Help  •  Register  •  Login

Bruce Kulick - KISS guitar player role is the "Ace Frehley"

<<

In the Suds

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Wed May 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Bruce Kulick - KISS guitar player role is the "Ace Frehley"

@ 3:52 - I guess he didn't get the 'Spaceman' memo.

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXvs7X_Pq0
<<

Supertrooper

Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post Wed May 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Re: Bruce Kulick - KISS guitar player role is the "Ace Frehl

This guy is just wrong. He is a threat to all things KISS really stands for.
He seems to be intelligent, talented, nice, relaxed, having good health, having self-irony, being polite and sober.
If you can't fuck up either of the above, at least you should pretend to be someone or something else!
I get so mad at Bruce!
<<

WinnieWincent

Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 pm

He's not wrong
<<

41Mets

Council of the Elder
Council of the Elder

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Great answer, handled ideally.
<<

Deuce Frehley

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm

In the Suds wrote:@ 3:52 - I guess he didn't get the 'Spaceman' memo.

@ 4:36 he did.
<<

Might as well be the Admin!

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Supertrooper wrote:This guy is just wrong. He is a threat to all things KISS really stands for.
He seems to be intelligent, talented, nice, relaxed, having good health, having self-irony, being polite and sober.
If you can't fuck up either of the above, at least you should pretend to be someone or something else!
I get so mad at Bruce!

:lol:
<<

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 pm

I just gotta say once again.... I love Bruce Kulick.

Such an awesome, awesome guy.
<<

70skid

2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:56 pm

67321 wrote:I just gotta say once again.... I love Bruce Kulick.

Amen brother ! Bruce is class act and a great musician ! No BS from him ever. Straight answer from straight up guy.
<<

nibbler1982

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXvs7X_Pq0

For one...in his own words he says...”I’m not there to know all this.”

And two...

What does what Bruce Kulick says have ANY BEARING on what the names of Paul and Gene’s intellectual properties are called?
<<

Post Wed May 16, 2018 10:05 pm

70skid wrote:

Amen brother ! Bruce is class act and a great musician ! No BS from him ever. Straight answer from straight up guy.

Right on 70skid, :salut:
<<

TGAH8183

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post Thu May 17, 2018 2:51 am

Some points.

Tommy just "slipped in" at the secret (at the time) Jamaica show. They probably figured if a bunch of russian millionaires didn't kill us with Tommy as Ace on stage then I guess we're safe to continue.

Bruce says the band was making 4-5 million just prior to the reunion and 40-50 million during it. That's what I've always been saying. Gene, Paul and KISS Ltd weren't broke back then. They just choose the greedy nostalgia route with the reunion. That all it was. It wasn't a life saving decision.

Bruce is both right and wrong with the "Ace" comment. They didn't think that with Vinnie in 1982 and it worked. It worked with him out of make-up for 12 years. Ace is Ace when he's up on stage in KISS and any other guitarist should always aspire to be himself, as Vinnie and Bruce did themelves.
<<

soeuropean

Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post Thu May 17, 2018 2:56 am

Yeah. Bruce said in I believe a Guitar World interview to promote Alive3 that he was true to the spirit of the old solos but he added his own spin on them and that it’s “not very flattering to just copy someone else’s solos”. Totally agree.
<<

Ikons

Post Thu May 17, 2018 3:49 am

Deuce Frehley wrote:

@ 4:36 he did.

yeah, he does mention it later on :lol:
<<

kissjrj

Post Thu May 17, 2018 4:35 am

Spaceman.

Raymond E. Scott was an attorney in Detroit.

Many know the music and style of the band KISS. Most importantly you know their faces. Raymond E. Scott is more familiar with those faces than most. After all, he did trademark them.

“No one had ever registered the face of an entertainer before. As a matter of fact, the trademark office said you can’t do that,” said Scott.

However, the trademark office went through with it after Scott’s argument. He is an attorney, afterall.

“I actually had somebody sit in for Peter Criss, the drummer, and wear the same make-up and nobody knew,” explained Scott.
Attachments
webcontent (2).jpg
<<

In the Suds

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Thu May 17, 2018 5:40 am

kissjrj wrote:Spaceman.

<<

Diss

Post Thu May 17, 2018 7:00 am

nibbler1982 wrote:What does what Bruce Kulick says have ANY BEARING on what the names of Paul and Gene’s intellectual properties are called?

Nothing, and that's not the point.

The point is that most people of a certain age parameter think of that makeup as "Ace Frehley" just as they are more likely to think of Gene and Paul when they see their makeup vs. "Demon" and "Starchild." It underscores the fact that the characters were secondary to the people inhabiting the roles for the entirety of the first phase of the band's makeup career, and further underscores the fact that any comments to the contrary are completely revisionist history.

The posting of a makeup design trademark document misses the point as well.
<<

battra

Post Thu May 17, 2018 7:09 am

TGAH8183 wrote:Bruce says the band was making 4-5 million just prior to the reunion and 40-50 million during it. That's what I've always been saying. Gene, Paul and KISS Ltd weren't broke back then. They just choose the greedy nostalgia route with the reunion. That all it was. It wasn't a life saving decision.

4-5 million is most likely the operating revenue the band was generating and not in fact the profit the band was generating.

In most businesses, 5% of the revenue is in pocket profit.

So, about a quarter of a million is take home..

Before taxes.

Good money for sure, but consider doing that isn't going to set them for life. When you get to your 40's like they were back then, you start to wonder if you'll be able to retire.
<<

wise

Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:33 am

You know it, man!
<<

FlamingRuth

Might as well be a member of the band!
Might as well be a member of the band!

Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 am

Supertrooper wrote:This guy is just wrong. He is a threat to all things KISS really stands for.
I get so mad at Bruce!

Perfect!
My sentiments exactly--if you can't piss off Paul , over-shadow Gene,contract a rare disease, spontaneously combust or at least get drunk and do crazy shit in interviews, what are you doing in Kiss?!

In all seriousness, I love Bruce more and more as time goes on.
He's a class act. 8)
<<

TGAH8183

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:45 am

battra wrote:
TGAH8183 wrote:Bruce says the band was making 4-5 million just prior to the reunion and 40-50 million during it. That's what I've always been saying. Gene, Paul and KISS Ltd weren't broke back then. They just choose the greedy nostalgia route with the reunion. That all it was. It wasn't a life saving decision.

4-5 million is most likely the operating revenue the band was generating and not in fact the profit the band was generating.

Before taxes.

Good money for sure, but consider doing that isn't going to set them for life. When you get to your 40's like they were back then, you start to wonder if you'll be able to retire.

Well, they didn't starve in 1994 and 1995 playing in South America, Japan, Australia and some one-offs in the USA. That's what I meant.
<<

battra

Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 am

TGAH8183 wrote:
battra wrote:

Before taxes.

Well, they didn't starve in 1994 and 1995 playing in South America, Japan, Australia and some one-offs in the USA. That's what I meant.

I would imagine that back then they were thinking they'd want to retire and enjoy life some...I doubt they pictured they'd be doing this at age 65.

If they were w/o the makeup now though, they'd be playing Wal-Mart parking lots...because without makeup, no one cares.
<<

redinthesky

Post Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 am

"....I'm not the Ace Frehley...."

And why should Bruce lower himself to portray a past Kiss member anyway? Bruce should sometimes be a little more straightforward. He wants to stay in good with Gene and Paul so he'll never (?) say it, but I'd love to hear him say, "I was on gold and platinum Kiss albums as myself. I wasn't going to go from that, to impersonating a past Kiss member, even Ace Frehley. Tommy was the perfect guy, he was even Ace in a previous Kiss tribute band, so he has Ace experience."
<<

TGAH8183

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am

battra wrote:
TGAH8183 wrote:
battra wrote:

Before taxes.

I would imagine that back then they were thinking they'd want to retire and enjoy life some...I doubt they pictured they'd be doing this at age 65.

If they were w/o the makeup now though, they'd be playing Wal-Mart parking lots...because without makeup, no one cares.

Probably. Something obviously happened in 2002 that changed their minds and continue. Some time after the Olympics performance.

Well, these days they can't even play anymore as Paul can't sing. So it really doesn't matter. Probably the best of two worlds would have been everything the same up until 2001 and then get back with Bruce and Eric. See my new thread of a possible album made out of Asshole and Live To Win.
<<

nibbler1982

Post Thu May 17, 2018 11:12 am

battra wrote:

Before taxes.

“In most businesses, 5% of the revenue is in pocket profit.”

Huh??????????

Remind me not to let this guy answer my phone or do my taxes.

I’m currently buying into a nationwide franchise and the average profit margin is 36%. Back to Paul and Gene, they’re in a performance based industry. Which inherently carries a high percentage as it is. If you even want to get into KISS’ merch? You tell me what kind of mark up there is on a $30 T-shirt.

FIVE PERCENT? Maybe for farmers perhaps.

You know even less about business than you do the definition of tribute band or the registered names of the KISS characters!
<<

battra

Post Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 am

nibbler1982 wrote:I’m currently buying into a nationwide franchise and the average profit margin is 36%. Back to Paul and Gene, they’re in a performance based industry. Which inherently carries a high percentage as it is. If you even want to get into KISS’ merch? You tell me what kind of mark up there is on a $30 T-shirt.

Nibbs Logic: Selling a $5 cost at $40 = a take home of $35.

Because there are no other costs involved in running a business.

In my last job, I didn't make a dime in commission until I sold EIGHT TIMES my salary in profit, in order to pay for the overhead costs of my being there. So when I sold the $48,000 in profit, I got commission on ever other dollar.

Because that $48,000, didn't go into the owners' pockets, but other peoples' to pay the costs of doing business.
<<

jannep17

Post Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 pm

nibbler1982 wrote:
battra wrote:

Before taxes.

Huh??????????

I’m currently buying into a nationwide franchise and the average profit margin is 36%. Back to Paul and Gene, they’re in a performance based industry. Which inherently carries a high percentage as it is. If you even want to get into KISS’ merch? You tell me what kind of mark up there is on a $30 T-shirt.

You know even less about business than you do the definition of tribute band or the registered names of the KISS characters!

The average profit margin for U.S. businesses are approx. 8%.
<<

nibbler1982

Post Thu May 17, 2018 4:07 pm

battra wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:I’m currently buying into a nationwide franchise and the average profit margin is 36%. Back to Paul and Gene, they’re in a performance based industry. Which inherently carries a high percentage as it is. If you even want to get into KISS’ merch? You tell me what kind of mark up there is on a $30 T-shirt.

In my last job, I didn't make a dime in commission until I sold EIGHT TIMES my salary in profit, in order to pay for the overhead costs of my being there. So when I sold the $48,000 in profit, I got commission on ever other dollar.

Because that $48,000, didn't go into the owners' pockets, but other peoples' to pay the costs of doing business.

Never said selling a $5 shirt(they get it for less) for $40 = a take home of $35. You did. I pointed out what a HUGE mark up there is on their merchandise. The higher the markup the higher the profit. A restaurant sells you a plate for 2x - 3x the cost. The people I know that own restaurants, their profit falls in the 10% range. Now take a T-shirt and sell it for 10x cost. To quote the immortal Stan Lee...”‘Nuff said.”

By your formula you believe rock stars work on a 5% profit like your neighborhood deli down the street.

I merely pointed out your asinine assessment of KISS’ profits being 5%.
<<

nibbler1982

Post Thu May 17, 2018 4:10 pm

jannep17 wrote:
nibbler1982 wrote:
battra wrote:

Before taxes.

Huh??????????

The average profit margin for U.S. businesses are approx. 8%.

Thanks.

Which would make Batts’ assessment 62.5% off the mark. I get crucified here if I’m off 10% on a show’s attendance.
<<

Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 pm

I HOPE BOTH BRUCE AND ERIC WRITE BOOKS ABOUT THEIR TENURE IN KISS.
WOULD BE THE MOST HONEST BOOKS OF ALL OF THEM, IN MY OPINION.
BOTH SEEM TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS AND WAS. CLASS ACTS......BOTH OF THEM.
<<

Pete2174

Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Stockholder in KISS Corp.

Post Thu May 17, 2018 11:38 pm

Totally agree. The times I've met him he's just been a really great guy.

He's my favourite Kiss guitarist as he's my Kiss guitarist.

Love Ace for what he did/does and blazing a path for those that followed but Bruce is the man!
<<

battra

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:17 am

nibbler1982 wrote:
battra wrote:

Never said selling a $5 shirt(they get it for less) for $40 = a take home of $35. You did. I pointed out what a HUGE mark up there is on their merchandise. The higher the markup the higher the profit. A restaurant sells you a plate for 2x - 3x the cost. The people I know that own restaurants, their profit falls in the 10% range. Now take a T-shirt and sell it for 10x cost. To quote the immortal Stan Lee...”‘Nuff said.”

By your formula you believe rock stars work on a 5% profit like your neighborhood deli down the street.

I merely pointed out your asinine assessment of KISS’ profits being 5%.

You didn't speak to anything I said, Nibs. Like Jane's Addiction said, nothing shocking.

Kiss Inc employees more people than my company...why would I assume that their operating costs wouldn't be significant expenses?

There is a significant markup on retail goods, however, that doesn't preclude the costs of running the company. Follow the conversation and try again.
<<

AllCanadianMan

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:58 am

125 wrote:I HOPE BOTH BRUCE AND ERIC WRITE BOOKS ABOUT THEIR TENURE IN KISS.
WOULD BE THE MOST HONEST BOOKS OF ALL OF THEM, IN MY OPINION.
BOTH SEEM TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS AND WAS. CLASS ACTS......BOTH OF THEM.

THIS! :salut:
<<

gene therapist

Post Tue May 22, 2018 12:44 pm

soeuropean wrote:Yeah. Bruce said in I believe a Guitar World interview to promote Alive3 that he was true to the spirit of the old solos but he added his own spin on them and that it’s “not very flattering to just copy someone else’s solos”. Totally agree.

Had he been in Spaceman makeup, you can bet Bruce would have copied Ace every bit as much as his employers demanded. After all, Spaceman is a role and to honor the legacy, you must play true to the character.
<<

battra

Post Tue May 22, 2018 1:03 pm

gene therapist wrote:
soeuropean wrote:Yeah. Bruce said in I believe a Guitar World interview to promote Alive3 that he was true to the spirit of the old solos but he added his own spin on them and that it’s “not very flattering to just copy someone else’s solos”. Totally agree.

Had he been in Spaceman makeup, you can bet Bruce would have copied Ace every bit as much as his employers demanded. After all, Spaceman is a role and to honor the legacy, you must play true to the character.

Can you please define the Space Ace character musically?

I'd like specific musical terms and how his alienness makes him play that way.

Thanks in advance. :)
<<

70skid

2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post Tue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm

battra wrote:
gene therapist wrote:

Can you please define the Space Ace character musically?

I'd like specific musical terms and how his alienness makes him play that way.

Thanks in advance. :)

Return to GENERAL KISS DISCUSSION