Help  •  Register  •  Login

*FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FACT*

<<

Phyllis Simmons

User avatar

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 3804

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:50 am

Post Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

nibbler1982 wrote:
Phyllis Simmons wrote:
41Mets wrote:Kiss is simply not a tribute band because they have two members who are not replacements and have always been in the band. They are not covering anyone else's material, they are performing their own material. That said, much of what Tommy does is not original and based heavily on a past member. Eric is also currently performing a role made famous and created by someone else. So while there are some elements of a tribute band there, the band has always been Gene and Paul with two other guys personnel wise and that seems to be the overriding factor overall.

It's a unique line to walk that no other band has ever done. No other band is so unique so I cannot compare it to any other band. One thing I will say is that hard definitions can never govern emotional reactions and interpretations by any fan. If you want to believe there is only one true Spaceman, that is your right as a fan to believe so.

Well put; not technically a "Tribute Band", never was... Though KISS are in a unique situation in dressing up newer members as the original members and requiring them to essentially impersonate those original members. No replcement rock band member has ever done this.
So KISS along with the Village People ( :lol: ) are the only act in popular music history to have done this.
Are the Village People technically a Tribute Band?? I think the cop might be the original guy?!?! So as long as theres an original guy; the Tribute band label cant be used?! :scratch: I'm happy to go with that..


Yo Phillie! Victor Willis...the original lead singer and writer of ALL of the Village People’s hits is back for the first time in nearly FORTY YEARS! As a VP fan this is BIG NEWS.

Your “I think the cop might be the original guy” was too nonchalant for me! :D


My bad... Credit where its due that guy does have a voice.. I think the Indian is the original guy maybe? Can we say Indian anymore - or Native American?



nibbler1982 wrote:
The statute CLEARLY STATES...

Under the Truth In Music legislation a band is considered “real”, “actual”, “legitimate”, official”, etc, if it meets either of these criteria.

1. the performing group owns the federal service mark registered with the U. S. Patent and Trademark Office.
2. at least one member of the performing group was a member of the recording group and has a legal right by use or operation under the group name without having abandoned it or affiliation with the group.

At this point if it doesn’t meet this criteria it is now considered a tribute or salute and must identify itself as so in all advertising and promotion.

That legal definition is interesting... but very vague... It says EITHER of the 2 criterias....
Criteria 1 - So when Gene and Paul hand down their KISS brand ownership to Nick and Evan - the 2 boys can technically perform as KISS, because they own the company/ trademark?! (I actually would not rule this possibility out!)
Criteria 2 - Will get messy -- already we see several versions of a few bands, when a few guys may claim ownership of a name....
I think in the coming 3-5 years we will see some real STRETCHING of what is being passed off as "official" versions of bands..... Will be interesting to see. Very interesting..
<<

redinthesky

User avatar

Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Posts: 22404

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am

Post Thu May 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

nibbler1982 wrote:
Phyllis Simmons wrote:
41Mets wrote:Kiss is simply not a tribute band because they have two members who are not replacements and have always been in the band. They are not covering anyone else's material, they are performing their own material. That said, much of what Tommy does is not original and based heavily on a past member. Eric is also currently performing a role made famous and created by someone else. So while there are some elements of a tribute band there, the band has always been Gene and Paul with two other guys personnel wise and that seems to be the overriding factor overall.

It's a unique line to walk that no other band has ever done. No other band is so unique so I cannot compare it to any other band. One thing I will say is that hard definitions can never govern emotional reactions and interpretations by any fan. If you want to believe there is only one true Spaceman, that is your right as a fan to believe so.

Well put; not technically a "Tribute Band", never was... Though KISS are in a unique situation in dressing up newer members as the original members and requiring them to essentially impersonate those original members. No replcement rock band member has ever done this.
So KISS along with the Village People ( :lol: ) are the only act in popular music history to have done this.
Are the Village People technically a Tribute Band?? I think the cop might be the original guy?!?! So as long as theres an original guy; the Tribute band label cant be used?! :scratch: I'm happy to go with that..


Yo Phillie! Victor Willis...the original lead singer and writer of ALL of the Village People’s hits is back for the first time in nearly FORTY YEARS! As a VP fan this is BIG NEWS.

Your “I think the cop might be the original guy” was too nonchalant for me! :D


As a Village People fan, there's a little more to this though. Victor Willis did "come back" and immediately started legal proceedings for the rights to the name "Village People." During this, he asked the longest members of what was currently The Village People (with Ray Simpson as the cop, as he'd been since '79 sans a few years in the 80s) to leave Ray and join him, in anticipation of a victory for the name. They said no, Victor hired five other guys, and sure enough, Victor won the name. So the group that was "The Village People" for the past near-40 years was forced to change their name ("The Kings of Disco") and Victor Willis is now once again the singer of The Village People.

So in one swift motion, "The Village People" version since late 1979 suddenly because a tribute band called The Kings of Disco, and Victor Willis' new official "The Village People" can also be seen as a tribute band in a sense because he is the only one out of the six "classic lineup" guys in it (there are two 'classic lineup' guys in Kings of Disco). Victor's new Village People truthfully kind of sucks, horrible choreography (when they even try it) and Victor is out of shape and gets winded very quickly. They do use a real band tho' which is a good thing (the others did not). But we'll see if they shape up.

I also think Victor is overstating his writing - I could be wrong, but I don't believe he actually wrote any music on those classic hits, just the lyrics (of course, they are great lyrics). But if you see Victor's Facebook page, he's lightening up a bit now but for a while he got pretty brutal concerning the other band, lots of insults and such (karaoke singers," "fakers," "cop pretending to be me," etc).
<<

CominHome

User avatar

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 4424

Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Location: Montucky

Post Fri May 18, 2018 4:58 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

nibbler1982 wrote: Bikers are funny.


I try and sometimes fail.

nibbler1982 wrote: However...nothing you wrote supersedes the statute.


I wasn't trying to supersede anything. If we were in a court of law, the legal definition would always apply. KISS also meets the criteria of the definition in the dictionary as I noted previously. So legally speaking, KISS isn't a tribute band. Although technically they are according to the dictionary. So depending on the context (<--funny word there Nibbs) of the conversation, both can apply and be correct.

Point to Ponder- "There isn't a legal definition of "asshole" as far as I'm aware, but some would say that you fit the definition of the term. (maybe myself included?). If we were in court, an attorney couldn't legally refer to you as that without an objection for hearsay/conjecture or possible slander and/or defamation of character implications. Yet I could call you one as we have a cold one after a concert and it would/could fit the dictionary definition".
<<

mybliesad

User avatar

Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Stockholder in KISS Corp.

Posts: 948

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Post Fri May 18, 2018 5:17 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

FACT writing "Fact" in capital letters doesn't make your fact a fact FACT. Sorry but that's a pet peeve of mine - people will write anything even something they pulled out of their a$$ then write FACT after it as if that makes it true. That doesn't mean your fact isn't a fact but the fact you wrote fact in capital letters didn't make it one. It's almost as irritating as the word "haters". 12 year old girls call people haters - if you're not 12 years old and a girl then don't call someone a hater.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

User avatar

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 2766

Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:59 am

Location: Lisbon Rock City

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:17 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Six pages and going...

:lol: 8)
<<

Crown Royal

User avatar

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Posts: 7779

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 am

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:20 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Nibblet threads are like watching the Titanic sink over and over again. It's awful, horrible stuff, but you cannot avert your gaze.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

User avatar

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 2766

Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:59 am

Location: Lisbon Rock City

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:28 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Crown Royal wrote:Nibblet threads are like watching the Titanic sink over and over again. It's awful, horrible stuff, but you cannot avert your gaze.


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKMMCPeiQoc
<<

Vandelay Industries

User avatar

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Posts: 7734

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm

Location: CSRA, SC

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
Crown Royal wrote:Nibblet threads are like watching the Titanic sink over and over again. It's awful, horrible stuff, but you cannot avert your gaze.


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKMMCPeiQoc


That's where you're wrong. I, for one, have no expectations about anything changing, lol...

What do you call it when you watch the same thing happen over and over again, but you don't expect different results? :lol:
Last edited by Vandelay Industries on Fri May 18, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Tobakko

User avatar

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Posts: 189

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:29 am

Location: Saint Paul, MN

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:33 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Here's some education for you.

hy·per·bo·le /hīˈpərbəlē/

noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles

definition: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

You can't "factually" disprove opinion.[/quote]

You have taught me nothing...but here’s some more education for you.

You can’t use your “opinion” to disprove facts.

If there is an actual definition to what a tribute band is composed of then your opinion can’t change what that is.

For all people that full well know KISS isn’t a tribute but use it for effect? That’s their prerogative.

But as you can see in this thread alone there are people that believe their opinion supersedes the legal definition of the term.

They...like you, are wrong.

Period.[/quote]

Your synopsis only works if you take something that was not meant literal, literal. You may care too much what people think about KISS. They are just a band. And if someone cracks that they are a tribute band. It's a joke. Or a dig. Maybe a cheap shot. Not a factual statement that a dictionary will help clear up. Unless you want to look up words like sarcasm. Embellish. Exaggerate. Or the more encompassing Hyperbole.
<<

CrissPeters

User avatar

Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Posts: 611

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:07 am

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:45 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

nibbler1982 wrote:The problem here is that people just aren’t educated about what constitutes a tribute band or not. It’s nobody’s fault. They just don’t know any better.

Under the Truth In Music legislation a band is considered “real”, “actual”, “legitimate”, official”, etc, if it meets either of these criteria.

1. the performing group owns the federal service mark registered with the U. S. Patent and Trademark Office.
2. at least one member of the performing group was a member of the recording group and has a legal right by use or operation under the group name without having abandoned it or affiliation with the group.

At this point if it doesn’t meet this criteria it is now considered a tribute or salute and must identify itself as so in all advertising and promotion.

Any of the reasons anyone might disagree with this definition is a moot point. Your OPINION is irrelevant. It’s like my dad calling the Los Angeles Dodgers the Brooklyn Dodgers. It’s just an emotional attachment you have to the subject matter. It has no bearing on the reality of the situation.

The current KISS lineup is KISS and not a tribute band. This is a fact, not opinion. End of discussion.

To call KISS a tribute band is an example of ignorance. When I say that it’s not an attack or insult to anyone here. Please believe that. This too is merely a fact. So for those that want to continue to embrace the ignorance feel free to do so. That’s your prerogative. Although it would be akin to saying 2+2=5.

ig·no·rance
/ˈiɡnərəns/
noun

lack of knowledge or information.
"he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"
synonyms: incomprehension of, unawareness of, unconsciousness of, unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about;

Nibbs...the Great Educator.


Stop making sense...
<<

Fartbone

User avatar

Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Posts: 13425

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:09 pm

Location: Los Angeles Rules!!!

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

again
Attachments
paul lynde promo copy.jpg
<<

Crown Royal

User avatar

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Posts: 7779

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:03 am

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:02 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

:lol:
<<

kenn.ace

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 2838

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:23 pm

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:11 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! Fa

Definitely half a tribute band
<<

Forevertj

User avatar

Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Posts: 12962

Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:56 pm

Location: Powerhouse Gym

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Of course Kiss is not a tribute band. That should be obvious. You want proof? Look at the ticket prices! :D :mrgreen:
<<

Fartbone

User avatar

Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Posts: 13425

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:09 pm

Location: Los Angeles Rules!!!

Post Fri May 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Forevertj wrote:Of course Kiss is not a tribute band. That should be obvious. You want proof? Look at the ticket prices! :D :mrgreen:


Brit Floyd tickets in los angels are going for over $100

Your point?
<<

battra

User avatar

Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Posts: 13010

Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:30 pm

Location: St. Louis

Post Fri May 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Fartbone wrote:
Forevertj wrote:Of course Kiss is not a tribute band. That should be obvious. You want proof? Look at the ticket prices! :D :mrgreen:


Brit Floyd tickets in los angels are going for over $100

Your point?


I could've seen Strutter for the same price I pay to see Kiss.

I passed...it was also a 45 mile one way trip.
<<

TGAH8183

User avatar

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Posts: 151

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Today's KISS may not be a tribute band in a factual sense but they are pathetic nevertheless, and have been since the day they started to sound like shit live. I can almost ignore Tommy and Eric as the Spaceman and the Catman. I can almost ignore them not being able to write good songs anymore. But I can't ignore KISS as a shitty live band. That started more than a decade ago. They need to quit now, not in a decade.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

User avatar

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 2766

Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:59 am

Location: Lisbon Rock City

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

TGAH8183 wrote:Today's KISS may not be a tribute band in a factual sense but they are pathetic nevertheless, and have been since the day they started to sound like shit live. I can almost ignore Tommy and Eric as the Spaceman and the Catman. I can almost ignore them not being able to write good songs anymore. But I can't ignore KISS as a shitty live band. That started more than a decade ago. They need to quit now, not in a decade.


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sWO8BLJ_KI

- -

Definitely sh*tty, especially when compared with someone else's recent performance...
<<

TGAH8183

User avatar

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Posts: 151

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
TGAH8183 wrote:Today's KISS may not be a tribute band in a factual sense but they are pathetic nevertheless, and have been since the day they started to sound like shit live. I can almost ignore Tommy and Eric as the Spaceman and the Catman. I can almost ignore them not being able to write good songs anymore. But I can't ignore KISS as a shitty live band. That started more than a decade ago. They need to quit now, not in a decade.


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sWO8BLJ_KI

- -

Definitely sh*tty, especially when compared with someone else's recent performance...


They sound like a cover band.

This is how you play it.


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhT0iGVjocs
<<

Thunderous_Lay

User avatar

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 2766

Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:59 am

Location: Lisbon Rock City

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

TGAH8183 wrote:They sound like a cover band.

This is how you play it.


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhT0iGVjocs

And then you react in total shock at the accusation you're little more than a parody account...

- -

In case you haven't noticed, three of the band members are the same in both performances, not to mention the playing and tempo remain identical, the major difference being that Tommy plays a more faithful version of Ace's solo - ironically enough, more faithful than the one Ace has been playing for years...

Try again, please.
<<

rewind84

User avatar

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 4591

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:24 am

Location: Brasil

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Tommy butchered the intro...terrible.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

User avatar

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 2766

Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:59 am

Location: Lisbon Rock City

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

rewind84 wrote:Tommy butchered the intro...terrible.

It's 2015; their instruments were tuned a whole step down.

Tommy didn't butcher anything...
<<

TGAH8183

User avatar

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Posts: 151

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
TGAH8183 wrote:They sound like a cover band.

This is how you play it.


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhT0iGVjocs

And then you react in total shock at the accusation you're little more than a parody account...

- -

In case you haven't noticed, three of the band members are the same in both performances, not to mention the playing and tempo remain identical, the major difference being that Tommy plays a more faithful version of Ace's solo - ironically enough, more faithful than the one Ace has been playing for years...

Try again, please.


That's the point I'm making, that three of the members are the same yet they sound like shit nowdays. Why is that? Hint, it's not only because Bruce Kulick is missing. It has something to do with the other three... Now we know one of them is held back, so that leaves the other two.

If you can't hear what's wrong maybe you should check your hearing.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

User avatar

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 2766

Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:59 am

Location: Lisbon Rock City

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

TGAH8183 wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:
TGAH8183 wrote:They sound like a cover band.

This is how you play it.


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhT0iGVjocs

And then you react in total shock at the accusation you're little more than a parody account...

- -

In case you haven't noticed, three of the band members are the same in both performances, not to mention the playing and tempo remain identical, the major difference being that Tommy plays a more faithful version of Ace's solo - ironically enough, more faithful than the one Ace has been playing for years...

Try again, please.


That's the point I'm making, that three of the members are the same yet they sound like shit nowdays. Why is that? Hint, it's not only because Bruce Kulick is missing. It has something to do with the other three... Now we know one of them is held back, so that leaves the other two.

If you can't hear what's wrong maybe you should check your hearing.

Quality rebuttal on your part, especially when you can't even be bothered pinpointing the failings or strong points of either performance but then again, judging from some of your earlier posts, it's quite clear you know f*ck all about music.
<<

TGAH8183

User avatar

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Posts: 151

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Post Fri May 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
TGAH8183 wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:
TGAH8183 wrote:They sound like a cover band.

This is how you play it.


Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhT0iGVjocs

And then you react in total shock at the accusation you're little more than a parody account...

- -

In case you haven't noticed, three of the band members are the same in both performances, not to mention the playing and tempo remain identical, the major difference being that Tommy plays a more faithful version of Ace's solo - ironically enough, more faithful than the one Ace has been playing for years...

Try again, please.


That's the point I'm making, that three of the members are the same yet they sound like shit nowdays. Why is that? Hint, it's not only because Bruce Kulick is missing. It has something to do with the other three... Now we know one of them is held back, so that leaves the other two.

If you can't hear what's wrong maybe you should check your hearing.

Quality rebuttal on your part, especially when you can't even be bothered pinpointing the failings or strong points of either performance but then again, judging from some of your earlier posts, it's quite clear you know f*ck all about music.


Wrong answer, not even a good try. Too bad you can't hear what's wrong. Let me help you. The word begins with an A and ends with an E, and there's only one letter missing.
<<

poppytwist1

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Posts: 119

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:54 am

Post Fri May 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

They used to have an Ape on guitar?
<<

TGAH8183

User avatar

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Posts: 151

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Post Fri May 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

poppytwist1 wrote:They used to have an Ape on guitar?


That was actually funny! :D But no...and not Ace as well.
<<

Bad Company

User avatar

Banned
Banned

Posts: 18

Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Post Fri May 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Do the legal documents say anything about KISS delivering bottom of the barrel quality and only caring about money at the expense of their fans?
<<

kissjrj

User avatar

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Posts: 9709

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:35 am

Location: Shout Mercy!!!

Post Fri May 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Bad Company wrote:Do the legal documents say anything about KISS delivering bottom of the barrel quality and only caring about money at the expense of their fans?


That's between KISS and their fans. If they're having fun, it's quite literally none of your business.

Welcome to the FAQ.
<<

TGAH8183

User avatar

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Posts: 151

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Post Fri May 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Bad Company wrote:Do the legal documents say anything about KISS delivering bottom of the barrel quality and only caring about money at the expense of their fans?


If there are such moral "documents", they should say exactly that. Bottom of the barrel quality = hang it up. Seems to me only fans that really care about the band and its history want them to stop embarrass themselves. They don't need to be labeled a tribute band, only a piss poor version of what they once used to be. Today's version of the band should not be compared to the reunion era, it should be compared to the era prior to that...and they can't cut it anymore. The two founding members can't.
<<

Bad Company

User avatar

Banned
Banned

Posts: 18

Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Post Fri May 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

kissjrj wrote:
Bad Company wrote:Do the legal documents say anything about KISS delivering bottom of the barrel quality and only caring about money at the expense of their fans?


That's between KISS and their fans. If they're having fun, it's quite literally none of your business.

Welcome to the FAQ.


Well I think KISS are having fun making money, but not actual fun in a creative, artistic or performance sense. As for the fans, many are apologists and are desperate for KISS to still exist as long as they are still breathing as if they need KISS to get through each day like some people need religion.

It's actually my business completely. One of the perks of being a fan of something is that you can be objective and critical when it is completely warranted like the last 10+years of KISS. Nothing is above objectivity and a critical position that people have for anything that they are a fan of that they feel has now been driving into the ground and is embarrassing. Fandom doesn't mean being a mindless sheep. For many Star Wars fans, The Last Jedi sucks. Should they stop being Star Wars fans?
<<

Vandelay Industries

User avatar

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Posts: 7734

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm

Location: CSRA, SC

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

Fartbone wrote:
Forevertj wrote:Of course Kiss is not a tribute band. That should be obvious. You want proof? Look at the ticket prices! :D :mrgreen:


Brit Floyd tickets in los angels are going for over $100

Your point?


Are you shitting me? I saw 'em here for 30 or 35 bucks, but I admit it was worth every penny.
<<

John Henneberfer

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 2876

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:13 am

Post Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

nibbler1982 wrote:The problem here is that people just aren’t educated about what constitutes a tribute band or not. It’s nobody’s fault. They just don’t know any better.

Under the Truth In Music legislation a band is considered “real”, “actual”, “legitimate”, official”, etc, if it meets either of these criteria.

1. the performing group owns the federal service mark registered with the U. S. Patent and Trademark Office.
2. at least one member of the performing group was a member of the recording group and has a legal right by use or operation under the group name without having abandoned it or affiliation with the group.

At this point if it doesn’t meet this criteria it is now considered a tribute or salute and must identify itself as so in all advertising and promotion.

Any of the reasons anyone might disagree with this definition is a moot point. Your OPINION is irrelevant. It’s like my dad calling the Los Angeles Dodgers the Brooklyn Dodgers. It’s just an emotional attachment you have to the subject matter. It has no bearing on the reality of the situation.

The current KISS lineup is KISS and not a tribute band. This is a fact, not opinion. End of discussion.

To call KISS a tribute band is an example of ignorance. When I say that it’s not an attack or insult to anyone here. Please believe that. This too is merely a fact. So for those that want to continue to embrace the ignorance feel free to do so. That’s your prerogative. Although it would be akin to saying 2+2=5.

ig·no·rance
/ˈiɡnərəns/
noun

lack of knowledge or information.
"he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"
synonyms: incomprehension of, unawareness of, unconsciousness of, unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about;

Nibbs...the Great Educator.


Considering that everyone was just being sarcastic and not literally asserting KISS is a tribute band, that was just an pointless protracted exercise in the joke going over your head in epic proportions. :P
<<

redinthesky

User avatar

Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Posts: 22404

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am

Post Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

poppytwist1 wrote:They used to have an Ape on guitar?



Not impressed. Nothing beats Godzilla on guitar.

Image
<<

poppytwist1

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Posts: 119

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:54 am

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 pm

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

redinthesky wrote:
poppytwist1 wrote:They used to have an Ape on guitar?



Not impressed. Nothing beats Godzilla on guitar.

Image


Oh no! There goes Tokyo!


Seriously, what was it? Words starting with A and ending in e that aren't Ace?

Their age? Their partaking, or not, of ale? The tone on Gene's Axe? A backstage intervention from Grandpa Simpson? Something they ate? That we are no longer in awe?

None of these seem conclusive.
Last edited by poppytwist1 on Sat May 19, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

SaintN'Sinner83

User avatar

Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Posts: 18449

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:00 pm

Location: Outta This World...while Inside the Vortex.

Post Sat May 19, 2018 1:18 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

kissjrj wrote:
Bad Company wrote:Do the legal documents say anything about KISS delivering bottom of the barrel quality and only caring about money at the expense of their fans?


That's between KISS and their fans. If they're having fun, it's quite literally none of your business.

Welcome to the FAQ.


Oh trust me...he's been here many, many times.
:lol:
<<

TGAH8183

User avatar

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Posts: 151

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Post Sat May 19, 2018 2:47 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

poppytwist1 wrote:
redinthesky wrote:
poppytwist1 wrote:They used to have an Ape on guitar?



Not impressed. Nothing beats Godzilla on guitar.

Image


Oh no! There goes Tokyo!


Seriously, what was it? Their age? Ale? Axe? Grandpa Simpson? Something they ate? That we are no longer in awe? None of these seem conclusive.


Age of course, I thought it was obvious. Especially comparing both Parasite clips above. Old age does that to you. There's a time to rock and a time to hang it up. Chuck Berry (RIP) sounded awful the last two decades but he couldn't quit. In the end people wanted their money back. That was no way to go out.

Look, Gene and Paul fought for that induction into the Hall of Fame and it happened in 2014. Why couldn't that have been enough for them? That would still be too late but now it's years ago. A live performance of two or thre songs by the originals was the perfect occasion. But no.
<<

Deuce1231

User avatar

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 2930

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Post Sat May 19, 2018 8:19 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! FA

kissjrj wrote:
Bad Company wrote:Do the legal documents say anything about KISS delivering bottom of the barrel quality and only caring about money at the expense of their fans?


That's between KISS and their fans. If they're having fun, it's quite literally none of your business.

Welcome to the FAQ.


And a swift goodbye... :lol:
<<

gene therapist

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Posts: 2506

Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:32 am

Post Sat May 19, 2018 8:24 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! Fa

Fartbone wrote:
they have two guys dressed up and acting like the original members (tribute band)


Acting like the original member = Tommy showing up late for gigs drunk. Smashing up cars wasted. Laughing hysterically at his own jokes.

Acting like the original character = Tommy copying Ace's licks and moves on stage. Not playing guitar better than Ace even though technically he would easily be able to.
<<

Ikons

User avatar

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Posts: 5049

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:07 pm

Post Sat May 19, 2018 10:40 am

Re: *FACT Irrefutable proof KISS is N-O-T a tribute band! Fa

gene therapist wrote:Acting like the original character = Tommy copying Ace's licks and moves on stage. Not playing guitar better than Ace even though technically he would easily be able to.


2018 Tommy does play better than 2018 Ace.
PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL KISS DISCUSSION



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software.