Help  •  Register  •  Login

Favorite Ezrin Album

What is your favorite Bob Ezrin produced album?

Destroyer
58%
The Elder
25%
Revenge
16%

Total votes : 158
<<

kenn.ace

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:30 am

Re: Favorite Ezrin Album

battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:
Phyllis Simmons wrote:Love all 3. All 3 would be in my Top 10. I wish there was more Ezrin produced albums in the catalogue... which there would have been if he was available more often!

But gotta be Destroyer. Ambitious, theyre stretching themselves, they're upping their game... It's KISS' own A NIght At The Opera.. Really puzzles me that there are some here that dont rate it.. But each to their own..

To each its own but in my book, The Elder is Kiss' equivalent of Queen's Night At The Opera.

Is A Night At The Opera a concept or thematic album and I've just missed it lo this many years?

A Night At The Opera is a fantastic album while The Elder is terrible. I would not compare the two.
<<

battra

Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 am

kenn.ace wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:
Phyllis Simmons wrote:Love all 3. All 3 would be in my Top 10. I wish there was more Ezrin produced albums in the catalogue... which there would have been if he was available more often!

But gotta be Destroyer. Ambitious, theyre stretching themselves, they're upping their game... It's KISS' own A NIght At The Opera.. Really puzzles me that there are some here that dont rate it.. But each to their own..

To each its own but in my book, The Elder is Kiss' equivalent of Queen's Night At The Opera.

Is A Night At The Opera a concept or thematic album and I've just missed it lo this many years?

A Night At The Opera is a fantastic album while The Elder is terrible. I would not compare the two.

That really doesn't answer my question though.

If you change the lyrics from sword and sorcery to banging and drinking...The Elder is a Kiss Classic.

Somehow...bands that dress up like aliens, demons, foxes, cats, Egyptian Warriors, and whatever the hell Paul Stanley is...just can't be taken seriously if they sing about fantasy for some reason.
<<

kenn.ace

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:42 am

battra wrote:
kenn.ace wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

That really doesn't answer my question though.

If you change the lyrics from sword and sorcery to banging and drinking...The Elder is a Kiss Classic.

Somehow...bands that dress up like aliens, demons, foxes, cats, Egyptian Warriors, and whatever the hell Paul Stanley is...just can't be taken seriously if they sing about fantasy for some reason.

I don't think A Night At The Opera is a concept or thematic album. It has a couple of songs that I guess have an opera concept, but I don't think most of the album does.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

Stockholder in KISS Corp.

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:45 am

battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

I fail to see the connection. Do albums need to be concept albums in order for you to compare them...?
<<

battra

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:45 am

kenn.ace wrote:I don't think A Night At The Opera is a concept or thematic album. It has a couple of songs that I guess have an opera concept, but I don't think most of the album does.

I ask because I frequently see that Queen album compared to other bands' concept albums...

It wouldn't be the first time I missed that something was a concept album..haha.
<<

battra

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:46 am

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

I fail to see the connection. Do albums need to be concept albums in order for you to compare them...?

As in the previous post, I routinely see this Queen album compared to concept albums.

So, I was curious if I missed something...which wouldn't be the first time.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:52 am

battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

As in the previous post, I routinely see this Queen album compared to concept albums.

Ohhhhh, right.

8) :lol:

Regardless, I'm unaware of Queen ever releasing a concept album with a narrative. I reinforced the connection earlier because I believe both albums are their respective bands apex, from an artsy standpoint.
<<

KISSTRONAUT

Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 am

I like all 3 albums. Destroyer sets on top.
<<

Kissologist

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 am

All of Ezrin work it's good but having to choose just one I'll stick with The Elder, warts and all.
It's closer at my heart for the memories it brings :)
<<

steve

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:54 am

The Elder is the best album KISS ever made.

Revenge is a solid return to form after the trend chasing of Crazy Nights and the 'bugger it, this'll do' approach of HITS.

Destroyer is vastly overrated apart from DRC, God Of Thunder and Shout It Out Loud.
<<

Phyllis Simmons

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 am

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

Ohhhhh, right.

Regardless, I'm unaware of Queen ever releasing a concept album with a narrative. I reinforced the connection earlier because I believe both albums are their respective bands apex, from an artsy standpoint.

No, A Night At The Opera is not a concept album. But theres a feeling of some connection. Queen havent technically done one though there is arguably some connectivity on Queen II.. Especially Side 2.
Some of the British press at the time described Destroyer as "quasi-conceptual"; I kinda like that description. There's a feeling that theres some connection with the material and it feels like it links together...Feels like its a journey, that its telling a story; though a bit disjointed!
<<

SaintN'Sinner83

Might as well be the Admin!

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:49 am

Queen II is a concept album in its format and running theme of mystical lyrics. Both sides of the album feature stories about a White and Black Queen, too.

Side White/Side Black - both sides differing with Side White being dominated by May with Side Black being Mercury's.
<<

pepperkitty

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:16 am

Destroyer
<<

I Am A FREAK

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 am

Destroyer
<<

Crown Royal

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Destroyer
<<

caligari

2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:36 pm

Billion Dollar Babie$
<<

Crown Royal

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:47 pm

caligari wrote:Billion Dollar Babie$

There's been a few Fridays where I've come home from work, popped open a bottle, and listened to "Billion Dollar Babies" and "Destroyer" back-to-back.

Must be an Ezrin thing.
<<

Planet of the Ace

KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:57 pm

All 3 are fantastic and made huge impacts on the band. I love Peter's drumming on Destroyer, the production of The Elder and the raw bad assness of Revenge.
<<

SaintN'Sinner83

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Planet of the Ace wrote:I love Peter's drumming on Destroyer.

+1

Peter did great on all the KISS albums he was featured on and here he really stepped up even more. Especially on stuff like "Sweet Pain" and "King of the Nighttime World".
<<

caligari

2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Crown Royal wrote:

There's been a few Fridays where I've come home from work, popped open a bottle, and listened to "Billion Dollar Babies" and "Destroyer" back-to-back.

Must be an Ezrin thing.

! Dude ! Me too !
<<

caligari

2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 pm

PS.
Has anyone else here ever programmed or burned & listened to MUSIC FROM THE ELDER with "Journey of 1,000 Years" as the last track?

EPIC.
<<

redinthesky

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Destroyer is Kiss.
<<

Rhiannon

Might as well be a member of the band!

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:53 pm

The Elder, still to this day is one of my favourite albums.
<<

Planet Caravan

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:51 am

To me, The Elder doesn't even qualify, because it's an unfinished record.

The story is vague and not fleshed out. There are segments of the story obviously missing. The spoken word sections are missing. The tracklistiing was padded out with a cover song and an obviously edited down instrumental jam because they lacked enough material to even make an album.

The comment below just proves my point

caligari wrote:Has anyone else here ever programmed or burned & listened to MUSIC FROM THE ELDER with "Journey of 1,000 Years" as the last track?
EPIC.

The fact that some Kiss fans are trying shoehorn additional songs into the tracklisting in an attempt to "complete" the story just shows what a failure The Elder was on not only a commercial level but an artistic failure as well.
<<

elleneff

2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:15 am

For Kiss? none of the Ezrin albums really reach greatness.
Destroyer is close.
Elder is brave.
Revenge is good, but not great.

Love it to Death. The best Ezrin album anyone needs, next to The Wall and Division Bell
Last edited by elleneff on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

GACatmandu

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:20 am

Music From The Elder
<<

metaldad

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:18 am

This is a fabulous answer
<<

black diamond

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 am

To me, this is a very close competition between Destroyer and The Elder.

Destroyer was among the first 3-4 KISS albums I bought when getting into KISS in 83-84. I didn't know anything about the back catalogue and basically just picked albums by chance after having saved enough money to buy the next one. A great album and I like almost everything about it, Do You Love Me not so much though. A bit boring end to the album imo.

The Elder was one of the last albums from the back catalogue I got. I remember getting it for Christmas (maybe in 85 or 86, I don't remember). At that time I had very low expectations since I had read it was a complete failure from the band. I had not heard a single song before I got it and I didn't know what to expect at all. Since I had very low expectations I got positively surprised and I listened to it a lot that winter. I still think it is a great album with highlights like Only You, Under The Rose, Mr. Blackwell, A World Without Heroes, Escape From The Island. But as with Destroyer I like all of the songs but the last one, I. They could have ended the album in a better way.

Revenge has never been something for me though. The sound production is perfect. Paul's voice is fantastic. Bruce's guitar playing is great. It has a lot of energy. But I feel like the song material isn't interesting enough. Vinnie's song writing skills doesn't show on this album, I think. That said, I think it is an OK album that I listen to once in a while.

My vote goes to The Elder.
<<

Bassdemon

Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:35 am

For me it's a little difficult to choose one because they are all from different eras and involve different lineups. I chose Destroyer mainly due to the number of great songs on it, many of which are still played live and one the radio today as well as it features the classic line-up I grew up with (I love all past and present members though). Of course the cover of Destroyer is, at least in my opinion, vastly superior to the other two. It displays the dangerous, fantasy, party image that KISS was shooting for. I have always loved Revenge and it takes me back to a time when KISS was re-building and becoming "cool" again. To me Revenge brought Gene back to his old form with some attitude and a touch of danger, which we hadn't really seen for a decade or so. The band of old seem to have the grit that many of us love them for. Although I was late in getting the Elder (probably around '89-'90), at the time I was shocked by the material and how I didn't think it sounded like the KISS I was used to or expecting. I have a much better appreciation for it now, although it's still a bit of an enigma in the KISS catalog. Sound wise I think they all work for the period they were done in and met the goals of the band at that time. Of course that didn't always translate to great album sales or successful tours.
<<

LoveGuns

Council of the Elder
Council of the Elder

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:14 am

Kisstanbul wrote:
LoveGuns wrote:Gonna have to go with Destroyer but I also absolutely love The Elder

+1

brokentiny wrote:
LoveGuns wrote:Gonna have to go with Destroyer but I also absolutely love The Elder

Good to see you mate!

Great to see you too guys!
<<

ludzil

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:21 am

Destroyer and Revenge. For me, the best two Kiss studio albums.

Destroyer has some of the greatest Kiss songs in their catalog but Revenge is how I wish every Kiss album sounded.
<<

Strutter67

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 am

Never understood the dislike for Revenge. Heavy rock album with a lot of good songs. I guess some of the songs just didn't for in the narrow path some people feel Kiss songs should fit into. Destroyer is good but not great IMO. And Great Expectations is right at the bottom of my Kiss list. But some people like it better than some songs on Revenge. Smh on that one. The Elder is amazing for what it is. But no way can i rank it higher than Destroyer or Revenge or Sonic Boom or Monster. That's just not realistic. My ranking is based on production, songs, consistency and musical direction. Not necessarily in that order.

Revenge
Destroyer
The Elder
<<

jestor92

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 am

For me it's between Destroyer and Revenge. Both albums have outstanding tracks both albums have some filler. I've got to go with Destroyer though due to less filler.
<<

battra

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:58 am

Strutter67 wrote:Never understood the dislike for Revenge. Heavy rock album with a lot of good songs. I guess some of the songs just didn't for in the narrow path some people feel Kiss songs should fit into. Destroyer is good but not great IMO. And Great Expectations is right at the bottom of my Kiss list. But some people like it better than some songs on Revenge. Smh on that one. The Elder is amazing for what it is. But no way can i rank it higher than Destroyer or Revenge or Sonic Boom or Monster. That's just not realistic. My ranking is based on production, songs, consistency and musical direction. Not necessarily in that order.

Revenge
Destroyer
The Elder

Lots of folks dislike Revenge, and stick with me now, because it had a contrived image that wasn't honest. Kiss was dressing in a way that they didn't normally dress like on the street...so it irked some folks. ;)

As for Destroyer and Revenge...oh yeah, both of those albums are hits, misses, and fillers...I put Elder above the two of them...

1. Because I like concept albums.

2. It's cheesy, and so is Kiss.

3. If you took the songs and changed the lyrics to standard Kiss fare, it would be well considered better than either of the other two...but because The Starchild, the Demon, the Spaceman, and the Fox sang and played about Fantasy rather than reality...it really irked most people.
<<

Ara78

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Two Steps From the Move
<<

ò¢† ǪÑÑÎߪ£ ãÐR

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Revenge.
<<

j2m1979

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Destroyer
<<

LordThurisaz

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Ara78 wrote:Two Steps From the Move

Hanoi Rocks! Nice. 8)
<<

f2walsh

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:21 pm

1. Revenge
2. The Elder
3. Destroyer
<<

TheWolf

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:
battra wrote:
Thunderous_Lay wrote:

Ohhhhh, right.

Queen II is a concept album. Night at the Opera and Day at the Races are more of a theme, really. Then Jazz was kind of a continuation, a bit later -same producer team up though. Love all those albums.
PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL KISS DISCUSSION