"Monster" is a fine swan song

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: "Monster" is a fine swan song

Post by banks »

John Shaft wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:15 am I loved "Monster" when it first came out and I still love it to this day. It's easily in my Top-5 fave Kiss albums. Raw, loud, in your face, raunchy and never let's up. Everything that good rock 'n roll is supposed to be. Haters are always gonna hate but I feel they wrapped it all up with one of their best!
This could have been written by me, except for the "haters" comment. I'm sure there are people who quite genuinely hate it. A very good album IMO. Listened to it a couple of days ago in the car and was still blown away
Last edited by banks on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

kenn.ace wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 pm Monster is probably the 4th worst KISS album.

5. Sonic Boom
4. Monster
3. Asylum
2. Psycho Circus
1. The Elder
I presume you forgot about Hot In The Shade? :wink: I'll take Asylum and Sonic Boom over that any day.
Pete2174
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Pete2174 »

gshaller wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:07 pm I enjoyed it when it first came out and I still enjoy it!
This. Both SB & Monster still get regular spins.
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by UltraCynic »

TheFirst22Years wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 pm Monster is a terrible album. The last three studio albums are horrible. Psycho Circus, the song is, the only worthehile track these last 20+ years. There are better songs on Gene's and Paul's studio albums (Asshole and Live To Win).

The last OK KISS album is Carnival of Souls. The last great KISS album is Revenge. All of ocourse only my two cents.
Agreed 100%
fazelinear
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by fazelinear »

I LOVE MONSTER. I think its the best album they have done since "Lick it up". Yea, better than Revenge. Though I will admit the song "Unholy" is better than anything off Monster.
nfarend

Post by nfarend »

John Wick wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:28 pm
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 pm They never had a great album in them at that point.. Its not horrible; at least its not a total embarrassment.. Its as good a swansong as they were capable of at that point..
I disagree. A producer telling Paul and Gene that songs are not good enough and pushing the band to do better could result in a better album than the dreck that Monster is and sound better as well. Even Ezrin thought SB and Monster were terrible and that upset Paul.
Psycho Circus had an outside producer. Look what we've ended up with. I like the album for what it is but Ace and Peter needed to be more involved IMO.
I don't give a fuck what Bob Ezrin says. Although he should have been producing the last 3 KISS albums and although I like his work with KISS, especially on Destroyer and Revenge, ánd his work with Kansas and Deep Purple, I don't need him to tell me if SB and Monster are good or bad. Maybe if he was just addressing the sonics (mix and master), then I would agree. But even though I think the overall sound of both albums suck, I think they did a fine job. I like SB because of the 70s KISS vibe and I like Monster because it really kicks ass! I dig the songs, the playing and I think it's a fun album. Now, where's the remixed and remastered version?
andykiss4ever
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by andykiss4ever »

ReasonToLive87 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:42 pm I love some of the stuff on "Monster." Really dig "Long Way Down," "All For The Love of Rock and Roll" and "Freak." And "Last Chance" is absolutely killer. Fabulous song. It looks like it will indeed be the last KISS album, and I'm good with that. They went out with a strong record.

That is all.
Agreed, it's a valid album not a retread of old glories.
When I play it I sequence the tracks differently (see below) as from my point of view it enhances the flow
If Monster is to be their final studio album I'm happy with it.

Monster Resequenced:
1 Hell or Hallelujah 2 The Devil is Me 3 Outta This World 4 Long Way Down 5 Wall of Sound 6 Right Here Right Now
7 Eat Your Heart Out 8 Shout Mercy 9 Back to the Stone Age 10 All for the Love of Rock & Roll 11 Freak 12 Take Me Down Below 13 Last Chance
Last edited by andykiss4ever on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

Horrible album.
Tail of a hurricane
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Admin wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 pm A better bookend than PC would have been.
Agree. The albums far from perfect, but I thought there were some good songs. “Take me down below” has always been my fave. “Wall of sound” is awesome. “Outta this world” is great. Yes, the production wasn’t too good, but it wasn’t as bad as “Hot in the shade”.
TheFirst22Years
Banned

Post by TheFirst22Years »

UltraCynic wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:38 am
TheFirst22Years wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 pm Monster is a terrible album. The last three studio albums are horrible. Psycho Circus, the song is, the only worthehile track these last 20+ years. There are better songs on Gene's and Paul's studio albums (Asshole and Live To Win).

The last OK KISS album is Carnival of Souls. The last great KISS album is Revenge. All of ocourse only my two cents.
Agreed 100%
Yes, I believe that is true. Put COS next to the last three albums. COS wins by a landslide. Bruce is on fire. Put COS next to Revenge. Nuclear blast in Revenge's favor. Bruce is magical. That's basicly it, right?
battra
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by battra »

I like PC better than Monster, because I found Gene's songs on the 90's triumvirate of albums to be the strongest he'd done since 1974.

With Monster, I had some similar issues that I had with Sonic Boom...the biggest and most glaring are the songs Gene turned in. I don't like anything he did on those two albums, save the one song he sang with Paul.

Paul is Mr. Reliable. He's about a .400 hitter. He potted his 2 or 3 goodins and some fillers. The Eric and Tommy songs are just silly.

But Tommy's guitar work was much better on Monster rather than Sonic Boom.
I Am A FREAK

Post by I Am A FREAK »

I think it’s a horrible finale album, I save only Long Way Down, Shout Mercy and Last Chance
Mad Dog
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Mad Dog »

I agree, and the last good album before Revenge is Asylum, imo KISS released one great album in the last 33 years.
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

I Am A FREAK wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:04 am I think it’s a horrible finale album, I save only Long Way Down, Shout Mercy and Last Chance
Save Nothing
The album is crap
🍻
John Wick
Banned

Post by John Wick »

nfarend wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:48 am
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 pm They never had a great album in them at that point.. Its not horrible; at least its not a total embarrassment.. Its as good a swansong as they were capable of at that point..
I disagree. A producer telling Paul and Gene that songs are not good enough and pushing the band to do better could result in a better album than the dreck that Monster is and sound better as well. Even Ezrin thought SB and Monster were terrible and that upset Paul.
Psycho Circus had an outside producer. Look what we've ended up with. I like the album for what it is but Ace and Peter needed to be more involved IMO.
I don't give a fuck what Bob Ezrin says. Although he should have been producing the last 3 KISS albums and although I like his work with KISS, especially on Destroyer and Revenge, ánd his work with Kansas and Deep Purple, I don't need him to tell me if SB and Monster are good or bad. Maybe if he was just addressing the sonics (mix and master), then I would agree. But even though I think the overall sound of both albums suck, I think they did a fine job. I like SB because of the 70s KISS vibe and I like Monster because it really kicks ass! I dig the songs, the playing and I think it's a fun album. Now, where's the remixed and remastered version?
Like Crazy Nights, KISS had the wrong producer. It happens to every band at some point. Fairbairn was brought on board after Ezrin couldn't do it and he soon discovered that KISS was not like all the other bands that he has produced. He didn't get KISS and wasn't used to working such a band.

You don't have to give a fuck what Bob Ezrin says, but he's still right. Had he produced SB and Monster, they would be MUCH better sonically and with songwriting input/Ezrin co-writes.
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

ive always said, theres cool songs, but its completely unlistenable due to the mastering. if you find this album listenable then you are clearly either deaf, or we have truly lost the loudness wars and you all gave in, rolled over, and surrendered to the enemy.
KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

Hmmmm...Sonic Boom is the stronger album, and I think that would have been a great last album.

Although the lead track off Monster is f'ing awesome.

To end an album, I much prefer Say Yeah to Take Me Down Below....

Monster has some moments but the production ruins it for me, and I happen to think SB is the better album, all the way through.
gabbagabba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by gabbagabba »

Monster is a crappy version of Sonic Boom, its ugly twin.
I just like "Long way Down" and "Freak" (but not the lyrics).
And I have to say that Tommy's song is ok.
Probably the best song is the bonus track...go figure!
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

Tito wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:06 am
kenn.ace wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 pm Monster is probably the 4th worst KISS album.

5. Sonic Boom
4. Monster
3. Asylum
2. Psycho Circus
1. The Elder
I presume you forgot about Hot In The Shade? :wink: I'll take Asylum and Sonic Boom over that any day.
Hot In The Shade is No. 6. Carnival Of Souls is No. 7
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

The bonus track "Right Here Right Now" is pretty cool. The album is not an embarrassment and well done but even Carnival of Souls sounds more like a KISS album to me now. Monster sounds like a therapist wrote the lyrics.
Much Too Soon

Post by Much Too Soon »

6.5 of 10 for me. Wish they’d have quit trying to make an album that “sounds like” something... and just rock out.
battra

Post by battra »

Much Too Soon wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:46 pm 6.5 of 10 for me. Wish they’d have quit trying to make an album that “sounds like” something... and just rock out.
That was my issue with the last two albums as well.

Write what you feel, man.
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

missingdiver wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:27 pm Someday years from now Monster will be regarded as a great album....i like it now!
Songs are more creative and cooler than sonic boom.

Back to the stone age is classic Gene! Long way down could have been on hotter than hell or dressed to kill...tommy and erics songs rock too! Its a great Kiss album...not sure what fans who dont like it would want from Kiss..?
Agreed.
nfarend

Post by nfarend »

John Wick wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:42 am
Like Crazy Nights, KISS had the wrong producer. It happens to every band at some point. Fairbairn was brought on board after Ezrin couldn't do it and he soon discovered that KISS was not like all the other bands that he has produced. He didn't get KISS and wasn't used to working such a band.

You don't have to give a fuck what Bob Ezrin says, but he's still right. Had he produced SB and Monster, they would be MUCH better sonically and with songwriting input/Ezrin co-writes.
Although I dig Ezrin's co-writing most of the time, IMO that's not what SB and Monster are in need of. The songs are there. I like 'em, on both albums. It's the mixing and the mastering, so basically the sonics that need improvement.
John Wick
Banned

Post by John Wick »

nfarend wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:06 pm
John Wick wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:42 am

Although I dig Ezrin's co-writing most of the time, IMO that's not what SB and Monster are in need of. The songs are there. I like 'em, on both albums. It's the mixing and the mastering, so basically the sonics that need improvement.
I guess we have to agree to disagree. I think the songs are half baked or just terrible. I mean - Danger Me, Danger You, Danger Us? Get the fuck out of here.
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

I like the songs on Monster, it's the brickwalled sound I could live without
Four-Who-Are-One

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

Gene said it was their best since Destroyer!
TRIOdevil
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TRIOdevil »

chupathingy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 pm
ReasonToLive87 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:42 pm I love some of the stuff on "Monster." Really dig "Long Way Down," "All For The Love of Rock and Roll" and "Freak." And "Last Chance" is absolutely killer. Fabulous song. It looks like it will indeed be the last KISS album, and I'm good with that. They went out with a strong record.

That is all.
I agree with most of this. The production and mastering really hurt what would have been a good release.
Agreed. I think Monster is a far stronger album than Crazy Nights. I think it's far from the worst album in the band's career.
I Am A FREAK

Post by I Am A FREAK »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:23 pm Gene said it was their best since Destroyer!
:shock:
His Majesty
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by His Majesty »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:23 pm Gene said it was their best since Destroyer!
One thing about KISS that is indisputable. Their bullshit is consistent.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

KISSTRONAUT wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 pm Solid album. I can easily live with it being the last proper studio album.
Some really good songs on Monster 8)
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Let’s see. Which album has the better songs? PC. Which has the better vocals? PC. Which features performances by the original 4? PC. Which has the better cover? PC.

Monster literally has no merits whatsoever.

Don’t get the hate for PC. Yeah it wasn’t all the original lineup, but niether was COTN and people cream their pants about that album.
Hi I'm Witz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Under The Rose wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm
Let’s see. Which album has the better songs? PC. Which has the better vocals? PC. Which features performances by the original 4? PC. Which has the better cover? PC.

Monster literally has no merits whatsoever.

Don’t get the hate for PC. Yeah it wasn’t all the original lineup, but niether was COTN and people cream their pants about that album.
You know, I found a vinyl copy of Psycho Circus at Barnes and Noble the other day. While I thought the lenticular cover was cool on CD back in the day, seeing it on a full sized LP I was blown away! It really is a badass cover in full size!

Look the album has warts, no question! But it also has some real gems! Sonically it completely destroys Monster! I just wish Peter had a better song to sing and some of the tracks that didnt make the final cut were included. I made a custom version of PC where I mixed the setlist up and added and took away some songs. Here's what my version looks like..

Side 1:

1. Psycho Circus
2. Sweet And Dirty Love (Demo)
3. Into the Void
4. I Pledge Allegiance...
5. Within

Side 2.

6. Its My Life
7. You Wanted The Best
8. In Your Face
9. Dreamin'
10. Journey of 1000 Years
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

I dug "Monster". I liked it just as much as I dug "SB".

Just wasn't crazy about the production.
sagedrummer
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sagedrummer »

Monster and to a lesser degree Sonic Boom IMHO are horrible records. Possibly the worst rock records a band on their level have put out. Their area few passable songs but I can’t even get through a few songs.
alexmai

Post by alexmai »

fazelinear wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 am I LOVE MONSTER. I think its the best album they have done since "Lick it up". Yea, better than Revenge. Though I will admit the song "Unholy" is better than anything off Monster.
This. And LIU got at least 3 fillers in it, Monster got 0.
alexmai

Post by alexmai »

TheFirst22Years wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:28 am

Agreed 100%
Yes, I believe that is true. Put COS next to the last three albums. COS wins by a landslide. Bruce is on fire. Put COS next to Revenge. Nuclear blast in Revenge's favor. Bruce is magical. That's basicly it, right?
In my opinion, COS is way better than Revenge, songwise.
alexmai

Post by alexmai »

KissKing73 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:55 am To end an album, I much prefer Say Yeah to Take Me Down Below....
Monster ends with Last chance... that is a great ending.
alexmai

Post by alexmai »

Songwise (about writing and not about producing) it probably is.
With a great producer, considering that the worst (of 13) song off M is better than the worst (of 9) song off D, probably Gene was wrong ;)
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

alexmai wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:36 am
Opinions are like... that; to each their own, etc. But wow! Just WOW!! :shock:
alexmai

Post by alexmai »

Tito wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:41 am
Take the songs off Monster.
Get them for their songwriting, not their production, sound and mixing. So you can imagine those songs worked by Kramer or Ezrin.
Rate them and choose the worst one, or also worse two.
Confront them with the worst song off every Kiss album.
The Monster's worse 2 songs are better than at least the worst song, maybe two worse songs, off every Kiss album.
Yes or no? :)
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

alexmai wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:44 am
Tito wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:41 am
Take the songs off Monster.
Get them for their songwriting, not their production, sound and mixing. So you can imagine those songs worked by Kramer or Ezrin.
Rate them and choose the worst one, or also worse two.
Confront them with the worst song off every Kiss album.
The Monster's worse 2 songs are better than at least the worst song, maybe two worse songs, off every Kiss album.
Yes or no? :)
Could well be, but my criteria for rating albums is a bit wider than which one's worst songs are less bad. :wink:
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

And even then, no. While that's a funny way to look at it, the two worst songs from COTN are not worse than anything off Monster.
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

alexmai wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:32 am

Agreed 100%
Yep
Revenge has to be the most overrated album with the Kiss Army
alexmai

Post by alexmai »

Tito wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:04 am And even then, no. While that's a funny way to look at it, the two worst songs from COTN are not worse than anything off Monster.
Remember that COTN has 9 songs vs 13 (so probably you should compare the best 9 of Monster)... and then, Keep me comin and RNR hell in my list are at least par to the worse Monster's songs.
KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

alexmai wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:34 am
KissKing73 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:55 am To end an album, I much prefer Say Yeah to Take Me Down Below....
Sorry you are correct, but still prefer Say Yeah....Last Chance is probably one of my least fave tracks on that album.
alexmai

Post by alexmai »

KissKing73 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:35 am
Sorry you are correct, but still prefer Say Yeah....Last Chance is probably one of my least fave tracks on that album.
You can vote on the Poll in this forum about it ;)
KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

alexmai wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:38 am
KissKing73 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:35 am
You can vote on the Poll in this forum about it ;)
I shall! :)
TheFirst22Years
Banned

Post by TheFirst22Years »

alexmai wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:32 am

Agreed 100%
Good for you even though I don't agree. But at least someone else here, like me, likes Carnival of Souls.
woodworm001

Post by woodworm001 »

I like Monster though I do agree about Paul's production. Saying that they had a strong producer for Psycho Circus and it didn't improve the songs much, aside from the title track I'd take both SB and Monster over it.