strike me in this way and everything started from the day I listened to Psycho Circus.

That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy »

It's this guy's fault...

NYRockCity
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by NYRockCity »

Welcome to KissFAQ ace_frehley! I got into Kiss randomly. I went to one of their concerts on my birthday because I had nothing to do on that day and I saw they were playing and I thought it’d be fun. I went in knowing almost nothing about Kiss and I came out of the concert a huge Kiss fan lol my first exposure to Kiss though was the tooth tunes toothbrush commercial that sang Rock and Roll Al Night and much later on I randomly bought their scooby doo movie as a present for my dad because he likes scooby doo and rock lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ViXgz0pGjQ

Crown Royal
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Crown Royal »

Alive as a birthday present in 1975. That got me very interested. Seeing them on Paul Lynde's special sealed the deal for a lifetime of fandom.

FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

Hi, good morning, greetings, welcome and all that.😎

I got into Kiss in 1976 when I saw pictures of Gene covered in blood .I became simultaneously terrified and curious. An older cousin played Shout it Out Loud for me, but never bothered to explain that I was hearing the bloody-faced creature I was obsessed with! Lousy cousins.

A short time later, I was playing at a neighbor’s house and saw Kiss posters in her brother’s room. So of course I started bothering the kid, asking questions, and thankfully he took the time to explain it all.From then on, until he moved back to Argentina, we were pals and listened to records together. I was 9, he was 14-15.To this day, I’m amazed that he was so nice to me, a little brat from down the street who was supposed to be his sister’s friend. Wherever you are,Albert, thank you.:salut:

And as a side note, I’m grateful that I grew up in a time and place where a rambunctious little girl could hang out with a shy teenaged boy without people making a fuss over it.

parasitestudios
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by parasitestudios »

My aunt and uncle got us the solo albums. I’m pretty sure they
also gave us Alive II. Either way, loved them then. I was
probably 3 or 4. Lol.
Teenage years my brother got Asylum from Columbia house
and I was like “hey, those make up guys...without make up!!!.”
I was hooked from there. I know I remember seeing Lick It Up
on MTV back in the day. But I don’t think it registered.
First concert was Hot In The Shade tour. Then I became a
fanatic. The only time my love for the band sort of faded was
post Psycho Circus during the AeroKiss tour. Only tour I sat
out from because I was so disgusted that Peter was back and
Ace was gone. The Singer/Frehley line up was such a missed
opportunity...but I digress.
Sorry for the long winded answer. This band has been as much
a part of my life as anything or anyone.

Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

DeweyWarren wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:41 am
Yiggity wrote:
Same story for me. Except it was Alive 1. Funny thing is, I became the KISS freak and he's not really a fan
Same here. In fact, Alive! was the only KISS album my brother ever owned.

And around the time I was discovering Alive!, my best friend had picked up a copy of Destroyer. So it all started for me with a Alive!/Destroyer 1-2 punch.

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

NYRockCity wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:28 am
Welcome to KissFAQ ace_frehley! I got into Kiss randomly. I went to one of their concerts on my birthday because I had nothing to do on that day and I saw they were playing and I thought it’d be fun. I went in knowing almost nothing about Kiss and I came out of the concert a huge Kiss fan lol my first exposure to Kiss though was the tooth tunes toothbrush commercial that sang Rock and Roll Al Night and much later on I randomly bought their scooby doo movie as a present for my dad because he likes scooby doo and rock lol

Haha, I have that movie also, its pretty addicting. :)

bassmansteiny
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by bassmansteiny »

ace_frehley wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:49 pm
Hey everyone, I am new here. I have been listening to Kiss for all of my life. My life goal is to see Kiss perform. It is sad to know that Kiss is on their last tour, and I am trying to see them when they come to California...
Hey, thanks for sharing your KISS story with us and welcome to the FAQ, my friend. 😃

I graduated from High School in 1994. So KISS, while still well known by the youth of that time, wasn't very popular either. Just me and a few other guys liked them. I also don't get the boomer thing. I mean you make a comment on a YouTube clip and someone calls you a boomer, lol. Last time I checked there aren't too many boomers on YouTube, Millennials, X Gen and the current generation are but not Baby Boomers.

Anyway to answer your question on how I discovered KISS and became a fan. I discovered my sister's Destroyer album. I put it on and listened to the music while looking at the cover. Seeing the guys standing over a destroyed and ruined city. I was hooked ever since. I grew up during the unmasked era though, I was 10 or 11 years old at the time so it was around 1985 or 1986. Saw them on MTV, of course not in makeup and with Bruce and Eric Carr. My first show was Hot In The Shade. Had the opportunity to meet both Bruce and Eric after the show. This was before the days of Meet & Greets. Got an autograph from Bruce, for some reason I didn't get Eric's, I think I was too star-struck to ask. I didn't even think to ask till I saw someone ask for Bruce's and by that point, Eric was back on the bus if I am remembering it all correctly. Seen almost every tour since. The only two I was not able to attend were the KISS/Aerosmith tour and the Monster tour.

I hope you get to catch a show before it is said and done. Welcome to the show...

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

bassmansteiny wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am
ace_frehley wrote:
Hey everyone, I am new here. I have been listening to Kiss for all of my life. My life goal is to see Kiss perform. It is sad to know that Kiss is on their last tour, and I am trying to see them when they come to California...
Hey, thanks for sharing your KISS story with us and welcome to the FAQ, my friend. 😃

I graduated from High School in 1994. So KISS, while still well known by the youth of that time, wasn't very popular either. Just me and a few other guys liked them. I also don't get the boomer thing. I mean you make a comment on a YouTube clip and someone calls you a boomer, lol. Last time I checked there aren't too many boomers on YouTube, Millennials, X Gen and the current generation are but not Baby Boomers.

Anyway to answer your question on how I discovered KISS and became a fan. I discovered my sister's Destroyer album. I put it on and listened to the music while looking at the cover. Seeing the guys standing over a destroyed and ruined city. I was hooked ever since. I grew up during the unmasked era though, I was 10 or 11 years old at the time so it was around 1985 or 1986. Saw them on MTV, of course not in makeup and with Bruce and Eric Carr. My first show was Hot In The Shade. Had the opportunity to meet both Bruce and Eric after the show. This was before the days of Meet & Greets. Got an autograph from Bruce, for some reason I didn't get Eric's, I think I was too star-struck to ask. I didn't even think to ask till I saw someone ask for Bruce's and by that point, Eric was back on the bus if I am remembering it all correctly. Seen almost every tour since. The only two I was not able to attend were the KISS/Aerosmith tour and the Monster tour.

I hope you get to catch a show before it is said and done. Welcome to the show...
Thank you so much! It is nice to see how many people here were drawn to Kiss, you are pretty lucky to meet Eric :)

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

parasitestudios wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:16 am
My aunt and uncle got us the solo albums. I’m pretty sure they
also gave us Alive II. Either way, loved them then. I was
probably 3 or 4. Lol.
Teenage years my brother got Asylum from Columbia house
and I was like “hey, those make up guys...without make up!!!.”
I was hooked from there. I know I remember seeing Lick It Up
on MTV back in the day. But I don’t think it registered.
First concert was Hot In The Shade tour. Then I became a
fanatic. The only time my love for the band sort of faded was
post Psycho Circus during the AeroKiss tour. Only tour I sat
out from because I was so disgusted that Peter was back and
Ace was gone. The Singer/Frehley line up was such a missed
opportunity...but I digress.
Sorry for the long winded answer. This band has been as much
a part of my life as anything or anyone.
I started growing up and loving Kiss when I was young also, some of the best memories I have ever had :)

bassmansteiny
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by bassmansteiny »

ace_frehley wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am
bassmansteiny wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am
ace_frehley wrote:

Thank you so much! It is nice to see how many people here were drawn to Kiss, you are pretty lucky to meet Eric :)
Yes, definitely a memory/experience that I will treasure. 🙂

bassmansteiny
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by bassmansteiny »

The Space Ace wrote:

Hey I was at the Detroit show!!! It was friggen amazing!!

Yiggity

Post by Yiggity »

DeweyWarren wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:41 am
Yiggity wrote:
Same here. Unmasked and the Elder happened and he was done.
I'm still a fan lol.

elleneff
Banned
Banned

Post by elleneff »

How did I become a Kiss fan? Came free with a dose of Chlymedia.:P

The Space Ace
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The Space Ace »

bassmansteiny wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:55 am
The Space Ace wrote:

I bet it was! Consider me envious!

KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

About 1976 when I was fifteen, I had a younger brother around eleven. He discovered KISS somehow and started buying albums and showing me magazine articles. I was completely turned off. As weeks passed, he would play KISS albums in his room and I guess I was unconsciously listening to it. One day I asked him who that music he was listening to was and he said KISS.
I’ve been a fan ever since. He’s still a fan too.

bassmansteiny
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by bassmansteiny »

The Space Ace wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:41 pm
bassmansteiny wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:55 am
The Space Ace wrote:

I bet it was! Consider me envious!

There is a pretty cool behind the scenes video on YouTube. Bunch of footage shot professional, maybe by VH1? If interested, here is the link below

https://youtu.be/DuxIZjEFj1s

benleb
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by benleb »

Heard I Was Made for Lovin' You on the radio in '79 and bought the 45 rpm single. Then the Shandi 45 rpm, Rock and Roll Over, Alive II etc.

In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

It's funny but I don't really know the answer to this question. I remember when I was first aware of them I thought they were dumb and did not like them at all. Then by the end of that year (77) I completely worshipped them and could not get enough. Try as I might though (and I've thought about it a lot), I just can't recall exactly when or how it changed.

Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

In the Suds wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:41 pm
It's funny but I don't really know the answer to this question. I remember when I was first aware of them I thought they were dumb and did not like them at all. Then by the end of that year (77) I completely worshipped them and could not get enough. Try as I might though (and I've thought about it a lot), I just can't recall exactly when or how it changed.
Maybe you read in 16 Magazine that Paul's favorite ice cream flavor was pistachio

In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Crown Royal wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:50 pm
In the Suds wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:41 pm
Maybe you read in 16 Magazine that Paul's favorite ice cream flavor was pistachio
Unlikely but it's possible. I really can't remember. But I do vaguely remember passing on a chance to see them at MSG in 77 :shock: :( .. hey I was ten and din't know! :lol:

NYRockCity
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by NYRockCity »

ace_frehley wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:47 am
NYRockCity wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:28 am

Haha, I have that movie also, its pretty addicting. :)
Didn’t realize it was from a movie

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

benleb wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 pm
Heard I Was Made for Lovin' You on the radio in '79 and bought the 45 rpm single. Then the Shandi 45 rpm, Rock and Roll Over, Alive II etc.
Some of the greatest songs from Kiss! :D

ace_frehley
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ace_frehley »

The doctor wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:24 am
Cool post ace_frehley!

I would probably blame Mr. Molly Meldrum for my fandom. He hosted an Australian TV music show called Countdown. Mr. Meldrum gave KISS airtime in the '70s and I was hooked!

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fPL89lUamA

Then KISSTERIA hit!

Molly.gif

Austour.gif
Nice! 8)

MaPeX77
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by MaPeX77 »

It´s a long story. I became a fan, but after I knew who KISS was. My dad showed me some rock/metal songs when I was around nine years old. The first songs that I listened to were: God of Thunder, Detroit Rock City and I Was Made for Lovin´ You. The one that really caught my attention was ´God of Thunder´. I used to blast it on my old JVC stereo from the 90´s back in 2004-2005 that I had in my room at the time, I still have it but don´t use it that much. I wasn´t so fond of the two other songs at the time. Later in 2006-2007 I heard the song Strutter by KISS on the video game GTA: San Andreas. I didn´t know that it even was a KISS song at the time but I liked it anyways. Years passed and it wasn´t until 2011-2012 that I started listening to rock. Again, meanwhile back in the fall of 2010 I listened to some songs on my laptop on YT and ´I Was Made for Lovin´ You´ was playing. It wasn´t even planned, my YouTube was on autoplay. It was like a miracle and I listened to the song for the most back then. It wasn´t until the late spring of 2012 that I became an official KISS fan. I just finished ninth grade back then. ´Heavens on Fire´ dragged me in to the world of KISS. I also watched the movie ´Detroit Rock City´ so that made me an even bigger fan. I listened to hits like Crazy, Crazy Nights, Tonight You Belong to Me, Love Gun, Shandi, A World Without Heroes, Black Diamond and Jungle through the whole summer. Then did I discover even more great KISS songs later on. Most of the persons at the school didn´t listen to KISS, Led Zeppelin, Boston or some other rock bands. There were a few rockers that I got to know but after several months, I was the only one with a KISS t-shirt at the school. Many of them listened to the pop and house hits. So I started playing guitar after that. I had an old Jolana Vikomt guitar that I got from my uncle, it was produced in Czechoslovakia. Probably in the 70´s. I bought myself a descent guitar in 2016 and also learned to play some songs even better. Thing is that I could only play rhythm guitar when I played the KISS songs and all the other songs by various bands. The solo´s were impossible for me to manage, I wasn´t made to play lead guitar. It was easier on Guitar Hero but a lot harder in real life. In 2013 I attended my first KISS Concert during the Monster World Tour. I was 16 years old back then. The show was amazing. It´s sad that I didn´t get the chance to see the original line-up. Ace is my fave member. Destroyer is my best KISS album and it was magical when I listened to it in the fall of 2012. That was one of the first KISS albums that I listened to. On the way to school I listened to and had lots of KISS songs on my Nokia N8 at the time. I remember the small original Nokia headphones which I used to listen to KISS. The sound was not that good but KISS was playing, that was good. No one have ever heard or thought of some ´Bluetooth headphones´ back then. It was a second/third gen smartphone but then didn´t all of us have 3G connection on all our devices. Using social media on your phone was out of the question, as I say for the most of us. We weren´t preoccupied with all the social media notifications and the times were more free in a way.
Last edited by MaPeX77 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

The doctor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The doctor »

Welcome MaPeX77. Great story too!