Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 am

KissFAQ Members Review "Hell Or Hallelujah"

KissFAQ Members Review "Hell Or Hallelujah"
Fans sound off on the new KISS single

With "Monster" having been locked away since January, KISS fans have been waiting impatiently for a taste, a clip...if only a snippet of a brand-new KISS song. Thirsts were finally quenched as "Hell Or Hallelujah" was released on July 2-3 as a digital single internationally and in the United States, respectively.

Like "Modern Day Delilah"'s debut in August 2009, reactions were both immediate and mixed to the new Paul Stanley-sung track. To properly capture the moment for Kissterity, we took the song's temperature reading from "all the wild people ova here": the members the KissFAQ community. Whether it was a succinct sentence or a descriptive summary, KissFAQ members were asked to stand up and fire off their immediate takes. What did they have to say? Read on...

(Reviewers were asked to provide a song description and a "Behind The Mask"-style 0-5 star rating.)

Anomaly

Rating: 3 stars
Ever since putting the makeup back on, KISS had knocked it out of the park with both the lead-off singles for "Psycho Circus" and "Sonic Boom." It only seemed logical that the leadoff single for the self-proclaimed return to heavier roots for "Monster" would blow me away. Unfortunately, it seems that "Hell Or Hallelujah" has come up a bit short for me. The 30-second sample made available last week sounded absolutely fantastic, the verse up to that point sounded great, and the first half of the chorus sounded very strong; the guitars were blazing and Gene's bass was snarling at it's best. When the full song made itself available yesterday I feel that certain areas of the song that I thought were going to be the high points ended up coming off weak. Paul's vocal strain was clear as day during the verses and the bridge while the chorus started off strong but faltered in the second half of it. The guitar solo, while clearly showcasing Tommy Thayer to be Tommy Thayer, didn't have that KISS-like memorable, hummable quality to it. But, while the song was a bit of a letdown for me, there were many signs that if HoH were to be indicative of what the rest of the album would sound like we seem to be expecting a completely original sounding record that's very riff-oriented and sped up from it's predecessor "Sonic Boom." While I'm not too big on the song I genuinely hope KISS knocks it out of the ballpark for what everyone seems to think will be their final album. Let's hope the autumn brings just that final Bang! that we've been looking for.

Anthony Wright

Rating: 5 stars
KISS is back with a new single, and it was worth the wait. HoH combines the gritty groove of "Alive II"'s side 4, with the sleazy and up-beat drive of albums like "Animalize" and "Asylum." Paul Stanley may not have the full range he had in years past, but once the song gets rolling you forget anything is missing. He has no fear either, as his vocals are up front in the mix and not buried under the music. Guitarist Tommy Thayer has fond his own voice on the new track, breaking away from modeling himself after Ace Frehley, and putting his own stamp on the lead parts and solo of HoH, and it is more than welcome. HoH is a return to form of sorts for KISS. It marks the first time in 20 years that they stopped trying to be what they thought people wanted them to be, and just went back to writing driving riffs with infectious lyrics. While much of their previous album "Sonic Boom" sounded like a band who was trying to recapture something from their past, possibly even a little bit contrived on top of that, HoH sounds like a band hitting their stride with their current line up. People who say KISS should retire may want to take note of this new song as it sounds like KISS may have other plans.

Audrius
To me it's KISS. And I like that it's speedy. Wish the entire album to follow that manner.

awawaw

No Rating
I like the song. It's good up-tempo. It's starts pretty much like a mix of "I Stole Your Love" and "All American Man." I also hear "Heart Of Chrome" in the stopages. The only thing I don't really like is Tommy's main soloing. Most of it sounds pretty bad to my ears and just doesn't fit the song.

B5Erik
Rating 4 stars
KISS is back!! Well, they're back in that they've got a new single out -- one that is the leadoff from their upcoming "Monster" album. But are they back on track? Back in classic form? Back In Black? [Tommy DeVito]How the (bleep) are they back?[/Tommy DeVito] They're back with an uptempo, high energy song in the form of "Hell Or Hallelujah," which also happens to be their first new song in almost three years. It's a solid song, a good song, but one that doesn't quite reach it's full potential. It has echoes of "I Stole Your Love" and "Danger Us," from their own catalog, as well as a bit of "There's Only One Way To Rock" by Sammy Hagar. It's not exactly the most original sounding song in their catalog. It is very familiar, and that does take away from the song just a bit --as does Paul Stanley's somewhat ragged vocal performance. Still, the song is loaded with enough good riffs and fairly memorable vocal melodies that when combined with that tempo and energy level it becomes more than the sum of it's parts. It's a solid, fun, enjoyable song. And it's a bit of a grower -- it grows on you a bit. While not as good as the lead single from the last KISS album ("Modern Day Delilah," from "Sonic Boom"), it is definitely worthy of the KISS legacy. It's a good song. Not great, but good.

blackdiamond
From a sound perspective it follows what was done on "Sonic Boom." The song is more uptempo than what we have heard for some time and that's a good thing -- quite energetic. But the song is not written in a way that makes it exciting enough for me. I wish they could let go of the typical '80s standard song writing and come up with something a little bit different. The way Paul builds up the pre chorus for the chorus is something it seems he just can't get out of doing. The solo from Tommy is good. Not fantastic but good. Anyway, I look forward to the full album release!

bobrod
Rating: 2.5 stars

I've been listening to it all night and I'm having a really hard time getting into it. I think the intro guitar riff is the best part, as it sounds like a classic '70s style KISS guitar riff. Tommy's solo is pretty good too. I absolutely hate Gene's bass sound. Not enough low end. It drives me crazy. At times I find the song a bit monotonous. Everything seems to float around that one A chord and it really doesn't go anywhere. I'm not crazy about the bridge. I do love the energy, but as a whole, I'm disappointed right now. I'll try it again tomorrow and see if I can have a different opinion.

butkus

Rating: 4 stars
It sounds like a cross between "Under The Gun" and "I've Had Enough" minus the machine gun thunder drum work from Eric Carr. I just ain't too impressed with the drumming (otherwise a 5). I hope the drums are bombastic on the rest of the cd.

butters

One star for every gear this song makes me grab...it's gonna give me a ticket yet.

Byron (bigdaddyb)
HOH (who really wants to spell Hallelujah?) starts off with a cool riff sort of like All American Man meets One Way To Rock (by Sammy Hagar) meets Anyway You Slice It (off Asylum) meets Burn Bitch Burn (off Animalize). Sonically it's a sister record to Boom, but a little more tinny sounding to my ears and not as full and bombastic as Modern Day Delilah or Sonic Boom was to my ears. Tommy seems like he's out to prove he's more than an Ace duplicator on this record, which is nice to hear his own style and influences come into play. Also, I really like the stop and starts before the solo, which then dives into the Vinnie Vincent/Bob Kulick book of phrasing which is still really cool and familiar as Kiss songs and solos should be. The lyrics don't make too much sense to me but neither did Deuce. The bass, drums are really cool sounds and I dig some of the fills Gene throws in. Paul vocally sounds good here, I would be far pressed to say if it was pre- or post -surgery on his throat but live is where this song will really get its true test. For me I give it a 3 out of 5 since like MDD it didn't knock my socks off but I'm sure it might grow on me as time goes by as not all songs will kick your butt out of the gate.

cadillac73
No Rating
Yay, new KISS!!!!!!

commedimus
No Rating
I have refrained from commenting on this song simply because it is new and I wanted it to sink in a bit before making rash judgements. I can't say what I will think in 6 months, but at the moment, I think it is fantastic! I have heard the comments about the songs and eras this song sounds like and I see various aspects of that. OTH, I don't feel like this sounds like a real 80's era song. I kind of feel like I did when I first heard Dynasty...... It just sounds different. I can't pin-point it to a particular time , other than to say it has a vintage vibe, but it doesn't sound like the 70's either. Overall, I think it sounds like an evolution from Sonic Boom, faster and with more edge. I never take it seriously when they say it is a cross between Destroyer (and in this case, Revenge). I think the opening riff is good but, on it's own, it is one of endless variations of this riff that these guys have done from the 70's through the 80's. One thing I love is that after the whole band kicks in, there is a guitar playing octaves or something and it is phased and sounds spectacular. One of the best things in the song is the pre-chorus. The chorus itself, isn't as good but isn't bad either. I like Tommy myself but I am not super crazy about his fills or solo on this song. It isn't bad, it just sounds tossed off (for the most part). Actually, it sounds a bit like a modern day Ace solo as Ace doesn't seem to compose his solos as much now and it shows (I am an Ace fan, it isn't meant as a dig. I feel the same way about later day Eddie Van Halen..... sometimes spontaneity just sounds unrehearsed and tossed off). I don't care for the spoken part near the end either. I love the vibe on this song. Right now, I feel it is better than the first singles from the last couple albums. That could change with time. I really liked MDD at the time and it made me excited for the album. I never really thought SB was anything other than good. I don't feel the excitement that I did at that time, I think because it hasn't been 11 years since the last album, as well as, I know how let down I was with the last album because, I started to believe what they said (to some extent) to build up that album. I also don't think things would be much different with Ace & Peter. I am sure there would be aspects of the sound that would be more like kiss (especially coming from Ace). OTH, almost none of these bands sound as they did when they were first going. Musicians evolve & change the way they play and I have yet to hear an older band that will totally sound like they did in the old days. It virtually never happens, the closest you get is a combo of the vintage vibe and their more modern sound.

CrimeDawg

Really like the song, really like Tommy's Solo. I look forward to hearing this one live. Definitely like it better than MDD off "Sonic Boom." Took me a while to warm up to that one.

Curveboy

Rating: 3.5 stars
Locked somewhere between "I Stole You Love" and "Fits Like A Glove" comes "Hell Or Hallelujah." While its great to hear a rip-roarin' uptempo tune from the current incarnation of KISS, it is not as immediately accessible or as catchy as "Modern Day Delilah" was. And it's still hard to grasp the sound we are going to get from "Monster" from an MP3 (I'm a firm believer in CD) but from what I can tell it seems to be a bit bigger then the 70's sound they were shooting for on "Sonic Boom."

Diego1979

Revigorado após Sonic Boom, o KISS retorna com um gás típico de uma banda nova. Como se estivesse em seu segundo disco evidencia-se a necessidade de se provar igual ou superior, desta vez sem lançar mão do velho truque de recuperar demos antigas. A acelerada Hell Or Hallelujah une a sonoridade clássica de I Stole Your Love com o peso de Exciter, ou seja, duas fases distintas numa canção só. Tudo está no seu lugar, graças a Deus: letra maliciosa, um riff à la Deep Purple (cortesia de Tommy Thayer), baixo e backing vocals nervosos de Gene Simmons, bateria firme de Eric Singer e um vocal guerreiro de Paul Stanley. Embora sua voz demonstre sinais de cansaço, o velho Paul não esmorece e continua a cantar em nome do rock’n’roll, para a alegria dos fãs. Que venha o monstro!

(Diego1979 English translation: Reinvigorated after Sonic Boom, KISS returns with a gas typical of a new band. As if in their second album highlights the need to prove or more, this time without resorting to the old trick of recovering old demos. The accelerated "Hell Or Hallelujah" unites classic sounds "I Stole Your Love" with the weight of "Exciter," i.e., two distinct phases in a single song. Everything is in place, thanks to God, a riff à la Deep Purple (courtesy of Tommy Thayer), bass and backing vocals by Gene Simmons, Eric Singer's drums and firm voice, and the warrior Paul Stanley. Though his voice shows signs of tiredness, it does not detract from the old Paul and he continues to sing in the name of rock and roll, to the delight of fans. Here comes the "Monster"!)

d4nugster

I need top say this upfront. My enjoyment of new KISS music will always be tainted by Tommy being there in Ace's makeup. It shouldn't matter but it is for me. That said, I hope this is not indicative of the whole record as it comes across as too pedestrian for me. It lacks the oomph and grandeur of such songs as "Creatures," "Tears Are Falling" or maybe that fake lineup song "Psycho Circus." It feels like a by the numbers attempt to sound current and ballsy but ultimately sounds lacking.

drgbootz

Rating: 4.5 stars
A barnstormer in the best traditions of "I Stole Your Love" or "Makin' Love." Certainly a best of '80s feel in there, and a dose of Purple's "Burn." Nice to hear the energy and passion back in the delivery. Happy!

Erwin

I love how the song is raw and up-tempo and the tone on the guitars -- all sounds good. Paul's vocals still sound good in the studio. Bring it on October 15!

Evo999

This song is a good rocker. I think Gene's bass playing is the highlight, some great movement that keeps the song rolling. Tommy does a nice job on the lead work, not overly Ace-like, but also not really memorable either. The descending double bends actually remind of more of Bruce's outro work on "Master And Slave" on COS. Paul's vocals are ok, I think he'll pull this off live, time will tell. Overall a good tune but not a home-run. I would take a full album of this from KISS at this point. It has great energy and sets the tone for what will be (hopefully) a heavier album than "Sonic Boom."

gothunder
No Rating
Sounds like a sister song to "Danger Us," but better.

gshaller
KISS cranked out a stomper on this track. It's heavy, driving, and has plenty of attitude. Moreover, it doesn't sound like a compilation of their past work; they retained what defines KISS without any overt recycling. Slick guitar solo, punchy bass playing, and rock-solid drumming support an impassioned vocal for this sneak-peek of what may be a killer album.

HankHabanero
No Rating
I think most of us are KISS fans, and while that doesn't and shouldn't mean holding back negative reviews, we should all be mindful of how a song impacts us when it is new and then how it holds up later. There's absolutely nothing like hearing a new KISS song for the first time, even after four decades! I STILL remember the excitement of the "Modern Day Delilah" preview clips for "Sonic Boom" and how stoked I was because it was being hyped as a return to a "classic KISS sound." "Sonic Boom" is still a good album and I still listen to it. But if I posted my reviews of MDD within the first week of its release and compared those thoughts to how it strikes me now, there would be some differences. By the way, still in the honeymoon phase with the song. I think it rocks pretty hard with intent and pace. Always good to hear Gene and Paul singing and playing on a record. I don't think its Paul's best singing by any measure, and I am concerned about his vocal problems. I almost try to hear HOH with "Love Gun"-era Paul singing it. And I confess I imagine '70s era Peter and Ace on there for comparison, though their styles would've brought a different vibe. That's a diehard for you though. Good song. I like the rhythmic stops and accents that happen in places. Pretty thoughtful IMO. Ready for the rest of this album no matter how Paul and the guys are sounding live right now.

HarleyQuinn

I thought I heard a little bit of 'I Stole Your Love." Very energetic! I love it!!

Hellbastard
Rating: 2 stars

Much as I was pleasantly surprised by "Sonic Boom," this is not up to that standard -- I guess this is what I had expected Boom to be. It is way too 1984 for my taste. The verse is decent, the bridge is good, but to my ears, the chorus is about as catchy as that of ”Boomerang."

Hi I'm Witz

I like (don't love) the song. I like the fast tempo and the guitar tone. Lyrically, it's just OK. The drums I would've preferred to be a little more thunderous and out front in the mix and Paul's vocals by default bring the song down just a notch. Sorry but I'm just having a hard time accepting the raspy warbling Paul vocals. I'm too spoiled by years of the crystal clear with perfect control Paul vocals.

HotintheshadeCC
This is the sound they should be going for with this lineup. KISS can't do the '70s sound well without Peter and Ace. I have a feeling this record is going to be very good.

IAS
No Rating
Now that i heard the full song, I find a blend of "All American Man" and "King Of The Mountain." "Alive II" (side 4) meets "Revenge."

Iceman

Blistering!

jackstar74
No Rating
So, finally had some time to absorb this tune. Much better than anything on "Sonic Boom." And I finally have to give Tommy credit. Though there are some "Ace-isms" in the song, the style of the solo is more Tommy than Ace...which was unlike "Sonic Boom" in which he pulled every Ace lick known to man. This is what I wanted...Tommy to be Tommy. Sorry, there is only one Spaceman and that's Ace Frehley. But low and behold, Tommy is allowed to be himself. Great track. Can't wait to hear rest of the record!

Julian Gill (Admin)

For a band that's been "my band," for more than a quarter century, there has always been something almost magical about hearing something new from them for the first time. It has never been about whether that "new" thing has been some rare archival recording that's just surfaced, or a brand-spanking-new studio recording. Those decades ago, when I first became a fan, I'd never had thought that 40 years in KISS would still be recording and releasing new music. In that sense 2009-2012 have been "hallelujah," following the "hell" and confusion of 1998-2008. For all that "Hell Or Hallelujah" is touted to be a classic KISS track, perhaps it's impossible for KISS to escape their past. Or for a fan not to hear too much of the back catalog in everything they do. Perhaps the decades of over-analyzing every aspect, the minutiae, the meaningless, has made me immune to the joy and excitement that once existed as I rushed down to the record store in hopes that they'd received their stock of the new album. Perhaps "click, pay, and receive" has transformed the paradigm into one of instantaneous non-physical interaction transaction and gratification. No effort required. But what of the song? "Hell Or Hallelujah" is certainly not rubbish. It's nowhere near "Revenge" or "Destroyer" and strikes me more as a bastard child of "Psycho Circus" raping "Animalize." The 70s vibe of "don't bore us, get to the chorus" is there, but unfortunately the chorus is probably the weakest link on the song. The tempo moves along like a 2012 "Under The Gun" and at no time does it get geriatric. And musically it delivers a "Lick It Up" sounding solo. In fact, it feels like everything plus the kitchen sink has been thrown in the sonic blender. Paul sounds good, the band is running full-throttle, so what more could I really want?

Just_Lee
I really like that it's an "uptempo" rocker. Something I thought "Sonic Boom" lacked. It has really grown on me the more I have listened as well. I love the guitar intro. It's heavy, fast, and fun. The chorus is really nothing that special, but overall it's a solid track in my book. Looking forward to MONSTER.

Kameron (LoveGun07)

"Hell Or Hallelujah" is, pardon the pun, the return of KISS! The song, in my opinion, features the drive and energy that KISS fans have grown to know and love. The coolest part about "Hell Or Hallelujah" is how the song seems to feature tidbits of classic KISS songs from days gone by. As the song begins, the intro is eerily reminiscent of "All American Man", but as the song progresses you can also hear bits of "I Stole Your Love" and "Under The Gun". The entire band deserves huge props on their performances, but I think Tommy Thayer would be the MVP of this track. His guitar solo was blistering, very melodic and memorable but showing off some fast finger work at the same time. The guy certainly left his mark on this track! Paul also sings with authority that only the Starchild can bring to a KISS track. This song has a quality and a personality like few have before. "Sonic Boom" was a great album, and a wonderful warmup to this upcoming release, however "Monster" seems as if it will build upon everything "Sonic Boom" was able to accomplish. If "Hell Or Hallelujah" is just the start of something good, I can't wait to hear the rest of the songs on Monster! We may be on the brink of listening to yet another klassik KISS album for the ages!

Kevin (KISSForever07)
Wow! I was completely blown away when I heard the song the first and second time all the way through. When I first heard the 90-second sample, I got excited as I always do when anything KISS pops up, and for me, this is perhaps my favorite KISS song right now. I really dig the heaviness of the music, and the lyrics are bad ass. While you can tell that Paul has some vocal issues, I thought he sounded great on the song as well as Gene, Eric, and Tommy. "Hell Or Hallelujah" has definitely raised my expectations for "Monster," and I am now craving for more heavy KISS tunes. Bring it on!

KISS777

Nice up-tempo rocker with some tasty lead guitar work. If this is what we can expect from "Monster," bring it on!

kissologistna
My introduction to HOH was the preview clips that were floating around online. You can't judge a song by hearing 30 seconds so a proper listen was in order. I shut the door to my office and turned up the volume. WOW...I was disappointed. Maybe another listen would help...nope, nothing. I burned it to a cd for the car and gave it another listen...and another. By the 3rd one, I was singing along. Now I'm hooked. My only complaint is the brickwall mastering but sadly, that's a sign of the times. Great job, KISS...I got what I should.

KISSTRONAUT

From the opening riff, I'm taken back to a '70s KISS vibe. It's got a good little groove going on in the verses, and the lyrics can be interpreted differently by the listener depending on your perspective. I love the "I'm looking thru you" Beatle phrase and the bravado of the lyrics. I love Eric's drumming and Tommy's guitar work. Paul's voice sounds very rock and roll to me here. I like Gene coming in on the chorus. I love the slow down where Paul talks near the end. I also love the guitar close out at the end. This song is a perfect jump from "Sonic Boom" to "Monster." A reviewer I'm not, but I just wanted to chime in on this one. This one just feels really good.

KISS Unmasked II
I really like it. It's big, loud and raucousy (is that a word ???). Paul's voice isn't perfect but in a strange way it kind of adds to the songs punch. He has so much attitude. There many great little moments in this song, from all the guys. To me Paul is the star of the show, but Tommy is close behind delivering some excellent little licks and runs here and there and a very cool lead break. Gene's bass has some awesome parts too, with heaps going on underneath the guitars. And Eric's drumming? Energetic, powerful and precise as always. On the negative side, it might be a little long and they could have left out the small breakdown after the lead break. Also, a few less "Yeahs" and "C'mons" throughout might have been a good idea. But apart from this minor flaws I think it's everything a good KISS song should be.

mborz

Good opening riff, not terribly original, but I'm fine with that since it does have its own small twist to make it different from the others that came before it. I like the drum sound much better than "Sonic Boom," but unfortunately it sounds like the bass drum is going to be low in the mix (as it was on "Sonic Boom"). Too many vocal chime-in's from Paul. Now, I know he always does this, and usually it doesn't bother me, but here, in a fast-moving, busy song, it's not needed, and it's getting in the way: "Woo-yea, Yea-hea, Sing it, Yeah, Let Me Hear Ya, Yeah, Yeah, One More Time, C'mon C'mon (x2), Listen." You get the point. I also would have had fewer gang vocals and would have had Gene do the "lay down," "stay down" lines alone since there are already gang vocals in the chorus. I always liked when Gene and Paul went back and forth anyway. I like Tommy's lead. I wouldn't call it mind-blowing, but it's a good solid lead, it's not a direct lift from Ace, and it fits the song well. Nice job, Tommy. Nice song overall.

Michael Edwards (mikeenc)
"Hell Or Hallelujah" is by far the most energetic thing we've heard from the band since the days of "Revenge," but going even further back, the song would fit perfectly in my opinion on "Asylum" or "Animalize." While not as strong as singles from the '80s era, the song far surpasses anything on "Sonic Boom" and it should make a fine addition to the live set. All four members shine on the track, but kudos should go especially to Eric Singer, who drives the song with a classic Carr-like beat.

mike75

It's "Love Gun" blended with "Animalize"-era KISS, which is not a bad thing at all.

MyDarkSide

After an album of material that mostly hearkened back to the band's first 10 years on "Sonic Boom," where the band maintained a audio approach that fit their 50+aged members, KISS comes screaming back with the first single off the upcoming album. The band sounds much like the 30+ year olds of the "Lick It Up"/"Animalize"/"Asylum" era on this frenetic track. With a danceable riff, memorable chorus, and bridge highlight, this may very well be the best Stanley-crooned track since "Creatures Of The Night."

Mulder
Rating: 2.5 stars
The Good...It has energy and pace. There's more life in this song than anything from the previous album. The fact that this song addresses that problem at least makes me want to check out the album when it finally gets released. The main riff is reminiscent of KISS in 77/78 and will no doubt please many fans. The Bad...More of the same contrivance that soured "Sonic Boom." This time side 4 of "Alive II" seems to be the target of the bands affections, right down to parts of the guitar solo criticisms of Tommy Thayer being a one-trick pony seem to be in doubt here. That trick being to cut and paste parts of Ace's solo's into his own. On this song he's been listening to Bob Kulick instead. So, very nice to hear him move away from the rather obvious Frehley plagiarism, but this is still far from original. My overall impression sadly is one of way too much repetition. Once you hear the first 30 seconds, you've heard it all. Less "Revenge" meets "Destroyer," more "Psycho Circus" meets "Asylum" for me.

novacide

"Asylum" feel for the intro; "Under The Gun" vibe for the verses; "Lick it Up" style chorus; "Alive II" side four inspired guitar solo. Overall, this is a pleasant return to form and definitely kicks the s*** out of half of "Sonic Boom." And that's not a criticism to "Sonic Boom." I love that album. Finally, not that he needed to prove anything, but Tommy certainly proves himself here as an established guitar player, rather than some cheap coffee boy-making, spaghetti -etching gofer he used to be known as. I like this.

parasite73

No Rating
Good song. Solid, no-nonsense rocker. Intro riff reminds me of the breakdown in "Get All You Can Take" from "Animalize."

px74
Hearing brand new KISS music is something I've never taken for granted. I'm 38 and still feel the same way when I hear new songs, as I did when I first got admitted to the KISS asylum in 1979. Since then I've seen members come and go, egos rise and fall, the good, the bad and the ugly.... However, with KISS, the good has always FAR outweighed the bad. As long as these dinosaurs are rocking, and I'm breathing God's air I will be an unabashed fan....and when they get it right like they have with this new single I hope it is a forerunner to a classic album. Forget about living in the past (70's, 80's etc.), KISS music is either great or meh. HOH is ferocious in its intent, melodic yet dangerously teetering on the brink of anarchic collapse - and more than anything veers away from the safe system employed by the KISS co. in the last few years. I salute this ballsy effort and hope that the "Monster" album is littered with material of this nature (if not better!!!).

RisingForce

Good, solid, up-tempo track. A good taste of what is hopefully to come from "Monster." It was good to see Tommy finally step up and do something a little more original instead of just copy-pasting old Ace solos like he did last time. Hope to see more of the same when the full album comes.

Rockandrolloverman
Love the song. To me, it has alot of high energy and racious power they've not displayed in a long, long time. It is not really *classic KISS* sounding, but it don't need to be. It stands on its own as its a high quality song, from not only a songwriting standpoint, but also playing and production. Good opening riff and churning verses, too. I think the song really takes flight when the bridge starts, and it really builds intensity and anticipaption for the upcoming chorus. Paul sounds great on it, and his vocals really fit the raw intensity of the song's feel. Very catchy and memorable hook to the melodies, too. Killer work by KISS in 2012, which is great to see.

sevenhellsband

I think its a very nice mix of the classic '70s feel ("I Stole Your Love," "Makin' Love," "Take Me") with a little '80s sprinkled in ("Exciter," "Gimme More," "I've Had Enough," "Under The Gun") -- so I would classify it as as "Rock Aand Roll Over"/"Love Gun" meets "Animalize"/"Lick It Up" ... I don't know how it will stand the test of time for me, but I love it right now. And for KISS its fresh, because it's the fastest most energetic tune they have done in a long time.

Shane_Penney

It is a good, solid KISS song. After almost 40 years, they can still deliver. I enjoy the beginning riff, which reminds me of "All American Man" and "Danger Us". This song could be on side IV of "Alive II," but also on "Animalize." Of course, it's better than most of "Animalize," but that's another story for another day. The big question for me is whether it's in the same ballpark the last two starting singles from a KISS studio album, "Psycho Circus" and "Modern Day Delilah." I personally think it is in the same ballpark as these other leading singles, although it is certainly very different in its structure. However, I'm inclined to say that it's in third place of those three songs. It's close, but definitely a respectable #3. None of those songs are perfect, but they are all pretty damn good in my books. I am certainly interested in hearing this song performed live this summer.

Sirscorps

Really good song, the main riff sounds a bit like Deep Purple's "Burn" & that's fine by me cause "Burn" is a great tune & if I remember correctly, Paul had stated that "I Stole Your Love" was influenced by "Burn" as well. I like the syncopation during the bridge although Eric drags the tempo down (they didn't use a click track on this album, again.) @ about the 2:56 mark. It really bugs me, tap your foot to the beat & you'll know what I mean. How did no one catch this??? Is it me or is there a chorus effect on the guitars? The band sounds looser, more comfortable w/each other on this recording, I like it. Eric sounds like he's really jamming which I don't recall hearing on "Sonic Boom." Good solo by Tommy, much less Ace-inspired than his stuff on "Sonic Boom," which is also a good thing. I feel, as well as many others, as though his solos were way too much like Ace's. I'm not going to comment on the production & sound quality since i'm listening to this on my PC but it sounds to me as if the sound is similar to "Sonic Boom" although the drums seems a bit more crisp. My only complaint is Eric dragging the tempo of the song during the one part of the bridge (the 1st time they do it.) Otherwise, as of now I give it a 5. I'm pleased as punch.

69th_B1izard

A nice uptempo song from Paul and the boys. It gets better with every listen. To me is sounds like it could come off the studio side of "Alive II" with a bit of "Animalize" thrown in. Love it!

StarChildBlade
No Rating
Hints of Angel's "Pressure Point" in the riff as well. I gotta' say. KISS is really firing on all cylinders right now. This song is exactly what I wanted from KISS. Perfect.

the_mikey

No Rating
The more I listen to this song, the more I like it. I was lukewarm at first, but I'm really digging it.

timstar78

"Hell Or Hallelujah" combines familiar KISS elements with a few tips of the classic rock hat to Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. The spirit of the song reminds me of "I Stole Your Love" -- the intro riff is even similar to the riff with which KISS used to close out the song live -- with a touch of '80s-era KISS bombast. HoH sounds like it would be home on an album like "Animalize" (an album I happen to love). In terms of the song's structure, the verses chug along nicely and there's a cool bridge, but something seems to be missing in the chorus -- it's not as hooky as "Modern Day Delilah," to draw a recent comparison. Individually, the band performances are solid. Paul's voice is rough, but it seems to suit the track. Tommy's solo is surprisingly good. (And do I hear a tambourine in the mix?) Looking forward to the rest of the album.

toddroxx

No Rating
That guitar intro totally reminds me of a Cinderella tune and then later in the song I swear it reminds me of another Cinderella tune called "Second Wind." Go take a listen. Rock solid tune.