Music from "The Elder", Resurrected: an, admittedly somewhat silly, fan project

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Faceless
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Music from "The Elder", Resurrected: an, admittedly somewhat silly, fan project

Post by Faceless » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 am

Music from "The Elder" was an important record for me at the time.

I had come into KISS —and pop/rock music at large— with Dynasty. I had mixed feelings about Unmasked, liking the compositions but not so much liking how most of them were performed. So, when I got Music of "The Elder" I was blown away with the heavy start of The Oath (which was the opening song of the original vinyl version, at least in the version sold in the Netherlands but afaik this was the case for all versions back then). And I liked the soft ballads as well; they were soft like I imagined minstrel songs to be, not in a poppy way like Shandi.

Psychologically, it was also somewhat of a consolation I suppose. I was about 12 years old, and felt very isolated (new school, no friends there, and my old friends went to other schools and we lost contact), and even though I didn't understand English very well, I picked up most of the lyrics and I suppose the theme resonated with me.

Nonetheless this was my last KISS record. I moved on to heavier rock and metal, and later on stoner rock. I think it must have been in my mid 20s that I bought Alive! on CD and listened to KISS again, after well over a decade.

But since then I occasionally have these KISS periods, and got reacquainted with Music from "The Elder" as well. Yet, although I like the new order of the songs, supposedly/allegedly following the story, I really miss The Oath as an opener! So, I decided to make my own edit: I created an abridged version of The Oath (not a fade out: I cut off after the first chorus and edited in the ending after that) and placed that at the beginning. Furthermore, I recently decided to add in Carr Jam (which I took the liberty to rename "Entanglements"; I also considered "The Plot Thickens") and I took this 'new order' as an excuse to create a cover for it.

Of course I can't share the sound files (it'd be nice to share that abridged The Oath but I suppose it's still copyrighted material), but I can at least post that cover. (BTW! The drawing of 'The Fox' in RARO style is heavily based on someone else's creation: a six-faces version of RARO which I saw in a KISS group on Reddit; the poster was not the creator and didn't seem to know who was, but I felt like using it contributes to it being 'canonized' rather than plagiarized. Not that it matters much: I'm not publishing this anywhere else than here.)

Now, what I wonder: am I the only one creating these personalized versions of albums / compilations that go somewhat further than just a collection of songs?

EDIT: Thanks to Diss, for pointing out I had the title wrong all the time (Music of "The Elder" instead of Music from "The Elder")
Last edited by Faceless on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

Diggity Dawg
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re: Music of "The Elder", Resurrected: an, admittedly somewhat silly, fan project

Post by Diggity Dawg » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:13 am

Years ago, I kinda messed around with a "deluxe" version myself. If I remember right, I added "Nowhere To Run" in there somewhere, & tacked the orchestral version of "Black Diamond" from "Kiss My Ass" on the end as kind of an "End Credits" theme deal.

Faceless
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re: Music of "The Elder", Resurrected: an, admittedly somewhat silly, fan project

Post by Faceless » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:33 am

Diggity Dawg wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:13 am
Years ago, I kinda messed around with a "deluxe" version myself. If I remember right, I added "Nowhere To Run" in there somewhere, & tacked the orchestral version of "Black Diamond" from "Kiss My Ass" on the end as kind of an "End Credits" theme deal.
Nice one!

It's a pity that so many lyrics of KISS songs deal with sex and love... Apart from being not hugely interesting, it also somewhat limits their conceptual potential, imho. Nonetheless it might be a nice new project to create another 'concept album' compilation.

redinthesky
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by redinthesky » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:22 am

How cool would it be if Kiss released a digital 40th anniversary "Deluxe Elder" in two years...heck it'd be great if they did a 40th anniversary Dynasty this year. Kiss blows a lot of good opportunities (like Van Halen also does).

Australia1980

Post by Australia1980 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:29 am

I made my own custom version of Hot In The Shade a while back. I removed about 5 songs and also put the tracks in a different order. It came out good.

I should spin that this week.

ManOf1000Faces
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ManOf1000Faces » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:14 am

I like the cover concept. To me, "Resurrected" would include live versions and demos. Your concept, however, would flow better musically, and be a more enjoyable listen. I never thought about "Nowhere to Run" fitting the concept, but it does. Another addition could be "Partners in Crime". Imagine following "Only You" with "I'm a Legend Tonight" (maybe with some alternate lyrics).

FlamingRuth
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by FlamingRuth » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks for your post, Faceless.I liked reading about your background as a fan.
Personally, I can never get enough of these kinds of projects ...taking what we got from Kiss and expanding on their ideas.

Recently,there was a thread on here where a few of us talked about using songs from COS to develop the characters and tell a more complete story of the Elder. I could definitely go with songs from Killers, too.

ohiostate98
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ohiostate98 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:17 am

That’s pretty cool!

Mackemkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mackemkiss » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:33 am

I love it!
I already love The Elder but your version looks even better.
The only track i dislike is Odessey which doesn't do it for me at all.

Faceless
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Faceless » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks for the kind feedback folks!
ManOf1000Faces wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:14 am
I like the cover concept. To me, "Resurrected" would include live versions and demos. Your concept, however, would flow better musically, and be a more enjoyable listen. I never thought about "Nowhere to Run" fitting the concept, but it does. Another addition could be "Partners in Crime". Imagine following "Only You" with "I'm a Legend Tonight" (maybe with some alternate lyrics).
I agree that 'resurrected' isn't an ideal adjective, but I couldn't think of something else. (Well, the first term that came to mind was 'redeemed', but I thought that was too presumptuous, although to me personally it is a redemption to have it started with the intro of The Oath again.)

I'm not very familiar with anything KISS did after The Elder, except Psycho Circus, and too be honest I haven't gone through it. I just had it somewhere in my mind that there was this Eric Carr outtake somewhere on a later album, and that's what I went after. It'd be nice to make an extended version.

FlamingRuth wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:50 am
Thanks for your post, Faceless.I liked reading about your background as a fan.
Personally, I can never get enough of these kinds of projects ...taking what we got from Kiss and expanding on their ideas.

Recently,there was a thread on here where a few of us talked about using songs from COS to develop the characters and tell a more complete story of the Elder. I could definitely go with songs from Killers, too.
That sounds great! Has this come to some sort of a concept yet?

Btw talking about developing characters: I know that behind-the-screens, there was little to no cooperation on Psycho Circus, but I've always felt that this was, at least conceptually, a very (self-)reflective album, a concept maybe not so much in contents (as there is no story told in the lyrics) but in an overarching thematology showcasing the 'four musketeers'. But such wonderings should probably go in another thread.

Mackemkiss wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:33 am
I love it!
I already love The Elder but your version looks even better.
The only track i dislike is Odessey which doesn't do it for me at all.
I can't say I dislike it, but it is a bit cringeworthy indeed. Also, musically it might fit better somewhere in the end of the record (on the vinyl release that opened with The Oath, it was came right before I) but on the remaster Just a Boy crossfades into Odyssey in a way that would make it less then ideal to re-separate them (and I couldn't find any cracks-and-hiss free vinyl rips on the internet, and my own copy isn't either). Besides, I somewhat like the crossfade, and lyrically it makes some sort of sense right after Just a Boy (as if the protagonist reached out to some astral / elemental beings, and they're on their way now.

bassmansteiny
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bassmansteiny » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:59 pm

I used to do mix tapes, of KISS and also of random bands if that counts. I still buy CDs and such but I RIP them onto my computer then onto my phone and bluetooth that to my car stereo, home stereo or listen with headphones. I've done a couple KISS albums and other band albums by mixing up the track order or adding in live versions if I can find them to the Live albums. I used to make covers for my Cassette s and CDs back in the day when I did those but not for the mp3 folders. I got to say what you did is pretty cool, I especially love the cover and back cover!

Diss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Diss » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Pretty cool, but it's "Music FROM The Elder," not "of" The Elder." Unless you did that intentionally.

Kissologist

Post by Kissologist » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:28 pm

That's a great cover! 8)
While youger, I imagined several versions of The Elder: movie, play, book and sequel :)

Faceless
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re: Music from "The Elder", Resurrected: an, admittedly somewhat silly, fan project

Post by Faceless » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Diss wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:09 pm
Pretty cool, but it's "Music FROM The Elder," not "of" The Elder." Unless you did that intentionally.
Oops! Big mistake that I'll correct asap (which will be tomorrow at earliest).

I suppose that I have somehow relapsed to my 1980s grasp of English when dealing with emotionally loaded stuff... (In Dutch, both from and of would translate as "van" in this particular case, and it took me a while to get some sort of a feeling for the difference).

Thanks for pointing it out!

EDIT: Changed; thanks again!

Faceless
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re: Music from "The Elder", Resurrected: an, admittedly somewhat silly, fan project

Post by Faceless » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 pm

bassmansteiny wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:59 pm
I used to do mix tapes, of KISS and also of random bands if that counts. I still buy CDs and such but I RIP them onto my computer then onto my phone and bluetooth that to my car stereo, home stereo or listen with headphones. I've done a couple KISS albums and other band albums by mixing up the track order or adding in live versions if I can find them to the Live albums. I used to make covers for my Cassette s and CDs back in the day when I did those but not for the mp3 folders. I got to say what you did is pretty cool, I especially love the cover and back cover!
Thanks. Sounds familiar! I also rip my new CDs asap, and 99 out of 100 times that I listen to my music it is through either my PC or mp3 player (or tablet via a wireless speaker). I also plug in my mp3 player in the car because its cd player died some years ago, and there's no reason to spend money and time on having it fixed.

Back in the days my friends and I exchanged tapes and later CD-Rs, indeed with often elaborate home-made covers! Too bad CD-Rs turned out not to be as time-resistant as we all thought (I still have a few that still work, over 15 years old). I also used clips from conversations from movies as intros to songs. I can't recall I ever used a KISS track though; none of my friends would have appreciated that anyway, but it also never crossed my mind. In hindsight, a weird song like Strange Ways might have fitted in somewhere.

Diss

Post by Diss » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 am

Faceless wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:50 pm
Diss wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:09 pm
Oops! Big mistake that I'll correct asap (which will be tomorrow at earliest).

I suppose that I have somehow relapsed to my 1980s grasp of English when dealing with emotionally loaded stuff... (In Dutch, both from and of would translate as "van" in this particular case, and it took me a while to get some sort of a feeling for the difference).

Thanks for pointing it out!

EDIT: Changed; thanks again!
No problem. I actually prefer "of" the Elder, as it makes it sound more mystical. They used "From" at the time because they thought there would definitely be a movie. That of course never happened.

within
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by within » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am

Diss wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 am
[...]because they thought there would definitely be a movie. That of course never happened.
Makes me think... wouldn't it be a fun fan-project to make this movie become a reality? :D

redinthesky

Post by redinthesky » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 am

within wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am
Diss wrote:
[...]because they thought there would definitely be a movie. That of course never happened.
Makes me think... wouldn't it be a fun fan-project to make this movie become a reality? :D
:P

within
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by within » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am

Btw I like your general idea about the cover and I also just found this picture here, which somehow fits to your idea with those faces ;) if only Paul's hairband wasn't purple, it would be quite "in the style" of your idea somehow :)

Faceless
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Faceless » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:34 am

redinthesky wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 am
within wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 am
Diss wrote:
:P
I suppose you're joking because fully aware (as I suspect most of you who are way more into this than I am) but there is an actual group of people dedicated to this. I visited their web site yesterday (and realized I had seen it before, but forgot); last update was from around 5 years ago.

within
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by within » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:36 am

To be honest I wasn't aware of that project, however it doesn't surprise me that I'm not the first one who thought of this :D could you post the link of that website?

Faceless
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Faceless » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:39 am

within wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am
Btw I like your general idea about the cover and I also just found this picture here, which somehow fits to your idea with those faces ;) if only Paul's hairband wasn't purple, it would be quite "in the style" of your idea somehow :)

The color scheme would match, but I dislike these outfits (and did so at the time as well).

The idea with the RARO faces turned inside out was more to emulate the cherubim / angelic animals like they are featured in the tarot card The World (or Universe):

ManOf1000Faces
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ManOf1000Faces » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm

within wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am

That definitely should've been the back cover. Keep the front as is, to preserve the mystery, but put the band on the back.

redinthesky

Post by redinthesky » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Australia1980 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:29 am
I made my own custom version of Hot In The Shade a while back. I removed about 5 songs and also put the tracks in a different order. It came out good.

I should spin that this week.
I'll always love HITS. I do think it'd have been better with a few of the weaker songs off it, but I'll always love that album. Your version is the better one I'm sure!

Going back a bit here, I believe someone here (or who used to be here) tinkered with the sound of HITS a whiles ago and "released" his version for anyone who wanted to listen? I didn't get a chance, but I remember some posters saying they really liked it.

Faceless
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Faceless » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 pm

within wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:36 am
To be honest I wasn't aware of that project, however it doesn't surprise me that I'm not the first one who thought of this :D could you post the link of that website?
www.ElderTheMovie.com