OUTRAGE!!! - RRHOF INDUCTS UNKNOWN FORMER DRUMMER W/NIRVANA!

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
KISS70
Banned

OUTRAGE!!! - RRHOF INDUCTS UNKNOWN FORMER DRUMMER W/NIRVANA!

Post by KISS70 »

Exclusive: Former Nirvana Drummer Chad Channing will be Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Ex-Nirvana drummer, Chad Channing, will be inducted with the band into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April 10th. Channing will be included with Krist Novoselic, Dave Grohl and the late Kurt Cobain.

Channing was in Nirvana for two years surrounding the release of their debut album Bleach, but was replaced by Grohl during the recordings of Nevermind.

Chad Channing says he will be in Brooklyn for the Induction Ceremony, but has no plans to perform.

There is often controversy over which band members actually get their names on the Hall of Fame wall in Cleveland. The Rock Hall makes the decision, but doesn’t have any stated criteria for how they make the rulings or have any consistency from band to band or year to year. Look no further than fellow-2014 inductees Kiss to find bitterness and hard feelings over the decision.*

One could infer from their recent decisions that the Rock Hall tends to honor only the band members who were involved in (what they consider to be) significant recordings, although there are exceptions to that vague criteria as well.**

* - Only the original four members of Kiss are being inducted. Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons decided not to perform at the Induction Ceremony because of the Rock Hall’s decision to exclude additional current and former members of Kiss.

** - Just last year, John Rutsey, who like Chad Channing, only played on a debut album, was NOT inducted with Rush.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blog.p ... try-id-305
Last edited by KISS70 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
NIGHTTHING
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: OUTRAGE!!! - RRHOF INDUCTS UNKNOWN FORMER DRUMMER W/NIRV

Post by NIGHTTHING »

Sauce?
khan_tusion
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by khan_tusion »

Well that means they are inducting the original line-up. Surely the Kiss style controversy is that Dave Grohl, a "replacement", is also being inducted.
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

NIGHTTHING wrote:Sauce?
Vodka
tasmith72
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tasmith72 »

Just more proof that KISS shouldn't go in...flip the HOF the big one...all or none, one for all!
Always hated the HOF and loved KISS without it...
tasmith72
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tasmith72 »

:shock:
Last edited by tasmith72 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

If this is true it really is an outrage...
Eric Carr was in the band 11 years and is certainly more well known.
KISS70
Banned

Post by KISS70 »

Curveboy wrote:If this is true it really is an outrage...
Agreed! This is the RRHOF telling Paul Stanley, KISS, and ALL KISS fans to FUCK OFF!!!

A similar possibility was discussed in the Pat Smear thread back in December:
https://www.kissfaq.com/forum24/viewtopi ... w=previous
Last edited by KISS70 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
kissjrj
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissjrj »

Paul and Gene shouldn't even show up at this crappy ceremony; if they do they should call them out and say "no thank you" and walk away from the podium.
tasmith72
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by tasmith72 »

KISS70 wrote:
Agreed! This is the RRHOF telling Paul Stanley, KISS, and ALL KISS fans to FUCK OFF!!!

That's exactly what we SHOULD do! If we can't play on their court, we should build our own!
The criteria to this "club" never made sense. Nothing against other genres of music, but they DO NOT belong in the ROCK and ROLL Hall Of Fame.
It's like if Jethro Tull won a Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental over someone, like say, Metallica...what? That actually happened? :shock:
Suits in charge...
necronomicon

Post by necronomicon »

Channing's contribution was to 1 of 3 studio albums and he was in the band for 2 of the 7 years it was active, so proportionally his contribution is definitely similar to Singer, Thayer, Carr and Kulick.
shaner5150

Post by shaner5150 »

KISS70 wrote: Agreed! This is the RRHOF telling Paul Stanley, KISS, and ALL KISS fans to FUCK OFF!!!
I've been saying that since this whole drama began.
SW
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by SW »

Please enlighten me which would be Eric Carr's equivalent album to Nevermind
cwr18

Post by cwr18 »

KISS70 wrote:Exclusive: Former Nirvana Drummer Chad Channing will be Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Ex-Nirvana drummer, Chad Channing, will be inducted with the band into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April 10th. Channing will be included with Krist Novoselic, Dave Grohl and the late Kurt Cobain.

Channing was in Nirvana for two years surrounding the release of their debut album Bleach, but was replaced by Grohl during the recordings of Nevermind.

Chad Channing says he will be in Brooklyn for the Induction Ceremony, but has no plans to perform.

There is often controversy over which band members actually get their names on the Hall of Fame wall in Cleveland. The Rock Hall makes the decision, but doesn’t have any stated criteria for how they make the rulings or have any consistency from band to band or year to year. Look no further than fellow-2014 inductees Kiss to find bitterness and hard feelings over the decision.*

One could infer from their recent decisions that the Rock Hall tends to honor only the band members who were involved in (what they consider to be) significant recordings, although there are exceptions to that vague criteria as well.**

* - Only the original four members of Kiss are being inducted. Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons decided not to perform at the Induction Ceremony because of the Rock Hall’s decision to exclude additional current and former members of Kiss.

** - Just last year, John Rutsey, who like Chad Channing, only played on a debut album, was NOT inducted with Rush.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blog.p ... try-id-305
The HOF is really exposing its starchamber elitism. Yes, it ramps it up another notch against our boys. Yes, expect them to fire back.
Uzi_of_Ooze
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

SW wrote:Please enlighten me which would be Eric Carr's equivalent album to Nevermind
The same could be asked of Chad Channing.
SW
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by SW »

Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:
SW wrote:Please enlighten me which would be Eric Carr's equivalent album to Nevermind
Channing is on their debut album
Last edited by SW on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
saintsinner2007

Post by saintsinner2007 »

Channing was not the drummer on Nevermind.

He does appear on Bleach, their true first album. Also, he appears on various CD's released in the pastr decade that had older demos or live tracks.

Truth is, I don't think one perosn in the mainstream sees Channing as a member of Nirvana. If someone here does not see this as a further F.U. to KISS, they are blind. I'm not saying the did this because of KISS, but if it doesn't show the difference in the way the bands are being treated, I don't know what does.
Uzi_of_Ooze

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

SW wrote:
Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:
Which isn't Nevermind. Just trying to figure out what the point was.

So instead the question should have been "Please enlighten me which would be Eric Carr's equivalent album to Bleach".
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

KISS70 wrote:

:idea: :lol: Agreed
Diss

Post by Diss »

necronomicon wrote:Channing's contribution was to 1 of 3 studio albums and he was in the band for 2 of the 7 years it was active, so proportionally his contribution is definitely similar to Singer, Thayer, Carr and Kulick.
You guys are just going by "years in a band." You have to consider other issues, too.

And yes, I agree that the rules are random and in many cases ridiculous (Rutsey should've definitely been in).

But that first album, "Bleach," is considered almost as influential as "Nevermind" in the punk scene. "Nevermind" broke the band, but "Bleach" is what really got the buzz going for them, so it's not a big surprise to me they would take that into consideration.

I still say the notion of Tommy Thayer getting in is outright ridiculous. Not because I have anything against him, but just because of things that should be obvious. Eric Singer as well, but slightly less so. I could see the case made for any of the others, though. And the process overall definitely stinks.
SW
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by SW »

Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:
SW wrote:
Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:

So instead the question should have been "Please enlighten me which would be Eric Carr's equivalent album to Bleach".
Quite simple really .....Channing was on a highly influential debut album Bleach. Grohl was on a HUGE and influential album NEVERMIND. Eric Carr was NEVER on any album that comes anywhere remotely close either of those albums.
kissologistna
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kissologistna »

Uzi_of_Ooze

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

SW wrote:
Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:
SW wrote:
Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:

Quite simple really .....Channing was on a highly influential debut album Bleach. Grohl was on a HUGE and influential album NEVERMIND. Eric Carr was NEVER on any album that comes anywhere remotely close either of those albums.
Still trying to figure out why you used Nevermind instead of Bleach in the Eric Carr question. Not debating the merits of Bleach but by asking for Eric's equivalent to Nevermind and not the ALBUM that Chad played on seems to downplay Bleach's "influence".

EDIT: Your comparison was more arguing why Grohl, a replacement, is being inducted. I see.
Last edited by Uzi_of_Ooze on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diss

Post by Diss »

Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:
SW wrote:
Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:

KISS didn't produce any albums with Carr in the band that were as influential as "Bleach." Not even close. That album was described as having "defined the entire decade of the nineties." It certainly didn't define it for ME, but that's still what's said about it.

I'd rather listen to "Creatures." But no one is going to call that album influential on a big scale.
KISS70
Banned

Post by KISS70 »

Diss wrote:
Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:
SW wrote:
Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:

KISS didn't produce any albums with Carr in the band that were as influential as "Bleach." Not even close. That album was described as having "defined the entire decade of the nineties." It certainly didn't define it for ME, but that's still what's said about it.

I'd rather listen to "Creatures." But no one is going to call that album influential on a big scale.
Bleach sold a whopping 40,000 units!!! Couldn't have been too influential.

Sure, after Nevermind came out and sold 30MM units, a bunch of people went back and purchased a couple of million copies.
Fartbone
Banned

Post by Fartbone »

Bleach is better than anything Eric Carr ever played on with Kiss.
macfan72870
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by macfan72870 »

Not surprised at all. Since the hall of shame are such shitvana nut lickers.
Uzi_of_Ooze

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

Fartbone wrote:In my opinion Bleach is better than anything Eric Carr ever played on with Kiss.
FYP
Fartbone
Banned

Post by Fartbone »

Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:
Fartbone wrote:In my opinion Bleach is better than anything Eric Carr ever played on with Kiss.
FYP
Bullshit, it's fact. You hair metal guys can't be fucking serious.
dirtyharry74
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by dirtyharry74 »

EFF U Rock Hall. You kept Eric Carr out.

When Sabbath went in circa 2006, it was only the originals though Ronnie should have been added.

Though for Metallica it is James, Lars, Kirk, Cliff, Jason, and Robert all in (but not Ron or Dave). Stupid political piece of crap museum.

Let us not induct Deep Purple but put in Grandmaster Flash. WTF!?
Uzi_of_Ooze

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

Fartbone wrote:
Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:
FYP
"Hair metal guys". Funny.

I listened to Nirvana when Nevermind blew up. I actually still remember the 1st time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in the fall of '91. I liked Nirvana. Still do to an extent.

But to say "fact" regarding an opinion that can't be validated one way or the other is hilarious.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Haters gonna hate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Shows how an agenda slants ones views. WITHOUT NEVERMIND, Nirvana,Bleach or Tatum would have never been heard of outside of Seattle. Now, people agendas have them claiming how important that album was. :lol:

Just shows the Committee's hate of KISS and further proves that any other band gets who they ask for.
Diss

Post by Diss »

KISS70 wrote:Bleach sold a whopping 40,000 units!!! Couldn't have been too influential.

Sure, after Nevermind came out and sold 30MM units, a bunch of people went back and purchased a couple of million copies.
"Never Mind the Bollocks" by the Sex Pistols didn't reach platinum status for nearly 20 years after it was released, and it's widely regarded as one of the top 10 most influential albums of all time. ANd I don't even think it's DOUBLE platinum at this point.

Sales don't always equate to influence. Who were those 40,000? And what did some of them go on to do?
saintsinner2007

Chad Channing is in the Hall.

Ronnie James Dio is not.

Show me the logic there. Mind you I love the Bleach record, and was not a fan of Dio's solo stuff but who was more well known, and had more of an impact on Rock? There is no question about that, regardless of my own opinions.
Ace Fury

Post by Ace Fury »

Chad should be inducted. Bleach is a better album then Nevermind.
Diss

Post by Diss »

saintsinner2007 wrote:Chad Channing is in the Hall.

Ronnie James Dio is not.

Show me the logic there. Mind you I love the Bleach record, and was not a fan of Dio's solo stuff but who was more well known, and had more of an impact on Rock? There is no question about that, regardless of my own opinions.

THAT is fact. And that DEFINITELY shows where the people who vote for these things heads are at when it comes to metal and hard rock music.

Then again, Chad is being inducted as PART of a greater whole: Nirvana. And despite what anyone thinks of them, it'd be pretty hard to argue against Nirvana being more influential in the grand scheme of rock than RJD and anything he's done. But yeah, when you pit it as RJD vs. Chad Channing, it does seem moronic.
Last edited by Diss on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Ronnie James Dio is not.

Dio wasn't asked for with BS, give you one guess whose manager/wife blocked that one. :lol:

Chad being inducted just shows that the RARHOF gave Nirvana what it asked for. Most likely it was Grohl that asked for his predecessor to be included. He's usually a class act.
Fartbone
Banned

Post by Fartbone »

Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:
Fartbone wrote:
Uzi_of_Ooze wrote:
FYP
"Hair metal guys". Funny.

I listened to Nirvana when Nevermind blew up. I actually still remember the 1st time I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in the fall of '91. I liked Nirvana. Still do to an extent.

But to say "fact" regarding an opinion that can't be validated one way or the other is hilarious.
You do know that I fully think Eric should be in too.

Well I fortunately listened to bleach before nevermind was released. Surprise, some people actually bought sub pop records before nevermind.
KISS70
Banned

Post by KISS70 »

Diss wrote:
KISS70 wrote:Bleach sold a whopping 40,000 units!!! Couldn't have been too influential.

"Never Mind the Bollocks" by the Sex Pistols didn't reach platinum status for nearly 20 years after it was released, and it's widely regarded as one of the top 10 most influential albums of all time. ANd I don't even think it's DOUBLE platinum at this point.

Sales don't always equate to influence. Who were those 40,000? And what did some of them go on to do?
I appreciate your argument... but NMTB didn't have a 30MM selling follow up -- resulting in a bunch of people picking it up. NMTB stands on its own.

To be fair, my position could be applied to the first three KISS albums. They only sold because people went back to discover the studio albums.
saintsinner2007

kissthat wrote:

Ronnie James Dio is not.

Dio wasn't asked for with BS, give you one guess whose manager/wife blocked that one. :lol:

Chad being inducted just shows that the RARHOF gave Nirvana what it asked for. Most likely it was Grohl that asked for his predecessor to be included. He's usually a class act.
Oh, I completely understand the politics behind why it is the way it is. But, if you have a HoF, politics should not enter the discussion. Just like personal feelings about an artist should not enter either.

I might not like artists like Michael Jackson or Madonna, but I can not deny the influence they had on music. Do they belong in a Hall of Fame, no question (forget for a moment that it is called RNR). Can't I say that

And, I agree about Grohl. He is a class act, or at least seems so. I've become more and more of a fan of his over the years.
saintsinner2007

Diss wrote:

Ronnie James Dio is not.

THAT is fact. And that DEFINITELY shows where the people who vote for these things heads are at when it comes to metal and hard rock music.

Then again, Chad is being inducted as PART of a greater whole: Nirvana. And despite what anyone thinks of them, it'd be pretty hard to argue against Nirvana being more influential in the grand scheme of rock than RJD and anything he's done. But yeah, when you pit it as RJD vs. Chad Channing, it does seem moronic.
I agree about Nirvana as a whole. Love them or hate them, you can't deny the impact they had. And, if you are going to induct bands "as a whole", that is fine, RJD should be there. So should Bruce, Eric, Eric and Tommy. Regardless of how I feel.
nibbler1982
Dots are People Too
Dots are People Too

Post by nibbler1982 »

I DARE ANY OF YOU...I TRIPLE DOG DARE ANY OF YOU TO RATIONALIZE THIS ONE!!!

In 2012 Josh Klinghoffer was inducted in the RARHOF fame with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, at this point he had currently been in the band for 18 months and recorded one studio album, I'm With You (2011). As of 2/26/2014 he is the youngest member ever to be inducted at age 32, surpassing true rock icon Stevie Wonder who was 38 at the time of induction.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?

I'm gonna go on record saying that at the time of voting the RHCP in...NINETY NINE PERCENT of the voting committee, including recording artists, had (have) no fucking clue who Josh Klinghoffer was (is). Do any of you really think there was even O-N-E person who said, "Well...in the past 18 months Josh single handedly has turned the world of rock upside down, even more so than Stevie and just HAS to be inducted in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame!!!" It's absolutely ludicrous.

I DARE ALL OF YOU!
KISS70
Banned

Post by KISS70 »

The Trujillo precedent will haunt the HOF forever. Klinghoffer was icing on the cake in 2012!
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

Diss wrote:
Uzi_of_Ooze wrote: KISS didn't produce any albums with Carr in the band that were as influential as "Bleach." Not even close. That album was described as having "defined the entire decade of the nineties." It certainly didn't define it for ME, but that's still what's said about it.

Creatures influenced drum sounds and production for years...without Creatures there is no Powerstation.

Bleach was considered a minor work...it didn't have the reach Nevermind or In Utereo had.
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

Fartbone wrote:Bleach is better than anything Eric Carr ever played on with Kiss.
Insane...and wrong.
Uzi_of_Ooze

Post by Uzi_of_Ooze »

nibbler1982 wrote:I DARE ANY OF YOU...I TRIPLE DOG DARE ANY OF YOU TO RATIONALIZE THIS ONE!!!

In 2012 Josh Klinghoffer was inducted in the RARHOF fame with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, at this point he had currently been in the band for 18 months and recorded one studio album, I'm With You (2011). As of 2/26/2014 he is the youngest member ever to be inducted at age 32, surpassing true rock icon Stevie Wonder who was 38 at the time of induction.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?

I'm gonna go on record saying that at the time of voting the RHCP in...NINETY NINE PERCENT of the voting committee, including recording artists, had (have) no fucking clue who Josh Klinghoffer was (is). Do any of you really think there was even O-N-E person who said, "Well...in the past 18 months Josh single handedly has turned the world of rock upside down, even more so than Stevie and just HAS to be inducted in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame!!!" It's absolutely ludicrous.

I DARE ALL OF YOU!
It's insane but if you are looking for any evidence that would point to why he was inducted it's that on the one album that he has played on with the band he is a credited co-writer on every song. Weak argument and even more absurd when you realize that Dave Navarro didn't go in for his, arguably much more important, contributions to the band.
StarPower
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by StarPower »

KISS70 wrote:

I always thought if there would be a 5th member, it should be Eric Carr and if there would be a 6th, it would be Bruck Kulick.
PUNCHLINE

Post by PUNCHLINE »

Curveboy wrote:
Creatures influenced drum sounds and production for years...without Creatures there is no Powerstation.
Rubbish. The famous large gated drum sounds of pop music were far more influenced by the work Steve Lilywhite and Hugh Padgham did with Phil Collins, but the sound and style goes back further with Bowie and Peter Gabriel for example.
Fartbone
Banned

Post by Fartbone »

Curveboy wrote:
Fartbone wrote:Bleach is better than anything Eric Carr ever played on with Kiss.
Insane...and wrong.
I relish being wrong then but very much not insane. This is insane.

Fartbone
Banned

Post by Fartbone »

Fartbone wrote:
Curveboy wrote:
Insane...and wrong.
I relish being wrong then but very much not insane. This is insane.

HOW IN THE MOTHERFUCK CAN ANY OF YOU GUYS LIKE THIS LOOK AND STYLE? THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!