Gene's Box Set - 10 CDs, in October, and opener revelead

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Luchino
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Gene's Box Set - 10 CDs, in October, and opener revelead

Post by Luchino »

Interesting updates Gene gave in an interview to a mexican website. Here's a snippet I translated to english:

"The Gene Simmons band is a chance for me to play songs that Kiss have never played before, but also hits and I will be playing the first song of a new box set to be released in October. It has 150 never-before-heard songs, which I spent 50 years making, in a compilation of 10 discs for the box set and the opener is called "Are You Ready?". It will not be available in stores, social media or internet, but those who attend our show will hear it. And then you can have the box set".

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/ ... -jose-jose

So, we now know it will be 10 cds and will be released in October
It's worth remembering "Are you ready?" is a song written for Monster. As stated in 2011 by Gene:
<< "Are You Ready?" is a new track that I worked out, wrote, and brought everyone into the studio and said: "Let's bang this out." Another of the new songs, tentatively titled "Wall of Sound," we just came up with on the spot. >>
gothunder
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: Gene's Box Set - 10 CDs, in October, and opener revelead

Post by gothunder »

Yes, way overdue.
KISSFACE
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSFACE »

Very cool, I recall Tommy enthusing about extra songs Gene had that he thought should be heard from those sessions. Hey! As I figure Gene has the last word on this project, Maybe this Monster material won't be Brickwalled!

And performing it live first - kudos, that's exciting. Stuff happening here that nobody expected, only fantasized, dig it.

(Now, about that Ten! THOUSAND Dollar loan, haha...)
Kissologist
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Kissologist »

Lots of interesting stuff in that interview:
He sleeps with spanish ballads songs
A Gene Simmons soda
New magazine "On Power"
A KISS film with Warner Bros.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Kissologist wrote:Lots of interesting stuff in that interview:
A Gene Simmons soda
New magazine "On Power"
Oh no.
goinblind
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by goinblind »

So not $10K???
spaceace77
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by spaceace77 »

So it's only going to be available to purchase at the shows?!
deleteduser20210208
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by deleteduser20210208 »

spaceace77 wrote:So it's only going to be available to purchase at the shows?!
Yeah, I'm not quite sure what that statement meant if it's an accurate translation, but I think it means the song will be heard at the gigs and then the boxset will be available later where you can have the song to keep.
deleteduser20210208
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

goinblind wrote:So not $10K???
Yeah not for 10 CDs. Even Simmons won't try and sell it for $10,000.
I mean if Pink Floyd's 27 disc set was able to be kept around $500, Geno can't expect folks to fork out so much more for way less.
I'd say around the $100 USD.
sicksickphil
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by sicksickphil »

brokentiny wrote:
I mean if Pink Floyd's 27 disc set was able to be kept around $500, Geno can't expect folks to fork out so much more for way less.
Bob Dylan released an 18 cd plus 9 45s limited super deluxe set a few years ago that was like $700. Depending on extras, I would say this set will be about $250
andykiss4ever
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by andykiss4ever »

It will not be available in stores, social media or internet
So only a physical release and only available at shows? Possibly mail order from his website?
deleteduser20210208
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

sicksickphil wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
Bob Dylan released an 18 cd plus 9 45s limited super deluxe set a few years ago that was like $700. Depending on extras, I would say this set will be about $250
Yeah, you could be right, $250 may be more realistic. I'm surprised about the Dylan price compared to the Floyd one, but the market for physical objects has dropped a bit over the last few years. Mind you collectors will still collect, hence my Floyd purchase. :lol:
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

andykiss4ever wrote:
It will not be available in stores, social media or internet
So only a physical release and only available at shows? Possibly mail order from his website?
the last monkees box set rhino did was only available on the monkees website. And a few of their box sets before that were only available on rhinos web site.
The Fox

Post by The Fox »

brokentiny wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
Yeah, you could be right, $250 may be more realistic. I'm surprised about the Dylan price compared to the Floyd one, but the market for physical objects has dropped a bit over the last few years. Mind you collectors will still collect, hence my Floyd purchase. :lol:
So $250 for 10CDs... you guys are ok with spending $25 a CD? :scratch:

At most this set should be around $120-$150... and idk if it's even worth that as it's being released under the Gene Simmons name and it's just going to be a collection of live tracks, (mostly) unfinished ideas and will most likely be padded with previously released material. Inevitably there will be Kiss related material on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's loaded with boring/uninteresting crap like "Leeta".
deleteduser20210208
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

The Fox wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
brokentiny wrote:

At most this set should be around $120-$150... and idk if it's even worth that as it's being released under the Gene Simmons name and it's just going to be a collection of live tracks, (mostly) unfinished ideas and will most likely be padded with previously released material. Inevitably there will be Kiss related material on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's loaded with boring/uninteresting crap like "Leeta".
In my neck of the woods $25 is about average for one CD, so yeah that sounds about right. No saying it's okay, but always amazed when folks in the US complain about the retail prices they pay for music. :lol:
But we are all just guessing and really have no idea with will be included (booklet, printed material bonus stuff etc), how limited it will be and the process of sale... So lets wait and see.
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

brokentiny wrote:
Yeah, I'm not quite sure what that statement meant if it's an accurate translation, but I think it means the song will be heard at the gigs and then the boxset will be available later where you can have the song to keep.
That's how I interpreted it.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

The Fox wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
brokentiny wrote:

In all odds this is going to be in special packing with other stuff. And these packages tend to sell at a premium. I doubt there will be much live stuff on it if any.
The Fox

Post by The Fox »

brokentiny wrote:
The Fox wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
brokentiny wrote:

In my neck of the woods $25 is about average for one CD, so yeah that sounds about right. No saying it's okay, but always amazed when folks in the US complain about the retail prices they pay for music. :lol:
Average CD prices in Australia are $25 in 2017? Really?

I believe the suggested retail price for CDs in the U.S. is around $18.99 which is ridiculous in the internet era when you can essentially listen to almost anything you want for free.

I have no problems with buying music, I prefer to have physical CDs over paying for downloads or pay-streaming sites or whatever... but the average American teenager/young adult isn't gonna pay almost $20 for a CD in 2017. Now, in 1997, maybe if it was an import or some special release, but it ain't exactly 1997 anymore, lol.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

The Fox wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
The Fox wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
brokentiny wrote:

I believe the suggested retail price for CDs in the U.S. is around $18.99 which is ridiculous in the internet era when you can essentially listen to almost anything you want for free.

I have no problems with buying music, I prefer to have physical CDs over paying for downloads or pay-streaming sites or whatever... but the average American teenager/young adult isn't gonna pay almost $20 for a CD in 2017. Now, in 1997, maybe if it was an import or some special release, but it ain't exactly 1997 anymore, lol.

Do you think a teenager/young adult is going to buy the Gene Simmons box set ? It is for hard core fans. The last monkees box set was like $70. It had three cds and one 45 and very few unreleased recordings. Odds are there will be about 150 unreleased recordings Gene Simmons box set.
The Fox

Post by The Fox »

sicksickphil wrote:
The Fox wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
The Fox wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
sicksickphil wrote:
brokentiny wrote:

Do you think a teenager/young adult is going to buy the Gene Simmons box set ?
I don't think anybody is going to buy the Gene Simmons box set. :P
DonkeyKong
Banned

Post by DonkeyKong »

The generation of today won´t pay for a CD anyway which probably leaves a higher price for us who wants it.
I expect a price range around 150-300$.
blrghh
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by blrghh »

I still can't get over how the same guy who says there's no 'financial model that works' for a new album... is putting out a ten cd box set of demos.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

blrghh wrote:I still can't get over how the same guy who says there's no 'financial model that works' for a new album... is putting out a ten cd box set of demos.
While gene is wrong, everything is already recorded with the box set and it won't be selling for $15.
aceshigh
Banned

Post by aceshigh »

blrghh wrote:I still can't get over how the same guy who says there's no 'financial model that works' for a new album... is putting out a ten cd box set of demos.
Agreed. Demos throwaways and songs that weren't god enough for official release and now for sale. If you enjoy fine but I see it as another money grab by Simmons.
That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy »

Not interested.

I want to hear "Love Gun".
KISSFACE
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by KISSFACE »

How many years, by the way, from word to deed in getting this out? It's been so long I've forgotten just when he first brought up the idea in public.
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

Whatever ..

I am interested in this box set,, and it will be fun listening to the demos, crap or not, lol :)
Ironfist76

Post by Ironfist76 »

Kool news! :thumleft: Thanks for translating and posting.
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

KISSFACE wrote:How many years, by the way, from word to deed in getting this out? It's been so long I've forgotten just when he first brought up the idea in public.
He mentioned it on The Apprentice in 2008. Not sure if it was mentioned before that. At that time, it was going to be a 100 song box set I think.
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

I hope we can finally get an official release of Stanley the Parrot and My Uncle is a Raft. Definitely dying for those.

If we're lucky, maybe we'll get the three tracks Gene did for Unmasked that supposedly sound better.
Easy Catman

Post by Easy Catman »

Very much looking forward to this release in October. I hope sufficient work will be done to maximise sound quality and extensive notes provided for each track.
aceshigh
Banned

Post by aceshigh »

lespaul wrote:Whatever ..

I am interested in this box set,, and it will be fun listening to the demos, crap or not, lol :)
And after one listen of substandard junk it will sit on the shelf and be worthless.
Luchino
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Luchino »

brokentiny wrote:
yes, he was refering to the song Are You Ready..that it won't be sold as a single or anything, it will be only be played live... and then it will be released in the box set
LordThurisaz
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by LordThurisaz »

aceshigh wrote:

And after one listen of substandard junk it will sit on the shelf and be worthless.
Pretty much. There will be a few gems, probably less than 10%, but most of it will be stuff that wasn't good enough for a KISS record.
The Fox

Post by The Fox »

kenn.ace wrote:
KISSFACE wrote:How many years, by the way, from word to deed in getting this out? It's been so long I've forgotten just when he first brought up the idea in public.
He mentioned it on The Apprentice in 2008. Not sure if it was mentioned before that. At that time, it was going to be a 100 song box set I think.
I think Gene talking about a "mother of all" box sets actually goes as far back as the late 90s, or the early 2000s... I'm pretty sure that the huge disappointment that was the 2001 box set that Kiss released evolved out of this talk.
Hellbastard
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Hellbastard »

LordThurisaz wrote:I hope we can finally get an official release of Stanley the Parrot and My Uncle is a Raft
Haven't we already had an official release (=2001 Box Set) of the Parrot?
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

The Fox wrote:
kenn.ace wrote:
I think Gene talking about a "mother of all" box sets actually goes as far back as the late 90s, or the early 2000s... I'm pretty sure that the huge disappointment that was the 2001 box set that Kiss released evolved out of this talk.
Yeah and that mother of all box sets didn't come out because the record company didn't want to pay for it.
mainline
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mainline »

If this is true,we all waited years for this box set to only buy it if Gene
performs at a concert in your area.
RIDICULOUS!!
WreackHavoc
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by WreackHavoc »

I am excited about this. I hope "Hello Hello" will be on there :)
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

aceshigh wrote:

could be, sure. but no different than to most of my kiss cd`s like animalize up to today..
Ikons

Post by Ikons »

Looking forward to this.
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

jannep17 wrote:
Kissologist wrote:Lots of interesting stuff in that interview:
A Gene Simmons soda
New magazine "On Power"
Oh no.
That's the most exciting news out of everything.
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissjrj »

Hopefully it'll have some Boom and Monster songs on it that never got past the Stanley/Collins team; and while we're at it, might as well throw that Your Wish Is Our Command or whatever it's called in there... Doesn't look like the band is headed for the studio anytime soon.
The Fox

Post by The Fox »

aceshigh wrote:

This.

While I have no problem paying for music, I'm shocked at the prices certain people are still willing to pay for things that are obvious crap... such as most record store day items, novelty LPs (but it glows in the dark!) and box sets like this product allegedly will be.

Basically like you said. A ton of money will get shelled out, and then it'll collect dust there on afterwards and rarely get looked at, listened to or displayed to justify the cost.
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

I think this is great news, let's see how it comes out.
destroyerrnro
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by destroyerrnro »

mainline wrote:If this is true,we all waited years for this box set to only buy it if Gene
performs at a concert in your area.
RIDICULOUS!!

That is not what he meant, trust me. He means he will only debut "Are You Ready" at his shows and nowhere else so If you want to hear it, you need to take in a show. He's looking for a way to fill more seats.
Crimson Harpoon
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crimson Harpoon »

brokentiny wrote:
Maybe this is the financial model that eludes KISS?
Philly Cheese

Post by Philly Cheese »

HA!
deleteduser20210208
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Crimson Harpoon wrote:
brokentiny wrote:
Maybe this is the financial model that eludes KISS?
Yep pretty much. Mind you KISS are not as big as sellers as Floyd, nor were their "unreleased" material as infamous and lusted after.
crimsonharpoon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by crimsonharpoon »

I'm sure at least some of it would be interesting to hear, but I'm wondering about the sound quality, though ... while a demo could sound like "Doncha Hesitate" the majority of these more than likely will sound like they were recorded on a portable tape recorder in Gene's hotel room. And I really don't know how he could charge hundreds of dollars for that, no matter how many discs it covers.