Help  •  Register  •  Login

Awesome Gene photo '76/'77

<<

Might as well be the Admin!

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Awesome Gene photo '76/'77

Just wanted to share this awesome Gene photo, love that hair!

8)
<<

PsychoElder

Vinnie's Tupperware Party Assistant!

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Re: Awesome Gene photo '76/'77

Awesome! :salut:
<<

dogmatic

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:56 pm

When it was real!

(The hair too!)
<<

f2walsh

Might as well be a member of the band!

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Killer pic - thanks!!!
<<

metaldad

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 pm

When the Demon was The Demon
<<

Kissologist

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 am

That Demon MoFo was really on steroids while on stage :twisted:
<<

Crown Royal

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am

Those types of pictures remind me of flipping through countless magazines at stores as a kid, seeing a pic like that, and thinking Gene Simmons may be about the coolest thing on the planet.
<<

DONTTOUCHMYASCOT

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 am

:gene: :thumleft:
<<

Australia1980

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pm

We need it BIGGER! I tried looking though my folders but the jpeg I have of this is actually even smaller. Who's got it BIGGER?

PS These pics jumped out at me in my search

<<

Australia1980

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 pm

67321 wrote:Image

Bigger version? Anyone?
<<

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Australia1980 wrote:
67321 wrote:Image

Bigger version? Anyone?

I wish, :(
<<

Erwin

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Australia1980 wrote:We need it BIGGER! I tried looking though my folders but the jpeg I have of this is actually even smaller. Who's got it BIGGER?

PS These pics jumped out at me in my search

2nd One is nasty
<<

Klankh79

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:40 pm

metaldad wrote:When the Demon was The Demon

i agree. rather than An Old Man Wearing a Gene Simmons Costume.
<<

judah1227

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Now THAT would make a helluva t-shirt. I'd pay $100 for that!
<<

bluedog

Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:45 pm

dogmatic wrote:When it was real!

(The hair too!)

:lol:
<<

SickThing

Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:20 pm

A larger image....

<<

Klankh79

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:32 pm

it was so much more convincing back then. everything about the presentation of "'The Demon" character looks genuine, from the way he slithered/stomped/jumped all over the place, to the many subtle facial expressions he used in trying to appear evil, to the tongue/blood/fire........it all came together to create an undeniable impression.

said it before, ill say it again: the Demon today does not resemble heavy metal evil in the least....he looks like a bored old man wearing a Gene Simmons costume, sticking his tongue out way too much and doing little else. yes, he's old and tired and expectations are to be tempered.....all the more reason it should have been put to bed a while ago instead of carrying on with the........farce.
<<

Thunderous_Lay

Stockholder in KISS Corp.
Stockholder in KISS Corp.

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Klankh79 wrote:it was so much more convincing back then. everything about the presentation of "'The Demon" character looks genuine, from the way he slithered/stomped/jumped all over the place, to the many subtle facial expressions he used in trying to appear evil, to the tongue/blood/fire........it all came together to create an undeniable impression.

said it before, ill say it again: the Demon today does not resemble heavy metal evil in the least....he looks like a bored old man wearing a Gene Simmons costume, sticking his tongue out way too much and doing little else. yes, he's old and tired and expectations are to be tempered.....all the more reason it should have been put to bed a while ago instead of carrying on with the........farce.

On the other hand, King Diamond still looks as impressive as ever - notwithstanding the fact he was submitted to heart surgery a few years back.

All in all, said it before, will say it again: for someone who was supposedly never into drugs, smoking or whatever, Gene really looks ravaged and he's been looking like that for a very, very long time now.
<<

LordThurisaz

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Klankh79 wrote:it was so much more convincing back then. everything about the presentation of "'The Demon" character looks genuine, from the way he slithered/stomped/jumped all over the place, to the many subtle facial expressions he used in trying to appear evil, to the tongue/blood/fire........it all came together to create an undeniable impression.

This.
<<

aceshigh

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:24 pm

loved it when he played the role of the demon. Great pic.
<<

2,000 Man

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Thunderous_Lay wrote:

On the other hand, King Diamond still looks as impressive as ever - notwithstanding the fact he was submitted to heart surgery a few years back.

All in all, said it before, will say it again: for someone who was supposedly never into drugs, smoking or whatever, Gene really looks ravaged and he's been looking like that for a very, very long time now.

Gene may have not been into drink or drugs, but he indulges in food, overeats, and doesn't exercise (at least not regularly). If he'd check his ego and get himself a dietitian and personal trainer (we all know he can afford it), he'd get himself in pretty good shape just shy of 70.
<<

tomwabe

Banned
Banned

Post Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:07 am

Here's the thing...

But first, a little back story.

When the original Alice Cooper Group was let go in the Ezrin / Gordon powerplay following 'Muscle Of Love' - and, remember, I was a fan in the days when 'Alice Cooper' was a band name - I was a mortified fourteen year old. At a time when - at least in my friendship group - you had the band that was your band, I'd lost mine. Though I enjoyed a whole lot of 'Welcome to My Nightmare' and bits and pieces from there onwards - as that mortified fourteen-year-old grew up, I never could bring myself to go and see Alice - the man - live. It must have gone deep. Then it's announced that he'll be returning to the UK and, this time, he'll bring the surviving original members out with him.

Which brings me to the front barrier of Alice's arena show a week or so back - standing at virtually the exact vantage point that I held for KISS' visit to the exact same venue a few months previously.

So this is where we come in - We have two really very old guys - Cooper and Simmons - who rose to fame in the 70's by inventing a role and playing it out to thrill impressionable hard-rock teen-dreamers. I had a blast at KISS - it was fun and the adult Wabe is, maybe, a little less hidebound by matters of principle and ranks the visual aspects of KISS as a pretty high priority too - so, bizarrely, kinda hypocritically, as against my fastidious, Stalinist attitude with the Cooper group - I'm happy to see Tommy up there in a jump suit rather than a tragi-comic and unhappy Ace. Gene Simmons? In midst of the fire and smoke and all those great tunes, I can't say that he spoiled the show and - like Alice - the voice is still there.... but yes, I had the gurning, idiot, Grandpa Munster in full effect. Simmons now, non stop, mugs at his audience like - hey hey hey! - a retarded clown.

Why the hell does he do that? If we wanted any proof that, actually, it is much easier, more effective, to channel Karloff when you are that evil-looking old guy - then Alice proves it in spades. Alice - who is exactly the same age as Simmons was leaner, tighter, more on point, deeper in character than in any film I've seen of the 70's heyday. He allows his age to work for him. It was a fantastic show - the arrival of Bruce, Smith and Dunaway obviously capped it - but, my god , what a performance for the ages - still - from the Coop.

I guess the difference probably is, if we're honest, that Vincent Furnier and Dennis Dunaway were visionaries, artists, and out there inventing this stuff while Gene Klein was a Beatle-bum schlepping around the industry trying to spot a break. The Coopers saw Karloff, The Stones, The GTOs, Warhol cinema, Salvador Dali and thought - what if? Klein saw Cooper and thought - I could do that. And now he can't be bothered anymore

It's all too late now I know - but I still dream of a last-lap KISS, costumed to reflect the passing years, that returns to its core concepts and goes out black and silver, with fire and brimstone stage left.
<<

2,000 Man

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:42 am

tomwabe wrote:Here's the thing...

But first, a little back story.

When the original Alice Cooper Group was let go in the Ezrin / Gordon powerplay following 'Muscle Of Love' - and, remember, I was a fan in the days when 'Alice Cooper' was a band name - I was a mortified fourteen year old. At a time when - at least in my friendship group - you had the band that was your band, I'd lost mine. Though I enjoyed a whole lot of 'Welcome to My Nightmare' and bits and pieces from there onwards - as that mortified fourteen-year-old grew up, I never could bring myself to go and see Alice - the man - live. It must have gone deep. Then it's announced that he'll be returning to the UK and, this time, he'll bring the surviving original members out with him.

Which brings me to the front barrier of Alice's arena show a week or so back - standing at virtually the exact vantage point that I held for KISS' visit to the exact same venue a few months previously.

So this is where we come in - We have two really very old guys - Cooper and Simmons - who rose to fame in the 70's by inventing a role and playing it out to thrill impressionable hard-rock teen-dreamers. I had a blast at KISS - it was fun and the adult Wabe is, maybe, a little less hidebound by matters of principle and ranks the visual aspects of KISS as a pretty high priority too - so, bizarrely, kinda hypocritically, as against my fastidious, Stalinist attitude with the Cooper group - I'm happy to see Tommy up there in a jump suit rather than a tragi-comic and unhappy Ace. Gene Simmons? In midst of the fire and smoke and all those great tunes, I can't say that he spoiled the show and - like Alice - the voice is still there.... but yes, I had the gurning, idiot, Grandpa Munster in full effect. Simmons now, non stop, mugs at his audience like - hey hey hey! - a retarded clown.

Why the hell does he do that? If we wanted any proof that, actually, it is much easier, more effective, to channel Karloff when you are that evil-looking old guy - then Alice proves it in spades. Alice - who is exactly the same age as Simmons was leaner, tighter, more on point, deeper in character than in any film I've seen of the 70's heyday. He allows his age to work for him. It was a fantastic show - the arrival of Bruce, Smith and Dunaway obviously capped it - but, my god , what a performance for the ages - still - from the Coop.

I guess the difference probably is, if we're honest, that Vincent Furnier and Dennis Dunaway were visionaries, artists, and out there inventing this stuff while Gene Klein was a Beatle-bum schlepping around the industry trying to spot a break. The Coopers saw Karloff, The Stones, The GTOs, Warhol cinema, Salvador Dali and thought - what if? Klein saw Cooper and thought - I could do that. And now he can't be bothered anymore

It's all too late now I know - but I still dream of a last-lap KISS, costumed to reflect the passing years, that returns to its core concepts and goes out black and silver, with fire and brimstone stage left.

Kiss have always been followers less than innovators; they simply saw an act like Alice and copped what they did. Without Alice, no makeup, no Ezrin, and for Gene, no horror schtick. It's Alice's originality -- and Gene's lack of it -- that keeps Alice somewhat still hungry, artistic and creative in his later years, whereas for Gene, the act has become tired and stale.
<<

redinthesky

Post Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 am

Klankh79 wrote:said it before, ill say it again: the Demon today does not resemble heavy metal evil in the least....he looks like a bored old man wearing a Gene Simmons costume

Return to GENERAL KISS DISCUSSION