Other KISS Demo/Recording Sessions
Essentially, official recording sessions which may not have ever seen the light of day.
This is very much a preliminary work which includes associated bands...
LIPS: RCA DEMO
Recorded Early 22 February 1972
The only recording of Lips as a quartet with Peter Criss (Drums/Vocals), Stan Penridge (Guitars/Vocals), Michael
Benvenga (Bass/Vocals), and John Amato (Rhythm Guitar). This demo was paid for by Karma Sutra records.
01. Baby Driver
02. Don't You Let Me Down (Short Version)
03. Dirty Livin'
04. You're My Woman
05. Don't You Let Me Down (Original Version)
LIPS: BELL SOUND STUDIOS DEMO
Recorded Early 1972 after RCA
Lips as Peter Criss (Drums/Vocals), Stan Penridge (Guitars/Vocals), and Michael
Benvenga (Bass/Vocals). This demo was paid for by Karma Sutra records.
01. Don't You Let Me Down
02. Don't Let The Blues Surround You (Love, Love, Love)
03. Hooked On Rock And Roll
04. I'm Gonna Love You
05. That's The Kind Of Sugar Papa Likes
Recorded Nov. 1971 - July 1972
Produced by Ron Johnson; Engineered by Dave Whitman;
Recorded at Electric Lady Studios, New York City, NY, November 1971 - July 1972;
This attempt at an album consisted of various non-consecutive sessions which saw the songs transform from demos, early on
with Steven Coronel, to the latter tracks with Ronnie Leejack, through various mixes.
A1. Sweet Ophelia (3:06) - Barry Mann, Gerry Goffin
A2. Keep Me Waiting (3:23) - Paul Stanley
A3. Love Her All I Can (2:35) - Paul Stanley
A4. Simple Type (2:40) - Gene Simmons
A5. She (3:07) - Gene Simmons, Steven Coronel
B1. Too Many Mondays (3:44) - Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil
B2. (What Happens) In The Darkness (3:10) - Tamy Smith
B3. When The Bell Rings (3:25) - George Robertson, Chris Welch
B4. Molly (2:37) - Paul Stanley
B5. (We Want To) Shout It Out Loud (2:49) - Alan Clarke, Terry Sylvester
Recorded March 1973
Produced and engineered by Dave Wittman supervised by Eddie Kramer;
Recorded at Electric Lady Studios, New York City, NY, and completed by March 13, 1973.
01. Deuce (3:27) - Simmons
02. Cold Gin (4:59) - Frehley
03. Strutter (4:57) - Stanley/Simmons
04. Watching You (3:41) - Simmons
05. Black Diamond (3:37) - Stanley
SALT AND PEPPER
Unknown location for Eric Carr's pre-KISS band's demos.
01. Just My Imagination
02. Black Magic Woman
Unknown location for Eric Carr's pre-KISS band's demos.
02. Baby, I Want You
04. Down By The River
05. Work Song
06. Something Telling Me
07. Looker Of The Glass
08. I'm So Lonely
09. What Are You Today?
10. Fairy Shoemaker
11. Drum/Bass Practice Session
13. Rock Steady
KISS: LIVE AT THE DAISY
Recorded June 1973
Recorded and mixed by Eddie Solon. * was alternatively known as "Want You Beside Me" due to what resembled the chorus. ** with exended outro section similar to what was replicated on the first LP. + from the partial second set.
01. Nothin' To Lose (6:17) - Simmons
03. Firehouse (4:56) - Stanley
03. Life In The Woods* (7:51) - Simmons/Stanley
04. Simple Type (8:37) - Simmons
05. Acrobat (6:32) - Simmons/Stanley/Frehley/Criss
06. Deuce (5:25) - Simmons
07. 100,000 Years (6:27) - Stanley/Simmons
08. Black Diamond** (7:56) - Stanley
09. Strutter+ (6:19) - Simmons/Stanley
10. Watchin' You+ (7:13) - Simmons
11. Sunday Driver+ (3:37) - Stanley
KISS: 23RD STREET LOFT REHEARSALS
Recorded September 3-25, 1973
Recorded at the band's loft, likely in preparation for the Le Tang audition. (Noted by Jeff Suhs in KISS Magazine #2)
03. Watchin' You
04. Let Me Know
05. Life In The Woods
KISS: BELL SOUND STUDIO DEMOS
Recorded September 24/25, 1973
The Bell Sound demos were essentially a quick and dirty recording of KISS' song catalog that existed at that point
for consideration and selection of what would be recorded for the debut album. Tracks 1-4 were released on KISS'
2001 Box Set, tracks 8-18 are pure conjecture of what is known to have been in KISS' sets at the time which may or may not
have been recorded.
01. Let Me Know
02. 100,000 Years
03. Let Me Go, Rock 'N Roll
06. Nothin' To Lose
07. Let Me Know
09. Love Her All I Can
10. Simple Type
11. Keep Me Waiting
12. Life In The Woods
15. Black Diamond
16. Go Now
17. Watchin' You
18. Cold Gin
KISS: HOTTER THAN HELL DEMOS
Recorded July 1974
Recorded at Minot Sound Studios, New York. "Who's Your Baby" is the original title of "Got To Choose."
(Noted by Jeff Suhs in KISS Magazine #5)
01. Mainline (0:00) - Stanley
02. Parasite (0:00) - Frehley
03. All The Way (0:00) - Simmons
04. Who's Your Baby (0:00) - Stanley
KISS: DRESSED TO KILL DEMOS
Recorded January 1975
Recorded at Larabee Studios, Los Angeles. "Mistake" had been written for the first album, but had not been used at
the time. (Noted by Jeff Suhs in KISS Magazine #5)
01. Burning Up With Fever (0:00) - Simmons
02. Anything For My Baby (0:00) - Stanley
03. Rock And Roll All Nite (0:00) - Simmons/Stanley
04. Mistake (0:00) - Simmons
PETER CRISS/STAN PENRIDGE "DYNASTY" DEMOS
Produced by Stan Penridge and Vini Poncia; Recorded at ODO studios, New York City.
01. Dirty Livin' (4:38) - Penridge/Criss
02. Rumble (4:42) - Penridge/Criss/Poncia
03. Out Of Control (3:32) - Penridge/Criss
04. There's Nothing Better (3:37) - Penridge/Criss
LET ME ROCK YOU DEMOS
Recorded Spring 1982
Demos not used on the album.
01. Jenilee - Criss/Roberge
02. Rock And Roll Survivor - Seltzer
THE PENRIDGE/CRISS ALLIANCE
Recorded Early 1983
Produced by Stan "Doc" Penridge; Recorded at
Cinderella Studios in Madison, TN in early 1985. Peter Criss sings lead vocals and plays precussion.
Band consisted of Stan Penridge (Vocals, Guitar), Alan Woody (Bass), Benny Harrison (Synthesizer, Keyboards, Vocals),
and Tony Mercadante (Guitar, Vocals).
01. Baby, Hold On - Penridge
02. Never Met A Woman - Buisset
03. Forever With You
Peter's demo recordings with Mark.
01. Love For Sale (3:44) - Criss/Russell
02. Between The Lines (5:14) - Criss/St. John/Delong
03. Do Ya Know What I Mean (3:05) - Michaels
04. Been A Long Time (3:14) - Criss/St. John
05. All Night Long (4:42) - Criss/St. John
Recorded Early 1991
First selection of demo material. Some of the earlier Mark St. John material was re-recorded for the demo with
Phil on vocals. The band consists of Peter, Phil, Mark Montague, and Ray Carrion.
01. Love For Sale (3:48) - Criss/Russell
02. Blue Moon Over Brooklyn (4:47) - Criss/Naro
03. Do Ya Know What I Mean (3:09) - Michaels
04. Between The Lines (5:22) - Criss/St. John/Delong
05. Minute To Rock 'N Roll (4:29) - Criss/Naro
06. No I'm Not Afraid (5:00) - Criss/Naro
07. Bad People Burn In Hell (3:38) - Criss/Naro
CRISS DEMO #2
Recorded Spring 1991
Second selection of demo material.
01. Spread The Words - Criss/Naro
02. First One To Admit It - Criss/Naro
03. All In This Together - Criss/Naro