Gene's Box Set - 10 CDs, in October, and opener revelead

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Erwin
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Gene's Box Set - 10 CDs, in October, and opener revelead

Post by Erwin »

Crimson Harpoon wrote:
Erwin wrote:$10.000 ÷ 150 demos =

:twisted: $66.6666666667 :twisted: per demo.

A financial model that works!

:arrow:
If Gene thinks anyone is actually going to pay $10k for a box set of his demos, he is utterly delusional. The only way this is a financial model that could be successful would be if selling a grand total of one covers the cost of production.
Round two of Gene vs the pirates :bom:
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

Erwin wrote:
Crimson Harpoon wrote:
Erwin wrote:$10.000 ÷ 150 demos =

:twisted: $66.6666666667 :twisted: per demo.

A financial model that works!

:arrow:
If Gene thinks anyone is actually going to pay $10k for a box set of his demos, he is utterly delusional. The only way this is a financial model that could be successful would be if selling a grand total of one covers the cost of production.
Round two of Gene vs the pirates :bom:
My money is on the pirates. They haven't really lost thus far.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Anybody who believes it is going to be $10K is out of their mind. No chance in hell.
txmikey
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by txmikey »

Crimson Harpoon wrote: If Gene thinks anyone is actually going to pay $10k for a box set of his demos, he is utterly delusional. The only way this is a financial model that could be successful would be if selling a grand total of one covers the cost of production.
Agreed. He's said and done some ridiculous things, but asking ten grand for demos would take the cake.

He'd have to throw in a signed axe bass and a date with Sophie to get any serious consideration.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

StarChildBlade wrote:
Ace_Invader wrote:Where did this "$10k" pricetag rumor come from?
Me. And it's not a rumor. This is real info from a friend of mine who works with the agency that shopped Gene's proposal to record labels. Rhino signed on.
I'm calling BS
kiss-1976
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kiss-1976 »

This kind of thing really shows up the crap Gene spews with his we hear & we obey, the fans are the bosses et al...
The monster of all box sets was supposed to have the Eddie & Alex VH demos included but all we got was filler & about 1 CD's worth of never before heard tracks.
$10,000 for this is an insult to the majority of fans who would like to buy it.
StarChildBlade
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by StarChildBlade »

sicksickphil wrote:
StarChildBlade wrote:
Me. And it's not a rumor. This is real info from a friend of mine who works with the agency that shopped Gene's proposal to record labels. Rhino signed on.
I'm calling BS
Sigh..... It's happening.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

StarChildBlade wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
StarChildBlade wrote:
I'm calling BS
Don't be ridiculous.
StarChildBlade
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by StarChildBlade »

Under The Rose wrote:
StarChildBlade wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
StarChildBlade wrote:
I'm calling BS
Don't be ridiculous.
I'm not. I've been a member of this board for a long time and never have I caused waves or lied about anything. Was just passing along some inside info.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

StarChildBlade wrote:
Under The Rose wrote:
StarChildBlade wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
StarChildBlade wrote:
I'm calling BS
Don't be ridiculous.
I'm not. I've been a member of this board for a long time and never have I caused waves or lied about anything. Was just passing along some inside info.
I don't think it's a lie, but I think it is a total misunderstanding. No way on earth would they price a box of demos at $10,000. It makes zero sense.
Dr Like
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Dr Like »

Last edited by Dr Like on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KISSFACE
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSFACE »

Under The Rose wrote:I don't think it's a lie, but I think it is a total misunderstanding. No way on earth would they price a box of demos at $10,000. It makes zero sense.
Then again, there was the Monster flip-book for $4000 or so, all on its own, but this time Gene's got 12 Hours of pure listening pleasure for you, haha. Maybe the box is made of platinum.
DrLike wrote:I think it's more fun to speculate which tracks will be on it
He originally spoke of 100 tracks, and now it's 150. Would that be just about...Everything? All the songs?
mainline
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mainline »

StarChildBlade wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
goinblind wrote:So not $10K???
Yeah not for 10 CDs. Even Simmons won't try and sell it for $10,000.
I mean if Pink Floyd's 27 disc set was able to be kept around $500, Geno can't expect folks to fork out so much more for way less.
I'd say around the $100 USD.
$10k price is happening.
:lol:
If this is true,Gene has been out in the sun too long. :lol:
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

KISSFACE wrote:
DrLike wrote:I think it's more fun to speculate which tracks will be on it
He originally spoke of 100 tracks, and now it's 150. Would that be just about...Everything? All the songs?
The 150 number is something I just can't get my head around.
''150 songs that have never been released.''
I love the guy but...
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

Under The Rose wrote:
StarChildBlade wrote:
Under The Rose wrote:
StarChildBlade wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
StarChildBlade wrote:
I'm calling BS
Don't be ridiculous.
I don't think it's a lie, but I think it is a total misunderstanding. No way on earth would they price a box of demos at $10,000. It makes zero sense.

It only makes sense if there is one super deluxe package at 10k to get some headlines and then there is the normal box set.
battra
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by battra »

kiss-1976 wrote:This kind of thing really shows up the crap Gene spews with his we hear & we obey, the fans are the bosses et al...
The monster of all box sets was supposed to have the Eddie & Alex VH demos included but all we got was filler & about 1 CD's worth of never before heard tracks.
Hey...why didn't I buy the $75 Kiss Boxed Set?

Because it was little more than a Greatest Hits!

I paid, I THINK, $50 for the Doors Boxed set...2 discs of never before heard versions and unreleased tunes, 1 full concert, and a band favorites CD, which wasn't a greatest hits.

Kiss Boxed Set?

5 CDs...mostly heard material...sure I'd like to hear the handful of songs there I've never heard... (I don't count demos btw)

When that thing came out...it represented about 12 hours (after taxes) of working in order to get it...aka 30% of a week at work to get MOSTLY songs I already had.
Rhiannon
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Rhiannon »

Why does Gene always forget about the "common person" who has shelled out so much money on KISS releases and merchandise over the years.If the the rumor of $10,000 is correct(which i just can't believe it's true) he is alienating a massive fan base who can't afford or wouldn't pay a price for something like that.

KISS did the same with the MONSTER book, if they had have released it and priced it like a KISSTORY book, would have sold thousands of copies.

Greedy pig Gene!
Dr Like
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Dr Like »

Last edited by Dr Like on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

battra wrote:
kiss-1976 wrote:This kind of thing really shows up the crap Gene spews with his we hear & we obey, the fans are the bosses et al...

I paid, I THINK, $50 for the Doors Boxed set...2 discs of never before heard versions and unreleased tunes, 1 full concert, and a band favorites CD, which wasn't a greatest hits.

Kiss Boxed Set?

5 CDs...mostly heard material...sure I'd like to hear the handful of songs there I've never heard... (I don't count demos btw)

When that thing came out...it represented about 12 hours (after taxes) of working in order to get it...aka 30% of a week at work to get MOSTLY songs I already had.
First I paid less than $60 the day the box set came out at a crappy mall store. 2nd this box set will have all unreleased stuff. 3rd if the kiss box set came out the way kiss was thinking, you would have gotten a bunch of vhs tapes of shows that ended up on kissology at a much higher price.
asamphord

Post by asamphord »

I believe that there will be a $10k package. I think it would involve a meet and greet experience, and maybe a private solo acoustic Gene performance along with some other exclusive schwag.

There is no way for a second that I believe that will be the only way to get the 150 songs. There will be alternate packages, digital at the very least, available. It's going to end up on the internet for free download either way.
asamphord

Post by asamphord »

another confirmed song for the box set is Piece Of The Rock, a song co-written between Gene and Robert Fleischman.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

asamphord wrote:I believe that there will be a $10k package. I think it would involve a meet and greet experience, and maybe a private solo acoustic Gene performance along with some other exclusive schwag.

There is no way for a second that I believe that will be the only way to get the 150 songs. There will be alternate packages, digital at the very least, available. It's going to end up on the internet for free download either way.
I doubt there will be a digital download version.
lord71

Post by lord71 »

asamphord wrote:I believe that there will be a $10k package. I think it would involve a meet and greet experience, and maybe a private solo acoustic Gene performance along with some other exclusive schwag.

where did this $10K package came from?

Utterly nonsense.

:drunken:
:?:
DonkeyKong
Banned

Post by DonkeyKong »

txmikey wrote:
Crimson Harpoon wrote: If Gene thinks anyone is actually going to pay $10k for a box set of his demos, he is utterly delusional. The only way this is a financial model that could be successful would be if selling a grand total of one covers the cost of production.
Agreed. He's said and done some ridiculous things, but asking ten grand for demos would take the cake.

He'd have to throw in a signed axe bass and a date with Sophie to get any serious consideration.
A date with Sophie??? :mrgreen: If I will touch first base there, it might be Worth it :twisted:
battra

Post by battra »

sicksickphil wrote:
battra wrote:

Kiss Boxed Set?

First I paid less than $60 the day the box set came out at a crappy mall store. 2nd this box set will have all unreleased stuff. 3rd if the kiss box set came out the way kiss was thinking, you would have gotten a bunch of vhs tapes of shows that ended up on kissology at a much higher price.
I'm sorry I didn't remember the precise price of the Kiss boxed set from about 16 years ago.

You'd think I'd have remembered that as I worked in a record store when it came out...or maybe my record store was just too high priced? Could very well be the latter as I didn't buy music there. I bought mine at Best Buy instead most of the time.

Unreleased stuff that wasn't good enough to displace the shittiest music in the Kiss catalog? Sign me up! No, I want something that's interesting to hear...not some bullshit that's worse than Burn, Bitch, Burn; No, No, No, or The Street Giveth and the Street Taketh away...between 1976 and 1992...(aside from Elder and Creatures)...I don't like anything Gene wrote.

You know, Kiss talked about the first concert being in the Boxed Set...that would've been brilliant..and why would Kiss have released that on VHS? DVD was in full swing by then.
caligari

Post by caligari »

Maybe the higher price is to off set what he finally had to pay
Van Halen to release the CHRISTINE SIXTEEN/etc. demos that Ed & Alex played on?
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

The Fox wrote:
aceshigh wrote:
lespaul wrote:Whatever ..

I am interested in this box set,, and it will be fun listening to the demos, crap or not, lol :)
And after one listen of substandard junk it will sit on the shelf and be worthless.
This.

While I have no problem paying for music, I'm shocked at the prices certain people are still willing to pay for things that are obvious crap... such as most record store day items, novelty LPs (but it glows in the dark!) and box sets like this product allegedly will be.

Basically like you said. A ton of money will get shelled out, and then it'll collect dust there on afterwards and rarely get looked at, listened to or displayed to justify the cost.
yes,so ?? i am sure you do spend money on something that I would never consider , yes ? and yes, i am interested in this box set.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

battra wrote:
sicksickphil wrote: You know, Kiss talked about the first concert being in the Boxed Set...that would've been brilliant..and why would Kiss have released that on VHS? DVD was in full swing by then.
Nope. While dvd had been on the market for few years, it was just STARTING to take off. And if kiss was going to release it on one format it would have been the format everyone had and still used VHS.
battra

Post by battra »

sicksickphil wrote:
battra wrote: You know, Kiss talked about the first concert being in the Boxed Set...that would've been brilliant..and why would Kiss have released that on VHS? DVD was in full swing by then.
Nope. While dvd had been on the market for few years, it was just STARTING to take off. And if kiss was going to release it on one format it would have been the format everyone had and still used VHS.
Lessee...at the time... I was working at fye (aka Camelot Music, and several other names). My store sold CDs, DVDs, VHS, and video games. In 2001-2002, when I was there, the PS2 had been out and the DVD switch had become nearly complete.

But hey, I'm sure you can quantify everything you said in your post (unlike every other time you post), so please do.

Thanks in advance!
elleneff
Banned

Post by elleneff »

You know at the start I was kinda indifferent to it.
I assumed a lot , that it would be lazy and hey, still might be underwhelming and expensive to liberate a lot of cash from his fanbase,
But from his solo shows, the band interviews on Decibel Geek and him writing songs with Ace, I ask myself, has he got a creative fire in his belly again?
I hope so.
Personally Id like to see him strip away all rock persona or asshole persona and deliver some music that matters to him. I know he loves soul, Beatles and Wrecking crew stuff and obvs hes a massive Carol Kaye fan.(shes incredible)
But yeah, Ill get this boxset providing I don't have to licence the likeness and merchandising rights to both my kids to the Kiss corp.
If not now then when?
Stop writing songs that he thinks are Kiss songs and strat doing stuff that feels right to him personally.
Ace_Invader
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Ace_Invader »

battra wrote:

Kiss Boxed Set?

That's like the Blue Oyster Cult Columbia Records box; all the albums Columbia released, a dvd, 2 c.d's of live/rarities, and then a download code for 4 bonus full soundboard quality concerts. $75. That's a box set, IMO that's worththe tag. The Kiss box set was highly disappointing.
carlos
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by carlos »

This package doesn't interest me much. Odds are there will be a few tracks that I'd think are really cool, but if I'm honest, even if some of my all time favorite Gene songs were included, and I heard them for the first time on this boxset, they wouldn't have the same impact on me today because I'm hearing them as a 43 year old adult.

As others have mentioned, a collection of songs that were beat out by the filler we did get through the years doesn't excite me. I assume there are some good ideas and interesting pieces where we can connect the dots to see how other, more familiar tracks came to be, but I imagine that the likelihood of unreleased sister songs to Larger Than Life will be slim to none. Hope I'm proven dead wrong. That would be fantastic.

What I'm hoping for (which is meaningless to Gene because my money very likely won't be involved,) is that there will be some great tracks that can finally be heard because the red-tape has been dealt with.

Hypothetical scenarios aside, what I suspect we'll get is a collection of ideas that paint a picture of his creative process and willingness to experiment and collaborate to varying degrees of success. In the best case scenario for me, that's worth a click to check out, but little more. I've learned to be very selective in my choices on KISS products. It's been better to risk the possibility of missing out on a few polished crumbs than to experience buyer's remorse over the years. (Aren't I a ball of fun huh?)

Allow me to reiterate, I would love to wrong. I hope it's full of missing links between Sweet Pain and Journey Of A Thousand Years. I hope he's been sitting on gems from the beginning, preparing 45 years for this massive release. I hope there's songs that were too good to put on Asshole or were written too late to put on Revenge.
There are plenty of legitimate circumstances that could have prevented him from releasing these tracks until now. But I highly suspect the majority will be just ideas that didn't fit at the time. Either way, I can wait until some of the highlights are available.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

carlos wrote:This package doesn't interest me much. Odds are there will be a few tracks that I'd think are really cool, but if I'm honest, even if some of my all time favorite Gene songs were included, and I heard them for the first time on this boxset, they wouldn't have the same impact on me today because I'm hearing them as a 43 year old adult.

As others have mentioned, a collection of songs that were beat out by the filler we did get through the years doesn't excite me. I assume there are some good ideas and interesting pieces where we can connect the dots to see how other, more familiar tracks came to be, but I imagine that the likelihood of unreleased sister songs to Larger Than Life will be slim to none. Hope I'm proven dead wrong. That would be fantastic.

What I'm hoping for (which is meaningless to Gene because my money very likely won't be involved,) is that there will be some great tracks that can finally be heard because the red-tape has been dealt with.

Hypothetical scenarios aside, what I suspect we'll get is a collection of ideas that paint a picture of his creative process and willingness to experiment and collaborate to varying degrees of success. In the best case scenario for me, that's worth a click to check out, but little more. I've learned to be very selective in my choices on KISS products. It's been better to risk the possibility of missing out on a few polished crumbs than to experience buyer's remorse over the years. (Aren't I a ball of fun huh?)

Allow me to reiterate, I would love to wrong. I hope it's full of missing links between Sweet Pain and Journey Of A Thousand Years. I hope he's been sitting on gems from the beginning, preparing 45 years for this massive release. I hope there's songs that were too good to put on Asshole or were written too late to put on Revenge.
There are plenty of legitimate circumstances that could have prevented him from releasing these tracks until now. But I highly suspect the majority will be just ideas that didn't fit at the time. Either way, I can wait until some of the highlights are available.
I get the feeling this is not going to happen.
balish

Post by balish »

The 3 demos with Van Halen need to be on there, foh sho.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

battra wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
battra wrote: You know, Kiss talked about the first concert being in the Boxed Set...that would've been brilliant..and why would Kiss have released that on VHS? DVD was in full swing by then.
Lessee...at the time... I was working at fye (aka Camelot Music, and several other names). My store sold CDs, DVDs, VHS, and video games. In 2001-2002, when I was there, the PS2 had been out and the DVD switch had become nearly complete.

But hey, I'm sure you can quantify everything you said in your post (unlike every other time you post), so please do.

Thanks in advance!
Yeah the ps2 had been out less than a year in US in small quantities when the kiss box set came. Dvds were starting to take off. It was like a cd player 1988. You could find them in stores and some people had them but it wasn't the thing everybody had at the time. Sorry that is just the way it was. By the way you could find laser discs in stores in 2001. Does that mean everyone had them ?
battra

Post by battra »

sicksickphil wrote:
battra wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Yeah the ps2 had been out less than a year in US in small quantities when the kiss box set came. Dvds were starting to take off. It was like a cd player 1988. You could find them in stores and some people had them but it wasn't the thing everybody had at the time. Sorry that is just the way it was. By the way you could find laser discs in stores in 2001. Does that mean everyone had them ?
Quick question though, as at that time, Box Sets didn't include videos, save the Metallica Live Boxed set from nearly a decade earlier, where did you get your information that it was to have included full live concerts?

As for PS2 and the Kiss Boxed Set....

The PS2 was released in the USA on October 26, 2000...man...I remember that day...seeing idiots lined up around the corner when they could've had a Dreamcast already... Then the Kiss boxed set was released in on November 20, 2001...I think when you said less than a year...haha you were wrong. :)

And Laser Discs were available in stores that sold new movies? Because that's what we're talking about. Laser Discs never took off. Personally at that point in 2001, I'd been on the DVD train for over two years I think.

And CDs in 1988...yeah...I never saw a CD until about 1991 in a store...but whatever, chief.

I know you're a troll in these parts, and why I'm doing this...no idea...but hey just answer the question about the videos...but I know you won't.
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

Just for the record, I'd been buying CDs since the early 80's. I still have many of 'em in fine working order :mrgreen:
battra

Post by battra »

Vandelay Industries wrote:Just for the record, I'd been buying CDs since the early 80's. I still have many of 'em in fine working order :mrgreen:
I know the CD is older as a format than most of us think of it...it debuted in 1982.

What was the first batch of CDs you got?

I remember reading (granted this was in the second Metallica comic book or maybe the first...so take it for what it's worth if anything) that Metallica said about ...And Justice For All most people will buy it on cassette, but for those who did buy it on vinyl, they made it a double LP in order to make it sound better.

So even in the late 80's, vinyl was still going.
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

battra wrote:
Vandelay Industries wrote:Just for the record, I'd been buying CDs since the early 80's. I still have many of 'em in fine working order :mrgreen:
I know the CD is older as a format than most of us think of it...it debuted in 1982.

I remember reading (granted this was in the second Metallica comic book or maybe the first...so take it for what it's worth if anything) that Metallica said about ...And Justice For All most people will buy it on cassette, but for those who did buy it on vinyl, they made it a double LP in order to make it sound better.

My first CD was Wish You Were Here. I bought it to play at my neighbor's entertainment center, lol....I actually didn't get my own player 'til late '84-early '85, when it was a little more reasonably priced, comparatively speaking. Can't even remember what my first few purchases were, but I do recall getting Brothers In Arms before leaving for college :mrgreen:
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Vandelay Industries wrote:
battra wrote:

My first CD was Wish You Were Here. I bought it to play at my neighbor's entertainment center, lol....I actually didn't get my own player 'til late '84-early '85, when it was a little more reasonably priced, comparatively speaking. Can't even remember what my first few purchases were, but I do recall getting Brothers In Arms before leaving for college :mrgreen:
Brothers In Arms became like a poster child for the CD, I remember. I worked in record stores in the 80's and when I left in 1989, vinyl was still fairly dominant. Took a few more years for CDs to become bigger.
johnkissfan1974

Post by johnkissfan1974 »

If he is releasing a box set makes think there will not be any deluxe editions in Kiss' future
KISSFACE
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSFACE »

johnkissfan1974 wrote:If he is releasing a box set makes think there will not be any deluxe editions in Kiss' future
I doubt Unversal was ever gonna pay him enough to make a deluxe edition really interesting for us, so I'm glad he's found another option.

The next question is will Paul release his own demo stack sometime after this. Or I suppose, if KISS really does gain control over the original catalog recordings, unreleased Paul tracks could still show up there in new comps or deluxe editions.