Help  •  Register  •  Login

Is there hope for a KISS biopic? (Re: new Queen movie)

<<

SaintN'Sinner83

Might as well be the Admin!

Post Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Re: Is there hope for a KISS biopic? (Re: new Queen movie)

The actor playing Ace would have it easy - Gene would just tell him "Do nothing."
<<

Bad Company

Banned
Banned

Post Thu May 17, 2018 11:30 pm

Nobody cares about KISS outside of a very small bubble. This would tank at the box office.
<<

CrissPeters

Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:21 am

A KISS biopic would be a fantastic subject for a film, visually as well as the ‘underdog makes good’ angle. Not to mention, Gene’s angle alone is the ultimate immigrant success story. However, and I say this respectfully and as a fan, Gene and Paul would have to step aside and lessen the hold on the reins a bit. Which, being in control as they are, I don’t see happening. Hell, even this Queen project is rumoured to be a pretty sanitized version of their story. And also it’s taken a long time because the band originally held on too tightly to their ideas and wanted the film to also cover their post-Mercury career, which no one (but them) wanted. In fact, it’s said that’s why Sascha Baron Cohen left the project. I believe he said in the first draft of the script, his character (Freddie) dies half way into the film. Like...really? One thing I can say, judging by the trailer, it will at the very least be visually stunning.

I’m afraid KISS (Paul in particular) are far too conscious of image to allow a fair, honest portrayal to happen. Which is a true shame, as it’s an amazing story from an amazing time in music history. Maybe this Queen film will set a precedent and change how these films are done. It’ll be interesting to see...the Motley film THE DIRT is another I’ll be watching closely.

One thing’s for sure, a properly done KISS biopic would be incredible.
Last edited by CrissPeters on Fri May 18, 2018 6:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
<<

highvoltage1969

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:17 am

In the Suds wrote:I disagree. Spinal Tap is one of the funniest movies ever made. And the outtakes are just as funny as the actual movie.

I agree, and i think it's funnier still if you've ever been in a band, even just a high school one. It's very well observed and as a mockumentary it's not played for laughs, the absurdity and ridiculousness of the situations is what makes it for me: the nuance, facial expressions, the one liners, it's quite subtle sometimes. Those guys are excellent actors. There's anecdotal evidence to suggest that, on release, lots of people thought it was a genuine documentary and that The Tap were a real band, I can totally believe that.

The outtake where jeanine hires a young, hot wiz-kid replacement for Nigel, without informing David, is one of my favourites. The scene where Jeanine holds a meeting to discuss her new horoscope, character based concept for the band makes me laugh every time.

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaYvCgj-sYw
<<

elleneff

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:21 am

In the Suds wrote:I disagree. Spinal Tap is one of the funniest movies ever made. And the outtakes are just as funny as the actual movie.

I do recall Gene being quoted at the time that he didn't find it funny at all. Couldn't see what was funny in it as this was all stuff that happened to them.

Why not just increase Unmasked by one and make it The Elder?
<<

John800

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Fri May 18, 2018 3:47 am

I think a KISS biopic could be done well, but I think it would need a director who would be allowed control and to take creative liberties. I remember watching a Def Leppard biopic that VH1 Classic did and for a low budget TV film that took some creative choices, it turned out ok; I was really surprised. But, I agree that I don't think this is something that would do well in the box office. A Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or even YouTube Red could be a better choice.
<<

In the Suds

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Fri May 18, 2018 5:13 am

highvoltage1969 wrote:

I agree, and i think it's funnier still if you've ever been in a band, even just a high school one. It's very well observed and as a mockumentary it's not played for laughs, the absurdity and ridiculousness of the situations is what makes it for me: the nuance, facial expressions, the one liners, it's quite subtle sometimes. Those guys are excellent actors. There's anecdotal evidence to suggest that, on release, lots of people thought it was a genuine documentary and that The Tap were a real band, I can totally believe that.

The outtake where jeanine hires a young, hot wiz-kid replacement for Nigel, without informing David, is one of my favourites. The scene where Jeanine holds a meeting to discuss her new horoscope, character based concept for the band makes me laugh every time.

I saw it in the theater the week it came out and I knew it was a comedy before I went in, but I can remember seeing the early commercials and thinking 'wtf is this?' Because they didn't say. All the advertising played it totally straight like it was a real thing.

I agree it's subtle sometimes and there are a lot of tossed off or buried lines you miss the first time...or first several times even. And just the way they say things. Like in that clip there where David goes ' sort of a yin yang sort of look' :lol:

Another thing that I think makes it so rewatchable is that every person in it is funny. Not just the main guys. My favorite outtake doesn't have any Tap guys at all

Mime is money

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW1ehXgiuvo
<<

Crown Royal

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post Fri May 18, 2018 5:15 am

Spinal Tap, like Goodfellas, is 'must-see' viewing everytime it's on.

I've seen each a hundred times, it seems, but can't turn it when they are on.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:07 am

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote:The actor playing Ace would have it easy - Gene would just tell him "Do nothing."

ACK.

:lol: :lol:
<<

Vandelay Industries

Post Fri May 18, 2018 6:47 am

CrissPeters wrote:A KISS biopic would be a fantastic subject for a film, visually as well as the ‘underdog makes good’ angle. Not to mention, Gene’s angle alone is the ultimate immigrant success story. However, and I say this respectfully and as a fan, Gene and Paul would have to step aside and lessen the hold on the reins a bit. Which, being in control as they are, I don’t see happening. Hell, even this Queen project is rumoured to be a pretty sanitized version of their story. And also it’s taken a long time because the band originally saw the film covering their post-Mercury career, which no one (but them) wanted. In fact, it’s said that’s why Sascha Baron Cohen left the project. However, judging by the trailer, it will at the very least be visually stunning.

I’m afraid KISS (Paul in particular) are far too conscious of image to allow a fair, honest portrayal to happen. Which is a true shame, as it’s an amazing story from an amazing time in music history. Maybe this Queen film will set a precedent and change how these films are done. It’ll be interesting to see...the Motley film THE DIRT is another I’ll be watching closely.

One things for sure, a properly done KISS biopic would be incredible.

Thing is, a properly done Kiss biopic might get approval by fans, but it'd be terrible to anyone else. What angle could possibly get a rooting interest by viewers? "This idea isn't making us rich enough, so let's try this other idea instead"? Yeah, that won't go over so well, not in a non-documentary anyway lol....they'd almost HAVE to make it a bullshit story, just to rein in an audience.

I'm interested in the Queen movie, but Brian & Roger have a death grip with creative control, so I expect to be entertained alot more than properly educated.
<<

battra

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:07 am

redinthesky wrote:It's worth a viewing, but the concept is much, much funnier than the actual movie. There are some funny and clever scenes, but it definitely is not the side-splitting dose of hilarity that it has somehow become known as. But it's good for a one-time watch. After that, people usually just jump to their favorite scenes because watching the entire film for a second time is not easy.

Watching Spinal Tap is a lot like doing crystal meth...it'll never be as good as that first time. :)

I think in 2018, it's just not as funny as it was in 1983 or whatever it was because the veil of mystique has been ripped away.

Still worth an occasional viewing...like once or twice a decade...
<<

Vandelay Industries

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:17 am

battra wrote:
redinthesky wrote:It's worth a viewing, but the concept is much, much funnier than the actual movie. There are some funny and clever scenes, but it definitely is not the side-splitting dose of hilarity that it has somehow become known as. But it's good for a one-time watch. After that, people usually just jump to their favorite scenes because watching the entire film for a second time is not easy.

Watching Spinal Tap is a lot like doing crystal meth...it'll never be as good as that first time. :)

I think in 2018, it's just not as funny as it was in 1983 or whatever it was because the veil of mystique has been ripped away.

It's not a gut-buster (although there are several LOL moments), but I still appreciate its oft-subtle wry humor. But yeah, it's not for everyone. This woman I'm friends with, she's stuck in the 80's metal scene, and the whole movie went right over her head, probably because the events portrayed were too status quo for her :)
<<

battra

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:24 am

Vandelay Industries wrote:
battra wrote:

It's not a gut-buster (although there are several LOL moments), but I still appreciate its oft-subtle wry humor. But yeah, it's not for everyone. This woman I'm friends with, she's stuck in the 80's metal scene, and the whole movie went right over her head, probably because the events portrayed were too status quo for her :)

I had the same issue with A Mighty Wind...it gets less funny each time.

When those movies were made...celebrities were shown to us as gods among men, perfect in every way, pure geniuses who lived golden lives....not as flawed human beings with follies.

So, seeing those movies now...it's not lampooning anything like they once did.
<<

Crimson Harpoon

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:29 am

There's no huge audience for these things to begin with. Only The Doors made any kind of a splash, and that was due more to it being an Oliver Stone film and Val Kilmer than anything else. A KISS biopic would fall flatter than a single sheet of loose-leaf under a tank's treads.
<<

elleneff

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:55 am

Crimson Harpoon wrote:There's no huge audience for these things to begin with. Only The Doors made any kind of a splash, and that was due more to it being an Oliver Stone film and Val Kilmer than anything else. A KISS biopic would fall flatter than a single sheet of loose-leaf under a tank's treads.

The Doors Movie got a LOT of attention.
But its didn't make any movie. It made back less around what it cost.
Cost $38M- made $34.4M

Im sure overseas and Tv and retail sales helped it break even. But even Stone and Kilmer at that time didn't help. The numbers suggests it played to fans of the band and no more. It didn't open to the general audience. 33M US records sold and 100M WW
Niche market.
<<

Bad Company

Banned
Banned

Post Fri May 18, 2018 8:33 am

Part of the problem is that KISS are just not known for their songs. Most people couldn't name 5 KISS songs with a gun to their head, so there is no story here of an underdog band that wrote great songs and had the biggest rock show on Earth as well.

KISS is viewed by the masses as all style and no substance that is motivated by limitless greed and that's not exactly worth celebrating in a biopic movie. It's not really an inspiring story.

For a big biopic movie, you also need to be able to sell the music as the Queen movie will do obviously both in the film and for the soundtrack, which people will buy. KISS just don't have the songs that the general public will give a shit about at all if these songs are truly the very best of KISS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Very_ ... ck_listing

Even when KISS songs appear on movie soundtracks, they always seem so out of place with the rest of the songs on the soundtrack. It's like all these classic great songs and then Lick It Up or something.

A documentary would be great if not controlled by Paul and Gene, but a feature film biopic would just be flushing money down the toilet even if Scorcese was directing and Aaron Sorkin wrote the script. No one cares about KISS beyond a tiny demographic.
<<

redinthesky

Post Fri May 18, 2018 9:29 am

highvoltage1969 wrote:

I've read over the years that there's both 4-hour and near-5-hour workprints out there somewhere, just as a rare footage fan I'd love to see those. A few things have leaked out on youtube but nothing near complete.
<<

lord71

2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:09 am

Bad Company wrote:Nobody cares about KISS outside of a very small bubble. This would tank at the box office.

C'Mon. At the end it's all about the script.

Surely there are lot's of excellent hooks in KISS history to put out a biagraphy. It's all about dram anyway...and there is a lot's of that.h
<<

battra

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:36 am

We're talking about a band that wasn't popular enough for a Behind The Music.

They had a look back at When Kiss Ruled The World...but that's it...

No Rockumentary, etc....
<<

Bad Company

Banned
Banned

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:44 am

lord71 wrote:
Bad Company wrote:Nobody cares about KISS outside of a very small bubble. This would tank at the box office.

Surely there are lot's of excellent hooks in KISS history to put out a biagraphy. It's all about dram anyway...and there is a lot's of that.h

The story of KISS is boring to anyone who doesn't already love KISS. There just isn't a movie here for a band like KISS, even with the best script writers. I know it's hard for people here to accept, but most people think KISS is one of the worst bands to grace this planet. To them, you might as well be saying - how about a biopic about Poison.
<<

redinthesky

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:46 am

battra wrote:We're talking about a band that wasn't popular enough for a Behind The Music.

No Rockumentary, etc....

I think the only way Kiss will have a biopic of some sorts is possibly way down the line, if the band becomes "fashionable" to like, kind of exactly how in the past few years it's become very fashionable to praise Freddie Mercury to high Heaven. So many of these people probably don't even know Freddie has solo albums.

Truthfully, I think down the line Gene has a better shot at a biopic than Kiss itself. That would be a far more interesting movie IMO.
<<

battra

Post Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 am

redinthesky wrote:
battra wrote:We're talking about a band that wasn't popular enough for a Behind The Music.

No Rockumentary, etc....

I think the only way Kiss will have a biopic of some sorts is possibly way down the line, if the band becomes "fashionable" to like, kind of exactly how in the past few years it's become very fashionable to praise Freddie Mercury to high Heaven. So many of these people probably don't even know Freddie has solo albums.

Truthfully, I think down the line Gene has a better shot at a biopic than Kiss itself. That would be a far more interesting movie IMO.

I can't see a way for Kiss to get a bio pic.

I mean...ask yourself, and this isn't about Kiss...but how many rock bio pics (or any music bios even) are in your top 20 movies?

The only one I own is Walk The Line because it was in the $5 closeout bin at Target. $5? That's basically the same price as late fees.

Straight Outta Compton was powerful as fuck, but I'm not gonna buy it.

The Doors, hell the surviving Doors hated it.

But ya know...let's open this up...

How many BIO pics do you have sitting on your shelf?

The only other I've got is Man On The Moon.
<<

In the Suds

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:04 pm

No Rockumentary, etc....

They could have done a Behind the Music. I always suspected the reason they did a kind fake one with Beyond the Makeup, was that VH1 wouldn't give them control on a Behind the Music, and G & P wouldn't do it without. Just a guess but probably a pretty good one.
<<

battra

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:16 pm

In the Suds wrote:

No Rockumentary, etc....

They could have done a Behind the Music. I always suspected the reason they did a kind fake one with Beyond the Makeup, was that VH1 wouldn't give them control on a Behind the Music, and G & P wouldn't do it without. Just a guess but probably a pretty good one.

Of course VH-1 could have, but they decided not to.

If Gene and Paul demanded control of someone else's property, that's a damned good reason to say sit and spin.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:18 pm

lord71 wrote:

Just have a look at the Vinyl TV series. The difference would be, at best, negligible.

Bobby Cannavale even reminds me of Gene when he was younger.
<<

Bad Company

Banned
Banned

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Even the film about the band Strange Fruit is more interesting than a biopic about KISS.

:)
<<

HOFCity

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Most replies have been negative towards a KISS biopic / and that's putting it nicely.

And for this being a KISS message board and a fan of KISS / I just don't get it.

KISS' legacy is boring and noone would care about it.

^^^^ That basically makes fun of all of us who have been devoted fans of this band. If it would flop , so what , I would still love to see it come to life on the big screen.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Bad Company wrote:Even the film about the band Strange Fruit is more interesting than a biopic about KISS.

That movie made me a Bill Nighy fan for life at the time...
<<

redinthesky

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:32 pm

battra wrote:
redinthesky wrote:

No Rockumentary, etc....

I can't see a way for Kiss to get a bio pic.

I mean...ask yourself, and this isn't about Kiss...but how many rock bio pics (or any music bios even) are in your top 20 movies?

The only one I own is Walk The Line because it was in the $5 closeout bin at Target. $5? That's basically the same price as late fees.

Straight Outta Compton was powerful as fuck, but I'm not gonna buy it.

The Doors, hell the surviving Doors hated it.

But ya know...let's open this up...

How many BIO pics do you have sitting on your shelf?

The only other I've got is Man On The Moon.

To me, biopics are really good "TV movie of the week" type movies. I think when this Freddie movie a.k.a. 70's costume show totally flops, it's gonna put a halt on anything that may be on the table.
<<

Bad Company

Banned
Banned

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:35 pm

HOFCity wrote:Most replies have been negative towards a KISS biopic / and that's putting it nicely.

And for this being a KISS message board and a fan of KISS / I just don't get it.

^^^^ That basically makes fun of all of us who have been devoted fans of this band. If it would flop , so what , I would still love to see it come to life on the big screen.

You can be a fan of something and still be objective or acknowledge that while YOU may like something, you understand why the masses don't. KISS just isn't one of the greatest bands ever if we compare them to their classic rock contemporaries. In fact, it's fair to say that they have released more bad albums than good in their career.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm

HOFCity wrote:Most replies have been negative towards a KISS biopic / and that's putting it nicely.

If you're not concerned with the prospect of the movie flopping, I have a solution for you: finance it, then.
<<

In the Suds

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 pm

I think their story is very interesting, especially the early part. But I don't think it has wide enough appeal for a big movie. You say so what if it flops, but for people that make these things that's not so unimportant.
<<

battra

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:46 pm

My point is that Kiss doesn't have a compelling story...

Other bands I love that I have no interest in a biopic:

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Slayer, etc.

Bands I'd read a book on...all of them.
<<

battra

Post Fri May 18, 2018 12:48 pm

redinthesky wrote:To me, biopics are really good "TV movie of the week" type movies. I think when this Freddie movie a.k.a. 70's costume show totally flops, it's gonna put a halt on anything that may be on the table.

Good point.

I've never seen a single rock bio in the theater.

I've never purchased a soundtrack.

Watch them if they're on? Sure.

But that's about as far as it goes for me. This Queen/Freddie movie...

If I ever see it, I'd be surprised and that's before I found out they're glossing over Freddie's sexuality and the AIDS crisis. I'm just not that into Queen really.

As excited as I was for Straight Outta Compton, I didn't see it in the theater or even rent it from Red Box, I got it at the library.
<<

Bad Company

Banned
Banned

Post Fri May 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Ironically a movie about KISS would be far more interesting and potentially worth a biopic if KISS ended in 1979. Then there is an underdog lightning in a bottle story to tell about the original band. KISS existing for over 40 years actually works against the band, because they have ruined their own legacy by not caring about quality and only caring about money.

A story of greed and mediocrity isn't an inspiring movie.
Last edited by Bad Company on Fri May 18, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

scotty_rhoads

Stockholder in KISS Corp.

Post Fri May 18, 2018 5:08 pm

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
Planet of the Ace wrote:Only is it was about the formative years would it even be interesting. Would want to wait until Paul and Gene are gone so they can't manipulate the truth.

Fact remains this Queen movie will be focused, first and foremost, on Freddie, who is, I dare say, universally revered and well-known.

KISS definitely fails to have an equivalent.

thats not true, but it is how sacha cohen wanted the movie to be. they chose to focus on highlights of queen instead of everything which is what a bio pic should be.
<<

Vandelay Industries

Post Fri May 18, 2018 5:53 pm

battra wrote:

My point is that Kiss doesn't have a compelling story...

Other bands I love that I have no interest in a biopic:

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Slayer, etc.

Bands I'd read a book on...all of them.

I'd totally be intrigued in a Syd Barrett biopic, but the ratio of facts to urban legends could be in question :)
<<

mybliesad

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:23 pm

Crimson Harpoon wrote:There's no huge audience for these things to begin with. Only The Doors made any kind of a splash, and that was due more to it being an Oliver Stone film and Val Kilmer than anything else. A KISS biopic would fall flatter than a single sheet of loose-leaf under a tank's treads.

Not if they had a famous director and famous actors in it. But I doubt seriously that would happen. If it were a movie people who knew little about Kiss went to then it would boost the popularity of Kiss.
<<

Frehley's Vomit

Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Bad Company wrote:Even the film about the band Strange Fruit is more interesting than a biopic about KISS.

Hey man, great movie.
<<

Bad Company

Banned
Banned

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Frehley's Vomit wrote:

Hey man, great movie.

Sure is. Great soundtrack too.
PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL KISS DISCUSSION