Help  •  Register  •  Login

Just the same, feel the pain

<<

Australia1980

Might as well be the Admin!

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Just the same, feel the pain

When KISS did Sure Know Something at the MTV Unplugged taping, Paul ends the first verse with "You broke my heart and I still can feel the pain" as opposed to the lyrics on the studio version, "Late at night I still want you just the same". Was this intentional?

I checked a few acoustic performances of this song, some in 1995, then Symphony, and then some from the meet and greets of recent years, and in every clip I saw, he sings the original Dynasty lyrics. Seems like MTV Unplugged was the only time he altered the lyrics (and, I believe, they only plated Sure Know Something once during the entire MTV Unplugged session). Am I correct on these things?

PS If it was a mistake, kudos to Gene and Eric for seamlessly chiming in with backing vocals featuring the incorrect lyrics; shows that they were really paying attention

@1:06

Or click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuBCdfQ7nZc

PPS ^ what a performance...
<<

Thunderous_Lay

2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Re: Just the same, feel the pain

So... was he thinking of Donna Dixon or something...?! Inquisitive minds want to know, errrrr, I mean, I'm asking for a friend.

8) :lol:

- -

Jest aside, good catch, but I assume they rehearsed it like that and the change was intended, not a spur of the moment.
<<

Where's Drago?

Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Location: Bringing the KISS Army ideaology to the Rhondda valleys and beyond

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Damn!

In all these years, I never realised Bruce plays the solo on this, whereas this is clearly a Paul solo, yeah?

So there we go: wrong lyrics and a Paul solo not played by Paul.
<<

SaintN'Sinner83

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Paul altered the lyrics on this track on Unplugged and Gene did the same for "Goin' Blind". Odd.
<<

Ikons

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:19 pm

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote:Paul altered the lyrics on this track on Unplugged and Gene did the same for "Goin' Blind". Odd.

At least the Goin' Blind change has some meaning behind it. He probably thought it was fun to bring that original line back.
<<

soeuropean

Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:12 pm

He just screwed it up. He had a cheat sheet of lyrics for that song on the ground for the taping, he must have struggled with remembering the sequence. Not sure where I saw that, it *may* have been in the KISS Rocks The World Metal Edge special from 1997, that had a big feature on the Unplugged show with a bunch of photos.

- what did he do during Symphony and the Rove Live performance of the same song?
<<

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:05 pm

Paul screwed up the lyrics on SKS, but Gene & Eric saved the day with their backing vocals.

Gene didn't screw up Goin' Blind, and it's a great version as is Sure Know Something.
<<

BeachJediSC

Vinnie's Tupperware Party Assistant!
Vinnie's Tupperware Party Assistant!

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Didn't Gene also alter the lyrics to A World Without Heroes in the Unplugged show?
I'll be completely honest: When Gene alters lyrics during a live performance, I end up having a 50-50 argument in my head(pun intended) which goes something like "man, what a f*ck up"......"wait, that change makes a ton of sense!"....."no it doesn't, it's a blazing contradiction"....."but holy sh*t, doesn't that contradiction make it pretty damn cool?"
Then I typically realize I've overthought the whole damn thing. Sometimes I just ain't all there. :oops:
<<

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:06 am

BeachJediSC wrote:Didn't Gene also alter the lyrics to A World Without Heroes in the Unplugged show?
I'll be completely honest: When Gene alters lyrics during a live performance, I end up having a 50-50 argument in my head(pun intended) which goes something like "man, what a f*ck up"......"wait, that change makes a ton of sense!"....."no it doesn't, it's a blazing contradiction"....."but holy sh*t, doesn't that contradiction make it pretty damn cool?"
Then I typically realize I've overthought the whole damn thing. Sometimes I just ain't all there. :oops:

:lol:

And yes, Gene did kinda "alter" the lyrics in AWWH.

:thumright:
<<

banks

Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:28 am

I've always thought it was a mistake from Paul, because after they have followed Paul's incorrect lyric with their backing vocals you can see Gene smiling at Eric (who doesn't smile back).
<<

Klankh79

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:31 am

soeuropean wrote: ...KISS Rocks The World Metal Edge special from 1997, that had a big feature on the Unplugged show with a bunch of photos.

i have that. i dont remember there being anything about Unplugged in there. i should go back and look at it. i have about 20 magazines from '89-'DRC movie era.....ill bet reading some of that stuff again would be a real gas!

Return to GENERAL KISS DISCUSSION