Vinnie's Birthday Bash

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Rip Rokken
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Re: Vinnie's Birthday Bash

Post by Rip Rokken » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 am

Nately120 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 am
That's possible, but he's going to have to drastically alter his marketing style if he plans on reaching more people.
This is what's so difficult for many people to wrap their heads around. This event is exactly what Vinnie himself wanted to do, down to the scale and number of attendees. Once that number was hit, several others were turned away. It was never about big numbers, and was anything but a cash grab. The Birthday Bash was designed to be successful, to successfully happen, and to be enjoyable for everyone there on an epic scale. No big public details in advance, no buying in at the door, etc. Having been there I can tell you I don't see how we could have handled any more. The studio was practically running us out the door as we were there nearly an hour after they closed, lol. Great staff they were though -- super cool place for this event, and we even had a sound man on-hand for us.

Nately120
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Nately120 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 am

highvoltage1969 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:45 am
Rip Rokken wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 am
Legba007 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:20 am
mamado wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:53 pm
WOW!!! So they've kept the location a secret till an hour before... ! :sunny: :cheers: :flower: :thumleft:
we can't get anywhere in a hour in Nashville traffic
LOL, the traffic was terrible in Nashville from day one, but luckily our official hotel for the event was close enough to the actual venue for it not to be a problem. We were told the approximate time and were asked to stay tuned so we were all hanging out and well prepared to get rolling on a moment's notice. Got the official word on venue about 30 minutes before we started. Yes, it was a perfect strategy and the event could not have turned out better. Big kudos to the organizer for all his hard work and brilliant planning.
Will we get to see any photos or video of the event?
Vinnie has catered to a cult audience in the sense that only those who already "knew" he could shred get to see him shred. It sort of reminds me of that time a guy who believed in ghosts told me that ghosts didn't show themselves to me because they could tell I didn't believe in them...or something.

For the love of a free-market, I say Vinnie can do this...it's just very interesting.

Nately120

Post by Nately120 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:00 am

Rip Rokken wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 am
Nately120 wrote:
That's possible, but he's going to have to drastically alter his marketing style if he plans on reaching more people.
This is what's so difficult for many people to wrap their heads around. This event is exactly what Vinnie himself wanted to do, down to the scale and number of attendees. Once that number was hit, several others were turned away. It was never about big numbers, and was anything but a cash grab. The Birthday Bash was designed to be successful, to successfully happen, and to be enjoyable for everyone there on an epic scale. No big public details in advance, no buying in at the door, etc. Having been there I can tell you I don't see how we could have handled any more. The studio was practically running us out the door as we were there nearly an hour after they closed, lol. Great staff they were though -- super cool place for this event, and we even had a sound man on-hand for us.
Listen, I'm not trying to combat you or Vinnie here...you just said he's going to prove it to the next group that sees him and I'm saying that distributing your event schedule via secret facebook groups and text messages the day of an event isn't the way to spread the message to the masses.

Vinnie is intentionally screening his audience and making sure the people who see him are hand-picked and vetted and meet certain criteria. Again, it's his right to do this. And I've had good chats and laughs and pics and beers and autographs from legit former-platinum musicians who were super nice and grateful, too...they just played a show before hand and it was on the internet and advertised and on youtube and so on and so forth.

Again, I'm chuffed you had a swell time. I would have had a good time too, I'd wager, but I know I couldn't pass the inspection to get in the door. And that is what intrigues me about this whole thing.

Rip Rokken
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Rip Rokken » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:01 am

highvoltage1969 wrote:
There are tons of photos from the event already online. No video allowed, nor did we want to watch him play through a tiny little screen. What a way to lose the moment that would have been. I was no more than 4 feet away from him while he was tearing up the fretboard, and he played twice, for a total of about 30 minutes. I commented that he hasn't lost a millimeter of ability. Some others with more encyclopedic knowledge than I are saying he's actually even better than 1987, and they would know. Nobody is blowing smoke here. But no... there won't be any video. I'm looking forward to the next event and seeing the next group of fans experience the same thing.

missingdiver
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by missingdiver » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:02 am

Pant suit pics please or it didnt happenn.

Rip Rokken
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Rip Rokken » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:12 am

Nately120 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:00 am
Rip Rokken wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 am
Nately120 wrote:
Listen, I'm not trying to combat you or Vinnie here...you just said he's going to prove it to the next group that sees him and I'm saying that distributing your event schedule via secret facebook groups and text messages the day of an event isn't the way to spread the message to the masses.

Vinnie is intentionally screening his audience and making sure the people who see him are hand-picked and vetted and meet certain criteria. Again, it's his right to do this. And I've had good chats and laughs and pics and beers and autographs from legit former-platinum musicians who were super nice and grateful, too...they just played a show before hand and it was on the internet and advertised and on youtube and so on and so forth.

Again, I'm chuffed you had a swell time. I would have had a good time too, I'd wager, but I know I couldn't pass the inspection to get in the door. And that is what intrigues me about this whole thing.
Thanks, and not trying to combat you either. Definitely not suggesting this was the gig for everyone, and would also never suggest people who didn't attend were idiots for being skeptical or doubting it would happen. Everyone has their own perspectives and experiences. I also got bit by the Graceland purchases until I fought Derek Christopher with credit card disputes, and was lucky to recoup 100%. The Speedball Jamm performance was different... Derek was out of the picture and when it was cancelled (not due to low sales, btw), everyone was immediately refunded. A different approach was taken this time that ended up being the right one for this particular event, and it was a success. We'll find out what comes next. :)

Rip Rokken
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Rip Rokken » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:13 am

missingdiver wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:02 am
How about, "No suit for you!" ~ The Suit Nazi :lol:

Rip Rokken
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Rip Rokken » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 am

Rip Rokken wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:13 am
missingdiver wrote:
I have pics of some stage costumes and other really cool memorabilia though. Want to see them?

star_paul12

Post by star_paul12 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:17 am

*charges $300 to come to birthday party* but it’s “not a cash grab” lol y’all nuts crack me up

highvoltage1969

Post by highvoltage1969 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:22 am

Rip Rokken wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:01 am
highvoltage1969 wrote:
There are tons of photos from the event already online. No video allowed, nor did we want to watch him play through a tiny little screen. What a way to lose the moment that would have been. I was no more than 4 feet away from him while he was tearing up the fretboard, and he played twice, for a total of about 30 minutes. I commented that he hasn't lost a millimeter of ability. Some others with more encyclopedic knowledge than I are saying he's actually even better than 1987, and they would know. Nobody is blowing smoke here. But no... there won't be any video. I'm looking forward to the next event and seeing the next group of fans experience the same thing.
I've seen a handful on the VV forum but none of him playing. As far as I can tell from the photos online there were 3 people there. I'd really like to hear him play again.

Rip Rokken
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Rip Rokken » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 am

Rip Rokken wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 am
Rip Rokken wrote:
missingdiver wrote:
I have pics of some stage costumes and other really cool memorabilia though. Want to see them?
Gotta run some errands so I'll post my next answer in advance.... NO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rip Rokken
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Rip Rokken » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am

highvoltage1969 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:22 am
Rip Rokken wrote:
highvoltage1969 wrote:
I've seen a handful on the VV forum but none of him playing. As far as I can tell from the photos online there were 3 people there. I'd really like to hear him play again.
Definitely NOT 3 people there, lol. The signing alone took 90 minutes until the studio started having to hustle us out because it was past closing time, and even then everyone got taken care of before we left. Here are a few pics of things he signed for me (included with that $300 price, not extra). He was kind enough to sign my Treasure LP as "Vinnie Cusano", then laughed that he'd included the star with it out of habit. I'm not sure how many others he's signed this way.
Treasure.jpeg
Signatures.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mackemkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mackemkiss » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 am

Turning people away at the door now?!!
“Please Vinnie take my $300 so I can eat a cupcake and some salad near you!”
VV: “No sorry. I don’t want your money”

Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:55 am

Someone on You Tube said that there was a quick 15 second video of Vinnie playing (at the bash)
that was posted online yesterday morning . It was quickly taken down after a few minutes.

This person said that his playing was fast but also very sloppy.

Take it for what it's worth.

Kisscandinavia
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kisscandinavia » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am

[/quote]

Yes, please!!!!

Nately120

Post by Nately120 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:00 am

Rip Rokken wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am
highvoltage1969 wrote:
Rip Rokken wrote:
highvoltage1969 wrote:
Definitely NOT 3 people there, lol. The signing alone took 90 minutes until the studio started having to hustle us out because it was past closing time, and even then everyone got taken care of before we left. Here are a few pics of things he signed for me (included with that $300 price, not extra). He was kind enough to sign my Treasure LP as "Vinnie Cusano", then laughed that he'd included the star with it out of habit. I'm not sure how many others he's signed this way.

Treasure.jpeg

Signatures.jpeg
All wackiness aside, that Treasure LP with his real named signed on it is pretty cool in a dorktastic way. I approve.

highvoltage1969

Post by highvoltage1969 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 am

Rip Rokken wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am
highvoltage1969 wrote:
Rip Rokken wrote:
highvoltage1969 wrote:

Treasure.jpeg

Signatures.jpeg
Nice collection of signed vinyl, cool.

Roughly how many people do you think were at the event?

EggFlip
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by EggFlip » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:21 am

30 X $300 9000 dollars plus. Not bad for 15 mins of shredding.

Uzi_of_Ooze

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:34 am

VV did not shred. Those who were "there" can say as much as they want to support that he did but based on all evidence leading up to the B-day Bash he was incapable.

In the Suds
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by In the Suds » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:37 am

And what's the appeal of a few minutes of out of context shredding in the first place? That I don't get. But I'm not the audience for this.

Nately120

Post by Nately120 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:58 am

In the Suds wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:37 am
And what's the appeal of a few minutes of out of context shredding in the first place? That I don't get. But I'm not the audience for this.
That's one of the things that seemed odd to me since Vinnie switched the first show from an acoustic set to a full shredd, this 'n' that which eventually went to a Speedball Jamm with no vocals, to shredding on his own. The idea of Vinnie playing and singing his actual songs on an acoustic singer-songwriter style seems infinitely more appealing than him grabbing a flying V and shredding some generic line of notes completely out of context.

It's just a head-scratching thing and it almost seems like he goes out of his way to limit his appeal and the reach of his events.

Tito
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Tito » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:04 am

His disappearance used to seem so weird. Until his comeback turned out even weirder.

ZachAttack
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ZachAttack » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:18 am

He thoroughly screened anyone who wanted to attend so he could only let in people that he knows will never dare to speak a negative word about him, then he wouldn't let anyone record audio or video. That should tell you all you need to know.

Nately120

Post by Nately120 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:20 am

Tito wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:04 am
His disappearance used to seem so weird. Until his comeback turned out even weirder.
His progression from his re-emergence until now was a piecemeal descent from old musician to cult figure. He was originally advertising and selling tickets online to a show where he would play and sing songs from his past bands (like every other musician) and then it steadily led to less public marketing and more secretive planning/instruction and less actual music until he was texting people where to come and eat food he cooked and maybe hear him play some improvisational solos.

torgotheme
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by torgotheme » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:35 am

I don't doubt Vinnie can still shred.

Lettuce.

Diss

Post by Diss » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:37 am

Someone should contact SIR and ask them about the event specifics, how many were really there, etc.

Otherwise, the comments from the "inner circle" are about as believable as this:

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyX5VWzeKPM

Legba007
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Legba007 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am

Rip Rokken wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 am
Legba007 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:20 am
mamado wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:53 pm
WOW!!! So they've kept the location a secret till an hour before... ! :sunny: :cheers: :flower: :thumleft:
we can't get anywhere in a hour in Nashville traffic
LOL, the traffic was terrible in Nashville from day one, but luckily our official hotel for the event was close enough to the actual venue for it not to be a problem. We were told the approximate time and were asked to stay tuned so we were all hanging out and well prepared to get rolling on a moment's notice. Got the official word on venue about 30 minutes before we started. Yes, it was a perfect strategy and the event could not have turned out better. Big kudos to the organizer for all his hard work and brilliant planning.
did y'all have to drive from "said" hotel or did VV provide transportation for y'all?

and any video or pics ...would love to see if you can post'em

Mackemkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mackemkiss » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:43 am

is Rik Rokket Vinnie?

Forevertj
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Forevertj » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:45 am

redinthesky wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 am
Stanley! You look so cute wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:05 am
Something is really off about the reports of his playing at this event. Lots of hyperbole about how how his fingers were "flying" and "a blur" but no details whatsoever about what he actually played. And surely VV would have wanted a video to be uploaded to silence all of those of us who doubted him since his utterly disastrous attempts at playing at his previous recent live appearances, when he could barely get it together to strum through LIU? I call shenanigans on this until we see video evidence. As well as cooking for everyone ("About that food... wow! What a spread. I asked him who had catered, and he mentioned that he prepared it all himself because he wanted it to be perfect for us") there must have been an on-tap supply of pink VV kool-aid at this party, there's definitely an indoctrinated, cult-like energy in the reports. "His hands were a blur they were moving so damn fast!" - all I can picture is VV rifling through people's wallets when I read this.

Did he turn up - yes. Did he perform a private, Fullll Shredddd gig for the handful of people in attendance? Fuck outta here.
Great summary. In other words, it's the usual Vinnie bubble - nothing but bullshit.

And you know, I'll be damned if I pay $300 for anything involving food, and not have a professional prepare the food as opposed to (IMO) an unclean washed-up 30-year hasbeen former low-rung rock "star" cooking it. MFer did it to spend as little and pocket as much as possible. He's a scumbag.

So you are saying you don't want Vinnie to toss your salad?

Hotter Than Heck
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Hotter Than Heck » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:45 am

Blabbermouth is reporting on the Birthday Bash today:

<<<Ex-KISS Guitarist VINNIE VINCENT Throws 'Birthday Bash' In Nashville: 'Six Hours Of Stories, Music, Photos And Fun'

August 11, 2019

Former KISS guitarist Vinnie Vincent reportedly celebrated his 67th birthday at a private event for select fans last night (Saturday, August 10) in Nashville, Tennessee. The party took place at S.I.R. Studios and consisted of "six hours of stories, music, photos and fun."

Several photos from the event have been posted on social media, along with a YouTube video, but the clip has since been taken down. The pictures can be seen below.

Vincent announced his birthday bash this past June via his official web site. He followed it up with a Facebook message in which he lamented the existence of "relentless Internet bullying mobs of hate-filled lunatics engaged in the systematic witch hunt to sabotage my brand name and reputation" and expressed his desire to "publicly enjoy this ride with the fans whether it's playing, recording or reconnecting with the fans." Vinnie went on to say that he was "planning some surprises" at the bash and promised that "it will be a blast."

The official announcement of Vinnie's birthday party came just a month after the cancelation of his performance at the "Speedballjamm", which was scheduled to take place on June 7 at the S.I.R. Soundstage in Nashville.

Vincent's "Speedballjamm" appearance was being billed as an intimate event, with only 60 VIP tickets being made available at the cost of $300 per ticket. The performance was supposed to see Vincent backed by his handpicked musicians, Mike Weeks and Chuck White.

Earlier in the year, Vinnie called off his original comeback concerts. which were supposed to take place February 8 and February 9 in Nashville, due to a dispute with the promoter.

Robert Fleischman, a former member of JOURNEY and Vincent's post-KISS band VINNIE VINCENT INVASION, was supposed to sing for Vinnie but abruptly pulled out of the project in November, saying that he was unhappy about elements of the production.

Derek Christopher, the promoter of Vinnie's comeback concerts, said that he was "shocked" by Vincent's decision to scrap the shows two weeks before they were scheduled to take place.

Vincent's plan for his comeback has publicly changed several times. In the initial announcement, the show — which was originally slated to happen in November — was described as a true solo gig with Vinnie singing and playing songs from his career on acoustic guitar and telling stories about the old days.

Last summer, KISS bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons suggested in an interview that Vincent was "his own worst enemy" and expressed his doubt that Vinnie would successfully relaunch his career.

"There's something called the classic failure mechanism, which I was told by doctors and everything — I'm not saying he is one," Simmons said at the time when asked about Vincent's attempt to trademark the name "Vinnie Vincent's Kiss". "But there are people who simply cannot handle when things are starting to go their way — success — so they torpedo it by making stupid decisions to make sure they don't succeed, so they can deal with that."

Vincent — who was a member of KISS when the band publicly "unmasked" in 1983 — made several public appearances last year after spending the past two decades out of the public eye.

Vinnie joined KISS in 1982, replacing Ace Frehley. As the "Ankh Warrior," he toured with the group in support of "Creatures Of The Night", on which he played lead guitar on six songs prior to becoming an official member of the band.>>>

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-kis ... s-and-fun/

redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:49 am

Forevertj wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:45 am
redinthesky wrote:
Something is really off about the reports of his playing at this event. Lots of hyperbole about how how his fingers were "flying" and "a blur" but no details whatsoever about what he actually played. And surely VV would have wanted a video to be uploaded to silence all of those of us who doubted him since his utterly disastrous attempts at playing at his previous recent live appearances, when he could barely get it together to strum through LIU? I call shenanigans on this until we see video evidence. As well as cooking for everyone ("About that food... wow! What a spread. I asked him who had catered, and he mentioned that he prepared it all himself because he wanted it to be perfect for us") there must have been an on-tap supply of pink VV kool-aid at this party, there's definitely an indoctrinated, cult-like energy in the reports. "His hands were a blur they were moving so damn fast!" - all I can picture is VV rifling through people's wallets when I read this.

Did he turn up - yes. Did he perform a private, Fullll Shredddd gig for the handful of people in attendance? Fuck outta here.
Great summary. In other words, it's the usual Vinnie bubble - nothing but bullshit.

And you know, I'll be damned if I pay $300 for anything involving food, and not have a professional prepare the food as opposed to (IMO) an unclean washed-up 30-year hasbeen former low-rung rock "star" cooking it. MFer did it to spend as little and pocket as much as possible. He's a scumbag.

You went to the joke I deliberately avoided earlier in this thread!

Besides, that costs at least another $300 I'm sure.

Forevertj

Post by Forevertj » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:50 am

redinthesky wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:49 am
Forevertj wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:45 am
redinthesky wrote:

You went to the joke I deliberately avoided earlier in this thread!

Besides, that costs at least another $300 I'm sure.

That is hilarious. 300 for that is a bargin. Joke away man!

Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:57 am

Somehow, someway, Vinnie has scooped any other news of the week.

And I'll go back to it again - those gold Ankh gifts are something else.

If there were 100 made and the attendance, if true, garnered around 30 souls, by my maths that leaves 3 score and 10 for the rest of us plebs.

Where (oh where) can I get one?

Nately120

Post by Nately120 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:59 am

Mackemkiss wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:43 am
is Rik Rokket Vinnie?
I'd wager no, unless Vinnie really changed his MO when it comes to sockpuppeting.

Mackemkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mackemkiss » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:00 pm

Says 60 in the article, although the photo looks more like 1.

Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Mackemkiss wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:00 pm
Says 60 in the article, although the photo looks more like 1.
I must've missed that.

I mean, folks are laying into him - but rarely did you get 60 fans turing up to a Vault event. Am I right?

KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Rip Rokken wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 am
Rip Rokken wrote:
Rip Rokken wrote:
missingdiver wrote:
Gotta run some errands so I'll post my next answer in advance.... NO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It would be great if you could post pics showing the people there, to give us an idea of the size of the crowd, layout, and of course pics of Vinnie playing. I'm sure you must have taken some, no?

Diss

Post by Diss » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:21 pm

That blabbermouth article also has the fake photo of Vinnie sitting in an empty room of the hotel as if it's real. I'm sure there was ZERO fact-checking on that, so the fact that anyone would take it seriously is ridiculous. They probably went to the VV forum and wrote the article based on posts there. Garbage site that only wants to stir pots. They should never be used to validate anything. Just a bunch of leeches and vultures. Other than that, they're great.

LadySpace84
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by LadySpace84 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:56 pm

Tito wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:04 am
Indeed

C

Post by C » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Rip Rokken wrote:
Rip Rokken wrote:
missingdiver wrote:
That would be cool