2014 Vinyl Reissues?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
TRIOdevil
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: 2014 Vinyl Reissues?

Post by TRIOdevil »

downboys wrote:Just to confirm, the error on Then She Kissed Me (US pressing) HAS been fixed by Universal (I was the one who reported the error to my contact and he put things into motion to get a new plate done for the next run). I got my copy today.

How does one get a corrected copy of the LP? I would very much like to have Love Gun without the glitch, but I'm unsure how to make that happen. Any suggestions?
kisshall2
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by kisshall2 »

TRIOdevil wrote:
downboys wrote:Just to confirm, the error on Then She Kissed Me (US pressing) HAS been fixed by Universal (I was the one who reported the error to my contact and he put things into motion to get a new plate done for the next run). I got my copy today.

How does one get a corrected copy of the LP? I would very much like to have Love Gun without the glitch, but I'm unsure how to make that happen. Any suggestions?
Contact the outlet that you bought the LP through.
TRIOdevil
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TRIOdevil »

kisshall2 wrote:
TRIOdevil wrote:

I may have worded my original post poorly. What I meant was that I have refrained from buying the new vinyl reissue of Love Gun because of the glitch. Now that the glitch has been fixed, I would like to have a pressing that is glitch free, but how does one know when buying a new copy that he or she will receive the fixed version? Are there any retailers who have the newest pressing?
kisshall2

Post by kisshall2 »

TRIOdevil wrote:
kisshall2 wrote:
TRIOdevil wrote:

I may have worded my original post poorly. What I meant was that I have refrained from buying the new vinyl reissue of Love Gun because of the glitch. Now that the glitch has been fixed, I would like to have a pressing that is glitch free, but how does one know when buying a new copy that he or she will receive the fixed version? Are there any retailers who have the newest pressing?
Got ya. I have no idea how you would know if a retailer had a fresh copy or not if they had it in stock already. If they order it for you it would be a glitch free copy because the original stock sold out and was just repressed about a week ago.
RAFAHELL
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by RAFAHELL »

kisshall2 wrote:
TRIOdevil wrote:
kisshall2 wrote:
TRIOdevil wrote:

Got ya. I have no idea how you would know if a retailer had a fresh copy or not if they had it in stock already. If they order it for you it would be a glitch free copy because the original stock sold out and was just repressed about a week ago.
Now is the time to say that copies with a glitch are highly collectable? :?
kisshall2

Post by kisshall2 »

RAFAHELL wrote:
kisshall2 wrote:
TRIOdevil wrote:
kisshall2 wrote:
TRIOdevil wrote:

Now is the time to say that copies with a glitch are highly collectable? :?
Who knows. It isn't anything I would seek out.
Monster64
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Monster64 »

Has anyone listened to the Love Gun album included in the KISSteria vinyl box set? Does it have "the glitch"?
batman144144
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by batman144144 »

Pac-Man-Plus wrote:I'm sure someone will correct me, but I think the EU pressing are pressed quieter. That's just by looking at it. On the EU pressings, the grooves seem more compressed toward the outer edge of the albums, leaving a wider run-out area. On the US pressings, the grooves are more 'evenly distributed' (so to speak) which means they can press deeper into the vinyl (i.e. louder)

Am I correct on this?
Yes, you are. I know someone with both US and EU copies of Love Gun. One of the reasons he prefers the US is the EU is not cut as loud. Since the EU also has a good amount of surface noise, it’s actually made worse since the music itself is not as loud as it could be. This is one of the reasons some prefer US pressings -- although I’m not one of those.
batman144144
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by batman144144 »

Almost Human wrote:
Floomashoo wrote:Are the solos out in the US yet?
Solo Albums are due on September 9th in the US.
Nope. They have been bumped yet again. They are now due on Sept 23.
Ace Fury
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Ace Fury »

sadly returned my Elder today because of the warp....this might be the last re-issue I grab....

I am thinking about buying a set of the German solo albums and calling it a day...these are super cool....but I might have enough.

lots of great stuff coming out...might spread my $$$ elsewhere

Elder looked pretty cool though

:)
Pieter Kriss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pieter Kriss »

The Elder would look a lot cooler is 100% of the cover was actually present.
Floomashoo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Floomashoo »

Pieter Kriss wrote:The Elder would look a lot cooler is 100% of the cover was actually present.
Yeah, that is a shame. That being said it's the best version on vinyl I've heard.
Dynasty79
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Dynasty79 »

Ace Fury wrote:sadly returned my Elder today because of the warp....this might be the last re-issue I grab....

I am thinking about buying a set of the German solo albums and calling it a day...these are super cool....but I might have enough.

lots of great stuff coming out...might spread my $$$ elsewhere

Elder looked pretty cool though

My Elder was warped too! Just like yours...one side was okay but the other was pretty bad. Got Rock and Roll Over in the same box and it had a slight warp, but a chunk of vinyl missing from the outer edge on side 2! Amazon is replacing both. Told me to keep RARO. Both replacements are coming tomorrow. Here's hoping they turn out okay. But my copy of the Elder had a lot of surface noise. I think the quality since the first releases is going down a bit.
Nosferatu1974

Post by Nosferatu1974 »

Universal must love us KISS die hards who constantly bombard them with these little complaints. At the same time, when you are charging $35+ for one LP, I completely understand that it better arrive STONE MINT.
Dynasty79
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Dynasty79 »

Got my replacements from Amazon for RARO and The Elder. RARO is great! No issues. The Elder is warped like the other copy and has major surface noise. Going to return this for a refund and give up on the vinyl version. Guess I'll just listen to this one on CD/MP3.
KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

How's Carnival of Souls?
Dynasty79
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Dynasty79 »

I didn't have any issues with my COS copy. I thought it sounded really good.
KissKing73

Post by KissKing73 »

Dynasty79 wrote:I didn't have any issues with my COS copy. I thought it sounded really good.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.
Kenzatom
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Kenzatom »

I have Carnival in EU press. Fantastic, no noises, beautiful, no stains on the surface and I think it has the most dynamic sound of them (reisuses I have) all. I was afraid first what that might sound after all it was recorded in the cd era. I am very happy with it.
lashing
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by lashing »

My copy of the Elder is a mess. Lots of surface marks. I mean LOTS. Its very very quiet volume wise on the music and very very LOUD with background noise.

Something went very wrong but they shipped them out anyway. A growing trend in reissues. Like the Love Gun album. That one sounds muffled and the missing seconds of them she kissed me is evidence enough no one is laboring over these like advertised. Obviously no one is actually testing the plate masters. There are several steps where a person is suppsed to listen before proceeding. To miss these things at every step ... doesn't seem plausible.

A shame as I was looking forward to the Elder. My plans for creatures are now cancelled.

Dynasty and Unmasked were OK. My original cassette of Unmasked actually sounds punchier though.
dsg7286
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by dsg7286 »

I'm currently enjoying the debut re-issue right now, sounds better than the remastered CD I had back in '99-'00. I just got the Elder and Love Gun re-issues this past week and now I'm scared to actually play them.

I recently got an original 1982 Creatures of the Night because I feared that they might screw up the reissue version like they did in Europe. My copy has that dish-type of warp, but it sounds great. Little surface noise, nothing major. Very bottom heavy too. I also got an original Alive II as well, but that was because I didn't feel like waiting for it.

I invested a lot of money into these re-issues though, I have these so far:

KISS
Hotter Than Hell
Dressed to Kill (in transit)
Rock and Roll Over (AMAZING in my opinion, love it more now than ever before)
Love Gun
Dynasty
Unmasked (in transit)
Music from the Elder
Lick it Up
Asylum (in transit)
Revenge
Psycho Circus

As for others, original vinyls I have:

Alive II (with the book, no tats, had to buy the book separate)
Double Platinum (no award, have the merch form on this one)
Peter Criss (no inserts, but the original sleeve)
Gene Simmons (just the original sleeve)
Animalize

Other versions:

Alive! (Back to Black, ouch this one pierces my ears)
Destroyer Resurrected (digital sounding, but not as bad as Alive!)
Ace Frehley (the Russian picture disc)
Paul Stanley (the Russian picture disc, this and Ace's picture disc are really good shockingly enough)
RAFAHELL
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by RAFAHELL »

More re-schedules: COTN, ALIVE II, MILLENIUM now on October 14. I have to say: I´m f****n tired..... :evil:
thundergod76
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by thundergod76 »

All these problems with these reissues leave me wondering. Way back in the day when vinyl was the only available format did we have these same issues with warping, chipping and poor sound quality?
Kenzatom
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Kenzatom »

Yes, sometimes I think "they" forgot how to make a record...
Anyway, has anyone got any of the solos in US press? Are they out? What are the imressions?
Crimson Harpoon
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Crimson Harpoon »

dsg7286 wrote:I'm currently enjoying the debut re-issue right now, sounds better than the remastered CD I had back in '99-'00. I just got the Elder and Love Gun re-issues this past week and now I'm scared to actually play them.

I recently got an original 1982 Creatures of the Night because I feared that they might screw up the reissue version like they did in Europe. My copy has that dish-type of warp, but it sounds great. Little surface noise, nothing major. Very bottom heavy too. I also got an original Alive II as well, but that was because I didn't feel like waiting for it.

KISS
Hotter Than Hell
Love Gun
Dynasty
Unmasked (in transit)
Music from the Elder
Lick it Up
Asylum (in transit)
Revenge
Psycho Circus

Animalize

Other versions:

Paul Stanley (the Russian picture disc, this and Ace's picture disc are really good shockingly enough)
Awesome!

I just recently got back into vinyl, so I'm concentrating only on my absolute favorite albums. So far the only KISS release I have is Hotter than Hell. My two favorite KISS albums are Rock and Roll Over & Carnival of Souls, so I will be ordering those soon. I would have them already, but I have hesitated because of particular comments that I've heard (especially regarding CoS). That said, I think my complete reissue list will look like this (please comment on sound quality or any other issues)...

DEFINITELY WANT
KISS
Hotter than Hell
Dressed to Kill
Alive!
Destroyer
Rock and Roll Over
Love Gun
The Elder
Creatures of the Night
Hot in the Shade
Carnival of Souls
Psycho Circus

Those in yellow are my absolutes.
Ace Fury

Post by Ace Fury »

I've been reading online that Ace's solo album sounds quite muffled in the new reissues....Gene's solo sounds great and the rest hadn't be listened to yet.

anyone get any of the reissued solo records?

and then what are your thoughts?
Floomashoo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Floomashoo »

Crimson Harpoon wrote:
dsg7286 wrote:I'm currently enjoying the debut re-issue right now, sounds better than the remastered CD I had back in '99-'00. I just got the Elder and Love Gun re-issues this past week and now I'm scared to actually play them.

KISS
Hotter Than Hell
Love Gun
Dynasty
Unmasked (in transit)
Music from the Elder
Lick it Up
Asylum (in transit)
Revenge
Psycho Circus

Animalize

Other versions:

Awesome!

I just recently got back into vinyl, so I'm concentrating only on my absolute favorite albums. So far the only KISS release I have is Hotter than Hell. My two favorite KISS albums are Rock and Roll Over & Carnival of Souls, so I will be ordering those soon. I would have them already, but I have hesitated because of particular comments that I've heard (especially regarding CoS). That said, I think my complete reissue list will look like this (please comment on sound quality or any other issues)...

DEFINITELY WANT
KISS
Hotter than Hell
Dressed to Kill
Alive!
Destroyer
Rock and Roll Over
Love Gun
The Elder
Creatures of the Night
Hot in the Shade
Carnival of Souls
Psycho Circus

Those in yellow are my absolutes.
If you can find them cheap enough with postage to the US I would try and find the EU version (except COTN which is the 85 mix). I can't hear any difference in the audio quality between the US & EU debut LPs I have but the quality of the covers is far superior on the EU pressings. The actual quality of the artwork is the same but the EU covers are thicker stock and seem to be manufactured to hold the 180 vinyl. I think the US ones will suffer from serious ring ware due to their flimsy covers.

Other than COTN I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the ones you're after. COS is a bit light on bass, I was a bit underwhelmed with this at first but now wouldn't be without it on vinyl. Also, The Elder I would highly recommend. I think its the best version on vinyl out there, the cover is a under par (a bit blurry and the top part of the latch missing???) but this song order is how The Elder should be heard and it's sounds awesome!!!
Floomashoo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Floomashoo »

Ace Fury wrote:I've been reading online that Ace's solo album sounds quite muffled in the new reissues....Gene's solo sounds great and the rest hadn't be listened to yet.

anyone get any of the reissued solo records?

and then what are your thoughts?
I still haven't listened to my EU ones yet, still sulking that there were no inner sleeves. Do you know if the US ones have the inner sleeves?

Hope it not true about the audio on Ace's :(
keepmecomin
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by keepmecomin »

RAFAHELL wrote:More re-schedules: COTN, ALIVE II, MILLENIUM now on October 14. I have to say: I´m f****n tired..... :evil:
That better mean that Creatures is fixed..fingers crossed
RAFAHELL
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by RAFAHELL »

keepmecomin wrote:
RAFAHELL wrote:More re-schedules: COTN, ALIVE II, MILLENIUM now on October 14. I have to say: I´m f****n tired..... :evil:
That better mean that Creatures is fixed..fingers crossed
Well...no news about what mix Universal will use for COTN reissue.
Ace Fury

Post by Ace Fury »

the US solo albums do have the inserts. The connecting posters, and the printed inner sleeves, I don't think they have the order forms. Everything I've read about Ace's solo album is that it does not sound as good as the original 78 pressing. That said supposedly Gene's sounds quite good and I have not heard any feedback on Paul's or Peter's.

Did they throw Ace under the bus possibly?

Has that record always been a thorn in their side..

Who knows but it is a little interesting his sounds muddy, muted, and muffled.

Mmmmmmm

batman144144
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by batman144144 »

Crimson Harpoon wrote:
dsg7286 wrote: (please comment on sound quality or any other issues)...
Hotter Than Hell sounds much better than it has before. There are those that disagree with me, but I would rank it amongst the most-improved over the original version. Rock and Roll Over is outstanding. As long as you get a quiet copy, you'll be in heaven.
batman144144
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by batman144144 »

Ace Fury wrote:That said supposedly Gene's sounds quite good and I have not heard any feedback on Paul's or Peter's.
I have Gene's (US copy) but I haven't listened to it yet. I also have Paul's (German). That one I have listened to. Nothing short of stellar.
Ace Fury

Post by Ace Fury »

Then it's true. Paul and Gene said doll ours up and bury Ace!

;)

Just kidding.

Or am I?

;)

I'd read your posts over at Hoffman. I will still probably grab all the solos anyway and call it a day with these vinyl reissues.

I got almost all of them. I will check out the US press of Creatures, Love Gun fixed, and finally try and nail down a good cop of Music from the Elder.

Everything else I grabbed with the exception of one or two. I grabbed even 7-10 of the German ones for the soft SS covers which are kind of cool.

Now...will these new CDs be done as deluxe LP sets. Time will tell. Me thinks eventually yes.
50poundnote
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by 50poundnote »

Crimson Harpoon wrote: KISS
Hotter than Hell
Dressed to Kill
Alive!
Destroyer
Rock and Roll Over
Love Gun
The Elder
Creatures of the Night
Hot in the Shade
Carnival of Souls
Psycho Circus
KISS - sounds perfect
Hotter than Hell - MOST IMPROVED - without the master multitracks this will never sound better
Dressed to Kill - sounds perfect
Alive! - sounds perfect
Destroyer - sounds perfect 10/10
Rock and Roll Over - surface noise
Love Gun - bought an EU copy to avoid the pressing error, sounds perfect
Psycho Circus - surface noise

Essentially, everything released in the first wave is the highest quality. The later titles all have some surface noise and/or visible scuffing.
50poundnote
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by 50poundnote »

Disappointed to hear the new Ace pressing might not be up to scratch, as it's the only one of the solo albums I was planning on buying. Once I've got Alive II and Creatures - providing they use the correct mix - I'm done. I've got all the original pressings with the inserts, anyway.
Pac-Man-Plus
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Pac-Man-Plus »

Hey Guys,

If anyone wants to buy a sealed EU Alive II and an opened (but not played) EU Ace Frehley, please PM me with an offer. I'll even throw in the 'Lightning' vinyl album that Eric Carr played on in 1979 (the promo version).

I finally got the US ones, and I'd like to recoup a little.
Thanks!
Dynasty79
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Dynasty79 »

I just got my copy of the solo albums today. So far I've listened to Gene's, Paul's, and right now I'm spinning Ace's. I think they all are awesome! Very clean, minimal to no background noise. I don't think Ace's is muddy at all. To me it just sounds a bit fuller than the original, but not muddy. I'm using a Pro-ject Debut Carbon with the stock Ortofon 2M Red cart for what its worth.

Fixing to go to bed...will have to spin Peter's tomorrow. I'm very happy with these...after my problems with the Elder, my faith is restored. These are U.S. pressings also!
Ace Fury

Post by Ace Fury »

Dynasty79 wrote:I just got my copy of the solo albums today. So far I've listened to Gene's, Paul's, and right now I'm spinning Ace's. I think they all are awesome! Very clean, minimal to no background noise. I don't think Ace's is muddy at all. To me it just sounds a bit fuller than the original, but not muddy. I'm using a Pro-ject Debut Carbon with the stock Ortofon 2M Red cart for what its worth.

Fixing to go to bed...will have to spin Peter's tomorrow. I'm very happy with these...after my problems with the Elder, my faith is restored. These are U.S. pressings also!
what did they cost per album?
Dynasty79
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Dynasty79 »

Ace Fury wrote:
Dynasty79 wrote:I just got my copy of the solo albums today. So far I've listened to Gene's, Paul's, and right now I'm spinning Ace's. I think they all are awesome! Very clean, minimal to no background noise. I don't think Ace's is muddy at all. To me it just sounds a bit fuller than the original, but not muddy. I'm using a Pro-ject Debut Carbon with the stock Ortofon 2M Red cart for what its worth.

I got them from Amazon...paid the usual $35 per album. Wallets a little light right now!
Monster64
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Monster64 »

Dynasty79 wrote:
Ace Fury wrote:

I got them from Amazon...paid the usual $35 per album. Wallets a little light right now!
Awesome! I'm glad you're enjoying them. I'll be getting them later this month.
Dynasty79
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Dynasty79 »

Upon further review...
In my opinion, all of the 2014 solo albums are a little bit "mellower" than the originals. It's like the high end is more controlled, giving a fuller sound. Some may find them muddy, but I think they are more pristine sounding. Nothing like the Alive "Back To Black" crap. I like both versions, and am tickled to have a nice "minty" set of these!
batman144144
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by batman144144 »

Ace Fury wrote:I'd read your posts over at Hoffman. I will still probably grab all the solos anyway and call it a day with these vinyl reissues.
What is your username on Hoffman?

I don't think they will release the Deluxe versions on vinyl. It's such a small market. If they were to try that, they'd have to go all out and do 45rpm LPs. That would be worth revisiting the vinyl market for --- and I'd be really ticked off, too, because I love the 45rpm LP format and I couldn't resist picking up a few of the titles (that I just spent money on for these standard vinyl versions). Can you imagine how awesome a 45rpm LP, 4 disc box set of Alive! would be? Of course, they'd charge an arm and a leg. Still, I think what we have is all we're going to see for vinyl.

Now, hi-res digital downloads, that's another story...
rikstom
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by rikstom »

batman144144 wrote:
Crimson Harpoon wrote:
dsg7286 wrote: (please comment on sound quality or any other issues)...
Hotter Than Hell sounds much better than it has before. There are those that disagree with me, but I would rank it amongst the most-improved over the original version. Rock and Roll Over is outstanding. As long as you get a quiet copy, you'll be in heaven.
100% agree on this!
Ace Cadet

Post by Ace Cadet »

thundergod76 wrote:All these problems with these reissues leave me wondering. Way back in the day when vinyl was the only available format did we have these same issues with warping, chipping and poor sound quality?

There was an issue with my Dynasty pressing back in the day. IWMFLY had a skip problem at the beginning. Other than that I had no other issues with any other vinyl I bought in those days. Pressing vinyl records has become a lost art.
Pieter Kriss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Pieter Kriss »

Dynasty79 wrote:Upon further review...
In my opinion, all of the 2014 solo albums are a little bit "mellower" than the originals. It's like the high end is more controlled, giving a fuller sound. Some may find them muddy, but I think they are more pristine sounding.
Reading this thread makes my head feel like it's going to explode. How anyone can positively review this debacle is beyond me.
If you purchased the box set at $1779.99 , you're paying $62 an album. (28 albums).
Reading about how the solo album mixes are either 'mellower', 'muddier' or 'more pristine'... wow. Just wow.
KISSteria has more glitches than than the initial mac iOS8 rollout.
PeterChrissmas
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by PeterChrissmas »

Pieter Kriss wrote:
In my opinion, all of the 2014 solo albums are a little bit "mellower" than the originals. It's like the high end is more controlled, giving a fuller sound. Some may find them muddy, but I think they are more pristine sounding.
Reading this thread makes my head feel like it's going to explode. How anyone can positively review this debacle is beyond me.
If you purchased the box set at $1779.99 , you're paying $62 an album. (28 albums).
Reading about how the solo album mixes are either 'mellower', 'muddier' or 'more pristine'... wow. Just wow.
It also has 100% more Crazy Nights than the iOS8 rollout! :D
Ace Fury

Post by Ace Fury »

Pieter Kriss wrote:
How many have you bought and played?
teenjenerate
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by teenjenerate »

PeterChrissmas wrote:
Pieter Kriss wrote:
It also has 100% more Crazy Nights than the iOS8 rollout! :D
Regardless of whether you care about the reissues, I just have to make a note that the above comeback was the best one I've ever read on this forum.
daltonic1

Post by daltonic1 »

vinyl is rad but WAY too expensive in 2014.
paying $35 for a record i already own on vinyl and CD is a little extreme for me.
i'll just look at my old Lps every once in a while and appreciate the years we've been together
unless there's something extra special and worth investing in.