Why Bruce Kulick slammed Vinnie Vincent (1995)

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Lofton23rdSt
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Why Bruce Kulick slammed Vinnie Vincent (1995)

Post by Lofton23rdSt » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:37 pm

elleneff
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Why Bruce Kulick slammed Vinnie Vincent (1995)

Post by elleneff » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:27 am

Lofton23rdSt wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:37 pm
https://youtu.be/yg8jMLF0SUk
Because Vinnie is a scamming lying deceitful POS?

Kloetenburger
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Kloetenburger » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:47 am

It means something when even Bruce slams that guy.

ludzil

Post by ludzil » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:52 am

Kloetenburger wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:47 am
When someone of Bruce’s personality says something publicly like such, it speaks volumes on the individuals’ character he’s commenting on.

Pete2174
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pete2174 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 am

Let’s not forget that Vinnie also thought he was going to be involved in the reunion tour too.

As for the thread topic. Agreed. If Bruce is calling you out then you’re pretty much fucked, given how respectful he usually is.

Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 am

I'm a big Vinnie fan and a big Bruce fan, but I tell you, in hindsight maybe, but Bruce's comments are so very cutting simply because they come from him. I agree with the comments above... if Bruce is calling you out or standing his ground you're a piece of shit. I don't think I've ever heard or read Bruce dissing anybody else, ever. Class act.

ZachAttack
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ZachAttack » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 am

I thought Bruce overreacted here. Vinnie never claimed he wrote the solo, he said they all did it as a team. I don't see what the big deal is.

elleneff

Post by elleneff » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:28 am

ZachAttack wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 am
I thought Bruce overreacted here. Vinnie never claimed he wrote the solo, he said they all did it as a team. I don't see what the big deal is.
I take your point. I could only take a guess that via Gene and Esp Paul, he heard ALL about Vinnies form and all the stories re his penchant of taking credit and songs etc....

70skid

Post by 70skid » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:37 am

With all the accumulated facts we have now about VV post-Atlanta, an objective person would have to view Bruce’s comments as telling.

ZachAttack
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ZachAttack » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:51 am

elleneff wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:28 am
ZachAttack wrote:
I take your point. I could only take a guess that via Gene and Esp Paul, he heard ALL about Vinnies form and all the stories re his penchant of taking credit and songs etc....
I've never heard any accusations of Vinnie taking credit for something he didn't do. Gene was the one who would take a song someone else already wrote, change one line, then claim he wrote it himself. Funny how Bruce doesn't have a problem with it when Gene does it.

Lofton23rdSt
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Lofton23rdSt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:18 am

I remember this became a rumor on the internet during the nineties. This is where it came from.

metalfuel
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by metalfuel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:32 am

Kloetenburger wrote:
One of the first times I hear Bruce slaming somebody like that, says it all. Don't let him steal your thunder Bruce!

Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:33 am

Hmmm, I might be wrong but after watching the video twice, I kinda agree with Zach.

The truth is, I really don't think Vinnie tried to take credit for the solo when he spoke but rather the bulk of the song, outside the solo.

Whether Bruce saw the footage himself or was told about it by someone else, I don't know, but honestly ?

His reaction was a tad over-the-top.

Also...
ZachAttack wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:51 am
Gene was the one who would take a song someone else already wrote, change one line, then claim he wrote it himself. Funny how Bruce doesn't have a problem with it when Gene does it.
Nailed it.

Doose
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Doose » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Gene flatout stole the lick for "Domino" from Black N Blue ("Nasty Nasty") too. Didn't hear too many people complain about that, including Bruce.

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HXGzYTPZwg

Jampottt
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Jampottt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Doose wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 pm
Gene flatout stole the lick for "Domino" from Black N Blue ("Nasty Nasty") too. Didn't hear too many people complain about that, including Bruce.

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HXGzYTPZwg
From what I remember, Gene had a co-write on that song on the BNB album. I wonder if his co-write was the riff, hence its recycling without a songwriting credit on Revenge.

Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:09 pm

ZachAttack wrote:
elleneff wrote:
ZachAttack wrote:
I've never heard any accusations of Vinnie taking credit for something he didn't do. Gene was the one who would take a song someone else already wrote, change one line, then claim he wrote it himself. Funny how Bruce doesn't have a problem with it when Gene does it.
Yes, Vinnie is a very modest man in my opinion, very humble too.

Kisscandinavia
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kisscandinavia » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:27 pm

Because nobody cared about Bruce in the 90's. Now he is a hero, but in the 80's and 90's he was just the 4th lead guitarist in a row.
It is funny how Kiss fans seem to change their mind about their favorite members.
For example Peter had always been the least favorite of the original 4, but now he suddenly seems to be a fan favorite (Maybe because he is the only one who has been quiet lately)

elleneff

Post by elleneff » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:06 am

ZachAttack wrote:
elleneff wrote:
ZachAttack wrote:
Oh I get you. Totally.
Genes was his employer I guess. and Vinnie? WEll he had.....history and I doubt Pauls stories to Bruce re him were in any way kind.
and Yes, Gene flat out.... Ill use the words, "appropriated" or "acquired" the full rights to nasty nasty so he could adapt and take full publishing. Thats is clear.

Off topic here slightly but in hindsight, when I look back and read the Revenge era interviews from Kerrang or metal Hammer and Genes comments that he had to step up his writing as he had been writing "horrible songs" (which are funnily enough now comprising his Vault.lol) and well, (subjective opinion here based on genes history)
Vinnie likely wrote most of Unholy. The bridge sounds like Gene.
Black and Blue wrote Domino as Nasty Nasty
Scott Van Zen brought the music of Spit to the table.
Kane Roberts brought in Take it off.
Ballard of course wrote God gave.
Vincent brought in Heart of Chrome
Jesse Damon brought in the music of Thou Shalt not.

So the ONLY track on Revenge I can see Gene actually brought in which Ezrin shaped was Paralysed......

So NOW, when people say Gene stepped up for Revenge , I think, But did he really?

elleneff

Post by elleneff » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 am

Kisscandinavia wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:27 pm
Because nobody cared about Bruce in the 90's. Now he is a hero, but in the 80's and 90's he was just the 4th lead guitarist in a row.
It is funny how Kiss fans seem to change their mind about their favorite members.
For example Peter had always been the least favorite of the original 4, but now he suddenly seems to be a fan favorite (Maybe because he is the only one who has been quiet lately)
Untrue. I cared about Bruce in the 80s and 90s. and still do.
Bruce was then as now, my favourite guitarist, musician and person in Kiss. A guitar geek.

Peter? well time changes a lot of things. and as Kiss members have flung crap at each other, slated, slagged , while Ace attempts to convince them he wants back in (for the fans), Peter has just kept away from it all for quite a while. Head high. Doesn't care. Hes done with them. Hes living a happy life. He wouldnt be happy back with that shit and even as a fan, I wouldn't wish to inflict that on him.
Ace is.....well, I have the footage and records he did in the 70s when he was truly great. Ace now? Im glad hes alive and healthy but his playing and records now do little for me.
The Kiss position will change once this tour and line up are done. and licencees only wish to use the 70s era imagery and line up for vintage merch. Kiss may own the make up to the cat, but do they own the rights to the name and image of Peter Criss? Valid question.

stutterer
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by stutterer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:55 am

ZachAttack wrote:
Gene was the one who would take a song someone else already wrote, change one line, then claim he wrote it himself. Funny how Bruce doesn't have a problem with it when Gene does it.
This time it hit home because it was not his boss but another sideman who Bruce still might've seen as a threat to his position in Kiss even though it was Vinnie the notorious.

bassmansteiny
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bassmansteiny » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:09 am

Where's Drago? wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 am
I'm a big Vinnie fan and a big Bruce fan, but I tell you, in hindsight maybe, but Bruce's comments are so very cutting simply because they come from him. I agree with the comments above... if Bruce is calling you out or standing his ground you're a piece of shit. I don't think I've ever heard or read Bruce dissing anybody else, ever. Class act.
You are absolutely correct Drago!

Bruce doesn't talk shit about people so for him to say this, well I think Bruce was in the right. He gave him credit for writing the song but called him out on the solo. Good for Bruce! Plus when Bruce says something, I tend to believe him over Vinnie, even Gene and Paul for that matter.

bassmansteiny
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bassmansteiny » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:51 am

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:33 am
Hmmm, I might be wrong but after watching the video twice, I kinda agree with Zach.

The truth is, I really don't think Vinnie tried to take credit for the solo when he spoke but rather the bulk of the song, outside the solo.

Whether Bruce saw the footage himself or was told about it by someone else, I don't know, but honestly ?

His reaction was a tad over-the-top.

Also...
ZachAttack wrote:
Nailed it.
Maybe I need to watch the video again. 🙂

I don't think Bruce's comments are over the top if he thought Vinnie took credit for the solo. Maybe someone did tell him Vinnie took credit. I could see that upsetting him. If you created something, solo in Bruce's case, and you think/believe someone is taking credit for your hard work it would upset you. Between the title and watching the video this morning before work that is the way I took it that Vinnie was taking credit but I will go back and watch it after work tonight. I just have a tendency to take Bruce at his word because I never hear him talk shit about anyone, at least not in public. I generally take his word even over Gene and Paul when it comes to his years in the band.

bassmansteiny
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by bassmansteiny » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:54 am

Kisscandinavia wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:27 pm
I cared and a lot of other KISS fans who grew up in his era of the band. When I discovered the band he was the lead guitarist, when I was in highs school he was the lead guitarist and Bruce was my favorite KISS lead guitarist. I like and respect Ace a ton, he is the original, but Bruce is from my era of the band. 🙂

redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:38 am

ZachAttack wrote:
As much as it may pain me to say it, I'd have to go with Vinnie here, and I'll tell why. While he may have repeated the question of whether he wrote the solo, he doesn't actually seem to answer THAT question, he kind of avoids it and answers about the song itself. He said it was a "team effort" on "that" and he talks about lyrics, I'm guessing the "that" means the song itself, not the solo. After all, how many "team efforts" have there been on Kiss solos? Sounds like he wasn't dissing Bruce, just maybe not giving Bruce props for the actual solo and instead, speaks about the song.

savage_dreams
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by savage_dreams » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:04 am

ZachAttack wrote:
i dont know about overreacted, but dont forget when this was. video wasnt being shared via youtube back then, so who knows how it was told to bruce at the time and how many people the story had gone through before getting to him.

regardless.... even saying they came up with the solo as a team sounds like a big stretch to me.

ZachAttack
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ZachAttack » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:07 am

savage_dreams wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:04 am
ZachAttack wrote:
i dont know about overreacted, but dont forget when this was. video wasnt being shared via youtube back then, so who knows how it was told to bruce at the time and how many people the story had gone through before getting to him.

regardless.... even saying they came up with the solo as a team sounds like a big stretch to me.
I think Bruce actually saw the video because he quotes Vinnie almost verbatim

WinnieWincent
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by WinnieWincent » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:59 am

ludzil wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:52 am
Kloetenburger wrote:
When someone of Bruce’s personality says something publicly like such, it speaks volumes on the individuals’ character he’s commenting on.

Exactly. Wasn't Bruce the only person Paul didn't speak ill of in his book?

doombies
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by doombies » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm

WinnieWincent wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:59 am
ludzil wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:52 am
Kloetenburger wrote:

Exactly. Wasn't Bruce the only person Paul didn't speak ill of in his book?
Yes, and did anyone notice that Vinnie was hesitant to answer the question on if he wrote the solo?

LadySpace84
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by LadySpace84 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Vinnie Vincent IMO is bat shit crazy... but I gotta say I didn't come away from watching that clip thinking Vinnie took credit for the solo at all... he gave credit it seemed to everyone.

CHRIS ARMY

Post by CHRIS ARMY » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 pm

I was at this Nashville convention. Such a fun day!