Paul Stanley - Who I Am

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Post Reply
User avatar
Deuce1231
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Deuce1231 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:08 am


User avatar
metaldad
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9840
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: Rockin in the USA

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by metaldad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Who he is now ?
A thin skinned person that is doing more harm than good
for His/ Kiss legacy

User avatar
Crown Royal
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8634
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Crown Royal » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:00 pm

The first time Paul was hit over the head with the power of music was by Beethoven when he was five?

I don't remember reading that in his book. Not saying it's not in there, I just don't remember. That's quite interesting.

And not to be picky, Paul or the Forbes editor, but it's "gob-smacked", not "god-smacked" :o

User avatar
Kissologist
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10964
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:35 am

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Kissologist » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Interesting.
I think he tries to validate much his recent painting hobby, but who's to say he didn't feel that about Picasso at such young age.

User avatar
soeuropean
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Posts: 1972
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:34 am

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by soeuropean » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:41 pm

God he’s a pretentious twit.

Yeah he was into Picasso aged six, whatever.

No mention of his first wig or first new chin implant.

User avatar
Bruce
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Posts: 1147
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Bruce » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Many of Picasso's cubist works could easily appeal to a child, though.
They appear to break the established "rules" of art, common sense ideas,
such as using anatomy and perspective. They're even kind of amusing,
in that they're seemingly primitive ... even childlike.

Image

That's not to say little Stanley understood Cubism, but I can understand
how he'd be drawn to it. Paul Stanley wasn't always so pretentious, though.
And it's hard to say when that started. Possibly when he & Gene started to
score big name entertainers in Hollywood, like Cher and Donna Dixon.

User avatar
LoveGun77
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5495
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago,IL

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by LoveGun77 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Calling those songs "disposable"....from the guy who wrote "(You make me) Rock Hard" and "Let's Put the X in Sex" :roll:

User avatar
ChaimWitz1949
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:00 am

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by ChaimWitz1949 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:15 pm

soeuropean wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:41 pm
God he’s a pretentious twit.

Yeah he was into Picasso aged six, whatever.

No mention of his first wig or first new chin implant.
God do I love a good wig post!

User avatar
star_paul12
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: Under Paul's 2001 wig

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by star_paul12 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 pm

I’m not gonna outright write Paul’s claims off as falsehoods. But I will say that the shifts he’s made over the years, in relation to what and who he makes a concerted effort to associate himself with, is telling. Paul Stanley of the past—when he was seeking credibility as both a musician and a cofounder of kids—always positioned himself as this sort of rebel, rock n roll-affiliated kinda guy. The pictures he painted of his upbringing were often defined by a sense of rebelliousness and whatnot. Certainly no mentioning of the likes of Mozart, Chopin, etc etc (for the most part).

As he’s reached older age he’s consistently positioned both himself and the band alongside more credible/critically praised artists. When referencing himself he has, for the last several years, made sure to mention things typically associated with “high art” and culture—something that he and the band initially rallied against.

I think it all sort of all but confirms a deeply profound sense of insecurity that’s always haunted him. The need to fit in. The need to be appreciated, to be celebrated. I also attribute his increasingly hostile and bitter demeanor to this as well. It’s certainly not my place to psychoanalyze the man, but as a member of the viewing public,I can’t help but notice an ongoing theme for his behavior and words.

User avatar
drgbootz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8767
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:22 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by drgbootz » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:09 pm

I’m not sure who the real Paul is, I’m guessing we’ll never know...

User avatar
Sam T Serpent
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4955
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Sam T Serpent » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:53 pm

I say it’s totally possible to gravitate towards people like Picasso or Beethoven etc, at a young age... look at the many of thousand Dynasty/Unmasked era kids that site Paul or KISS as an influence because of the music or their imagery. Don’t forget he grew up in the 50s/60s.

User avatar
soeuropean
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Posts: 1972
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:34 am

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by soeuropean » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 pm

According to the PR he did for Ahh Soul Station he was too busy being influenced by Motown and RnB to have time to be influenced by Chopin and Beethoven.

If he's talking to Guitar World it will be that he was influenced by Chuck Berry and The Stones.

When it's Culinary World it'll be he was influenced by broccolli jus and artisan pizzas.

Points for him keeping his stories straight for the respective publications I guess.

John Henneberfer
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2915
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:13 am

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by John Henneberfer » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm

LoveGun77 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:03 pm
Calling those songs "disposable"....from the guy who wrote "(You make me) Rock Hard" and "Let's Put the X in Sex" :roll:
He's called cheesy songs of his disposable art before.

User avatar
Ratmir
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4536
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:23 am
Location: Uralsk, KZ

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Ratmir » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:57 pm

soeuropean wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 pm
According to the PR he did for Ahh Soul Station he was too busy being influenced by Motown and RnB to have time to be influenced by Chopin and Beethoven.

If he's talking to Guitar World it will be that he was influenced by Chuck Berry and The Stones.

When it's Culinary World it'll be he was influenced by broccolli jus and artisan pizzas.

Points for him keeping his stories straight for the respective publications I guess.
And you can only like one thing list life.

User avatar
Stanley! You look so cute
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:45 pm

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Stanley! You look so cute » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:29 am

He forgot to mention The Strawbs.

User avatar
soeuropean
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Posts: 1972
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:34 am

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by soeuropean » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:33 am

Ratmir wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:57 pm
soeuropean wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Points for him keeping his stories straight for the respective publications I guess.
And you can only like one thing list life.
Liszt? No he didn’t cite him as an influence.

User avatar
Supertrooper
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Supertrooper » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:00 am

Crown Royal wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:00 pm
The first time Paul was hit over the head with the power of music was by Beethoven when he was five?

I don't remember reading that in his book. Not saying it's not in there, I just don't remember. That's quite interesting.

And not to be picky, Paul or the Forbes editor, but it's "gob-smacked", not "god-smacked" :o
That the music of Beethoven made an impact on the very young Paul Stanley, I read in 1985 in the Swedish book "Shout it out loud". I think I have read it elsewhere too, but not sure if it was in "face the music" or not.

User avatar
Supertrooper
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Supertrooper » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:07 am

Sam T Serpent wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:53 pm
I say it’s totally possible to gravitate towards people like Picasso or Beethoven etc, at a young age... look at the many of thousand Dynasty/Unmasked era kids that site Paul or KISS as an influence because of the music or their imagery. Don’t forget he grew up in the 50s/60s.
Good reply. He lived in different times.
And anyway, there's proof that Paul has been cited that he listened to Beethoven as a kid, form at least 1985.

User avatar
richardsimmons
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:01 pm
Location: While The City Sleeps, California

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by richardsimmons » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:38 am

Star_paul12 very interesting perspective.

This interview bored me.

User avatar
Deuce1231
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Deuce1231 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:18 am

star_paul12 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 pm
I’m not gonna outright write Paul’s claims off as falsehoods. But I will say that the shifts he’s made over the years, in relation to what and who he makes a concerted effort to associate himself with, is telling. Paul Stanley of the past—when he was seeking credibility as both a musician and a cofounder of kids—always positioned himself as this sort of rebel, rock n roll-affiliated kinda guy. The pictures he painted of his upbringing were often defined by a sense of rebelliousness and whatnot. Certainly no mentioning of the likes of Mozart, Chopin, etc etc (for the most part).

As he’s reached older age he’s consistently positioned both himself and the band alongside more credible/critically praised artists. When referencing himself he has, for the last several years, made sure to mention things typically associated with “high art” and culture—something that he and the band initially rallied against.

I think it all sort of all but confirms a deeply profound sense of insecurity that’s always haunted him. The need to fit in. The need to be appreciated, to be celebrated. I also attribute his increasingly hostile and bitter demeanor to this as well. It’s certainly not my place to psychoanalyze the man, but as a member of the viewing public,I can’t help but notice an ongoing theme for his behavior and words.
Paul had, on multiple occasions, stated classical music was played in his home as a child. To the point that he said when he first saw a live performance, he was disappointed because it wasn't loud enough, in that apparently his cousin played it at a higher decibel level than required. Of course he was never specific on who or what, but it was known in the 80's. As I see it, it has unfolded into a situation now where there is no longer a need to hide behind a facade of fabricated reality.

User avatar
Mr D
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:14 pm
Location: StL

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Mr D » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:47 pm

I really have no use for Paul's, or Gene's personal life or opinions at this point. I wish they would just stay out of sight until they have something band related to talk about.

User avatar
stutterer
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by stutterer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:02 pm

LoveGun77 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:03 pm
Calling those songs "disposable"....from the guy who wrote "(You make me) Rock Hard" and "Let's Put the X in Sex" :roll:
Those songs are excellent disposable songs.

User avatar
Bruce
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Posts: 1147
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Bruce » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:10 pm

And I LOVE it ... two sides of the coin to choose from!


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNKJ4SPj_Rw


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQj1LuY5b8M

User avatar
BeholderFan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:09 pm

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by BeholderFan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Supertrooper wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:00 am
Crown Royal wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:00 pm
The first time Paul was hit over the head with the power of music was by Beethoven when he was five?

I don't remember reading that in his book. Not saying it's not in there, I just don't remember. That's quite interesting.

And not to be picky, Paul or the Forbes editor, but it's "gob-smacked", not "god-smacked" :o
That the music of Beethoven made an impact on the very young Paul Stanley, I read in 1985 in the Swedish book "Shout it out loud". I think I have read it elsewhere too, but not sure if it was in "face the music" or not.
Yes. He does mention Beethoven in the book as an influence. He also mentions listening to NY area opera station WQXR every Saturday.

User avatar
redinthesky
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 23318
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by redinthesky » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 pm

As soon as I saw the word "Picasso" I thought, "ohhh boy"

User avatar
Crown Royal
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8634
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Crown Royal » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:38 pm

BeholderFan wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:43 pm
Supertrooper wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:00 am
Crown Royal wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:00 pm
The first time Paul was hit over the head with the power of music was by Beethoven when he was five?

I don't remember reading that in his book. Not saying it's not in there, I just don't remember. That's quite interesting.

And not to be picky, Paul or the Forbes editor, but it's "gob-smacked", not "god-smacked" :o
That the music of Beethoven made an impact on the very young Paul Stanley, I read in 1985 in the Swedish book "Shout it out loud". I think I have read it elsewhere too, but not sure if it was in "face the music" or not.
Yes. He does mention Beethoven in the book as an influence. He also mentions listening to NY area opera station WQXR every Saturday.
My bad

I must have been focusing on how he marinated his broccoli

User avatar
Crown Royal
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8634
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Crown Royal » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:39 pm

thanks, though, read the book a while ago and missed that

User avatar
Supertrooper
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 858
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Supertrooper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:40 am

Well I was 11 or 12 when I read that book "shout it out loud", and KISS were my BIG heros, so I think I absorbed pretty much all of it. Couldn't come closer to having a "holy" book.
Reading "Face the music" as an 40 something though, is something else.....I can't remember reading about food. Really? He marinates his own broccoli? C'mon! Is that true? I am not saying that Paul, but....ect ;-)

User avatar
Fartbone
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 14026
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles Rules!!!

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by Fartbone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I heard Beethoven and immediately penned X in Sex

User avatar
His Majesty
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 14427
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:13 am
Location: Just over there

Re: Paul Stanley - Who I Am

Post by His Majesty » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Fartbone wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:26 pm
I heard Beethoven and immediately penned X in Sex
:lol:

Read Mah Ludwig! Are the letters big enough?

Post Reply