Eric Carr's medical bills in 1990/1991

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: Eric Carr's medical bills in 1990/1991

Post by battra » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 am

Klankh79 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:57 am
well, then i wonder about the bad experiences i've read about.

look, im not stupid, man....im discerning in my absorption of this stuff. i can tell the difference between a reasoned response to an issue and some pissed off fired up goon trying to make hay for whatever reason.

i've read some accounts of socialized healthcare not being all its cracked up to be. statistics can lie just as easily as people. i like to absorb it all.
Canada spends less and their people live longer.

Less per person per capita.

I've seen reports that a Canadian style system would cost us less than what we already pay now. Hell, the Koch brothers put out a report showing it'd save us money.

We'd save money and put human life as a priority.

Klankh79
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Klankh79 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 am

well, cool! like i said above, im down for improving healthcare. i just dont trust the voices pushing for it the loudest, any more than i trust Vinnie is going to "shred" at his christmas pageant later this year :D

battra

Post by battra » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:26 am

Klankh79 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 am
well, cool! like i said above, im down for improving healthcare. i just dont trust the voices pushing for it the loudest, any more than i trust Vinnie is going to "shred" at his christmas pageant later this year :D
Vinnie is gonna shred like a mother fucker this Christmas.

It might be like this though.....

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 am

Klankh79 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 am
you guys crack me up. yes, i trust the people a lot more than i trust the press and politicians these days. absolutely. if a citizen of Canada tells some horrific tale of healthcare gone wrong, i have no reason not to take their words at face value.
As a Canadian, I can say that most of the "horror stories" a very few and far between and that overall - Canada's healthcare is fantastic.

Are there wait times? Yes, but it's mainly in parts of Canada with a smaller population and limited amount of doctors and resources.

I personally haven't had to wait long for an MRI, etc. as I live in a big city and I have received excellent healthcare with the added bonus of walking out of there without getting a bill. I wouldn't want things to change at all for an American like system.

It is just unacceptable and disgusting quite frankly that anyone should have to go bankrupt due to medical costs. I know Americans who won't even go to the doctor when they are sick, because due to life's expenses, they can't afford a few hundred dollars to get checked out. In some cases, the problem gets worse because Americans can't even afford to go to their family doctor to get checked out.

That's just wrong on any level.

I can call my family doctor today, see him tomorrow, find out what the problem is and it doesn't cost me a dime. I was born into our system, so it's all I have known regarding paying more in taxes for "free" healthcare, but I am absolutely fine with that because I can't complain at all at the quality of healthcare provided in Canada.

Klankh79

Post by Klankh79 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 am

im sure it'll be awkward, and stilted, and uncomfortable thru and thru lol....except for those who want to cry with him in a corner over the beauty of it all.

well, it's clear that you're a bleeder and im a deplorable, but im glad we're still pals :cheers:

Klankh79

Post by Klankh79 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:38 am

Silver Lights wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 am
Klankh79 wrote:
you guys crack me up. yes, i trust the people a lot more than i trust the press and politicians these days. absolutely. if a citizen of Canada tells some horrific tale of healthcare gone wrong, i have no reason not to take their words at face value.
As a Canadian, I can say that most of the "horror stories" a very few and far between and that overall - Canada's healthcare is fantastic.

Are there wait times? Yes, but it's mainly in parts of Canada with a smaller population and limited amount of doctors and resources.

I personally haven't had to wait long for an MRI, etc. as I live in a big city and I have received excellent healthcare with the added bonus of walking out of there without getting a bill. I wouldn't want things to change at all for an American like system.

It is just unacceptable and disgusting quite frankly that anyone should have to go bankrupt due to medical costs. I know Americans who won't even go to the doctor when they are sick, because due to life's expenses, they can't afford a few hundred dollars to get checked out. In some cases, the problem gets worse because Americans can't even afford to go to their family doctor to get checked out.

I can call my family doctor today, see him tomorrow, find out what the problem is and it doesn't cost me a dime. I was born into our system, so it's all I have known regarding paying more in taxes for "free" healthcare, but I am absolutely fine with that because I can't complain at all at the quality of healthcare provided in Canada.
thank you Silver. i feel i have a more complete picture of the situation now.

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:41 am

Klankh79 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:38 am
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:

No problem. I am curious though, if you went to go see your doctor tomorrow for a check up - what would that cost you if anything. I assume some insurance plans cover that.

Klankh79

Post by Klankh79 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 am

Silver Lights wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:41 am
Klankh79 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:

No problem. I am curious though, if you went to go see your doctor tomorrow for a check up - what would that cost you if anything. I assume some insurance plans cover that.
couldnt tell ya. i have chosen to opt out of health insurance most times its offered to me. ive gotten penalized over $600 for several years now due to Barrycare, tho....

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 am

Klankh79 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 am
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:

couldnt tell ya. i have chosen to opt out of health insurance most times its offered to me. ive gotten penalized over $600 for several years now due to Barrycare, tho....
So I assume then if something bad happened to you health wise ala Eric Carr - you might be wiped out financially.

Klankh79

Post by Klankh79 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 am

Silver Lights wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 am
Klankh79 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:

So I assume then if something bad happened to you health wise ala Eric Carr - you might be wiped out financially.
absolutely. i prefer to take my chances. i think insurance is the biggest scam since organized religion.

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am

Klankh79 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 am
Silver Lights wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 am
Klankh79 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:

absolutely. i prefer to take my chances. i think insurance is the biggest scam since organized religion.
I agree.

battra

Post by battra » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:31 am

Klankh79 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:

If you get sick are you just going to die are you going to go to the emergency room?

Nately120

Post by Nately120 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:31 am

I'm sure there are one or two exception-not-the-rule horror stories readily available for any situation. That'd be like being afraid to listen to ALIVE! because it might be 2 LPs full of Let's Put the X in Sex!

Super Bee
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Super Bee » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 am

Well this thread took a nice political turn. I expect that on the gun forum I frequent since it is our second amendment but people keep dragging it here more and more.

Can someone start a new "Pauls voice sucks" or "Genes hair" thread to get things back on track. :)

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:53 am

Super Bee wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 am
Well this thread took a nice political turn. I expect that on the gun forum I frequent since it is our second amendment but people keep dragging it here more and more.

Can someone start a new "Pauls voice sucks" or "Genes hair" thread to get things back on track. :)
I don't think it's political so much as just the reality of life, health care and the cost of that.

Diss

Post by Diss » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:53 am

Silver Lights wrote:

I'm insured through my employer. If I go to visit a doctor, I pay a co-pay, usually around 20-30 dollars for a visit. Not too bad. If I have other procedures done that are covered, I pay a deductible up to a certain amount, then the insurance covers the rest. I'm lucky enough to have pretty decent insurance. Many others are not. Hence the responses you've seen where they prefer to "take their chances" and get none at all. Sad.

You'd think something like this wouldn't be a partisan issue at all, but ... not the case.

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:00 am

Diss wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:53 am
Silver Lights wrote:

I'm insured through my employer. If I go to visit a doctor, I pay a co-pay, usually around 20-30 dollars for a visit. Not too bad. If I have other procedures done that are covered, I pay a deductible up to a certain amount, then the insurance covers the rest. I'm lucky enough to have pretty decent insurance. Many others are not. Hence the responses you've seen where they prefer to "take their chances" and get none at all. Sad.

You'd think something like this wouldn't be a partisan issue at all, but ... not the case.
That's good that you have decent insurance. How does it work - do you have pay that 20-30 right then and there after the doctor sees you or do you get a bill in the mail, etc.

Bruce
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Bruce » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:00 am

Bill Aucoin reportedly discussed this in an Interview:
http://www.gcent.info/kissaholics/intvi ... aucoin.htm

Q- Is it true that before Eric Carr died that he was treated poorly by the band?

Bill-"That's basically true and it's probably one of the saddest stories. While I wasn't there at the time, I know because Eric was calling and talking to me…You have to understand he was always the forth man out…He was never considered by Gene and Paul, in particular, as a member of KISS because he was a hired hand and that was it…He never really had a say in anything. So over the years he knew some things were right and some things weren't and he also knew that he wasn't being treated well…Sadly, when he had the heart condition, and this is something that I don't think was Gene's fault per se, but what happened at the end was rather cruel and think that his family always thought that maybe his last stroke when he died happened because of a conversation with Gene. The sad part was that Gene and Paul had called to let him know that he absolutely was not going to be in KISS anymore. In amongst they were canceling everything to do with KISS, which meant that his medical insurance was going to be canceled. Well unfortunately, whether or not this had any…I know he was very upset over the whole thing anyway and had called me several times in the weeks prior. But that was the night he had the stroke and died…You will never meet a sweeter guy than Eric."

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 am

I do think there is truth to what Bill Aucoin is saying. Unfortunately with the way that Paul and Gene are, it is not surprising to hear how Eric was treated regardless if it's true or not. I also absolutely believe that Eric Carr was out of the band, even if he had lived. Eric Singer was the new drummer one way or another.

Super Bee
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Super Bee » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 am

Silver Lights wrote:
Super Bee wrote:

I don't think it's political so much as just the reality of life, health care and the cost of that.

I am sorry but I do feel it is political. Ones health, yes is a part of life. Who is responsible for their care and expenses is where it gets political.

rewind84
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by rewind84 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:06 am

Medical costs can wipe you out everywhere.

Pay a health insurance.

Here in Brazil we have public health..like Obama tried to do in U.S. It doesnt work. People die waiting for simple procedures. Besides, you have to pay much more taxes, for a shitty service, and to feed the mouth of corrupted politicians.

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 am

Super Bee wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 am
Silver Lights wrote:
Super Bee wrote:

I am sorry but I do feel it is political. Ones health, yes is a part of life. Who is responsible for their care and expenses is where it gets political.
I take it you are not in favor of a system that everyone pays into and healthcare is "free" for all.

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:12 am

rewind84 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:06 am

Pay a health insurance.

Here in Brazil we have public health..like Obama tried to do in U.S. It doesnt work. People die waiting for simple procedures. Besides, you have to pay much more taxes, for a shitty service, and to feed the mouth of corrupted politicians.
People dying waiting for procedures is EXTREMELY rare. It is the exception. Not the rule, but it makes the news - so uninformed people think it happens all the time.

America is the only country in the world where the biggest reason why people go bankrupt is because of medical expenses.

I happily pay more in taxes in Canada and get excellent health care. Much of what you are saying is a complete fallacy when it comes to other countries.
Last edited by Silver Lights on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

rewind84

Post by rewind84 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am

Silver Lights wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:12 am
rewind84 wrote:

Pay a health insurance.

People dying waiting for procedures is EXTREMELY rare. It is the exception. Not the rule, but it makes the news - so uninformed people think it happens all the time.

America is the only country in the world where the biggest reason why people go bankrupt is because of medical expenses.

I happily pay more in taxes in Canada and get excellent health care. Much of what you are saying is a complete fallacy.
Lol extremely rare , where?

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am

rewind84 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am
Silver Lights wrote:
rewind84 wrote:

Pay a health insurance.

I happily pay more in taxes in Canada and get excellent health care. Much of what you are saying is a complete fallacy.
Someone dying waiting for a procedure usually makes the world news because of how horrible that is - so ignorant people think oh my god, that must happen all the time. It's rare. In any country that has universal healthcare. Canada included.

Super Bee
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Super Bee » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 am

Silver Lights wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 am
Super Bee wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 am
Silver Lights wrote:
Super Bee wrote:

I take it you are not in favor of a system that everyone pays into and healthcare is "free" for all.

:wink:

rewind84

Post by rewind84 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:29 am

Silver Lights wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am
rewind84 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
rewind84 wrote:

Pay a health insurance.

Someone dying waiting for a procedure usually makes the world news because of how horrible that is - so ignorant people think oh my god, that must happen all the time. It's rare. In any country that has universal healthcare. Canada included.
hahahaha im sorrry.
hahahahaha
I dont think you know Brazil very much.

:lol:

https://g1.globo.com/rj/rio-de-janeiro/ ... oria.ghtml

I will translate the link for you, it says:

Each day, 14 people die due to lack of bed vacancy in Rio de Janeiro hospitals.

We also have around 15 murders each day, because we live in a drug war inside our city.

So, what about Canada? Great place to live huh? Wanna change places?

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:36 am

rewind84 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:29 am
Silver Lights wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am
rewind84 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
rewind84 wrote:

Pay a health insurance.

hahahaha im sorrry.
hahahahaha
I dont think you know Brazil very much.

:lol:

https://g1.globo.com/rj/rio-de-janeiro/ ... oria.ghtml

I will translate the link for you, it says:

Each day, 14 people die due to lack of bed vacancy in Rio de Janeiro hospitals.

We also have around 15 murders each day, because we live in a drug war inside our city.

So, what about Canada? Great place to live huh? Wanna change places?
I was speaking generally. People who argue against universal health care often bring up that people die waiting for procedures because they saw some article online where that happened, so they assume it happens all the time.

Brazil is ranked 125th in the world when it comes to healthcare, so it sounds like you don't have good healthcare in that country just generally speaking and that's why people are dying. Never mind if it's insurance based or based on higher taxes.

ZachAttack
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ZachAttack » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:37 am

Klankh79 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:19 am
the ONLY thing i agree with the Regressive Left on, is that health care and college education should NOT be among the most expensive things you can buy on the fucking planet. "free" makes absolutely no sense tho.

as for countries with socialized healthcare im torn. i dont know whether to believe in its effectiveness or not. are the mechanics of it as bad as some reports suggest? they say you can die of the common cold while waiting to see a Dr. in Canada.....
A close friend of mine lives in Sweden and had to wait over a year to get an MRI done

ZachAttack
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ZachAttack » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:39 am

Silver Lights wrote:

That's only free to people who don't work

Silver Lights
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Silver Lights » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 am

ZachAttack wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:39 am
Silver Lights wrote:

Not true at all. Even if you are not working, or you are a lazy ass or you are on welfare - you still buy things to stay alive like food. A pack of gum costs more in Canada, because you are paying into healthcare, etc. Every purchase pays into the system.

Klankh79

Post by Klankh79 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:03 pm

battra wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:31 am
Klankh79 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:
Silver Lights wrote:
Klankh79 wrote:

If you get sick are you just going to die are you going to go to the emergency room?
LOLOL for real man, thanks!! :D 8)

battra

Post by battra » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Silver Lights wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 am
ZachAttack wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:39 am
Silver Lights wrote:

Not true at all. Even if you are not working, or you are a lazy ass or you are on welfare - you still buy things to stay alive like food. A pack of gum costs more in Canada, because you are paying into healthcare, etc. Every purchase pays into the system.
I was told the Ontario Beer Taxes go to paying for the healtcare.

I'd take the bump in beer prices for not paying for insurance out of my check each week....I'd save so much money.

ZachAttack
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by ZachAttack » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Silver Lights wrote:
you still buy things to stay alive like food
Not when you're on food stamps

Klankh79

Post by Klankh79 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Bruce wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:00 am

Q- Is it true that before Eric Carr died that he was treated poorly by the band?

Bill-" In amongst they were canceling everything to do with KISS, which meant that his medical insurance was going to be canceled.

............and now back to our regularly scheduled program.....(yes i know, i am one of the primary belligerents in this threads' digression, my bad)............

i can see a scenario like this unfolding. given KISS' piss poor god awful financial state of affairs from the late 80s on, this seems entirely plausible to me.

Nately120

Post by Nately120 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm

ZachAttack wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm
Silver Lights wrote:
you still buy things to stay alive like food
Not when you're on food stamps
Methinks most people on food stamps do work, but they have crap-o jobs.

rewind84

Post by rewind84 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Brazil has this kind of (communist) politics since day one.
A country that you pay taxes for shitty services. Where you pay for others that dont work. A country who laws protect more bandits than good people. (You can get away with murder and rape in 5, 6 years) Human rights will always defend murders and rapist. If you are a minor, you dont go to jail. Even if you rape, kill, toss fire in a baby. Whatever. You're a kid. You must be protected. A country where around 500 cops die every year. A country where everybody is welcome. Just come and start working..whatever. We don't care. Nobody has a job, you wont either.

Thats why we are desperate trying to put a conservative as president this year. Because the last one suffered impeachment..and the other is in jail. Both from the 'Workers Party'. Here we dont have Side A and Side B..we have a lot of parties. Just two really right winged. Most left and extreme left, like the Communist Party (Yeah they are still alive here)

look at us and enjoy your future. At least you will be good soccer players (for some years).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruce
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Bruce » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Klankh79 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm
Bruce wrote:

Bill-" In amongst they were canceling everything to do with KISS, which meant that his medical insurance was going to be canceled.

............and now back to our regularly scheduled program.....(yes i know, i am one of the primary belligerents in this threads' digression, my bad)............

i can see a scenario like this unfolding. given KISS' piss poor god awful financial state of affairs from the late 80s on, this seems entirely plausible to me.
Thing is, KissAsylum.com used to have this feature called "Album Focus" discussing the KISStory of the band. It's gone now and a very strange rockumentary version of it is in its place. I believe that the band's story from album to album was converted into a book that someone associated with the site put together and sold. But while it was still on KissAsylum, I read some of what Paul and Gene had supposedly done for Eric. The thing is, though, they were very reluctant to bring this up, it seems there's not enough hard facts to back up anything about it. But the gist of it was that Eric had sold his rights, whatever they were, of KISS to Gene & Paul (I guess to songs that he wrote or co-wrote) and this helped pay his medical bills. Also, Gene & Paul (or maybe just Gene) bought Eric a Porche, early on (as a birthday present, maybe?) and this car, too, got sold. To whom it was sold, I can't honestly remember. I've looked all over the net for a similar assemblage of information on what the band was up to over the years, but have found nothing else like what KA had. I believe this was the book it became, though:

https://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Album-Focus ... R8MZR5CDY9

Klankh79

Post by Klankh79 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Bruce wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:25 pm
Klankh79 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm
Bruce wrote:

Thing is, KissAsylum.com used to have this feature called "Album Focus" discussing the KISStory of the band. It's gone now and a very strange rockumentary version of it is in its place. I believe that the band's story from album to album was converted into a book that someone associated with the site put together and sold. But while it was still on KissAsylum, I read some of what Paul and Gene had supposedly done for Eric. The thing is, though, they were very reluctant to bring this up, it seems there's not enough hard facts to back up anything about it. But the gist of it was that Eric had sold his rights, whatever they were, of KISS to Gene & Paul (I guess to songs that he wrote or co-wrote) and this helped pay his medical bills. Also, Gene & Paul (or maybe just Gene) bought Eric a Porche, early on (as a birthday present, maybe?) and this car, too, got sold. To whom it was sold, I can't honestly remember. I've looked all over the net for a similar assemblage of information on what the band was up to over the years, but have found nothing else like what KA had. I believe this was the book it became, though:

https://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Album-Focus ... R8MZR5CDY9
i remember the Album Focuses (Foci?) i printed them all off and put them in binders. i havent looked at em in over 15 years. i dont remember the passage you're mentioning.....but....its been over 15 years lol

so Eric was effectively out of the band anyway, and the cancelling of his coverage was just one of the worst possible coincidences? DAMN!!

Bruce
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Bruce » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Yeah, Eric was kind of thrown under the bus, I guess you could say. Gene, in particular, when he's asked about Eric Carr, will say that its an emotional subject for him. He'd claimed that Eric was his friend. I don't have any information on it, myself, but Gene does talk about it, a little bit:

"KISS' GENE SIMMONS: Why We Fired ERIC CARR On His Deathbed"
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kiss-g ... -deathbed/