Unmasked... A bass player’s dream

<<

TGAH8183

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:53 am

Re: Unmasked... A bass player’s dream

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
TGAH8183 wrote:As english isn't your first language I can understand that you don't know the meaning of the word "parody".

As this is the second time you make an ignorant remark on the subject, the most logical assumption is that your account is a parody one, if only because the alternative is not as flattering.

As to English not being my first language, you're quite right on that; it's actually the fourth.

Well if it's only fourth behind portuguese, spanish and italian then I understand why you don't know the meaning of the word "parody". A hint, it's not a word used to describe someone you disagree with.

TGAH8183 wrote:Besides, who has the easiest job in band? The guitarist or guitarists who need to practice all the time for their fingers not to go stale? The singer who needs to take care of his voice because without it he has nothing? The drummer who needs to be in perfect physical shape to even get through a show or the bassist who basicly is only there for the ride if he's only playing bass? Not like John Paul Jones who also plays organ, piano, guitar (when Page played mandolin) etc.

Thunderous_Lay wrote:... Because John Paul Jones is the sole multi-instrumentalist in existence who played a meaningful role in a band, in addition to playing bass. I assume other guys such as Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, Les Claypool, Jaco Pastorius, Geezer Butler, Victor Wooten or Billy Sheehan are a figment of my imagination.

Do yourself a favour and try and educate yourself, lest you come across as a buffoon. Again.

Right, because all those bass players were more important than the guitarist, singer and drummer in the bands. Yup, Entwistle was more important than Townshend, Daltrey and Moon. Butler more important than Iommi, Ozzy and Bill Ward. I'll leave it at that...at least you could have mentioned Lemmy then your claim would make some sense. Now it's just laughable.
<<

AceySlade

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:02 am

TGAH8183 wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:
TGAH8183 wrote:As english isn't your first language I can understand that you don't know the meaning of the word "parody".

As this is the second time you make an ignorant remark on the subject, the most logical assumption is that your account is a parody one, if only because the alternative is not as flattering.

As to English not being my first language, you're quite right on that; it's actually the fourth.

Well if it's only fourth behind portuguese, spanish and italian then I understand why you don't know the meaning of the word "parody". A hint, it's not a word used to describe someone you disagree with.

TGAH8183 wrote:Besides, who has the easiest job in band? The guitarist or guitarists who need to practice all the time for their fingers not to go stale? The singer who needs to take care of his voice because without it he has nothing? The drummer who needs to be in perfect physical shape to even get through a show or the bassist who basicly is only there for the ride if he's only playing bass? Not like John Paul Jones who also plays organ, piano, guitar (when Page played mandolin) etc.

Peter Steele from Type O Negative

Thunderous_Lay wrote:... Because John Paul Jones is the sole multi-instrumentalist in existence who played a meaningful role in a band, in addition to playing bass. I assume other guys such as Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, Les Claypool, Jaco Pastorius, Geezer Butler, Victor Wooten or Billy Sheehan are a figment of my imagination.

Do yourself a favour and try and educate yourself, lest you come across as a buffoon. Again.

Right, because all those bass players were more important than the guitarist, singer and drummer in the bands. Yup, Entwistle was more important than Townshend, Daltrey and Moon. Butler more important than Iommi, Ozzy and Bill Ward. I'll leave it at that...at least you could have mentioned Lemmy then your claim would make some sense. Now it's just laughable.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:10 am

TGAH8183 wrote:Well if it's only fourth behind portugese, spanish and italian then I understand why you don't know the meaning of the word "parody". A hint, it's not a word used to describe someone you disagree with.

I think you meant to say "portuguese", and the other ones are spanish and french, in addition to english, the latter of which requires some polish on your part, apparently.

TGAH8183 wrote:Right, because all those bass players were more important than the guitarist, singer and drummer in the bands. Yup, Entwistle was more important than Townshend, Daltrey and Moon. Butler more important than Iommi, Ozzy and Bill Ward. I'll leave it at that...at least you could have mentioned Lemmy then your claim would make some sense. Now it's just laughable.

Yup... you are, without a shadow of doubt, a buffoon.

The sole reason I mentioned the folks in question is because their proficiency matched, rivaled or surpassed that of the people they played with, as opposed to someone like Lemmy Kilmister, who played bass as if it were a guitar, not to mention Lemmy isn't credited as the sole writer in Motörhead.

A more apt example would be Peter Steele of Type O Negative but even then, he'd be the first to admit he played bass as if it were a guitar as well; "another failure" and even then, his playing wasn't exactly overly complex.
<<

Ikons

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 am

banks wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:I think Gene's peak with KISS was the debut album.

After that, it's mostly luck of the draw whether or not it was he who played bass on any given track, with Carnival of Souls probably being the greatest offender.

He played on 90% of the "classic" albums from KISS to Love Gun so it's not that bad. His style is all over those songs.

I'm sure that 90% figure is highly inflated. Chances are that if Gene ain't singing on it, he ain't playing on it either.

There's just no basis to say that.

Right... of course not. :wink:

If you can provide that basis for me? I think I would have found out by now, because every credit on every song has been discussed to death on this site. Gene not playing on half the classic (1974-1977) KISS songs would be a pretty big bombshell. Might even get Trunk talking.

Look at Gene's track record... that is basis enough for my claim. It's been mostly just assumed by fans that Gene performs on many songs, but all evidence suggests that Gene's involvement in performing his traditional bass duties in the studio have been minimal. Gene is notorious for not getting along with others, and by all accounts he was worse when he was younger... I can only imagine what a nightmare working with Gene must have been c. 1974-1977 when he was especially consumed by and possessed with pussy. I mean, why waste time in the studio learning and recording Paul's preferred bass line for "Love Gun" when there's Diana Ross to be banging?

Well, fortunately THIS post is full of claims supported by hard evidence. :lol:

Of course there are tons of songs Gene didn't play on in the 80's, but the "Gene never played" folks say he didn't play on a Paul song even when there's evidence that says otherwise. (Crazy Crazy Nights, Rise To It and Master & Slave come to mind.) And when I point this out, I belong in the "naive people who believe Gene played on everything" group. :lol:

As for the 70's, the only claim I know of that there were tons of songs Gene didn't play on came from Peter. He said the songs will be in his book. When the book eventually came out, he said that Ace didn't even let Gene play bass in his songs on Dynasty and/or Unmasked. Ooh, what a bombshell. :lol:

Yeah, I really don't know where these people get this idea. I have never seen it confirmed once by band members or people close to the band that Gene only played on his own songs in the 70's. It's laughable.
<<

gene therapist

Post Sat May 19, 2018 8:40 am

Oh yes!

Not only the bass but the melodic songwriting and airy arrangements. Nicely breathing and economic guitar parts.
<<

The Fox

Post Sat May 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Ikons wrote:
banks wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:

After that, it's mostly luck of the draw whether or not it was he who played bass on any given track, with Carnival of Souls probably being the greatest offender.

He played on 90% of the "classic" albums from KISS to Love Gun so it's not that bad. His style is all over those songs.

I'm sure that 90% figure is highly inflated. Chances are that if Gene ain't singing on it, he ain't playing on it either.

If you can provide that basis for me? I think I would have found out by now, because every credit on every song has been discussed to death on this site. Gene not playing on half the classic (1974-1977) KISS songs would be a pretty big bombshell. Might even get Trunk talking.

Look at Gene's track record... that is basis enough for my claim. It's been mostly just assumed by fans that Gene performs on many songs, but all evidence suggests that Gene's involvement in performing his traditional bass duties in the studio have been minimal. Gene is notorious for not getting along with others, and by all accounts he was worse when he was younger... I can only imagine what a nightmare working with Gene must have been c. 1974-1977 when he was especially consumed by and possessed with pussy. I mean, why waste time in the studio learning and recording Paul's preferred bass line for "Love Gun" when there's Diana Ross to be banging?

Of course there are tons of songs Gene didn't play on in the 80's, but the "Gene never played" folks say he didn't play on a Paul song even when there's evidence that says otherwise. (Crazy Crazy Nights, Rise To It and Master & Slave come to mind.) And when I point this out, I belong in the "naive people who believe Gene played on everything" group. :lol:

As for the 70's, the only claim I know of that there were tons of songs Gene didn't play on came from Peter. He said the songs will be in his book. When the book eventually came out, he said that Ace didn't even let Gene play bass in his songs on Dynasty and/or Unmasked. Ooh, what a bombshell. :lol:

Yeah, I really don't know where these people get this idea. I have never seen it confirmed once by band members or people close to the band that Gene only played on his own songs in the 70's. It's laughable.

Yeah right, it's completely laughable to think that Gene didn't play on many songs when all this evidence and interviews have surfaced stating that Gene rarely participated in the studio. From Paul admitting that he suffers from "demoitis" to Ace saying that he played bass on many of his own songs to Peter and producers stating that Gene didn't play much.

Obviously the claim on this board that Gene hasn't played on much of the Kiss catalog dating from the 70s is complete absurdity. :roll:
<<

Ikons

Post Sun May 20, 2018 1:20 am

The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
banks wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:

Yeah right, it's completely laughable to think that Gene didn't play on many songs when all this evidence and interviews have surfaced stating that Gene rarely participated in the studio. From Paul admitting that he suffers from "demoitis" to Ace saying that he played bass on many of his own songs to Peter and producers stating that Gene didn't play much.

Obviously the claim on this board that Gene hasn't played on much of the Kiss catalog dating from the 70s is complete absurdity. :roll:

It's absurdity because you have zero facts to back it up. We've known that Ace played bass on his own tracks for years. We've known that Paul played bass on a few of his tracks for years. We've known about what tracks Gene did and did not play on in the 80's for years. If it was such common knowledge that Gene barely did shit in the 70's, we would know.
<<

banks

Post Sun May 20, 2018 1:43 am

The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
banks wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Ikons wrote:

Which producers?

And if Paul suffers from "demoitis", then the reason for Gene not playing in Paul's songs wouldn't have been that he was banging Diana Ross, right? (You mentioned Love Gun, the song, in your moving Diana Ross story.) Your theory still needs a bit of work here and there. The inconstistencies are getting hilarious.

And, again, which producers?
Previous

Return to GENERAL KISS DISCUSSION