Was never thrilled with the setlist
<<

Ara78

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Animalize Live Questions

"We're filming this for an MTV concert! Woooo!"

Also like Bruce's tough guy face at Cold Gin intro.

And the camera cutting to Eric during Gene's vocal "And party every day..." with it looking like it was Eric's voice.

Also cool, Paul's unused riff where he jumps and bends the guitar neck. This part was during his guitar solo. That riff was neat-o.

Lastly, Paul looking for Bruce and Gene during the intro to Under The Gun. It's a funny moment...
<<

Terminator

Banned
Banned

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:39 pm

What my fondest memory and why I still love this video. From 1981 through 1984 there was next to no Kiss to see or hear anywhere in Canada. Much Music rarely played Kiss. Radio never played Kiss. This video was huge for a Kiss fan. Like many, I wore out my original vhs. Still love it. Not always fond of the tempos. But what great energy. Even in the 80s Kiss was still the best on stage entertainers. No one has ever run and jumped up and down a stage while playing and singing like this band.
<<

pdf0427

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Crown Royal wrote:
ObiWanFrehley wrote:I have wondered that too, my brother thinks they cut it out because Michael Jackson was all over MTV at the time, I don't think Paul did it that night. I was at the Evansville, IN show which was Dec. 5 I think, just a couple days before Animalize Live was filmed, and don't remember Paul doing it that night either, my brother saw a show near the end of the tour and mentioned the Michael Jackson thing.

I saw them in Marquette, Mi, on that tour, and Paul did the Michael Jackson doll thing.

That was my first show! I wonder how many people here know where Marquette is without a map.
<<

mikeenc

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:22 pm

They did NOT do the Michael Jackson thing in Detroit, possibly because Diana Ross was there. There was an extended intro to “Heaven’s On Fire”that was cut though, where Paul did his “how many people have friends who say KISS sucks” routine and insulted the Thompson Twins, so it’s not surprising they dropped that.
<<

Might as well be the Admin!

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 pm

mikeenc wrote:They did NOT do the Michael Jackson thing in Detroit, possibly because Diana Ross was there. There was an extended intro to “Heaven’s On Fire”that was cut though, where Paul did his “how many people have friends who say KISS sucks” routine and insulted the Thompson Twins, so it’s not surprising they dropped that.

Why all the hate for the Thompson Twins? Hell, "Hold Me Now" was/is a great song!

<<

ObiWanFrehley

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:45 am

Paul did that a lot in ghe '80s, bash whatever pop band was current at the time, remember he would pretty much use the same words but add whatever pop band was on the charts at the time. I have little to no memory of the banter at the Animalize show in Evansville, but whenever they played Evansville it always felt like they couldn't get out of there fast enough lol.

I liked the setlist for the Animalize shows, then again I was a big fan of the Lick it Up album and liked the songs in the set. I did eventually get tired of Fits Like a Glove though, by the Crazy Nights tour I was bored of the setlist, HITS tour was much better. Saw KISS reguarly from '84 till '92.

I also miss the vocal trade offs between Eric Carr and Gene. It's such a small detail but I still think it's cool. Peter and Gene would sometimes do it too in the '70s but was limited.
<<

Crown Royal

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:03 pm

67321 wrote:
mikeenc wrote:They did NOT do the Michael Jackson thing in Detroit, possibly because Diana Ross was there. There was an extended intro to “Heaven’s On Fire”that was cut though, where Paul did his “how many people have friends who say KISS sucks” routine and insulted the Thompson Twins, so it’s not surprising they dropped that.

Why all the hate for the Thompson Twins? Hell, "Hold Me Now" was/is a great song!

Easy...bringing back some raw memories :cry: :| :)
<<

Sam

2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:38 am

And Three's Company. You did not want to piss of John Ritter in those days. He could snap your neck and make it look like a pratfall.
<<

God Of Ritmo

Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:30 am

JohnBergless wrote:No, he did NOT do the Micheal Jackson thing at Cobo!!! He did however, mention "Threes Company", Duran Duran and The Thompson Twins. Nothing viscious though; he was poking fun at (your) friends who aren't here tonight and what they're probably doing right now.............

Interesting detail to know! For those not aware, you can hear a short bit of Paul's intro to Heaven's on Fire from that night on the Hear N Aid album, which is not exactly easy to come by these days. The mi was a little different for that album, such as not hearing Gene knocking on the mic during the sing-a-long towards the end.

Anyway...... I had a random thought occur to me this week concerning this show: The bras. Was that a nightly staged thing? I never thought twice about it until I realized not ever have I been to a show where that is a thing that actually happens, nor is it something seen at any other KISS show of the many that are documented through their career.
<<

sakke72

Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:35 pm

My tribute version of Paul Stanley`s guitar solo on Animalize Live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUwSyYWXgOU

:)
<<

PUNCHLINE

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:08 pm

God Of Ritmo wrote:
JohnBergless wrote:No, he did NOT do the Micheal Jackson thing at Cobo!!! He did however, mention "Threes Company", Duran Duran and The Thompson Twins. Nothing viscious though; he was poking fun at (your) friends who aren't here tonight and what they're probably doing right now.............

Interesting detail to know! For those not aware, you can hear a short bit of Paul's intro to Heaven's on Fire from that night on the Hear N Aid album, which is not exactly easy to come by these days. The mi was a little different for that album, such as not hearing Gene knocking on the mic during the sing-a-long towards the end.

The outro is different on the hear`n`aid album, you can hear more of Paul`s intro to Thrills In The Night that you dont hear on the video.
<<

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:53 pm

<<

Easy Catman

Vinnie's Tupperware Party Assistant!
Vinnie's Tupperware Party Assistant!

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:00 pm

wise wrote:Image

Cheers Wise :thumright:
<<

JohnBergless

Might as well be a member of the band!

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:26 am

I don't mean to keep this thread limping along... but, something else about this concert that I noticed that I haven't seen discussed - have you payed attention to the orange and blue lights they had on the side and back arena audience the whole time? Again- I was there, so I can tell you, yes; they had like 3 or 4 light trusses hung over the seating area, so different seating areas would be illuminated during the whole concert. I don't remember KISS doing that in earlier years (and I hadn't been to many other concerts at that point to compare it to - was this a new fad/tactic that bands were doing live?) Or perhaps it was suggested by the video company as a way to light up the crowd for the film. Or was it done the whole tour?
And thinking from a spectator POV, I wonder if those lights shined in one's eyes the whole night :drunken: :shock:
<<

Terminator

Banned
Banned

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 am

JohnBergless wrote:I don't mean to keep this thread limping along... but, something else about this concert that I noticed that I haven't seen discussed - have you payed attention to the orange and blue lights they had on the side and back arena audience the whole time? Again- I was there, so I can tell you, yes; they had like 3 or 4 light trusses hung over the seating area, so different seating areas would be illuminated during the whole concert. I don't remember KISS doing that in earlier years (and I hadn't been to many other concerts at that point to compare it to - was this a new fad/tactic that bands were doing live?) Or perhaps it was suggested by the video company as a way to light up the crowd for the film. Or was it done the whole tour?
And thinking from a spectator POV, I wonder if those lights shined in one's eyes the whole night :drunken: :shock:
lighting for the camera crew
<<

Klankh79

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:10 am

Thunderous_Lay wrote:
ObiWanFrehley wrote:Kinda glad it isn't on Animalize Live, the only complaint I have about the show is Paul's stage banter. The Love Gun intro goes on for way too long.

As much as I am fond of said show, I agree to this.

me too. as a kid, that speech was cool. as a man in my 30s, it makes me uncomfortable. some old dude standing up on stage telling teenagers about how he got a blowjob? what?!??! i realize it was Paul's way of trying to keep the band "dangerous" in some respect, but i can understand why some parents probably didnt want their kids to see KISS in the 80s.....

ive had a bootleg dvd for over 10 years, i wouldnt think this show is hard to find at all....
Previous

Return to GENERAL KISS DISCUSSION