Favorite Ezrin Album

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

What is your favorite Bob Ezrin produced album?

Destroyer
58%
The Elder
25%
Revenge
16%

Total votes: 158

black diamond
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Favorite Ezrin Album

Post by black diamond »

Bob Ezrin produced three very different KISS albums. There is no question about which one was the most successful, but that's not what I'm asking here. Not talking purely production, but the album as a whole, which one is your personal favorite and why? I am not including Destroyer: Resurrected here; if that's your favorite, simply vote Destroyer.
goinblind
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Favorite Ezrin Album

Post by goinblind »

Destroyer by a mile. It had vision and was a successful vision. Based on the demos for "Detroit Rock City" and "Beth," we know he did his job as producer by pushing for better songwriting, developing better arrangements, etc.

The other two albums have too many outright terrible songs (The Elder) or generic filler (Revenge). The vision for The Elder was the worst example of coke-induced folly in music history, and Revenge is relatively uninspired.
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

My fav Ezrin produced album is Revenge
My least fave Ezrin produced album The Elder
The album I listen to Most of the 3 is The Elder
Destroyer is Overrated in all aspects aside from the cover
8)
battra
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by battra »

Elder by a country mile.

It's the only one of the three I'd be interested in hearing it all the way through.
kenn.ace
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by kenn.ace »

black diamond wrote:Bob Ezrin produced three very different KISS albums. There is no question about which one was the most successful, but that's not what I'm asking here. Not talking purely production, but the album as a whole, which one is your personal favorite and why? I am not including Destroyer: Resurrected here; if that's your favorite, simply vote Destroyer.
Destroyer. The Elder is complete garbage, and Revenge has only about 5 good songs on it.
deleteduser20210208
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by deleteduser20210208 »

The Elder.

In fact it's my favourite KISS album. Destroyer is up there too, probably my second or 3rd favourite.
Revenge is fairly low on the list. It's a good sounding record, but generally the songs don't amount to much. It's highly rated (overrated IMO), I think because it followed a series of very lacklustre albums and was a minor improvement.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Revenge.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

Elder. Without a shadow of doubt.

Destroyer and Revenge are like a mixed bag to me, production-wise, while Elder feels a lot more focused overall.
battra

Post by battra »

Thunderous_Lay wrote:Elder. Without a shadow of doubt.

Destroyer and Revenge are like a mixed bag to me, production-wise, while Elder feels a lot more focused overall.
All three albums have amazing sonics, but that's more engineering than production.

2 of the 3 have a lot of shitty songs....then there's Elder...the goofy, off the wall little album that couldn't...but it's still so much fun!
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:Elder. Without a shadow of doubt.

All three albums have amazing sonics, but that's more engineering than production.

2 of the 3 have a lot of shitty songs....then there's Elder...the goofy, off the wall little album that couldn't...but it's still so much fun!
I used to think that when I was younger - particularly in regards to Destroyer - but over the years, the uneven songwriting combined with the uneven production, compounded by Ezrin's tacked-on effects on Destroyer, leave a sour taste for me.

At least Elder feels like a even, finished product, instead of trying to be multiple things, all at once.
LoveGuns

Post by LoveGuns »

Gonna have to go with Destroyer but I also absolutely love The Elder
goinblind

Post by goinblind »

A lot of people looking back at The Elder with coke-colored glasses
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

goinblind wrote:A lot of people looking back at The Elder with coke-colored glasses
There was a lot of coke going around during the Destroyer sessions too, BTW...
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

Love all three of them but Destroyer casts a long shadow over the other two

Destroyer gets my vote
deleteduser20210208
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

goinblind wrote:A lot of people looking back at The Elder with coke-colored glasses
Personal tastes are a wonderful thing.

For me The Elder had some pretty solid precendence when it came out, so it never really stood out too much, in fact I thought it was a vast improvement over the previous album.
I was too young to be doing anything other than coca cola at the time it was released.
It struck a chord with me then, pretty much loved it at the time and it really hasn't dimmed over the years.
I kinda understand why folks don't like it, but I also like to mention, at least musically, there were pretty solid hints throughout their career up to that point as to some of the musical directions appeared on The Elder.
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

I liked "Revenge" because it was a much needed "kick in the ass" after "Shit In The Shade"...
..and Ezrin brought out the best in the band...

..but I picked "Destroyer". :mrgreen:

Post by 67321 »

drc76
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by drc76 »

Not a huge fan of Revenge. It's okay. Destroyer and The Elder were close but got to go with Destroyer. I love the one-two punch of DRC and KOTNTW.
*Chameleon*
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by *Chameleon* »

1. The Elder
2. Destroyer
3. Revenge
KISSworld1972

Post by KISSworld1972 »

The Revenge of The Elder Destroyers.

I like all 3 for various reasons, but have to ultimately go with Destroyer.
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

1. Destroyer
2. Revenge

The Elder
Crimson Harpoon
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crimson Harpoon »

Destroyer
The Elder
Revenge
5/325
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by 5/325 »

Destroyer by a mile.
The other two albums never should have been made and will fade even further into the abyss as time goes on.
Gotta give Ezrin credit for helping to make 3 COMPLETELY different sounding records though.
deleteduser20210208
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

LoveGuns wrote:Gonna have to go with Destroyer but I also absolutely love The Elder
Good to see you mate!
Kisstanbul
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kisstanbul »

LoveGuns wrote:Gonna have to go with Destroyer but I also absolutely love The Elder
+1
ludzil

Post by ludzil »

KrazySwede wrote:1. Destroyer
2. Revenge

The Elder
This.
Gona
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Gona »

The Elder

Masterpiece
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

DESTROYER
SaintN'Sinner83
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

Sheesh, Revenge really takes a beating on this forum.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Love all 3. All 3 would be in my Top 10. I wish there was more Ezrin produced albums in the catalogue... which there would have been if he was available more often!

But gotta be Destroyer. Ambitious, theyre stretching themselves, they're upping their game... It's KISS' own A NIght At The Opera.. Really puzzles me that there are some here that dont rate it.. But each to their own..
douloveme
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by douloveme »

The Elder. No question about it. It's a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Majestic, bold, ambitious and sounds beautiful.
That said, Destroyer is a stone cold classic too.... but overrated, no doubt.
Revenge? A handful of great songs. But too many clunkers weigh it down. I will say it is a beautiful sounding record though. Song for song, I think HITS is better than Revenge. I just wish HITS sounded like Revenge....
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

It is a toss up between Destroyer and Revenge. Love both equally. Love the songs on Revenge, no filler all great. Bruce's playing is great, Gene really brought everything to the table on that album. Eric's drumming was awesome, wish he sounded a bit more like that today. Paul was great on Revenge also.

Destroyer is the awsome classic that it Is and gave us many great songs! The first "KISS Metal" album in my opinion. I can listen to these two albums anytime.

Now as for the Elder, well I liked World With Out Hero's when it was played on MTV Unplugged. It is not an album I can just play anytime. Have to be in the mood to listen to it.

I voted for Revenge to give that album some love. Can't believe that it is way in the bottom of the votes. I don't get it, crazy, does not get more love on the FAQ.
ypke

Post by ypke »

Revenge easily, it's great sounding and most songs are great too. The whole band shines, very cool. Definitly deserves my vote.

Destroyer is great too, but not an album that I give a lot of spin, though it contains some signature songs. Overall it's really good, but not all great in my book (probably in part something to do with my dislike of the original Beth...).

The Elder I find interesting and sometimes great depending on my mood. But not one I put on often. It's not bad persé, justnot what I want from a Kiss record. Where the 2 above are.
battra

Post by battra »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote:Sheesh, Revenge really takes a beating on this forum.
It did not age well.

But it is funny to read about how the image was contrived....(On a Kiss forum...)
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

brokentiny wrote:The Elder.

In fact it's my favourite KISS album. Destroyer is up there too, probably my second or 3rd favourite.
Revenge is fairly low on the list. It's a good sounding record, but generally the songs don't amount to much. It's highly rated (overrated IMO), I think because it followed a series of very lacklustre albums and was a minor improvement.
I dont think Revenge is highly rated on the FAQ, going by the poll and past threads, but defentley highly rated with me :D I got to get back to work before I get in trouble, FAQ is my addiction, lol.
WI KISSfan

Post by WI KISSfan »

Destroyer by a long shot.
Crimson Harpoon
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crimson Harpoon »

bassmansteiny wrote:
brokentiny wrote:The Elder.

I dont think Revenge is highly rated on the FAQ, going by the poll and past threads, but defentley highly rated with me :D I got to get back to work before I get in trouble, FAQ is my addiction, lol.
Things like that move in cycles around here. Not too long ago, Revenge was the darling of the FAQ. There was a time it would have been handily winning this poll. Give it time and everybody here will be singing it's praises once again. Me personally, I never thought much of it. Yeah, it's got a few good enough songs, but the overall vibe of Revenge... I just ain't feelin' it.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

Phyllis Simmons wrote:Love all 3. All 3 would be in my Top 10. I wish there was more Ezrin produced albums in the catalogue... which there would have been if he was available more often!

But gotta be Destroyer. Ambitious, theyre stretching themselves, they're upping their game... It's KISS' own A NIght At The Opera.. Really puzzles me that there are some here that dont rate it.. But each to their own..
To each its own but in my book, The Elder is Kiss' equivalent of Queen's Night At The Opera.
KISS#1

Post by KISS#1 »

Destroyer
battra

Post by battra »

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
Phyllis Simmons wrote:Love all 3. All 3 would be in my Top 10. I wish there was more Ezrin produced albums in the catalogue... which there would have been if he was available more often!

To each its own but in my book, The Elder is Kiss' equivalent of Queen's Night At The Opera.
Is A Night At The Opera a concept or thematic album and I've just missed it lo this many years?
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

Is A Night At The Opera a concept or thematic album and I've just missed it lo this many years?
A Night At The Opera is a fantastic album while The Elder is terrible. I would not compare the two.
battra

Post by battra »

kenn.ace wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

A Night At The Opera is a fantastic album while The Elder is terrible. I would not compare the two.
That really doesn't answer my question though.

If you change the lyrics from sword and sorcery to banging and drinking...The Elder is a Kiss Classic.

Somehow...bands that dress up like aliens, demons, foxes, cats, Egyptian Warriors, and whatever the hell Paul Stanley is...just can't be taken seriously if they sing about fantasy for some reason.
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

battra wrote:
kenn.ace wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

That really doesn't answer my question though.

If you change the lyrics from sword and sorcery to banging and drinking...The Elder is a Kiss Classic.

Somehow...bands that dress up like aliens, demons, foxes, cats, Egyptian Warriors, and whatever the hell Paul Stanley is...just can't be taken seriously if they sing about fantasy for some reason.
I don't think A Night At The Opera is a concept or thematic album. It has a couple of songs that I guess have an opera concept, but I don't think most of the album does.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

I fail to see the connection. Do albums need to be concept albums in order for you to compare them...?
battra

Post by battra »

kenn.ace wrote: I don't think A Night At The Opera is a concept or thematic album. It has a couple of songs that I guess have an opera concept, but I don't think most of the album does.
I ask because I frequently see that Queen album compared to other bands' concept albums...

It wouldn't be the first time I missed that something was a concept album..haha.
battra

Post by battra »

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

I fail to see the connection. Do albums need to be concept albums in order for you to compare them...?
As in the previous post, I routinely see this Queen album compared to concept albums.

So, I was curious if I missed something...which wouldn't be the first time.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

As in the previous post, I routinely see this Queen album compared to concept albums.

So, I was curious if I missed something...which wouldn't be the first time.
Ohhhhh, right.

8) :lol:

Regardless, I'm unaware of Queen ever releasing a concept album with a narrative. I reinforced the connection earlier because I believe both albums are their respective bands apex, from an artsy standpoint.
KISSTRONAUT
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

I like all 3 albums. Destroyer sets on top.
Kissologist
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Kissologist »

All of Ezrin work it's good but having to choose just one I'll stick with The Elder, warts and all.
It's closer at my heart for the memories it brings :)
steve

Post by steve »

The Elder is the best album KISS ever made.

Revenge is a solid return to form after the trend chasing of Crazy Nights and the 'bugger it, this'll do' approach of HITS.

Destroyer is vastly overrated apart from DRC, God Of Thunder and Shout It Out Loud.