Strutter' 95

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
C
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Strutter' 95

Post by C »

Why did they Choose to re-record Strutter back in '95, since they recorded one in '78
cool version none the less !
i can't take Singer's background vocals
i wonder if they recorded more songs.
PUNCHLINE

Re: Strutter' 95

Post by PUNCHLINE »

C wrote:Why did they Choose to re-record Strutter back in '95, since they recorded one in '78
Was this one of the songs recorded for Japan in 1995? Didnt they do Rock Bottom too?
jmitzel
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by jmitzel »

KISS recorded this song and a few others for donation of Earthquake in Kobe, Japan, at Budokan, Tokyo on afternoon of Jan. 30th, 1995. A record company in Japan presented this tape for visitors at KISS’ Event in Tokyo. It never released this material on CD anywhere.

The songs were apparently recorded at a soundcheck.
C

Post by C »

Cool stuff , what's the other tracks?
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

C wrote:Cool stuff , what's the other tracks?
Strutter & Rock Bottom
Deuce1231

Post by Deuce1231 »

jmitzel wrote:KISS recorded this song and a few others for donation of Earthquake in Kobe, Japan, at Budokan, Tokyo on afternoon of Jan. 30th, 1995. A record company in Japan presented this tape for visitors at KISS’ Event in Tokyo. It never released this material on CD anywhere.

Yes. The songs were available to listen to on a telephone line that, when called, made a donation to Kobe relief efforts due to the earthquake hit that area. The audio is a bit lower quality for that reason, I suppose.
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

wow that sucked bad. sorry guys no offense . awful drumming, sounds like he had heard the song once and recorded it the NeXT day. guitar solo was bad too,nothing to Write home about imo
SpaceBeat12
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by SpaceBeat12 »

jmitzel wrote:KISS recorded this song and a few others for donation of Earthquake in Kobe, Japan, at Budokan, Tokyo on afternoon of Jan. 30th, 1995. A record company in Japan presented this tape for visitors at KISS’ Event in Tokyo. It never released this material on CD anywhere.

I am not sure but I Believe that KISS once donated every dollar from a ticket somewhere around 1995 due to the earthquake.
cdb1
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by cdb1 »

jmitzel wrote:The songs were apparently recorded at a soundcheck.
I was thinking it sounded live. That explains it.
mamado

Post by mamado »

lespaul wrote:wow that sucked bad. sorry guys no offense . awful drumming, sounds like he had heard the song once and recorded it the NeXT day. guitar solo was bad too,nothing to Write home about imo
I agree + Nuthin' beats the original one... NUTHIN' AT ALL!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :flower:
Ace's Silver Suit

Post by Ace's Silver Suit »

lespaul wrote:wow that sucked bad. sorry guys no offense . awful drumming, sounds like he had heard the song once and recorded it the NeXT day. guitar solo was bad too,nothing to Write home about imo

Eric Singer could hear this song a million times, and never supply the right feel and swagger ... and those backups! Man ...

Nice gesture from the band, though.
Tommyr
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tommyr »

Agreed . You can can't beat the original versions of these classics. No matter what Paul or Gene says.
TheKISSLogo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TheKISSLogo »

God this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mistermike40
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by mistermike40 »

OP - thanks for posting, I'd never heard this before.

I agree - other versions of Strutter are better, but it's cool to hear a new take on a great song.
120 Decibels Jr.
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 120 Decibels Jr. »

:?

... 'Poop-Poop' Platter!

:chef:
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Post by Admin »

Geez, it's a sound-check live recording. Whatcha expecting. Overdubs?
Ace's Silver Suit

Post by Ace's Silver Suit »

Come on - a boombox recording of, for example, Cheap Trick doing one of their earliest songs would sound great, faithful, etc.

To me, the recording epitomizes the completely clueless mindset of Gene and Paul, their never realizing that they were a rock 'n' roll band, not metal, and their veering off the path resulted in even more of it, like hiring Eric Singer, who is just not naturally wired (get it?) for playing KISS music. He's gotten somewhat better with it throughout the years, though. Even Eric Carr sorta blew "Strutter" - but I liked what he did better.

I didn't really wanna dovetail into an anti-Singer thing - that's just part of it. The overall sound is just so ... lame.
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

SpaceBeat12 wrote:

I am not sure but I Believe that KISS once donated every dollar from a ticket somewhere around 1995 due to the earthquake.
HMMM, trying to figure out where I said they donated money from ticket sales?!?!??!??! :?
Strutter67

Post by Strutter67 »

Ace's Silver Suit wrote:Come on - a boombox recording of, for example, Cheap Trick doing one of their earliest songs would sound great, faithful, etc.

To me, the recording epitomizes the completely clueless mindset of Gene and Paul, their never realizing that they were a rock 'n' roll band, not metal, and their veering off the path resulted in even more of it, like hiring Eric Singer, who is just not naturally wired (get it?) for playing KISS music. He's gotten somewhat better with it throughout the years, though. Even Eric Carr sorta blew "Strutter" - but I liked what he did better.

I didn't really wanna dovetail into an anti-Singer thing - that's just part of it. The overall sound is just so ... lame.

You can believe whatever you want and wave the Peter flag but just because neither Eric can capture Peter's feel dosn't mean it's a bad thing. Both drummers bury Peter. Peter was damn good in his prime but never at the level at Carr or Singer. To me Carr and Singer played the song the way it should have been played from day 1 and in a way Peter could never reach. That's not on Carr or Singer, that's on Peter. Can't see or hear that? That would be on you
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

Strutter67 wrote:
Ace's Silver Suit wrote:Come on - a boombox recording of, for example, Cheap Trick doing one of their earliest songs would sound great, faithful, etc.

You can believe whatever you want and wave the Peter flag but just because neither Eric can capture Peter's feel dosn't mean it's a bad thing. Both drummers bury Peter. Peter was damn good in his prime but never at the level at Carr or Singer. To me Carr and Singer played the song the way it should have been played from day 1 and in a way Peter could never reach. That's not on Carr or Singer, that's on Peter. Can't see or hear that? That would be on you
I don`t get it , but hey we`re all different
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

Listen to the original Version on the first album,and then listen to this , who can seriously say that it`s better drumming and the way it should be played??
jestor92

Post by jestor92 »

Thanks I've never heard that version of Strutter.
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

Admin wrote:Geez, it's a sound-check live recording. Whatcha expecting. Overdubs?
and done for a good cause. yet all people can do is bitch and moan. such is life in the modern world of the intorwebs.
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

yes admirable thing to do, i agree

but honestly this Version is awful . i am not whining about the sound, but the actual musical performances that goes to show that Paul and gene didnt have a Clue,lol
Strutter67

Post by Strutter67 »

lespaul wrote:yes admirable thing to do, i agree

but honestly this Version is awful . i am not whining about the sound, but the actual musical performances that goes to show that Paul and gene didnt have a Clue,lol

That's your biased interpretation. Considering where you are and where they are i would say they do have a clue.
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

Strutter67 wrote:
lespaul wrote:yes admirable thing to do, i agree

That's your biased interpretation. Considering where you are and where they are i would say they do have a clue.
biased? and you`re not?
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

I Guess you like the guitar solos better than Ace`s too ??
Deuce1231

Post by Deuce1231 »

Admin wrote:Geez, it's a sound-check live recording. Whatcha expecting. Overdubs?
Not to mention it was meant to be heard over a telephone, as opposed to a high-end audio setup.
Strutter67

Post by Strutter67 »

lespaul wrote:I Guess you like the guitar solos better than Ace`s too ??

No i'm not biased. You can think what you want. And no i don't like the solos better but that doesn't mean Tommy isn't playing them well. Right now Tommy is playing them better than Ace would. 70's? I'll take Ace anyday. No doubt, no hesitation. You really need to learn to separate your persoal feelings from reality
goinblind

Post by goinblind »

How can anyone listen to this and think Eric Singer is a good drummer? Robotic, and terrible choices in where/what to play.
Ikons

Post by Ikons »

I think it's a solid version.
Strutter67

Post by Strutter67 »

goinblind wrote:How can anyone listen to this and think Eric Singer is a good drummer? Robotic, and terrible choices in where/what to play.

Singer is a well respected drummer. Why you don't know that is beyond ridiculous
goinblind

Post by goinblind »

Strutter67 wrote:
goinblind wrote:How can anyone listen to this and think Eric Singer is a good drummer? Robotic, and terrible choices in where/what to play.

Singer is a well respected drummer. Why you don't know that is beyond ridiculous
I know why he's considered well respected by bands that hire him - he follows directions and can play to a click. That's it.

Ask any rock music fan (i.e. not a KISS or Sabbath fan boy) to name a song where they love his drumming and you will get crickets.
Strutter67

Post by Strutter67 »

goinblind wrote:
Strutter67 wrote:

I know why he's considered well respected by bands that hire him - he follows directions and can play to a click. That's it.

Ask any rock music fan (i.e. not a KISS or Sabbath fan boy) to name a song where they love his drumming and you will get crickets.

First Badlands album, Revenge, Alive III. He kicked ass. He's toned it down the last 2 albums but he hasn't played poorly by any means. I bought the first Badlands album not long after it came out. Never heard of Eric Singer at that point and was very impressed with his playing. Obviously long before KISS.
Sirscorps

Post by Sirscorps »

goinblind wrote:
Strutter67 wrote:

"chirp"

/Kiss, Sabbath, Badlands fan.
Fickdich

Post by Fickdich »

Paul's pipes were impressive back then.
Fickdich

Post by Fickdich »

double post
GermanKissFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by GermanKissFan »

Strutter67 wrote:

No i'm not biased. You can think what you want. And no i don't like the solos better but that doesn't mean Tommy isn't playing them well. Right now Tommy is playing them better than Ace would. 70's? I'll take Ace anyday. No doubt, no hesitation. You really need to learn to separate your persoal feelings from reality
Ehm... Bruce.
I Am A FREAK

Post by I Am A FREAK »

C wrote:Why did they Choose to re-record Strutter back in '95, since they recorded one in '78
I like it very much. I love to hear re-recording of their classic .... I like his modern sounds, cool stuff :thumright:
Planet Caravan

Post by Planet Caravan »

Interesting. Sounds like the music was recorded at soundcheck and the vocals were overdubbed afterwards.

I don't understand why Singer changed Peter's famous drum roll (the one at the intro that gets repeated a few times throughout the song). The way he played it, it was missing a whole beat & that made the song jerk awkwardly.

Vocals & guitars were fine.
ejluther
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by ejluther »

like hiring Eric Singer, who is just not naturally wired (get it?)
Nope, I don't get it (I'm sure it's obvious to others but not me)...
Kissologist
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Kissologist »

Not bad.

But I think that lineup could've made it a little better :)
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

Strutter67 wrote:

I wasnt talking about Ace from the last twenty years,and Its not about Tommy either. What Bruce came up With was simply awful,why change a classic solo for something thats just blah?? Vinnie Vincent was awful too
I Am A FREAK

Post by I Am A FREAK »

lespaul wrote:
Strutter67 wrote:

I wasnt talking about Ace from the last twenty years,and Its not about Tommy either. What Bruce came up With was simply awful,why change a classic solo for something thats just blah?? Vinnie Vincent was awful too
Whereas the original is always the best I think is nice to explore new ideas, personally I like to listen to new versions of their classics :mrgreen:
goinblind

Post by goinblind »

Strutter67 wrote:
goinblind wrote:
Strutter67 wrote:

First Badlands album, Revenge, Alive III. He kicked ass. He's toned it down the last 2 albums but he hasn't played poorly by any means. I bought the first Badlands album not long after it came out. Never heard of Eric Singer at that point and was very impressed with his playing. Obviously long before KISS.
I like the first Badlands album, too. But his drumming is generic. Between Badlands, Revenge, and everything else he's recorded, I can't name a single drum part that stuck out or that I thought was cool, or that I even play air drums to when I'm listening.

Peter Criss, Bill Ward, John Bonham, even guys like Lee Kerslake and Tommy Lee - they have countless parts that are memorable. Eric Singer just has no creative drumming, and in this case of Strutter, screws up the creative parts that someone else played. And he plays like a robot. He's not a good drummer. He's just a good employee that plays drums and makes it easier in the studio because he can play like a robot to a click.
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

and the drummer that replaced singer in Badlands was so much better. i can hear the singer fans going " nooo", lol
120 Decibels Jr.
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by 120 Decibels Jr. »

333.jpg
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

now thats a great record :)
PUNCHLINE

Post by PUNCHLINE »

goinblind wrote:
Strutter67 wrote:
goinblind wrote:
Strutter67 wrote:

I like the first Badlands album, too. But his drumming is generic. Between Badlands, Revenge, and everything else he's recorded, I can't name a single drum part that stuck out or that I thought was cool, or that I even play air drums to when I'm listening.

Peter Criss, Bill Ward, John Bonham, even guys like Lee Kerslake and Tommy Lee - they have countless parts that are memorable. Eric Singer just has no creative drumming, and in this case of Strutter, screws up the creative parts that someone else played. And he plays like a robot. He's not a good drummer. He's just a good employee that plays drums and makes it easier in the studio because he can play like a robot to a click.
Playing to a click, how horrible! Must be a really shitty drummer!

:roll:

Ironic given your avatar that Bobby Rock used to play to one live too with the Invasion....
Deuce1231

Post by Deuce1231 »

Strutter67 wrote:
goinblind wrote:
Strutter67 wrote:

Black Sabbath: Seventh Star and Eternal Idol.

Gary Moore

Lita Ford