NY POST BASH FEST - A&P: Anti-Semitic; Gene: No Mktg Genius

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Re: Anti-Semitic

Post by kissjrj »

MagicMtn
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: Anti-Semitic

Post by MagicMtn »

yawnnnnn.... yesterdays news
PelagicJoe
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: NY POST BASH FEST - A&P: Anti-Semitic; Gene: No Mktg Gen

Post by PelagicJoe »

redinthesky wrote:
GermanKissFan wrote:
redinthesky wrote:In the 70's, racial humor was a lot more common because people had more of a backbone.
"BACKBONE"???

I think you have just disqualified yourself for all times to be ever taken serious by any of us ever again. "Braindead" is the only thing that comes to my mind when thinking about you. (Not that I have been a big fan of yours before, but I can't believe you just wrote this...)
That's fine, but what I said is true. Back then, people didn't whine and cry and be "offended" every time an off-color joke was made. That doesn't mean they had to laugh - it just wasn't the end of the world or anything to go nuts about. Because people had more backbone then.
Red is 100% correct on this one. People weren't so sensitive back then.
gshaller
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by gshaller »

GermanKissFan wrote:
redinthesky wrote:
GermanKissFan wrote:
redinthesky wrote:In the 70's, racial humor was a lot more common because people had more of a backbone.
"BACKBONE"???

I think you have just disqualified yourself for all times to be ever taken serious by any of us ever again. "Braindead" is the only thing that comes to my mind when thinking about you. (Not that I have been a big fan of yours before, but I can't believe you just wrote this...)
That's fine, but what I said is true. Back then, people didn't whine and cry and be "offended" every time an off-color joke was made. That doesn't mean they had to laugh - it just wasn't the end of the world or anything to go nuts about. Because people had more backbone then.
" it just wasn't the end of the world or anything to go nuts about."

Unless you were black of course.

Or Jewish.

Or Asian.

Or from South America.

With a racist worldview like THIS, you MUST be WASP. Correct?
No dude. Let's not go there.
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

PelagicJoe wrote:
redinthesky wrote:
GermanKissFan wrote:
"BACKBONE"???

No, they just didn't say anything.
Edit: Yes they did, in books.
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 1111976 »

Two blondes were walking down the street one said to the other............oh, ...I 'll save this one for later.
Strutter67
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Strutter67 »

GermanKissFan wrote:
"BACKBONE"???

Yea racial humor is ok because it's only humor. People should have thicker skin. Wow what a crock. Bullying is a serious issue in this country and people actually believe this shit? Teens are killing themselves or killing others because of physical and VERBAL abuse. I say have the backbone to not make jokes about other people at those people's expense. It's not funny. You sound like an ass when you do it and i won't associate with people who do that shit. Paul shouldn't be the one to STFU. It's people who condone this kind of behavior.
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 1111976 »

GermanKissFan wrote:
redinthesky wrote:
GermanKissFan wrote:
"BACKBONE"???

" it just wasn't the end of the world or anything to go nuts about."

Unless you were black of course.

Or Jewish.

Or Asian.

Or from South America.

With a racist worldview like THIS, you MUST be WASP. Correct?
Blackie??? Is that you?
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

PelagicJoe wrote:
redinthesky wrote:
GermanKissFan wrote:
"BACKBONE"???

There's no freedom of speech anymore. People whine about everything. People are offended about any and everything. College campuses where the most freedom of speech should be observed is the worst of all.

People whining about bumper sticks on kids trucks. You name it. Send him home from school.

Colleges now wanting to give the kids a heads up on some subjects that might offend them so they could skip those lectures, tests etc.

Outlets like SI and others whining about the Washington Redskins. Change this name... change that one.

Make a joke about fat people.... this that.....

The "R" word. The "N" word. You name it. Correctness says you can't even mention those things.

A white eagles player uses a word...people flip out. 90% of the other players on the team use it.

The "Oprah Rule" where only whites can be racist.

Lets go crush Paula Deen's career because she admitted to saying something 20 years ago. Crucify her.

Lets make the CEO of Firefox resign. Oh my, he gave $1000 contribution.

Where are the good old days when Fred Sanford could drop N bombs, honky bombs you name it. Sure miss the days of actual free speech. So must alot of people and that's why when movies like Ted do so well because they reek of incorrectness.

I too would love to hear/read all the black jokes members of KISS were making.

And does Paul call Gene anti-Semitic when he says stereotypical things for Jews? What about Bruce's wife? She used Jewish stereotypes? Does that mean she hated them?
Forevertj
Banned

Post by Forevertj »

I think the thread needs locked. Too much anger. Let's try to be nice guys. The mods are getting tired of all the fighting. I don't blame them. I have greatly resisted the urge to lash out at some very annoying posts, but lately I have just been ignoring it. It is better than getting banned.
HarleyQuinn

Post by HarleyQuinn »

nearlyhumanoid wrote:Sigh. Gene is a money-grubbing publicity-starved jerk. Ace and Peter are a couple of not-too-bright musicians who've used drugs and alcohol to excess. And Paul was the real mastermind behind the spandex & fringes era of Kisstory, as well as everything else too. These revelations are hardly stunning to anyone who's followed this band through the years.

Labeling Ace & Peter as "anti-Semites" is a pretty low blow, but not unexpected given the mud-slinging these guys have been engaging in since forever. A great singer, songwriter and live performer, but his weirdly needy, pretentious, dismissive, condescending attitude along with his constant passive-aggressive pleas for "recognition" and "credit" is IMO nearly as off-putting as Gene's "moneybags" act or Peter's constant complaining.

Yep.
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 1111976 »

Forevertj wrote: I have greatly resisted the urge to lash out at some very annoying posts, but lately I have just been ignoring it. It is better than getting banned.
Hulk not smash?
Trance
Banned

Post by Trance »

"Man Of Steel" is a terrible movie.
MagicMtn
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by MagicMtn »

Paul Stanley will burn in hell for the LIES he's told!
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

Damn you, progress! Why do you have to make it so inconvenient for people to say racist crap any more?
mborz
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mborz »

justcoz wrote:You also have to keep in mind that a 20-something Paul Stanley may not have seen anything insidious by Ace's (and to a lesser extent Peter's) Nazi fascination. He may have very well viewed it harmless racial/religious-based ribbing from bandmates that was meant to be funny. Just like we've all thought something was funny in college that we look back on and see the wrong in it. When he joined it he may have seen it as him goofing off with his bandmates and making Gene uncomfortable. He may have noticed more anti-semitism from Ace and Peter as the years went on. Dressing in Nazi garb and mimicking Hogan's Heroes at 26 is a lot different than Ace and Peter singing "I'm a Jew" during "I Want You" when they were pissed at Gene and Paul or calling them money grubbing Jews when everyone's in their 50s. You start to see it as more indicative of actual hate.
For the record, I think it's completely justified for people to have no problem that Paul currently feels the way he does about this topic.

Nor do I have a problem with people who think he's being inconsistent and want to call it out.

The reason I jumped in was because people shouldn't have to defend the fact that they posted the latter opinion. Disagreeing about opinions is completely cool, and one of the reasons I come here. But having to defend airing certain opinions is something I'll never understand, especially when that's one of the main reasons this place is here.

Note that none of this is directed at you juscoz, just clarifying.
Tommyr
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tommyr »

Calling Dr. Pepper wrote:Anti-semetic? Really?

That's just sad.
He's 2 faced. There's a photo of both Peter AND Paul in the same picture in Nazi uniforms.

All of a sudden he's pissed about it. He's turned old and diva.
Last edited by Tommyr on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace of Spades
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Ace of Spades »

redinthesky wrote:And there were NO blacks in the whole movie too (way to go again with diversity, Lucas!)..
Maybe so, but Han Solo was originally cast as black. Billy Dee Williams even auditioned for the part, but another black man was chosen before Harrison Ford got the part.

Also, think about this.....Darth Vader's suit is black, and he is voiced by a black man. All of the stormtroopers are in white suits, and they serve under him. BLACK POWER.
Tommyr
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tommyr »

unionsoul wrote:Image

It sure seemed to really bother Ol' Paul back in the day, huh?
EXACTLY. Must suck having to shave 2 faces huh Paul?
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 1111976 »

gshaller wrote:Damn you, progress! Why do you have to make it so inconvenient for people to say racist crap any more?
I know! It's so fucking gay........ :oops: oops!, sorry it's Ken Mills fault.
mainline
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mainline »

Happy 40th. Anniversary!! :roll:
mborz
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mborz »

Revenant01 wrote:
mborz wrote:
Revenant01 wrote:Frankly, I'm less concerned about photos of 20-something rockers screwing around in tacky Nazi garb. It's entirely possible that a less evolved Stanley was ok with that back then but has changed his opinion over DECADES. People also seem to be forgetting that he didn't say he was talking specifically about the 70's. He may have heard much more of this stuff after the reunion also. We don't know, but everyone who's crying "hypocrite" is pointing to nearly 40-yr-old photos and not factoring in the very real possibility of growth/change in intervening decades.
That's fine if you feel that way, but I think it's perfectly reasonable for others to not like the inconsistencies (even though time has passed), and don't deserved to be called out for the fact that they feel that way.
Revenant01 wrote:Honestly, the most disturbing thing in that article to me is the allegation of Ace hiding drugs in others' belongings without their knowledge. If that's true, what a low-life that would make him at that point....
Didn't I just read in this post where you said we need to face the fact that they are very flawed people?
Yes, you did. That doesn't mean I can't find it at all disturbing. But, please, nitpick some more.
You can call it nitpicking if you want. I think it's a pretty big inconsistency, but that's just my opinion.

For the record, I find that description of Ace's behavior disturbing as well, so don't take this as me defending him.
Forevertj
Banned

Post by Forevertj »

1111976 wrote:
Forevertj wrote: I have greatly resisted the urge to lash out at some very annoying posts, but lately I have just been ignoring it. It is better than getting banned.
Hulk not smash?

Very good! :mrgreen:

See? It's better when we are light hearted and just play around. I want to enjoy what little time I have left with my favorite band. This infighting sucks. Why don't they just say "no comment"?

How hard is that?
thewhip

Post by thewhip »

1111976 wrote:
Hulk not smash?
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

CAN WE GET BACK TO THE GENE IS NO MARKETING GENIUS.

Paul acts here like Gene isn't doing any deals etc.....but READ THE BOOK. Paul is whining so much about Gene doing all these deals and trying not to give Paul a cut of them. And how Gene wants to use the makeup etc of his own but not give Paul a cut.

WHICH IS IT PAUL??!!

And funny, Paul whines and whines about Gene not adding much to the music.....but what has Paul done really to earn him an equal share of all the marketing work Gene has done? Has Paul put in the efforts like Gene? Has Paul ever promoted the BRAND as much as Gene???
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 1111976 »

TheSphinx wrote:CAN WE GET BACK TO THE GENE IS NO MARKETING GENIUS.

Paul acts here like Gene isn't doing any deals etc.....but READ THE BOOK. Paul is whining so much about Gene doing all these deals and trying not to give Paul a cut of them. And how Gene wants to use the makeup etc of his own but not give Paul a cut.

WHICH IS IT PAUL??!!

And funny, Paul whines and whines about Gene not adding much to the music.....but what has Paul done really to earn him an equal share of all the marketing work Gene has done? Has Paul put in the efforts like Gene? Has Paul ever promoted the BRAND as much as Gene???
You seriously need help.
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

1111976 wrote:

WHICH IS IT PAUL??!!

You seriously need help.
Let's not attack personally.
13marcello

Post by 13marcello »

mainline wrote:Happy 40th. Anniversary!! :roll:
Exactly! All of this is such a turn off.
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 1111976 »

gshaller wrote:
1111976 wrote:

WHICH IS IT PAUL??!!

You seriously need help.
Im not attacking. I'm seriously getting concerned about his obsessive, over the top behavior. It's like the lid blew off the Rubbermaid container.
Sirscorps

Post by Sirscorps »

jackstar74 wrote:
Calling Dr. Pepper wrote:Anti-semetic? Really?

That's just sad.
Someone needs to remind Hypocrite Stanley that he himself dressed in the Nazi regalia

Someone needs to tweet him those pics.
BlackDiamond67

Post by BlackDiamond67 »

Tommyr wrote:
unionsoul wrote:Image

It sure seemed to really bother Ol' Paul back in the day, huh?
EXACTLY. Must suck having to shave 2 faces huh Paul?

Paul was the subject for the lead character in the film The Believer, apparently.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

Strutter67 wrote:
GermanKissFan wrote:
"BACKBONE"???

Yea racial humor is ok because it's only humor. People should have thicker skin. Wow what a crock. Bullying is a serious issue in this country and people actually believe this shit? Teens are killing themselves or killing others because of physical and VERBAL abuse. I say have the backbone to not make jokes about other people at those people's expense. It's not funny. You sound like an ass when you do it and i won't associate with people who do that shit. Paul shouldn't be the one to STFU. It's people who condone this kind of behavior.
Bullying? Who is condoning bullying? Funny, I didn't realize I was being "bullied" when I hear the occasional Irish drinking joke.

Of course, you completely missed the point, but you often do.
pallmall2

Post by pallmall2 »

Gol, what a bitch fest the band and all of us have become.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

pallmall2 wrote:Gol, what a bitch fest the band and all of us have become.
lol truth. Just wait until Paul's book comes out! I bet it beats Peter's as far as stirring up interesting Faq conversation. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's takes.
highvoltage1969
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by highvoltage1969 »

Really depressing, I think I'm just going to comfort myself with KISS 1973-82 and forget about everything else. It's like a train wreck, I can't help looking but I wish I could!
pallmall2

Post by pallmall2 »

redinthesky wrote:
lol truth. Just wait until Paul's book comes out! I bet it beats Peter's as far as stirring up interesting Faq conversation. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's takes.
Agreed.
Revenant01

Post by Revenant01 »

mborz wrote:
Revenant01 wrote:
mborz wrote:
Revenant01 wrote:Frankly, I'm less concerned about photos of 20-something rockers screwing around in tacky Nazi garb. It's entirely possible that a less evolved Stanley was ok with that back then but has changed his opinion over DECADES. People also seem to be forgetting that he didn't say he was talking specifically about the 70's. He may have heard much more of this stuff after the reunion also. We don't know, but everyone who's crying "hypocrite" is pointing to nearly 40-yr-old photos and not factoring in the very real possibility of growth/change in intervening decades.
That's fine if you feel that way, but I think it's perfectly reasonable for others to not like the inconsistencies (even though time has passed), and don't deserved to be called out for the fact that they feel that way.
Revenant01 wrote:Honestly, the most disturbing thing in that article to me is the allegation of Ace hiding drugs in others' belongings without their knowledge. If that's true, what a low-life that would make him at that point....
Didn't I just read in this post where you said we need to face the fact that they are very flawed people?
Yes, you did. That doesn't mean I can't find it at all disturbing. But, please, nitpick some more.
You can call it nitpicking if you want. I think it's a pretty big inconsistency, but that's just my opinion.

For the record, I find that description of Ace's behavior disturbing as well, so don't take this as me defending him.
It's all good. I'm just trying to allow for the possibility of growth/change over 40 yrs and the fact that I don't really know the context of the photos. I'm sure everyone here has uttered things having to do with "racist views" but we were fortunate enough not to have been recorded or photographed, even if it was in jest.
JMac67
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by JMac67 »

pallmall2 wrote:
redinthesky wrote:
Agreed.
The book is great, very well written for a "rock biography"...the amount of bashing is not even close to what was in Peter's book, and criticisms are stated more matter of factly than with any vehemence, but it will for sure drum up some conversation on here.
pallmall2

Post by pallmall2 »

JMac67 wrote:
pallmall2 wrote:
redinthesky wrote:
Agreed.
The book is great, very well written for a "rock biography"...the amount of bashing is not even close to what was in Peter's book, and criticisms are stated more matter of factly than with any vehemence, but it will for sure drum up some conversation on here.

Pretty much what I thought. Still waiting to receive mine.
JMac67
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by JMac67 »

pallmall2 wrote:
JMac67 wrote:
pallmall2 wrote:
redinthesky wrote:
Agreed.

Pretty much what I thought. Still waiting to receive mine.
I ordered mine through Amazon, came in on Friday so yours should come in soon. You'll like it.
justcoz
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by justcoz »

mborz wrote:
justcoz wrote:You also have to keep in mind that a 20-something Paul Stanley may not have seen anything insidious by Ace's (and to a lesser extent Peter's) Nazi fascination. He may have very well viewed it harmless racial/religious-based ribbing from bandmates that was meant to be funny. Just like we've all thought something was funny in college that we look back on and see the wrong in it. When he joined it he may have seen it as him goofing off with his bandmates and making Gene uncomfortable. He may have noticed more anti-semitism from Ace and Peter as the years went on. Dressing in Nazi garb and mimicking Hogan's Heroes at 26 is a lot different than Ace and Peter singing "I'm a Jew" during "I Want You" when they were pissed at Gene and Paul or calling them money grubbing Jews when everyone's in their 50s. You start to see it as more indicative of actual hate.
For the record, I think it's completely justified for people to have no problem that Paul currently feels the way he does about this topic.

Nor do I have a problem with people who think he's being inconsistent and want to call it out.

The reason I jumped in was because people shouldn't have to defend the fact that they posted the latter opinion. Disagreeing about opinions is completely cool, and one of the reasons I come here. But having to defend airing certain opinions is something I'll never understand, especially when that's one of the main reasons this place is here.

No worries. I agree with everything you're saying. I was just offering an alternative perspective. Paul's opinion of Ace and Peter's anti-semitism may have nothing to do with them goofing off in the 70s and dressing in Nazi garb to agitate Gene. He could've seen more behavior, or even some angrier more hate filled lashing out toward him and Gene, that made him start to think that there was more to Ace and Peter's "collecting" and Heil Hitler-type humor.
JMac67
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by JMac67 »

justcoz wrote:
mborz wrote:

No worries. I agree with everything you're saying. I was just offering an alternative perspective. Paul's opinion of Ace and Peter's anti-semitism may have nothing to do with them goofing off in the 70s and dressing in Nazi garb to agitate Gene. He could've seen more behavior, or even some angrier more hate filled lashing out toward him and Gene, that made him start to think that there was more to Ace and Peter's "collecting" and Heil Hitler-type humor.
You're right, the reasons are in the book, and they are related to the "angrier more hate filled lashing out toward him and Gene.
shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

PUNCHLINE wrote:Paul`s book seems interesting, but the saddest thing I think about all of this is how Paul feels about Gene still after all these years. Thats becoming the most disappointing thing for me now with the band.
Well, I expected it. There 's a reason why Gene doesn't have any real friends.
Joseph Kiss Jr.
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Joseph Kiss Jr. »

1111976 wrote:
gshaller wrote:
1111976 wrote:

WHICH IS IT PAUL??!!

You seriously need help.
Im not attacking. I'm seriously getting concerned about his obsessive, over the top behavior. It's like the lid blew off the Rubbermaid container.
Gene IS NO marketing genius.. A bunch of meetings with any half ass company - who will listen to a proposal about slapping the KISS image and name on any piece of shit merchandise, garbage shonky trinkets, etc; that's hardly proper marketing or genius.. I thought that as early 'as '97 when history not only repeated but got 10 times worse..

Remember the comic book pane in one of their early 90's dvd's - " ah I think I went a little too far!"
Robdaddy

Post by Robdaddy »

KISS_BLOOD wrote:Paul said it turned his stomach to read that people said Gene was a Marketing Genius. Why could'nt he just be happy for his friend and Bandmate instead of letting all Gene's publicity get to him.

Not agreeing with his bashing, but...he'd know more than any of us how full of shit Gene is. Hell, I dislike it when people at my workplace get credit for things they don't deserve, especially when everyone "in the trenches" knows the truth. Now, when you put that same situation into a multi-multi-multi-million dollar environment, it doesn't surprise me at all that Paul would feel that way. Gene is an absolute blowhard who is probably responsible for about 20% of the successes he has claimed for himself.
TarynWay

Post by TarynWay »

As far as Paul's comments about Gene-

It is true. Gene takes credit for other people's work and ideas. He does not acknowledge or reward those who contribute.
It is called taking advantage of people or using them. Gene should make amends for those things he did in the past.

Paul's stand re Gene's anti marriage stance hence not inviting him to his wedding shows a great amount of conviction and integrity.
Gene has been working on making amends for that by marrying Shannon. But he has not to the women besides Shannon he hurt in the process.
It is a new level of honesty for Gene and a start. He has more to do and he ought to at this phase of his life be more than able, if willing,
to make amends to everyone he hurt--not just Shannon.

I am glad to see the honesty. Paul strikes me as the most honest of the lot.
Joseph Kiss Jr.
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Joseph Kiss Jr. »

TarynWay wrote:I am glad to see the honesty. Paul strikes me as the most honest of the lot.
You might be right; but it still doesn't say all that much!
gshaller

Post by gshaller »

redinthesky wrote:
Strutter67 wrote:
GermanKissFan wrote:
"BACKBONE"???

Bullying? Who is condoning bullying? Funny, I didn't realize I was being "bullied" when I hear the occasional Irish drinking joke.

No, I think you did.
How is it a "joke" when you're doing your job serving people food, and someone you're serving is making fun of the way you talk? What's the "joke" there? Is the waiter in on the "joke," or is it at his expense?
Philly Cheese

Post by Philly Cheese »

gshaller wrote:
redinthesky wrote:
Strutter67 wrote:
GermanKissFan wrote:
"BACKBONE"???

No, I think you did.
How is it a "joke" when you're doing your job serving people food, and someone you're serving is making fun of the way you talk? What's the "joke" there? Is the waiter in on the "joke," or is it at his expense?
Thank you.
genesim

Post by genesim »

I don't think there is anything sinister about someone collecting Nazi crap. It happens, and Ace was a young adult at the time.

The pictures of Paul are typical of the two face.

Yes Peter could have used more tact, but there are kinds of offensive things that are being said, and trust me I know...making fun of Asians is common place and I can know for certain Paul has done it too.

As for Gene "marketing genius" my ass. KISS is his one and only discovery and he has been building off that his whole life.

Ace and Peter walked away from it because that is not their style. Gene whores himself out in every way possible and he is whoring him self out based on what others helped him build. Gene and Paul should be more thankful for what Ace and Peter helped them make.

There are many "fans" that will hold up for that crap and be blinded by their ass kissing. It is really hard to see when you are buried that far up there.

Gene and Paul helped make some great music and I appreciate that. But doing a reality show and putting a name on just about anything you find doesn't make you a genius. Kiss sells...we all know that. Big deal. The music is what matters, but I guess they don't feel that way anymore which is why they have this stupid football venture.