a friend's Facebook post

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
godofthunder1969
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

a friend's Facebook post

Post by godofthunder1969 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 pm

had to share this cuz I'm still scratching my head lol.

a friend of mine posted this on FB today: "I feel like KISS is overrated.....There I said it." hey no problem, not everyone needs to like KISS. I replied with something like "we can still be friends".

I had to, of course, read through the ensuing replies and discussion. a bunch of people agreed with him and others supported the band. again, all good.

then I see this one girl say, "They were my first concert back in 1990, Hot In The Shade album. Saw them again in 2014. Exact.Same. Show." I was thinking, like, WHAT?! I responded to her with, "Haha you may not care for them but the two shows you saw couldn't have been any more different from one another lol!" she replied with "eh, aside from the Sphinx on the stage, not really".

she clearly remembered something with dropping the HITS title and the Leon reference so how could she say they were the Exact.Same. Show?! maybe she was drunk and passed out at the Leppard show, I dunno!

Starkiller1980
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: a friend's Facebook post

Post by Starkiller1980 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm

KISS is just one of those bands that people will go out of their way to hate on no matter what.

wise
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by wise » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Here’s that lady now.

ZachAttack
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ZachAttack » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 pm

This is just like the idiots who claim “this is their 10th farewell tour” or one guy I saw swore “they already did a farewell tour in 1990”

HOFCity

Post by HOFCity » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Starkiller1980 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm
KISS is just one of those bands that people will go out of their way to hate on no matter what.
I've always found this to be the case as well.

Wonder why ? I mean they're just a band , like them or don't like them but most people seem to absolutely despise them.

Torpedo_Boy
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Torpedo_Boy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:36 am

The HitS tour was one of my favorites... and nothing like the 40 Year Anniversary tour. Way more songs in the former, including "I Stole Your Love," "Strutter,"
"I Want You", etc. different line-up, different stage, no-make up vs. make-up & costumes, Paul could sing, etc. etc. Taste is subjective, but I don't see how anyone could equate them as the same show.

Ikons
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Ikons » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 am

HOFCity wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:37 pm
Starkiller1980 wrote:

Wonder why ? I mean they're just a band , like them or don't like them but most people seem to absolutely despise them.
Part of it is Gene's public persona that rubs people the wrong way, part of it is just finding a scapegoat I guess? Anyone who says KISS is overrated is being stupid, because generally people don't think very highly of them.

ZachAttack
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ZachAttack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:18 am

HOFCity wrote:
Starkiller1980 wrote:

A) Failed musicians who are jealous and have the mentality of "They're only famous because they wear makeup and costumes! I write better music than them, I should be more famous than they are! This isn't fair!"

B) The same mentality as above, but instead of a failed musician, they are mad that THEIR favorite band isn't as famous/recognized/well known/worshiped as KISS is. "I can't believe (insert band here) never made it while shit like KISS got popular! If they never wore those stupid costumes no one would care about them!"

C) Music snobs who think listening to Bob Dylan or Nirvana makes them superior to people who listen to KISS because "this music has meaning, not like that soulless crap like KISS who only sing about partying and sex....I listen to REAL music!"

Pete2174
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pete2174 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 am

Starkiller1980 wrote:
Even Kiss ‘fans’.

Octavarium
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Octavarium » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 am

Well, she probably means the songs and if thats the case I can totally understand her. Kiss just cant pick interesting setlists (Unplugged excluded) so without knowing in detail what was played 1990 and 2014 I can only assume that they played the same songs as they always play, and once again do on the EOTR-tour, meaning:

Deuce
Heavens on fire
Black Diamond
Shout it out loud
I was made for loving you
Hide your heart
Lick it up
God of thunder
Cold Gin
Hide your heart
I love it loud
Love Gun
Detroit rock City
Rock and roll all night

FlamingRuth
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by FlamingRuth » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 am

Pete2174 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 am
Starkiller1980 wrote:
Even Kiss ‘fans’.
It's true, isn't it?
Do "other people" have this love/hate relationship with their favorite performers?

Ikons

Post by Ikons » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:05 am

ZachAttack wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:18 am
HOFCity wrote:
Starkiller1980 wrote:

C) Music snobs who think listening to Bob Dylan or Nirvana makes them superior to people who listen to KISS because "this music has meaning, not like that soulless crap like KISS who only sing about partying and sex....I listen to REAL music!"
I've found that a lot of these people don't apply the same criticism to an artist like AC/DC.

Fartbone
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Fartbone » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:08 am

godofthunder1969 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 pm

a friend of mine posted this on FB today: "I feel like KISS is overrated.....There I said it." hey no problem, not everyone needs to like KISS. I replied with something like "we can still be friends".

I had to, of course, read through the ensuing replies and discussion. a bunch of people agreed with him and others supported the band. again, all good.

then I see this one girl say, "They were my first concert back in 1990, Hot In The Shade album. Saw them again in 2014. Exact.Same. Show." I was thinking, like, WHAT?! I responded to her with, "Haha you may not care for them but the two shows you saw couldn't have been any more different from one another lol!" she replied with "eh, aside from the Sphinx on the stage, not really".

she clearly remembered something with dropping the HITS title and the Leon reference so how could she say they were the Exact.Same. Show?! maybe she was drunk and passed out at the Leppard show, I dunno!
Maybe she got shit faced at both which was her meaning.

battra

Post by battra » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:15 am

Torpedo_Boy wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:36 am
The HitS tour was one of my favorites... and nothing like the 40 Year Anniversary tour. Way more songs in the former, including "I Stole Your Love," "Strutter,"
"I Want You", etc. different line-up, different stage, no-make up vs. make-up & costumes, Paul could sing, etc. etc. Taste is subjective, but I don't see how anyone could equate them as the same show.
Everyone on stage on the HITS show was a better musician than their 40th anniversary counterparts.

It wasn't even close.

godofthunder1969
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by godofthunder1969 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Octavarium wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 am
Well, she probably means the songs and if thats the case I can totally understand her. Kiss just cant pick interesting setlists (Unplugged excluded) so without knowing in detail what was played 1990 and 2014 I can only assume that they played the same songs as they always play, and once again do on the EOTR-tour, meaning:

Deuce
Heavens on fire
Black Diamond
Shout it out loud
I was made for loving you
Hide your heart
Lick it up
God of thunder
Cold Gin
Hide your heart
I love it loud
Love Gun
Detroit rock City
Rock and roll all night
You piqued my curiosity with the set lists so I checked setlist.fm. 10 of the 13 songs you named here appeared in both sets!

*common songs
6/30/90
22 songs
Meadowlands, NJ
I Stole Your Love
*Deuce
Heaven's on Fire
Crazy Crazy Nights
*Black Diamond
*Shout It Out Loud
Strutter
*Calling Dr. Love
I Was Made for Lovin' You
Rise to It
Fits Like a Glove
*Hide Your Heart
*Lick It Up
*God of Thunder
Forever
Cold Gin
Tears Are Falling
*I Love It Loud
*Love Gun
*Detroit Rock City
I Want You
*Rock and Roll All Nite

7/26/14
14 songs (with Def Leppard)
PNC, NJ
Psycho Circus
*Deuce
*Shout It Out Loud
War Machine
Hotter Than Hell
*I Love It Loud
*Lick It Up
*God of Thunder
*Hide Your Heart
*Calling Dr. Love
*Love Gun
*Black Diamond
*Detroit Rock City
*Rock and Roll All Nite

Starkiller1980
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Starkiller1980 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm

FlamingRuth wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 am
Pete2174 wrote:
Starkiller1980 wrote:
Even Kiss ‘fans’.
It's true, isn't it?
Do "other people" have this love/hate relationship with their favorite performers?
I don't like to talk about it much, but my other favorite band is Phish. Phish streams their concerts, so fans can bitch about the shows in real time. You've never seen hate like the Phish folks.

And if you think KISS gets a lot of hate, try mentioning that you like Phish in mixed company. People have very strong feelings, even though they've never heard the band. (No it don't have dread locks.)

FlamingRuth
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by FlamingRuth » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Starkiller1980 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm
FlamingRuth wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 am
Pete2174 wrote:
Starkiller1980 wrote:
Even Kiss ‘fans’.
It's true, isn't it?
I don't like to talk about it much, but my other favorite band is Phish. Phish streams their concerts, so fans can bitch about the shows in real time. You've never seen hate like the Phish folks.

And if you think KISS gets a lot of hate, try mentioning that you like Phish in mixed company. People have very strong feelings, even though they've never heard the band. (No it don't have dread locks.)
Thank you for answering my question. So it's not just "us". How strange that fans can love an artist so much and at the same time , be so brutal. I guess that's just passion. My other favorite artist is Alice Cooper and while some people only like his music before he became religious, I generally don't see fans lash out at him the way Kiss fans do.
By the way, you've made me curious about Phish .

Velvis
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Velvis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:48 pm

HOFCity wrote:
Starkiller1980 wrote:

I think they are an easy target with the makeup/costumes and the lack of a lot of mainstream hits. What attracts us to them is likely the same thing that turns others off. And in my opinion their biggest hit RARAN is pretty shitty as a song. It's great at the end of the show and the confetti, etc. but the song itself to me is dreadful. However it is possible I am just completely burned out on it.

LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 pm

godofthunder1969 wrote:

I get what she means. Same-ish setlist, bombs, smoke, fire. What is there really all that different besides a lighting rig that it more likely to sear your retinas and a few hundred feet of screens?

Velvis
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Velvis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Ikons wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:05 am
ZachAttack wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:18 am
HOFCity wrote:
Starkiller1980 wrote:

I've found that a lot of these people don't apply the same criticism to an artist like AC/DC.
Back and Black sold like 12 Million copies. Its one of the biggest selling albums of ALL time. Huge mainstream success. Those songs are way more in the collective psyche of the world. So even if your not a big fan of ACDC you know and probably like the hits. KISS never had the mainstream musical acceptance. So it makes sense that when coupled with the lack of huge hits and the easy turn off because of the look of the band for alot of people they would get more hate then an ACDC or GNR.

godofthunder1969
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by godofthunder1969 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:35 pm

LordThurisaz wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 pm
godofthunder1969 wrote:

I get what she means. Same-ish setlist, bombs, smoke, fire. What is there really all that different besides a lighting rig that it more likely to sear your retinas and a few hundred feet of screens?
well I guess the makeup vs. none is the big thing that comes to mind haha!

LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:59 pm

godofthunder1969 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:35 pm
well I guess the makeup vs. none is the big thing that comes to mind haha!
That is the main difference. I get what she means though.

FanbAce1978
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FanbAce1978 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:19 am

Of course I am not objective at all, but I consider KISS to be underrated more than overrated. But they themselves are responsible for this, I guess. Because of the makeup, the show, the merch, etc. They got some great songs, but hardly get any recognition for that.
I can relate with the person claiming their shows don't change a lot. Same setlist over and over. The visuals and players can change, but the core of the show is always the same.

Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:08 am

Here's a question I'd like to propose. Does KISS take the crown for being the most successful/least talented (musically) band of all time? Certainly there are countless other bands that have existed that are way shittier sounding than KISS who went nowhere and of course there are plenty of examples of bands that are better musicians and songwriters that are way bigger. However you would be hard pressed to find any other band, ever who sort of meet both criteria. I cannot think of another band to ever exist that possessed such a lack of musicianship/songwriting skill and achieved and (more importantly) maintained such a high level of success. KISS fits that niche like no other band I can think of.

I say all that to answer the OP's question. Why are KISS so actively hated? I think that's why. Because they are the least talented/ most successful band of all time who JUST wont go away. To some, that is incredibly irritating. It behooves them to understand how they manage to stick around despite, frankly, not being that good.

Tito
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Tito » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:09 am

Hi I'm Witz wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:08 am
despite, frankly, not being that good.
I gotta admit, I didn't have you down as a HATER. :lol:

nitrokiss
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by nitrokiss » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:14 am

I'd like to know how the Facebook poster remembered the show vividly enough from 1990 that, while they were at the 2014 show, they thought "this is the exact same show?"